NFL will look at the fumble-out-of-end-zone rule

Rubes

NFL will look at the fumble-out-of-end-zone rule

It's the worst rule in football. And perhaps it will be changing.

NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent told reporters on Wednesday that the league will look at the current rules regarding fumbles out of the end zone.

It unreasonably punishes the offense. It unfairly rewards the defense. It happens when a player loses control and the ball goes out of bounds after entering the end zone. If the ball trickles out of bounds just before the goal line, the offense keeps possession at the spot of the fumble. If the ball nicks the pylon, it's a touchback, with the defense getting the ball at the 20.

Good riddance, hope they come to their senses.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

Giving the opposing team the possession of the ball for potentially doing nothing is perfect?  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I’d give the ball to the offense somewhere between the 10 and the 20.  The defense shouldn’t get the ball unless they recover it imo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

6 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

If you fumble the ball out of the end zone call it a Safety ... 2 points and the ball for the non fumbling team following the "punt" from the 20.

So you think a defensive team that just stands there and watches a player fumble the ball out of the end zone they’re defending should get 2 points and the ball?  🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by NewEra
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

So you think a defensive team that just stands there and watches a player fumble the ball out of the end zone they’re defending should get 2 points and the ball?  🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Yes ... If you fumble the ball out of your own end zone you deserve to have your opponent get 2 points and the ball. (which is what I thought we were talking about)

If you fumble the ball out of the end zone you're trying to score in you should just lose the ball, opponent gets it at the 20.

• Disagree 2

12 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Yes ... If you fumble the ball out of your own end zone you deserve to have your opponent get 2 points and the ball. (which is what I thought we were talking about)

If you fumble the ball out of the end zone you're trying to score in you should just lose the ball, opponent gets it at the 20.

This is about the ball going oob in the end zone the offense is trying to score on.  

Regarding the bolded-  how you stated it is how it currently stands.  The nfl is talking about changing it because it unfairly rewards the defense/very harsh punishment for the offense

28 minutes ago, Realist said:

I would say, play it like an incomplete pass. Ball goes out of the end zone, go back to the original line of scrimmage and next down.

This makes sense for sure

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Imo the yards gained need to be accounted for 

Maybe half the distance forward 

I could see losing the yards gained as a decent punishment for losing the ball in a key area.  

As long as the offense keeps the ball, I’m ok with most scenarios.  Giving the defense the ball is just insane to me

My wife decided to really learn football this year. She’s a Notre Dame alum so she watches the Irish and Bills but just knew TDs were good.

She now knows the difference between a free safety and a strong safety; can call intentional grounding a mile away, and knows was a 12 formation is.

We were watching an NFC game as those are the ones I can pause and show her things she has questions on. During one of them she said “wait; how is that not a catch?”  I told her I’ve been watching football closely for 43 years (yes, I started watching in the delivery room), and that is a question I simply can’t answer. 

So, while the fumble through the EZ is a bad rule, the definition of a catch is far far worse. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is the best solution IMO. 

Why not just place the ball at the spot of the fumble?

So if a team is at the 50, completes a bomb and guy fumbled at the 1, ball goes all the way back to the 50?

Either way, both solutions are better than the current rule which makes zero sense. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

What would they change it to?  Offense gets the ball at the 1?  It can't be a TD.

Think it's the rewarding defense if the ball touches pylon.  In my view once the plain is breached its a td   can throw the ball to ground in celebration.

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This is about the ball going oob in the end zone the offense is trying to score on.  

Regarding the bolded-  how you stated it is how it currently stands.  The nfl is talking about changing it because it unfairly rewards the defense/very harsh punishment for the offense

This makes sense for sure

I could see losing the yards gained as a decent punishment for losing the ball in a key area.  

As long as the offense keeps the ball, I’m ok with most scenarios.  Giving the defense the ball is just insane to me

I'm thinking it's a fumble sure but when the ball goes out of the endzone imo it's not like the defense should be rewarded a ton just because the offense happened to lose it here rather than anywhere else

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The nfl is talking about changing it because it unfairly rewards the defense/very harsh punishment for the offense

Allowing them to keep the ball is unfairly gifting the Offense even though they screwed up.

Lesson here ... Don't fumble the ball near the end zone or pay the price.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

A lot of you folks are overthinking it. The problem with the current rules is they are not consistent across the whole field and the solution is to make them consistent. If you fumble out of bounds backwards through your own end zone the ball is spotted where it goes out (a safety). If you fumble forward through the opponents end zone the ball goes back to the spot of the fumble. Simple. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Giving the opposing team the possession of the ball for potentially doing nothing is perfect?  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I’d give the ball to the offense somewhere between the 10 and the 20.  The defense shouldn’t get the ball unless they recover it imo. 

Make fumbling the ball into the end zone that goes out of bounds/over then end line - a penalty [5?, 10?, 15? yards] from the spot of the fumble on the team that had possession before the fumble. The fumbling team keeps the ball, but are backed up from the goal line a bit.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Realist said:

I would say, play it like an incomplete pass. Ball goes out of the end zone, go back to the original line of scrimmage and next down.

