I think it's time to activate Fournette

JÂy RÛßeÒ

1 hour ago, AmishRifle said:

Is it even feasible to make Johnson inactive and activate Fournette from the practice squad?  What does the backside of that transaction look like when you want to make Johnson active again?  Asking because I really don’t know the roster rules and mechanics of doing this.

I don't know the rules either but the bottom line is that Fournette is likely just not as good as Ty Johnson right now.

Although Ty's shoulder may now have an unfortunate effect on that equation.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, AmishRifle said:

Is it even feasible to make Johnson inactive and activate Fournette from the practice squad?  What does the backside of that transaction look like when you want to make Johnson active again?  Asking because I really don’t know the roster rules and mechanics of doing this.

Yes there are always players inactive each week.  Those on 53 get paid regular salary whether they play or not.

Fournette would make more money for game being on active roster.

They did same thing last year for players like Smoke and Tanner Gentry and others.

1 hour ago, Ryan Simpsons said:

i thought he was going to be put on waivers by Buffalo. he hasn't played 1 snap since coming here

He’s on the PS anytime can sign him to their active roster. If TJ is a no go I suspect he’s brought up. He’s more similar to Murray so not sure how many snaps he gets. I for one think TJ has been a boost !!

• Agree 1

I don’t know the fascination with Fournette.  His play dropped off in recent times and I had more than enough opportunities down in Tampa.  He helped them the SB year, but when a RB loses his legs, they don’t come back.

Johnson has the speed we need, and compliments we’ll Cook.  Especially after watching what Cook can do.  If we need a banger play, you throw in Murray.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

42 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t know the fascination with Fournette.  His play dropped off in recent times and I had more than enough opportunities down in Tampa.  He helped them the SB year, but when a RB loses his legs, they don’t come back.

Johnson has the speed we need, and compliments we’ll Cook.  Especially after watching what Cook can do.  If we need a banger play, you throw in Murray.

He had over 1000 scrimmage yards, over 70 catches, and 6 TDs last year.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Yes there are always players inactive each week.  Those on 53 get paid regular salary whether they play or not.

Fournette would make more money for game being on active roster.

They did same thing last year for players like Smoke and Tanner Gentry and others.

And the fact that we are talking this year about activating Leonard Fournette as opposed to Tanner Gentry is a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, mrags said:

I’ve got news for you. It is exactly why he’s not playing. So that useless scrubs can get beaten in the return game. 

My biggest issue with this coaching staff I think at this point. I know McD is going to make some dumb gameday calls. I know he will screw up some clock issues. I know he will mismanage timeouts, challanges, and the ability to find the right situational awareness when it matters. But for the life of me I cannot figure out why he continues to dress some of the players he does while he leaves others inactive or on the PS on gameday. Playoff Lenny has been aching to get in there. And I get that the RBs have generally been playing well, but you went out and picked this guy up for a reason. To not use him is a crime. 

Of course you can’t figure it out.

One person is at practices during the week, while the other is a keyboard coach/GM who has no clue how those players are doing during the week. Hope this explains why you can’t figure out what coach is thinking. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

16 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Ty Johnson is doing very well as a second rusher.  Ain't broke, don't fix it.

Johnson is banged up. Not broke. Because of that id consider Fornette this weekend simply because it is a short week, travel week, and we need Johnson for Miami and hopefully the playoffs. I don't think we need him as much this weekend as the last few weeks.

Keep him in Buffalo to recover. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Not a bad guy to have in case of an injury but I like who we’re rolling with right now

But Ty Johnson does look injured.  Can he play through it?  Probably.  But the odds then increase that Ty will just get more banged up as we go.  The RB core we had last week won't be of the same health in the playoffs if we keep rolling out semi-injured players.

This is when not having cratered depth makes a difference.  You can rest and heal Ty while putting in what we think to be a near replacement level player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t know the fascination with Fournette.  

For me, it’s simply that i’m not all that impressed with Murray.

He is there to be the heavy, but, for example on Sunday, he gets stonewalled and needs the line to push him in. He also dropped that wide open pass in the KC game, and unlike Cook’s drop, it wasn’t raining.

And on a night where Cook and Johnson averaged over 6 yards per carry, Murray averaged his typical 2 yards.

