The bleak cap situation going forward

Einstein

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

How do you restructure a player that has only 1 effective year left?

That would move his 2025 cap hit (final year) to $36 million, OR you spread that across the void years and we will end up having to pay for Von Miller for 3 years after he is gone/retired.

Either scenario is yuck.

I'd be shocked if they did this.

It just doesn't work this way.

Your plan of restructuring everyone would end in the teams cap space imploding the next 2 years.

Restructuring isn't free money. It just moves it prorated to the following years of the contract.

Thats the game you play. If you do it right you are matching years with high cap hits with guys coming off the books. 

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

If you can bring back white at a reduced cost, with benford, and douglas.  CB is basically set, and thats not factoring in whatever you might have with Elam.  

Safety i expect them to do what they did with poyer and hyde - identify vets who aren't pro bowlers who will be scheme fits.  

My plan at CB would be this. Offer Tre a pay cut to stay. Why would he be open to that? A guy his age coming off 2 serious injuries isn't going to command much on the open market. May be worth it to him to stay. He would be CB2 with Rasul taking over CB1. I would definitely bring Dane Jackson back. He's not a super star but is experienced depth that knows the system. So boundary CB depth for me would look like this:

CB1: Douglas

CB2: White

CB3:Jackson/Day 2 rookie

Anything Elam can add would be gravy. Maybe it clicks for him being out and studying all this season. Stranger things can happen.

I then do what I think Beane's plan has been all along and slide Benford to Safety. I think he's a good CB, but would do even better back there.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree and that's the way they have approached it in the past.

However, I think it's fair to wonder if Beane and McDermott are retained for next year the pressure is cranked way up and we see more aggressive behavior concerning the cap and trades. In short they may look at it as "We don't win this year we won't be here in 2 years to care about the cap". Maybe we see Beane go truly "all in" next year and take it to the LA Rams extreme. I know not likely, but it's gotta be something to consider at this point for them.

Yet another reason I’d tell Beane he’s safe, regardless of what they do with McDermott.  

I don’t want any short sighted decision making.  

And Beane has made some blunders, but he’s also looked MUCH better in his drafting recently .. and that’s going to

have to be our lifeblood moving forward.  

The only change he probably does need to make is that he likely needs to draft more for immediate impact than high ceiling development.  

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

My plan at CB would be this. Offer Tre a pay cut to stay. Why would he be open to that? A guy his age coming off 2 serious injuries isn't going to command much on the open market. May be worth it to him to stay. He would be CB2 with Rasul taking over CB1. I would definitely bring Dane Jackson back. He's not a super star but is experienced depth that knows the system. So boundary CB depth for me would look like this:

Anything Elam can add would be gravy. Maybe it clicks for him being out and studying all this season. Stranger things can happen.

I then do what I think Beane's plan has been all along and slide Benford to Safety. I think he's a good CB, but would do even better back there.

I'm not worried too much about Jackson - him or another depth corner shouldn't cost a ton.  Once you get past the top 7 FA CB contracts in 2023, everyone made 4M AAV or less.  

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Poyer and Hyde, IMO, are done. They may have 1-2 solid years left but this secondary needs to get younger and more athletic. 

If we move on from McD (who just signed a 3-year extension in June) some familiar faces go as well. 

I agree and neither guy is capable of making the big play when you need it.  Time to get younger,  they could try either Elam or Benford and then sign a free agent/draft choice.  I think if the Bills allow McDermott one more season,  the condition would be that he hires a new DC that brings in a new scheme.  Way too many late game losses and not just this season.  That defence sucks and worthless when you go against top QB'S, both Poyer and Hyde made careers out of playing for McDermott and that conservative defence.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

What about Benford?

Just now, Niagara Dude said:

I agree and neither guy is capable of making the big play when you need it.  Time to get younger,  they could try either Elam or Benford and then sign a free agent/draft choice.  I think if the Bills allow McDermott one more season,  the condition would be that he hires a new DC that brings in a new scheme.  Way too many late game losses and not just this season.  That defence sucks and worthless when you go against top QB'S, both Poyer and Hyde made careers out of playing for McDermott and that conservative defence.

I actually really like Elam AND Benford at safety… FS and SS.

New coach may want new “types” though. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Yet another reason I’d tell Beane he’s safe, regardless of what they do with McDermott.  

I don’t want any short sighted decision making.  

And Beane has made some blunders, but he’s also looked MUCH better in his drafting recently .. and that’s going to

have to be our lifeblood moving forward.  

