New England Week

TFBillsfan

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Define success.  To me success on first down, or any down, is staying ahead of the sticks.  Making the next down manageable.  Excluding the last drive where they obviously burned clock and the fumble drive, the Bills ran the ball on first down 13 times.  The average first down carry was 4.4 yards.  That to me is a success on first down.  

I’m not a great stats guy, I tend to just go by what I think I see (and trust me I am often wrong) and use stats to confirm or deny my initial impressions.

Also, as a disclaimer, I absolutely LOVE running the ball, I mean look at my username. I was ecstatic with the Dallas game. But, I also think we are a pass first team because that’s where our greatest weapon operates mostly and having good balance is the key. 

These stats are from Truemedia via Cover1. The Bills ran on first down 18 times which was 78% of the time, they threw on first down 5x. Yes, they average 4.1 ypc when running which isn’t bad. They threw 5 times on first down. The crap screen to Diggs to start, the TD to Gabe, the other big throw to Gabe, and 2 good gainers to Knox. The EPA for passing on first down was 1.66 which is ridiculously good. We average 0.91 which is 7th in the league. Given that success I’d have liked Brady to throw a bit more on first to be less predictable.

So, all I’m saying is that although I love running the ball, I thought Brady was a little predictable on first and second down. I’d have liked a more pass centric game plan but Josh was getting pressured quick and his accuracy didn’t seem to be great. Hey, the game plan worked even if it was another nail biter against a team we had a significant talent advantage over.

The bottom line is we won the game so this is all academic BS. I’m hoping he his game-plan against NE takes more advantage of their weaknesses which doesn’t mean not running the ball but having a more pass-centric plan that will open up the run.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, finn said:

Another difference, this one negative, is that they have Von Miller back... I wondered who was the defensive end who didn't seem to be even trying. It's Von Miller. He seems content to be steered out of the play every time and be a spectator to Ed Oliver's disruptive mayhem... Might be best to deactivate him and put a productive player on the field. 

16 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Nope - he just needs live action in 39 more games and then he’ll be good to go!

The true path is in the middle. He'll never recover his form unless he gets an appreciable amount of game snaps. Everyone's dogging Von now and based on his play, justifiably.

But I'm hoping he regains the confidence to push his body to the limits soon. I believe most of what's holding him back is mental.

13 hours ago, Prospector said:

Have Zo roam around looking for Billacheat videographers in the stands. Marshal law

Marshall law in combination with corporal punishment!

8 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

Hey, the game plan worked even if it was another nail biter against a team we had a significant talent advantage over.

The bottom line is we won the game so this is all academic BS. I’m hoping he his game-plan against NE takes more advantage of their weaknesses which doesn’t mean not running the ball but having a more pass-centric plan that will open up the run.

And a big reason it was a nail biter is because Josh was not sharp.

Brady wisely recognized the need to alleviate pressure from Josh... not compound it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Bills just released their backup RT to open a roster spot…. 

Backup to backup RT.  Bates is on roster for flexibility which they have not needed this year.

David Edwards has had 12.9% of snaps mostly as a 6th lineman.

Ryan Bates has had 3.24% of snaps mostly as substitute in blowout games.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Buffalo Bills vs. New England Patriots — Revenge in mind for Week 17

https://www.buffalorumblings.com

1774546640.0.jpg

The Bills dropped a much-needed Week 7 game to the Patriots at Gillette Stadium — now it’s time for a hostile Highmark Stadium crowd to make their voices heard

The Bills are currently 13-point favorites over the Patriots, with the over/under set at 40. It seems that bettors are prepared for a bit of a defensive battle in Orchard Park, NY.

Will the team that steamrolled the Dallas Cowboys (-5.5) during inclement weather show up, or will we see a more methodical approach by head coach Sean McDermott and interim offensive coordinator Joe Brady?

Earlier this season, Buffalo was dealt a deflating blow in their Week 7 loss at Gillette Stadium, where quarterback Mac Jones had a fantastic day, culminating in an eight-play, 75-yard touchdown drive inside the two-minute warning. The Bills’ defense was unable to contain a suddenly lethal Patriots passing attack, which left quarterback Josh Allen and Buffalo’s offense a mere 12 game seconds to try and overcome a four-point deficit.

The Bills were unable to match New England’s execution all afternoon, forced into an unsuccessful game of catch-up until the very end. That Massachusetts victory became head coach Bill Belichick’s 300th all-time in the NFL — placing him third behind Don Shula (328) and George Halas (318)

The Bills’ offensive line has played lights out this season, and that’s helped running back James Cook has developed into a premiere multi-purpose threat out of the backfield, and that should benefit the Bills down the stretch as they look to keep defenses honest... and confused on any given down.