Im just not impressed with him.

That being said, the coaching staff sees what Fournette is currently capable of in practice, so perhaps they are not impressed with him either. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Of course you can’t figure it out.

One person is at practices during the week, while the other is a keyboard coach/GM who has no clue how those players are doing during the week. Hope this explains why you can’t figure out what coach is thinking. 

Yeah I pretty much think you’re awesome too 

• Haha (+1) 5

53 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He is there to be the heavy, but, for example on Sunday, he gets stonewalled and needs the line to push him in. He also dropped that wide open pass in the KC game, and unlike Cook’s drop, it wasn’t raining.

And on a night where Cook and Johnson averaged over 6 yards per carry, Murray averaged his typical 2 yards.

That being said, the coaching staff sees what Fournette is currently capable of in practice, so perhaps they are not impressed with him either. 

Murray is what we need against the Chargers assuming we can get a lead. He is big and punishing with ball security. A team that is disenfranchised like they are does not want to take a beating for nothing.

Murray, Fornette, and Cook would be my choice. Phillips being inactive means an open spot for Fornette.

Fornette gets game time action and to see if he is worth kicking the tires. I am not expecting much or him to make a difference beyond anyone else on the roster (Johnson, Murray). I am deeply saddened we lost Harris because i think Harris, Murray and Cook would be potent. Next year Harris, Cook, Johnson will be solid.

btw, who is Nyheim Hines?

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Who knows how Fournette looks in practice?  But I do agree Murray is our weakest RB.  You gotta limit his touches like Gabe. Addition by subtraction.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Murray serves a purpose.  He typically is able to get tough running yards and is a good blocker (usually).  They can also trust him to protect the football (though he almost dropped an easy pass in KC).  

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Has there been an injury update on Ty Johnson?  My reason for resurrecting this thread was his injury.  He has been exceptionally with his touches, and I don’t think Murray would be even close to his production 

Johnson has been great. Let’s hope he doesn’t drop off with the shoulder. 

part of me would sit Murray for Lenny but it’s obvious he means a lot to this team and locker room and don’t see him being benched anytime soon 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

He had over 1000 scrimmage yards, over 70 catches, and 6 TDs last year.

of you watched all of those games  as I did, you’d know he ran into a brick wall throughout the season, and mostly because the Bucs O Line was atrocious last year.  He looks slower than three years ago.

listen, I live in Tampa so I watch every Bills and Bucs game.  All 17 of them.  Stays can be deceiving.  Can you say you watched all 17 complete games,

not highlights.

My point is more about the speed of

Ty Johnson and the explosiveness of Cook, as well as the all purpose yards flr

him.

The bills don’t typically activate that many RB’s in game day.  Cook, Ty and Murray fills all of their needs.  Fournette was brought in as depth and insurance.  He now knows the playbook, and maybe they activate him in place of Murray for a game.

On 11/29/2023 at 1:34 PM, Billsfan1972 said:

And this is why this site is busy and people are so mad.

Next game pretty much will tell us all.  

And yes even a loss and we'll all look next to Dallas.😉

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

There is a place and inactivate Murray.  I’ll bite on that Einstein.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Who knows how Fournette looks in practice?  But I do agree Murray is our weakest RB.  You gotta limit his touches like Gabe. Addition by subtraction.

Murray has diminished performance over the season. I don't trust him as before. Ty Johnson passed him by. I have no idea what Fournette still has left.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Murray has diminished performance over the season. I don't trust him as before. Ty Johnson passed him by. I have no idea what Fournette still has left.

But I kind of want to see what he has before the playoffs and definitely before we potentially play Miami 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

of you watched all of those games  as I did, you’d know he ran into a brick wall throughout the season, and mostly because the Bucs O Line was atrocious last year.  He looks slower than three years ago.

listen, I live in Tampa so I watch every Bills and Bucs game.  All 17 of them.  Stays can be deceiving.  Can you say you watched all 17 complete games,

not highlights.

My point is more about the speed of

Ty Johnson and the explosiveness of Cook, as well as the all purpose yards flr

him.

The bills don’t typically activate that many RB’s in game day.  Cook, Ty and Murray fills all of their needs.  Fournette was brought in as depth and insurance.  He now knows the playbook, and maybe they activate him in place of Murray for a game.