The only change he probably does need to make is that he likely needs to draft more for immediate impact than high ceiling development.  

That's been one of my major complaints about his drafting. Seems like most of the guys he takes pan out right about late year 3/year 4 when they're due a new deal. Wastes so much time getting production from guys on cheap deals. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That's been one of my major complaints about his drafting. Seems like most of the guys he takes pan out right about late year 3/year 4 when they're due a new deal. Wastes so much time getting production from guys on cheap deals. 

It's because he drafts guys with elite traits who sometimes lack college production/coaching. That way he gets draft value, but they take longer to develop. Teams like the Eagles draft guys from Alabama and Georgia who have played at the highest level and are ready for big games in their first season. 

Edited by Low Positive
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Low Positive said:

It's because he drafts guys with elite traits who sometimes lack college production/coaching. That we he gets draft value, but they take longer to develop. Teams like the Eagles draft guys from Alabama and Georgia who have played at the highest level and are ready for big games in their first season. 

I mean, if you're drafting a guy that's ready to play day 1 of camp and get him for 4 years on a rookie deal VS waiting a couple of rounds to draft a guy that spend his entire rookie deal getting up to the speed of the guy from Alabama....who got the better value?

I don't think there's a right/wrong in that conversation by the way. Difference in prerogative for sure. But I know which I would want.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

We were discussing this in the Von Miller thread, but thought maybe it wasn't wise to continue cluttering that thread with cap talk. 

We are currently $42 million over the cap for next season. That number assumes the NFL increases the salary cap increases, from the current cap of $224.8M to $243.9M (technically we are about $62 million over at the moment), plus rollover.

cap1431.jpg

Getting under the cap

If we release Dion Dawkins, Tre White, Taron Johnson, Mitch Morse, Jordan Poyer, Deonte Harty, and Nyheim Hines, we can get down to almost $0 (-413,780) cap space.

Obviously this doesn't include restructures yet. But we can't just endlessly keep kicking the can down the road.

dfsvds.jpg

If we do NOT release one of those starters, you can add the following to our cap negative by this amount:

Keeping Dawkins: Add $4.8M to cap negative.
Keeping White: Add $6.2M to cap negative.
Keeping Taron: Add $7.7M to cap negative.
Keeping Morse: Add $8.5M to cap negative.
Keeping Poyer: Add $5.5M to cap negative.

Key players that will have to be re-signed or let walk 

Micah Hyde: Contract expires this offseason.
Daquan Jones: Contract expires this offseason.

Leonard Floyd: Contract expires this offseason.

Summary

We are $42M over the estimated 2024 cap, with Jones, Floyd and Hyde contract expiring. We will need a mixture of releasing starters, and re-structuring current deals, in order to get enough cap to draft players.

We are likely going to have to restructure Allen, and then replace a lot of starters with very little money.

It’s not a great situation but teams always figure this out through re-structures etc.  

It means that there won’t be any “big ticket” signings as Brandon Beane like to say, again.  But I would be shocked if the Bills release Dawkins or Johnson.  

I do think they are bracing for 2025 to be a bit of a cap reset year which is why they need to hit on some picks again this year.

43 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

We have 4 defensive lineman signed for next year, and possibly only 2 starters depending on how Von Miller recovers from his injury. Miller, Oliver, Rousseau, and Jonathan.

We are very thin there, and will not have the cap to do much there. Could be our first round pick.

This regime is spinning in circles. 

They’ll get under the cap. The question is how many roster holes will be created, how much dead money will pile up, and how in the world they’ll be any better than this year. I’d prefer Beane/McDermott not make these decisions out of desperation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

This is where I’m at.  

Our cap situation isn’t great, but neither is the cap/financial situation for the Dolphins, Jets or Bengals.  

Chiefs got it right, but have a looming Chris Jones contract negotiation and Travis Kelce potential retirement down the line.  For a dominant 3 man run, that’s 2 of them.

Bills can bring back a Top 5 OL, Top 2 QB plus Diggs, Shakir, Cook, Kincaid & Knox. 

Do the right thing and draft Allen a RD1 WR in a Draft with 6-7 WR1 potential guys in it.  

Then start to rebuild the defensive secondary and defensive depth with the rest of the draft.  

Focus every financial effort this off-season to keeping this DL together and along with Milano coming back to pair with Bernard.. there’s the nucleus, along with Rasul Douglas outside, to carry that side of the ball. 