Whether this is Belichick’s AFC East swan song or not, the Patriots are for sure to be fired up and ready to spoil the New Year for the Buffalo Bills, the same as they did for the Denver Broncos (-3.5) holiday last weekend.

32 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Buffalo Bills vs. New England Patriots — Revenge in mind for Week 17

https://www.buffalorumblings.com

quarterback Mac Jones had a fantastic day, culminating in an eight-play, 75-yard touchdown drive inside the two-minute warning. The Bills’ defense was unable to contain a suddenly lethal Patriots passing attack, which left quarterback Josh Allen and Buffalo’s offense a mere 12 game seconds to try and overcome a four-point deficit.

🤮 this makes me sicker than every other Bills ***** up this year, and there have been plenty of games the Bills should of won, but gave away🤮🤮🤮

Edited by Pete
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

🤮 this makes me sicker than every other Bills ***** up this year, and there have been plenty of games the Bills should of won, but gave away🤮🤮🤮

Don't forget the bs illegal downfield penalty they picked back up on the final drive. Don't get me wrong, Bills deserved to lose that game, but them picking up that penalty is what cost us the win.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Bferra13 said:

Don't forget the bs illegal downfield penalty they picked back up on the final drive. Don't get me wrong, Bills deserved to lose that game, but them picking up that penalty is what cost us the win.

No one blows out Buffalo.  To beat Buffalo, it’s usually several of these scenarios-

-bad ref calls on Bills halting offensive 3rd down conversion and Bills 3rd down stops

-Bills sloppy with ball, losing turnover battle

-losing most every fumble, seldom recovering our own

-spectacular defensive plays against us

-unbelievable catches against us

-50+ FG over yards in awful conditions 

-cowardly kneeling down with 2 time outs, 20 seconds, and Josh ***** Allen as our QB

If the Bills play a clean game and don’t get jobbed by the refs- no one is beating Buffalo on that day

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Josh Allen's heartwarming reunion with former Bills teammate (video)

Allen is a great teammate and we love to see the love

between two teammates and the quarterback’s genuine

care for his teammate and their family.

Hauch $

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Backup to backup RT.  Bates is on roster for flexibility which they have not needed this year.

We’ve been VERY lucky in this regard. Knock On Wood Fingers Crossed GIF by giphystudios2021

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Josh Allen's heartwarming reunion with former Bills teammate (video)

Allen is a great teammate and we love to see the love

between two teammates and the quarterback’s genuine

care for his teammate and their family.

and in that game Bass makes a FG with the season on the line coincidence? 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Brown needs all the practice he can get. I keep hearing how he's doing well this year, but every time I see him, he's whiffing on a block. In fact, I'd love to see a clip of him NOT whiffing on a block he has to hold for more than a beat or two.

E.g., look at that terrific pass Allen made to Shakir to ice the Chargers game. Yes, it was a blitz, but you want your linemen to pick up someone, and Brown whiffs completely. Earlier in the game, he got called for tripping because he was so badly deked he fell on the ground and from there deliberately tripped his man, negating a terrific Allen throw. He gets beaten by power, quickness, AND speed. 

Please persuade me that his pass pro is not putrid (without resorting to PFF ratings, if possible.) I will feel much better reassured that he will not single-handedly doom the Bills' chances from here on. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, finn said:

Brown needs all the practice he can get. I keep hearing how he's doing well this year, but every time I see him, he's whiffing on a block. In fact, I'd love to see a clip of him NOT whiffing on a block he has to hold for more than a beat or two.

E.g., look at that terrific pass Allen made to Shakir to ice the Chargers game. Yes, it was a blitz, but you want your linemen to pick up someone, and Brown whiffs completely. Earlier in the game, he got called for tripping because he was so badly deked he fell on the ground and from there deliberately tripped his man, negating a terrific Allen throw. He gets beaten by power, quickness, AND speed. 

Please persuade me that his pass pro is not putrid (without resorting to PFF ratings, if possible.) I will feel much better reassured that he will not single-handedly doom the Bills' chances from here on. 

Spencer Brown has improved this season but I'm always concerned that he's gonna give up the big play at the worst time possible.

We're very lucky that Josh is the league's best at avoiding sacks... it often seems like he sees the problem rusher, pre-snap.

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.