Araiza, accuser agree to dismiss civil lawsuits against each other

Draconator

7 hours ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Considering how bad Martin has been, can the Bills sign him back now?

This guy is not coming to the Bills ever again.  He was cut without any due process.  This is a really bad look for the Bills, and they have done exactly the opposite with Von Miller.  Seems like a dual standard/inconsistent process.  (yes, I used that word deliberately)  Stay with the process?  WHAT process?  He was the accused, not convicted.  He should still be punting for the Bills.  If Ariza were black, the racism allegations would be loud.  BTW he will never even talk to the Bills again.  Surprised most on this board don't see that.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

This guy is not coming to the Bills ever again.  He was cut without any due process.  This is a really bad look for the Bills, and they have done exactly the opposite with Von Miller.  Seems like a dual standard/inconsistent process.  (yes, I used that word deliberately)  Stay with the process?  WHAT process?  He was the accused, not convicted.  He should still be punting for the Bills.  If Ariza were black, the racism allegations would be loud.  BTW he will never even talk to the Bills again.  Surprised most on this board don't see that.

Yes. I agree. 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

And yet,they play Von Miller. I call BS on Beane. Ruined a young man's life for gut feelings? Putrid imo

I don’t want neither of these two men back with the Buffalo Bills regardless of the legal outcome. Because they both lack common sense and don’t know how to behave in civilized society. Buffalo Super Fan says no because they both lack common sense let them go to another NFL team with there stupidity you can’t win championships with people that put themselves in that situation. Especially when there are so many football players out there yearly that have common sense and know how to behave in civilized society playing by the rules in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, fan_in_tx said:

I would like to think they learned from their rush to judgement mistake with the Punt God and thus are not responding the same with Von...

The two situations are different for a variety of reasons (legally, contractually, etc).

There is nothing they learned from the Araiza situation that has anything to do with the Von Miler situation.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I don’t want neither of these two men back with the Buffalo Bills regardless of the legal outcome. Because they both lack common sense and don’t know how to behave in civilized society. Buffalo Super Fan says no because they both lack common sense let them go to another NFL team with there stupidity you can’t win championships with people that put themselves in that situation. Especially when there are so many football players out there yearly that have common sense and know how to behave in civilized society playing by the rules in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Third person? 

Vince Vaughn Lol GIF by filmeditor

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I wouldn't right now. As inconsistent as Martin has been he's also Bass's holder and that's something Araiza doesn't have exp with. Bass had had issues already and there in no way I mess with his holder this close to playoffs. Easily could cost us much more than a couple short punts.

Araiza was Bass's holder when Bass was having his best season

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

A little evangelical are we? 😎

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

He never punted for the Bills.

let him go.  He doesn't know you.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Ah he'd rather not play for anyone then.  That's a brilliant career strategy.  He'd sign if Beane called.

You don't know how excited I was to have both Bass and Araiza on Special Teams heading into the season. We were must-see TV on every side of the ball. I believe we had the most dynamic kicker-punter combo in football.

Come on Coach McDermott, give Araiza a second, third, and even fourth chance like we used to with Peterman back in the day.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Araiza was Bass's holder when Bass was having his best season

A little evangelical are we? 😎

Araiza didn't even make it TO the season. He was cut in pre season. Unless you mean his best pre season? And even in that time frame, I believe Haack was still holding for the majority of it.

16 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Happy for the kid. 

I think teams have been waiting for the matter to be completely settled on the Civil side to potentially give Araiza a look in the off-season, so hopefully that will happen now.

Beck, the matter is settled, and now it should be about 2nd chances whether it’s with us or another team.  It’s unrelated, but the Von mess is not helping.  It stinks in the court of public opinion, they should be seen as unrelated, but they won’t be by the media.

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Doc said:

It's the same guy representing her from the beginning and he's likely been working on contingency, while the civil trial is rapidly approaching, so it's not a money issue.  And if she thinks she has a good case, she'd see it through.  No they realize they will lose both civil suits and weren't able to scare him into a settlement.  And she likely has little money for him to recover anyway.

Is it not possible they simply came to an agreement outside of the courts and withdrew the cases?

17 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I wouldn't right now. As inconsistent as Martin has been he's also Bass's holder and that's something Araiza doesn't have exp with. Bass had had issues already and there in no way I mess with his holder this close to playoffs. Easily could cost us much more than a couple short punts.

Thats an odd coincidence as Bass' form has dipped with Martin as the holder and that might be another reason to jettison Martin.

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

Thats an odd coincidence as Bass' form has dipped with Martin as the holder and that might be another reason to jettison Martin.

From what I have seen there hasn't been a single case of a botched hold. Laces out. I'll take a deeper look today if I get some time.

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Yes, the preseason. I believe he took the job from Haack. 

I believe he was always going to take the job from Haack. I think the Bills were content to let him work on holding for kicks early in the year....but no way do I see it a smart idea to tinker with an inexperienced holder right before the playoffs.

11 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Personally, I am betting he files suit against the Bills, but we will see.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The odds are real bad the Bills bring him back, but we could sure use that leg…, 

Once the details were laid out in the civil suit, Araiza's future with the Bills was over.  Up until then, there were only vague accusations made by her attorney, Dan Gilleon, and it's likely neither the Bills nor Matt knew what the specifics were to be.  Once they were described in the civil suit it became a much bigger deal.  No way the Bills were going to enter the 2022 season with a rostered player with that kind of legal and civil  threat hanging over their future.  It was destined to be a media frenzy of which the  Bills did not need or want any part.  Her lawyer was going to make sure of that and the slow pace of the legal system would prevent any quick resolution.