Make sure you tell Beane. He might be waiting for this information 

6 minutes ago, Airseven said:

This regime is spinning in circles. 

They’ll get under the cap. The question is how many roster holes will be created, how much dead money will pile up, and how in the world they’ll be any better than this year. I’d prefer Beane/McDermott not make these decisions out of desperation.

I don’t know that it’s sustainable, aside from Beane absolutely crushing this draft, but every year we worry and every year we’re more talented on paper.  

And that’s why this year is so, so maddening … because this team is so much better than last years team.  

Josh Allen is likely the league MVP front runner if McDermott doesn’t spaz in the Eagles game and/or a FG kicker doesn’t smash a 59 yards in the rain. 

Our OL is a Top 5 unit.  THE best pass blocking line in the league and top 5 in run blocking. 

Our DL, even with the Jones injury, is a Top 5 pass rush DL.  

Diggs is having another great year.  Shakir has emerged as a legit slot option.   Davis is the same guy.  Kincaid is a future superstar.  

Yet, here we are at 6-6.   But what part of 6-6 do you put on Beane?   It seems to be entirely coaching, with Dorsey putting Allen & the Offense into a fog and McDermott being Captain anti-clutch. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We were discussing this in the Von Miller thread, but thought maybe it wasn't wise to continue cluttering that thread with cap talk. 

We are currently $42 million over the cap for next season. That number assumes the NFL increases the salary cap increases, from the current cap of $224.8M to $243.9M (technically we are about $62 million over at the moment), plus rollover.

cap1431.jpg

Getting under the cap

If we release Dion Dawkins, Tre White, Taron Johnson, Mitch Morse, Jordan Poyer, Deonte Harty, and Nyheim Hines, we can get down to almost $0 (-413,780) cap space.

Obviously this doesn't include restructures yet. But we can't just endlessly keep kicking the can down the road.

dfsvds.jpg

If we do NOT release one of those starters, you can add the following to our cap negative by this amount:

Summary

We are $42M over the estimated 2024 cap, with Jones, Floyd and Hyde contract expiring. We will need a mixture of releasing starters, and re-structuring current deals, in order to get enough cap to draft players.

We are likely going to have to restructure Allen, and then replace a lot of starters with very little money.

Thanks Sean.

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t know that it’s sustainable, aside from Beane absolutely crushing this draft, but every year we worry and every year we’re more talented on paper.  

And that’s why this year is so, so maddening … because this team is so much better than last years team.  

Josh Allen is likely the league MVP front runner if McDermott doesn’t spaz in the Eagles game and/or a FG kicker doesn’t smash a 59 yards in the rain. 

Our OL is a Top 5 unit.  THE best pass blocking line in the league and top 5 in run blocking. 

Our DL, even with the Jones injury, is a Top 5 pass rush DL.  

Diggs is having another great year.  Shakir has emerged as a legit slot option.   Davis is the same guy.  Kincaid is a future superstar.  

Yet, here we are at 6-6.   But what part of 6-6 do you put on Beane?   It seems to be entirely coaching, with Dorsey putting Allen & the Offense into a fog and McDermott being Captain anti-clutch. 

great post man… couldn’t have said it better myself.

18 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Not even close.

If we maxed out Allen's base salary into a restructure, it would:

1) Only lower out cap hit to negative (-$20 million).

2) It would make Allen's cap hit over the next 3 years: $62M .. 2026: Original: $58M ... 2027: Original: $51M

Literally went to OTC....went to the 2024 and hit restructure and it took us down to -6 million. I'll trust them since you know thats what they do over you. 

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I got to 16.4 on spotrac doing this:

Restructure - Allen, Milano, Oliver, McGovern, Bates

Cut - Tre, Morse, Poyer, Hines, Harty, Neal

Left alone - Diggs, Von (for now), Knox, Johnson, Dawkins

Other possibilities

Cut Von post june - saves 6.79M in 2024, but theres 15.4 in dead money 2025

Extend Dawkins - Can likely lower the base salary number from 9.3M and give you flexibility to restructure down the line

Extend Taron - Reduce base salary from 6.45

Extend Douglas - Already 30 years old but even adding a year can get that 9M base salary lower

Restructure Diggs - Can get about 14M in cap space if you do this - but he's in age 31 and it basically locks him in through age 32 or 33 season

Yup. This is the one.

Any suggestion of cutting Dion Dawkins rather than simply restructuring elite players is ridiculous.

Right idea from @Einstein but wrong execution.

