We're Going To The Playoffs. (edit: Updated - Super Bowl)

Doc Brown

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

No, last night doesn’t beat anyone.

It didn’t beat the Eagles and probably won’t beat the Chiefs. In my opinion the Chiefs defense is a lot better than the Eagles is.

I respect your take - but the chiefs offense isn’t the eagles offense either 

Just stop doing this to yourself.  A few years of historical aberration for the Bills, and we think it's the new normal.  The league has figured out McD and his bend then break defense, he's far too in love with his own ideas to ever consider something more modern and effective as a scheme.  Watch and enjoy the games if you must but don't pin your hopes on another win this year

• Vomit 1

It is an uphill battle. They literally can't lose another game, and that might not even be enough.

There are a lot of depressed and angry fans. I get that. But the offense is finally alive. They were playing probably the best team in the league and took them to overtime, despite horribly one-sided officiating the entire game.

One or two plays different and the Bills would have won it. That is what sucks so much.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Why go to overtime when the offense just handed you a lead with 2 minutes to go.  A drive that was the best of the season and would have been a statement had the defense been able to get a stop and force them to throw a hail mary or something on 4th down.  

or Davis could have turned the right way and caught an easy GW TD pass.  

Either way the defense was given two leads late that had they got one stop in either the bills win much like the rest of the year.

Not disagreeing at all about the defense. But it’s a team game. If your defense gives up the lead the offense has to step up. They got the ball first in OT. Go win it. Other teams can do it. This team has a weak mentality from the coaches to players up and down the roster. 

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Minor difference circumstances in a dome against a poor defense but this is why...

and just 3 weeks earlier the Jets had gumbied Josh's arm and yet still felt comfortable going for it.

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I obviously remember this but I'd say a bit more than minor circumstances,  considering it was pouring rain and both teams were limited on big plays all day and our kicker was very unlikely to make a very long FG. 

I personally don't mind not pushing the ball there.

Oh no we miss the kick and go to overtime like we did anyway or we don't get into range and it's 3rd down so we make sure to eat it since they don't have any timeouts and just run out the clock and go to overtime like we did anyway.

I like the optimism by the OP but having watched the Bills for near 55 years last night was one in a long series of Billsy loses - so very predictable - and gives me no reason to be optimistic.  Can they run the tables?  I doubt it.  They're snake bit against KC and I think that the 13 second game is still in Allen's head.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Not disagreeing at all about the defense. But it’s a team game. If your defense gives up the lead the offense has to step up. They got the ball first in OT. Go win it. Other teams can do it. This team has a weak mentality from the coaches to players up and down the roster. 

But the offense essentially won the game twice right?  How many times late does the defense need to make mistakes before it ultimately falls on them?

and again if Davis doesn't go to the corner they win.  

Just now, chaccof said:

I like the optimism by the OP but having watched the Bills for near 55 years last night was one in a long series of Billsy loses - so very predictable - and gives me no reason to be optimistic.  Can they run the tables?  I doubt it.  They're snake bit against KC and I think that the 13 second game is still in Allen's head.  

hasn't buffalo won the last two regular season matchups?

I'm wondering how much influence McD had on the last scoring drive in regulation to milk the clock.  I'm guessing it was his call to "not score too fast", like he said about the Broncos game.  In my opinion, you score fast there so that you have time on the clock if you need to score again (which they did).  I think the younger coaches of the game today would have went for the score regardless of the time on the clock knowing they would be in a better position with more time on the clock at the end of regulation. 

This is more just of a thought and wondering what others here think about that scenario.  Could have had more than 20 seconds on the clock at the end of the game.

My only issue with this is, this team doesn't know how to finish. 2-6 in one score games. The only thing about that is the Vikings were awesome in 1 score games last year but everyone knew they weren't that good. This year we have been putrid in one score games but everyone knows we aren't as bad as our record. We proved that yesterday. 

15 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

I respect your take - but the chiefs offense isn’t the eagles offense either 

Every game is different so can’t really compare performances. When the Eagles played the Chiefs last week they looked like the inferior team for most of the game until the Chiefs’ receivers decided to drop passes. Kelce and Mahomes with uncharacteristic red zone turnovers.

4 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

But the offense essentially won the game twice right?  How many times late does the defense need to make mistakes before it ultimately falls on them?

Can’t win if there’s time left on the clock and the other team has a shot to win. Like I said it’s a team game. Whoever has it last was going to win. Bills could’ve made sure they had it last with a TD in OT but they weren’t good enough. Story of this season. 

10 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

You still drinking bro?

A table run at 5-0 means hard drugs.  4-1 is and a playoff spot is lots of alcohol.  3-2 and missing the playoffs is drunken optimism.  2-3 and missing the playoffs is drunken pessimism. 1-4 and missing the playoffs is Billsy.  0-5 and missing the playoffs is McDermitism.

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Minor difference circumstances in a dome against a poor defense but this is why...