Illegal forward fumble…10-15 yard penalty.

on the flip side…..

on kick offs…if the ball bounces twice in the field of play, then goes out of bounds the ball gets spotted there. One bounce and out makes it complicated for the kicking team fielding it.

Edited by djp14150

2 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

What would they change it to?  Offense gets the ball at the 1?  It can't be a TD.

only way to make everything consistent is to award the ball to the defense whenever someone fumbles out of bounds. This would add like one more turnover every three or four games, which is much needed.  Things are getting so boring with the mind-numbing ball control that goes on these days. 

Edited by Charles Romes

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Each team gets to choose 1 player from the opposing team (excluding Starting QB( to the 50 yard line. They will then take turns kicking each other in the groin until one guy concedes possession or passes out...

ROSHAMBO!!!

Knife edge death match!

f5e63b0cae68a5bbe4c94c4ba2713124160d84d7

Honestly don't have a problem with the original rule, the fact that the defense has a rule that benefits in a tight situation if the offense has a lapse in concentration isn't the worst thing. I mean we already just give the offense the ball back when they fumble and it goes out of bounds normally it's not like they even recover it or anything.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stevestojan said:

My wife decided to really learn football this year. She’s a Notre Dame alum so she watches the Irish and Bills but just knew TDs were good.

She now knows the difference between a free safety and a strong safety; can call intentional grounding a mile away, and knows was a 12 formation is.

We were watching an NFC game as those are the ones I can pause and show her things she has questions on. During one of them she said “wait; how is that not a catch?”  I told her I’ve been watching football closely for 43 years (yes, I started watching in the delivery room), and that is a question I simply can’t answer. 

So, while the fumble through the EZ is a bad rule, the definition of a catch is far far worse. 

I don't understand how you are 43 and I think of you as so much older than me 

The bigger issue they need to tackle is why a runner who has the ball in his hands automatically has a touchdown once the ball impedes any centimeter of the white line, play dead, touchdown over.   Yet a receiver who brings the ball into his hands while in the endzone has to shave his dog, eat three dinners, and send Christmas Cards while he continues to control the ball for it to be considered a score.   Runner jumps forward over a pile, ball touches the air where the line would be if it were elevated, defense swats it out of runners hand while in the air, touchdown.    Receiver brings the ball into his hands, gets two feet down in the end zone, falls out of bounds, ball moves an inch....not a touchdown.

Edited by thenorthremembers

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm thinking it's a fumble sure but when the ball goes out of the endzone imo it's not like the defense should be rewarded a ton just because the offense happened to lose it here rather than anywhere else

I hear ya

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Allowing them to keep the ball is unfairly gifting the Offense even though they screwed up.

Lesson here ... Don't fumble the ball near the end zone or pay the price.

It’s extensive and and unfair punishment. It’s seems like the nfl agrees and is looking to lessen the blow.  From my perusing social media today, the majority of the world agrees and also thinks the punishment is too harsh 

2 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Make fumbling the ball into the end zone that goes out of bounds/over then end line - a penalty [5?, 10?, 15? yards] from the spot of the fumble on the team that had possession before the fumble. The fumbling team keeps the ball, but are backed up from the goal line a bit.

Anything is an upgrade over its current system.  Just don’t give the defense the ball.  That’s all I really care about. Finding a common ground beyond that shouldn’t be too tough 

• Like (+1) 1

Enough NFL rules benefit the offense. The rule is fine and shouldn’t be changed. The point of football is to move the football across the gridiron and eventually across the opposing goal line. If you happen to lose possession before the goal line and the ball goes out of bounds you’re in luck - possession goes to the offense. If you lose possession and neither score nor lose it before the goal line is reached ( “ through “ the opposing end zone ) your possession ends. Makes perfect sense . Don’t like it ? It’s simple -don’t fumble. 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

The bigger issue they need to tackle is why a runner who has the ball in his hands automatically has a touchdown once the ball impedes any centimeter of the white line, play dead, touchdown over.   Yet a receiver who brings the ball into his hands while in the endzone has to shave his dog, eat three dinners, and send Christmas Cards while he continues to control the ball for it to be considered a score.   Runner jumps forward over a pile, ball touches the air where the line would be if it were elevated, defense swats it out of runners hand while in the air, touchdown.    Receiver brings the ball into his hands, gets two feet down in the end zone, falls out of bounds, ball moves an inch....not a touchdown.

The reason for that is pretty simple the runner already has possession of the ball so once he breaks the plane and is in the endzone it's a TD. For the WR he has to catch the ball that's really it, maybe it sucks because of how complicated they make that, but they're trying to balance it for the defense that they don't just give it to them when he didn't even manage to hang on to it. As to the out of bounds part that's just the same catch rule as if it wasn't a TD if it wouldn't count then it's not going to count in the endzone, meaning if you didn't secure it while you're in bounds then you caught it out of bounds, not a catch. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.