There is a place and inactivate Murray.  I’ll bite on that Einstein.

After you said you did not understand the fascination with Fournette, I pointed out stats showing good production last year. What I did not do was claim to watch all 17 Bucs games or even argue Fournette should be active. But your point that he ran behind an atrocious line last year makes his production more impressive. Wouldn’t need him to be as fast as he was 3 years ago, just to use his size and physicality, catch out of the backfield, and block. Agree that he’d likely replace Murray at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

After you said you did not understand the fascination with Fournette, I pointed out stats showing good production last year. What I did not do was claim to watch all 17 Bucs games or even argue Fournette should be active. But your point that he ran behind an atrocious line last year makes his production more impressive. Wouldn’t need him to be as fast as he was 3 years ago, just to use his size and physicality, catch out of the backfield, and block. Agree that he’d likely replace Murray at this point.

Hey, John as I mentioned to someone else if you’re suggesting activating him and placing Murray on the PS and replace his duties on goal line and pass pro, ok.  You can’t have four active.  Cook is the primary, Ty should be active for his speed, and Murray has been used for what I mention above.  If you want to swap, ok.  They won’t keep four active.  You just have to look at historicals for the McBeane era.

• Like (+1) 1

If I understand it correctly Fournette is on the PS.  He can be "called up" three times and he could be signed to the 53.  Either way he would now add to salary cap vs staying on the PS.   In either of those events, that does not necessarily get him on the field, they would then need to make him one of the 48 active players on gameday.   Semantics I guess, but I don't think people understand what they are talking about when they say "activate" him.   I get people want him to play, but I don't really get why, what hole is he filling?  It is literally a just a "I know the name" thing.

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

If Fournette was in shape he would be activated

this literally makes no sense. The Bills are not going to keep anyone on the PS who is not in shape. It’s why they have a strength/conditioning/training staff. If someone on the PS was somehow not in shape after weeks on the PS, that player would have already been shown the door.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hey, John as I mentioned to someone else if you’re suggesting activating him and placing Murray on the PS and replace his duties on goal line and pass pro, ok.  You can’t have four active.  Cook is the primary, Ty should be active for his speed, and Murray has been used for what I mention above.  If you want to swap, ok.  They won’t keep four active.  You just have to look at historicals for the McBeane era.

All I was originally suggesting is that Bills fans may want to see Fournette in action based on his decent production last season, which you pointed out was behind an atrocious offensive line.

Agreed on your point though, even if I might disagree with McDermott’s history of only keeping 3 active. Although I do think the Bills can and have kept 4 active before, albeit the 4th was usually Taiwan Jones for ST.

2 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

this literally makes no sense. The Bills are not going to keep anyone on the PS who is not in shape. It’s why they have a strength/conditioning/training staff. If someone on the PS was somehow not in shape after weeks on the PS, that player would have already been shown the door.

Why can't he literally get on the field?  He's not some undrafted rookie, doing whatever it takes to move up--he's an aging vet they pulled off a couch.   You think he's going to be grinding with the S and C staff while on the PS?  

lol.

So just a little while ago, McDermott on WGR in an interview with Sal C he said that Cook missed a day due to illness. 

im not saying he will be out and expect him to miss time. But because of that, it makes me wonder if maybe they activate Lenny just in case. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why can't he literally get on the field?  He's not some undrafted rookie, doing whatever it takes to move up--he's an aging vet they pulled off a couch.   You think he's going to be grinding with the S and C staff while on the PS?  

lol.

again, someone not in shape and not working hard to get activated is not going to stay on the PS. Don't know why that's so hard to comprehend.

we don't know otherwise why he has not been active. He said he's ready and knows the playbook.

Edited by BuffaninSarasota
add

1 hour ago, mrags said:

So just a little while ago, McDermott on WGR in an interview with Sal C he said that Cook missed a day due to illness. 

im not saying he will be out and expect him to miss time. But because of that, it makes me wonder if maybe they activate Lenny just in case. 

My thoughts too. Cook being sick and Ty having a shoulder injury. We may need Lenny and if so - I bet he pounds the Bolts\. Then we have him for the playoffs. Oh boy, with him and Ty and Cook.... look out!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.