1/7/24 Week #18 GAMEDAY Bills at Dolphins PregameThread Edit: Jags lost WE’RE IN!

11 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

This is still a big game for seeding but...

After that Jax loss, anyone else feel like they can relax a lot more and just enjoy the game?

Yes. I will be much  less of a basket case now.

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

Agreed, I was treating them as independent events.  But I think you'd need a strong basis to assume that they can't be approximately treated as independent.  That is, how does the very recent game specifically impact the next game?  

With the premise of gameplan and winning individual matchups having influence on outcomes of games, I would postulate that both are different when preparing to play a team twice. 

For starters, you may be more likely to hold back on the first game "to not show all your cards".  Secondly, the prep for the second game makes you not want to use the same plan.  Additionally, the prep for the 2nd game is done with actual tape of the other team against your guys, as opposed to watching them play against other teams/systems.  Essentially, decision making in prep and in game is different in both game one and game 2.  The result of all of this seems like coaching would have more opportunity to overcome talent differences.

The second factor is the player factor.  Whether it's your overall emotions going into a game, the feelings you have for the guy across the line, or your ability to adapt to what you went against a week ago.  Even the thought of "they're a good team, how can we beat them twice in a row" would have the potential to impact individual performances.

All of these factors could contribute to changes in the probability of winning each game vs an isolated game in a vacuum.  I have no clue how much or even which direction the impact would go. 

I'm with you overall on gamblers fallacy being prevalent in most people's understanding of chance.  I wish I had enough data to analyze, but some of the fun of watching the games is that it's not all based on chance. If I had to guess, I would postulate that both the first and second games of a known or probable back to back situation move closer to 50/50 than the vacuum odds of the two teams.

Edited by Rew
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Got no problem with Von active.  He's one of 5 DEs.  He needs to show if he can do anything in the playoffs, so if he plays

well tonight he will be active, if not he sits.  Let's find out now once and for all.

Yeah I think this was mcBean plan all along … healthy scratch last week for the first time in his career to send the message.. then activate in week 18.,. It’s up to him tonight if he wants to play the rest of the way.. show up tonight or shutdown the rest of the way.. they know it’s not physical, it’s mental and Von just had to finally let it rip without worry about the integrity of the knee.

Edited by julian
  • Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

This is still a big game for seeding but...

After that Jax loss, anyone else feel like they can relax a lot more and just enjoy the game?

This is a big game for reasons outside of the playoffs.

The Bills are the big brother/father in the division. Everybody remembers the first time they beat their brother/dad in a race, basketball game, round of golf etc. 

Smack them down and keep them in their place for not just the playoffs, but the next season as well. 

1 minute ago, julian said:

Yeah I think this was mcBean plan all along … healthy scratch last week for the first time in his career to send the message.. then activate in week 18.,. It’s up to him tonight if he wants to play the rest of the way.. show up tonight or shutdown the rest of the way.. they know it’s not physical, it’s mental and Von just had to finally let it rip without worry about the integrity of the knee.

I agree with part of this but not all of it.

I am not sure Von would be active today had the Jags won today. Von gets one more bite at the apple because we some security. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, HurlyBurly51 said:

image.png.cc185f2f7a3dbf4d0055f24d4dbabb6a.png

It would be hilarious if the Bills brought TKO back for the KC game to make it up to him, only to put him back in the same suite, just this time with Taylor Swift. 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

The #2 seed would mean sending the Dolphins to KC. A Chiefs win over the Dolphins sends Mahomes on the road in the playoffs for the first time, at Buffalo ... I so want to see that.

Not sure they even win to get to us.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Why in the world is Von active when he’s limping?

Over Kingsley Jonathan who plays is tail off? 

Give him incentives before they cut him in the off season?

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, just might be the reason.

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Wow, 5 straight seasons!  Gotta give McDermott credit, he really did change the culture around here and Beane for putting a winner on the field....

Let's Go Buffalo!

Sean McDermott

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Exactly. So why make Von active?

To your last sentence… what leads you to believe that?

Because... he's better in pass rush than run support.

Like, that's his thing.

Look, he has in no way played up to his contract this year but the idea that he had no effect on the field is incorrect 

• Haha (+1) 1

Today has been a day with a couple of teams breaking their losing streaks vs their divisional arch rival.  

I hope that does not continue tonight.  

The bills will go as their defensive line goes and their running game goes tonight imo.  I hope Buffalo makes this a physical earn every yard game.

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is a big game for reasons outside of the playoffs.

The Bills are the big brother/father in the division. Everybody remembers the first time they beat their brother/dad in a race, basketball game, round of golf etc. 

Smack them down and keep them in their place for not just the playoffs, but the next season as well. 

I agree with part of this but not all of it.

I am not sure Von would be active today had the Jags won today. Von gets one more bite at the apple because we some security. 

That’s fair, I think this played out the way McBean had hoped.. I’m not expecting anything from Von, but it’s up to him now.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Got no problem with Von active.  He's one of 5 DEs.  He needs to show if he can do anything in the playoffs, so if he plays

well tonight he will be active, if not he sits.  Let's find out now once and for all.

Hall of Famers show up for these kind of games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Road games aren’t a big deal imo. Potential for better weather and our fans travel well, plus our run game and D have been solid and that travels well too. We had the home game and snow last year for cincy and it was useless. 

Screenshot2024-01-07195128.thumb.png.50f5e949856f3c2d33e1fc8eb1a56571.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Who makes up these ridiculous “odds to make the playoffs” percentages?

5 weeks ago the Jags “percent” was 96? Based on what? And they didn’t make it?
It’s a bunch of water cooler B.S..

There are two percentages…. 100 you’re in, 0 you’re out.

Ny Times is the main culprit I think. Agreed, bullspit.

• Dislike 1

29 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's not a limp lol

28 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I've watched 3 times looking for a limp and don't see it.

It's a limp on that his rotation in the hip is not fluid. He just has a limp. I wish I knew the kinesiology to describe it but I know a limp when I see one. 

1 hour ago, Rew said:

That's true for independent events.  However, playing the same team twice (especially back to back) are not independent events.  Play calling, gameplan, player familiarity, on field drama all play into a rematch.  You can argue the extent of the real world factors, but you can't simply treat them as dice rolls.

This sheds some light on the conversation: https://www.footballperspective.com/how-hard-is-it-to-beat-a-team-three-times-in-one-season/

54 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Murray inactive 

Not surprisingly Leonard Fournette getting a chance to make his case for the postseason roster.

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Road games aren’t a big deal imo. Potential for better weather and our fans travel well, plus our run game and D have been solid and that travels well too. We had the home game and snow last year for cincy and it was useless. 

I think the biggest difference between last year and this year is that the Bills are much stouter in the trenches, on both sides of the ball.

Our softness there was one of the takeaways from last season and that was not lost on McBeane.

It bears mentioning that if Josh scores a rushing TD today he will set the record for most rushing TDs by a QB in a single season. At this moment he tied with Jalen Hurts for the record with 15.

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Josh still throwing more sidearm than good fundamentals would dictate.

• Agree 1

Just now, boyst said:

It's a limp on that his rotation in the hip is not fluid. He just has a limp. I wish I knew the kinesiology to describe it but I know a limp when I see one. 

I mean it's not a limp in the way someone who is injured walks w a limp

That's just an athlete walking normally

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.