Also, there are no grounds for any suit against the Bills, imo.  NFL teams make 1000+ of roster cuts every year and they can be for any reason.  I'd bet there is language in their contracts that spell that out whether the NFLPA likes it or not.

New York State is an “Employment-at-Will” state. That means that an Employer may terminate an Employee at any time and for any legal reason or no reason at all. Likewise, an Employee may terminate his or her employment at any time. 

• Like (+1) 2

I’m all for them bringing Matt Araiza back this summer to compete with Martin. It could even be the ultimate factor in why he dropped his case. I wouldn’t hate them signing to the P-Squad now. The report on the police findings made it extremely clear he wasn’t there, it’s not like this is a NFL/DV situation where they just don’t care. 

I highly doubt there is any animosity between either side. MA had some dead cap last year so he was still paid by the team. 

55 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Once the details were laid out in the civil suit, Araiza's future with the Bills was over.  Up until then, there were only vague accusations made by her attorney, Dan Gilleon, and it's likely neither the Bills nor Matt knew what the specifics were to be.  Once they were described in the civil suit it became a much bigger deal.  No way the Bills were going to enter the 2022 season with a rostered player with that kind of legal and civil  threat hanging over their future.  It was destined to be a media frenzy of which the  Bills did not need or want any part.  Her lawyer was going to make sure of that and the slow pace of the legal system would prevent any quick resolution.

Also, there are no grounds for any suit against the Bills, imo.  NFL teams make 1000+ of roster cuts every year and they can be for any reason.  I'd bet there is language in their contracts that spell that out whether the NFLPA likes it or not.

New York State is an “Employment-at-Will” state. That means that an Employer may terminate an Employee at any time and for any legal reason or no reason at all. Likewise, an Employee may terminate his or her employment at any time. 

For sure, I think the Bills still did solid by him. Bills didn’t need the distraction of the case, and the case didn’t need the distraction of being linked to a NFL team.  They were super supportive/respectful of him/the situation during the presser where they announced they released him, and Bean left the door open for a return. 

I see zero reason why MA would want to sue the Bills, that would also end any shot of an NFL career he has left. 

MA was still paid 54k by the team last year.

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

19 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

As stubborn as I am, I wouldn’t have dropped charges against her. Even if I wanted to move on. 

I think it's a smart decision on his part.  She likely doesn't have much money anyway and it's a good PR move, telling prospective NFL teams/fanbases "I could have sued her but she's been through enough."  He still has the civil suit against the lawyer who has the deeper pockets and can be painted as the villain.

7 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Is it not possible they simply came to an agreement outside of the courts and withdrew the cases?

I'm sure they came to an agreement based on the plaintiff not having a case against him.  They've been saying all along that this wasn't about money but getting justice so why not see it through if you think you have a strong case?

6 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Personally, I am betting he files suit against the Bills, but we will see.

No chance.  He has no case against them.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

The punter said players and people from the Bills organization have checked on him frequently over the last year, and still do.

As for what’s next, the punter said he has not stopped training and is ready for another chance in the NFL. Joe Linta, Araiza’s agent, confirmed in a call with FOX 5 Wednesday that NFL teams have been calling him since the lawsuit against him was dropped.

17 minutes ago, ngbills said:

The punter said players and people from the Bills organization have checked on him frequently over the last year, and still do.

As for what’s next, the punter said he has not stopped training and is ready for another chance in the NFL. Joe Linta, Araiza’s agent, confirmed in a call with FOX 5 Wednesday that NFL teams have been calling him since the lawsuit against him was dropped.

I think he gets a chance in training camp with some team. I think unless a punter completely implodes this season I think teams will stick with continuity over a guy who hasn't played in a long time. Glad that Ariza got his name cleared and will get a chance to play in the NFL.

Personally, I would be happy to see the Bills give him a camp invite next season if he is a free agent. Martin has been OK this season but some competition is not a bad idea. I don't think the Bills cut him because they thought he was guilty or had ill will. I think the reason was they wanted Ariza to focus on clearing his name and Ariza also didn't want to be a distraction. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Mikie2times said:

I mean, college party, didn’t know she was in high school.

Why is he a bad guy exactly?

If you don't think having unprotected sex with a wasted minor while you have an STD outside a frathouse makes you a terrible person, I look forward to your mandated door to door visits.

Just now, QCity said:

A college kid having unprotected sex at a frat party? Clutch those pearls!

with a child

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

If you don't think having unprotected sex with a wasted minor while you have an STD outside a frathouse makes you a terrible person, I look forward to your mandated door to door visits.

with a child

Having unprotected sex in college while intoxicated is like the goal of half the college population. That is the only thing he did. I would say that makes him a pretty normal 18-20 something. He didn't know she was a minor and probably assumed she had a right to not have unprotected sex if she didn't want to. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Well, I hope you all invite him to babysit your high school daughters. I for one am glad he's out of the league.

Umm, I thought high school girls WERE the babysitters. 

I used to go….visit and help while they earned their spending money. There was a lot of down time. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.