First of all the big difference is OTC has the Bills projected at 29 million over and Spotrac has them 42 million over. Thats a wide gap, so clearly one of the websites is way off in their projections. I prefer OTC because I don't actually have to do the math it done for me. If OTC is correct, the Bills will have no problem getting under the salary cap before next year with 4 or 5 moves of guys that they could easily get rid of because their injured/old or both. 

36 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Literally went to OTC....went to the 2024 and hit restructure and it took us down to -6 million. I'll trust them since you know thats what they do over you. 

This is because OTC is using a wrong starting number ($29M) instead of the correct number ($42M). OTC's numbers are always shaky (Use Spotrac for official numbers).

It's just math.

Try again here: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2024/

cap1431.jpg

For those who don't know, OTC is just ran by a fan. It used to be a Jets cap website. Spotrac is a partner of USA Today. 

The NFL = Not For Long.  We’ve had some guys who’ve broken that rule to a degree, and their time will come to an end this off-season.  Poyer, Morse, Neal, maybe Tre, the sad news about Miller (sad in terms of the woman that was attacked) may take care of that on its own.  Davis probably won’t be resigned.  Epenesa may not either unless they decide to keep him vs. Floyd.  And younger guys will have to take their place and step up.  That’s the NFL.

And we see evidence of that with the Bills.  Jackson and Benford at CB.  Can Lewis is stepping up.  The Online is playing better for those of who who’ve bashed Brown.  Shakir is stepping up.  Rapp at S.  And so on.

Beane will have to draft well, free agency will have to be used carefully.  But that’s what he gets paid for.

Not even close.

If we maxed out Allen's base salary into a restructure, it would:

1) Only lower out cap hit to negative (-$20 million).

2) It would make Allen's cap hit over the next 3 years: $62M .. 2026: Original: $58M ... 2027: Original: $51M

EDIT: We could also max out his roster bonus (to $0), which would bring the cap down another few million.

QBs will forever be restructured in the NFL now; there really isn’t anything else you can do when a player makes  1/5th of your cap otherwise. Mahomes does it every year and I’d assume Allen will as well and then eventually extend further to push money into a pit in the distant future. 

Teams always figure out ways to clean up their cap issues, the idea we are going take a step back for a year is completely absurd from both a competitive angle and a sales angle. As most NFL teams do, they’ll keep pushing money into the future until their team literally bottoms out and then they’ll eat it. Unless the NFL quietly eliminates some of a dead cap in the insuring years 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Poyer and Hyde, IMO, are done. They may have 1-2 solid years left but this secondary needs to get younger and more athletic. 

If we move on from McD (who just signed a 3-year extension in June) some familiar faces go as well. 

Yeah I did not mention Hyde because his contract is up.  We agree they need to reset at safety.

I’m not at all worried about cutting some of our higher paid players, especially if they are over 30. We’re not getting results with them, so am sure cutting them wouldn’t automatically put us below 0.500. The roster needs to retool with hungry players wanting their next contract to be a big one, not ones who have already been paid. All I see is players going through the motions. 

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

cap1431.jpg

Getting under the cap

dfsvds.jpg

Summary

Bit late on this thread, boss.

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia

It's a bit depressing thinking about the prospect that this team probably doesn't make the playoffs again until 2025 at the earliest, but obviously Beane will do a lot of work in the coming month to fix the pending salary cap nightmare.

But it goes without saying that this current group is going out with a whimper and this will be a much different and younger roster next year.

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

cap1431.jpg

Getting under the cap

dfsvds.jpg

Summary

Beane has managed the cap poorly 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

cap1431.jpg

Getting under the cap

dfsvds.jpg

Summary

While the Bills aren’t flush with cap space to burn they aren’t in that bad of shape either. 2024 is easily put into order. I’d start with the following:

Restructure:

- Allen

- Diggs

- Oliver

Release:

- White (w/post 6/1 designation)

- Hardy

- Poyer

Per overthecap that would put the Bills $31.17M under the cap. That doesn’t include any rollover or additional moves. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

For those asking what the salary cap charge would be in the event the Patriots ever decided to terminate the contract, the charge would be the acceleration of the $12.5 million signing bonus. If that happened in 2013, Hernandez would count $2.55 million against the salary cap, and then in 2014 would carry a cap charge of $7.5 million from the remaining proration on the signing bonus.

One other factor to consider: A club can recover bonus money and avoid a cap hit if a player violates one of the league's personal conduct policies or defaults on contract language.

So we could likely avoid the cap hit and avoid paying some money if this happens.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.