Sadly we will never know what would have happened...at 6-5 and the season on the line, your Qb playing his best game of the year, you take a shot. Even if it was go 5 wide, run everyone deep and see if Allen can take off with his legs and get a run to midfield. Then you have one quick play for 10 yards to the sideline and potential winning field goal. 

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

It was a mystery what McD's perceived reputation as a great defensive coach was ever based on.  

People here talk about how great it was at Carolina where over six seasons it averaged a 17th ranking.  

If someone was to describe Sean McDermott's defense like a college prospect, I would say his system produces a very high floor.

Statistically, his units consistently rank pretty well.  Very good in overall points allowed.  Pretty good in overall yards allowed.  Excellent against the pass.  Average against the run.  Solid in turnovers.  Solid in pass rushing.  The Bills have been a Top 10 unit for the entire duration of his time as coach, and snuck into the Top 5 a couple times.  

The problem is, McDermott's units also have a very low ceiling.  It's basically the Kirk Cousins of defenses.

Every year, they beat-up on the bad and below average QBs of the NFL.  Most of their sacks/turnovers come when the offense is playing well, and the opponent is trying to force the ball down the field.  They also do a pretty decent job of shutting down gimmicky offensive systems like Miami and Baltimore, which rely on misdirection and confusion.  But against a top QB willing to be patient and attack the holes in their zone defense, McDermott's group becomes absolutely helpless.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Mark it down right now.  This team is going to the playoffs.  We're going to run the table and finish 11-6.  Too much adversity has hit this team over the last four years for it not to happen.  The negativity they'll hear the next two weeks will spring this team like it did in 2021 in a very similar game in Tampa.  It's always darkest before the dawn.

I think this very well could be the case.  There are no moral victories in the NFL, but this is probably the "best loss" Buffalo has had since the 13 seconds game.  Josh Allen looks like the Josh Allen of old over the last 2 weeks.  Maybe Joe Brady with an extra week can throw in a few wrinkles that make the offense even better.  Maybe McDermott self-evaluates (he actually said he'd do this in his post game PC) and turns over the defensive play calling duties to Babbich or someone else so he can focus more on managing the game... while getting some help with that.

That loss sucked.  But if there was one game to lose in our last 6 it was yesterday's game.  It just hurt more because Buffalo was clearly the better team yesterday.

Mark it down right now.  This team is going to the playoffs.  We're going to run the table and finish 11-6.  Too much adversity has hit this team over the last four years for it not to happen.  The negativity they'll hear the next two weeks will spring this team like it did in 2021 in a very similar game in Tampa.  It's always darkest before the dawn.

I'll buy you a bottle of scotch if they make it to the playoffs.

I know it's unlikely, I know we don't have a lot of faith in McDermott and some of us even myself to an extent want us to move on so this wouldn't help.

But I am so ***** pissed at this game, yes McDermott ***** up with the defense at the end and decision making and the offense missed on TD to win in OT. But in the first half and throughout the game we continued to see that the offense is back and Josh is back. Despite all the ***** bull#### the refs were throwing our way we were still kicking those ***** dirt birds asses for a good portion of the game.

It pisses me off that team didn't deserve to win that game but they did. The ridiculous officiating, bad coaching and an offense just starting to kick it into gear missed out. So yeah we might want a new HC but I can't help it. I want to run the ***** table get and get to the dance because we do that and at the end of it there's a decent chance we get to see these #######s again. Then lets see how things turn out then because they're not going to call that game this ***** lopsided.

That's how I'm feeling about it I want to get there to see this team again because ***** em.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It's time to put down the crack pipe and step away from the keyboard, fellow Bills fan :)

34 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

If someone was to describe Sean McDermott's defense like a college prospect, I would say his system produces a very high floor.

Statistically, his units consistently rank pretty well.  Very good in overall points allowed.  Pretty good in overall yards allowed.  Excellent against the pass.  Average against the run.  Solid in turnovers.  Solid in pass rushing.  The Bills have been a Top 10 unit for the entire duration of his time as coach, and snuck into the Top 5 a couple times.  

The problem is, McDermott's units also have a very low ceiling.  It's basically the Kirk Cousins of defenses.

Every year, they beat-up on the bad and below average QBs of the NFL.  Most of their sacks/turnovers come when the offense is playing well, and the opponent is trying to force the ball down the field.  They also do a pretty decent job of shutting down gimmicky offensive systems like Miami and Baltimore, which rely on misdirection and confusion.  But against a top QB willing to be patient and attack the holes in their zone defense, McDermott's group becomes absolutely helpless.

Very nicely summed up!!

7 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

They haven't strung together consecutive wins since September.

But now they're going to go on a 5 game run? 

Vegas will gladly take your money. 

Of course they will. All the media hate and doubters will fueled them emotionally to perform better than their capabilities all the way to a Lombardi. Just like a Disney movie. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Last night was eerily similar to 13 seconds, with one tiny diff: This team gets to keep playing. And after playing the Eagles like they played the Chiefs in 13 secs, and losing in horrifying fashion again—but getting to play more games this time. Yes. 5-0 to close.

• Like (+1) 1

This team has is all.  And then it doesn’t.  It’s such a roller coaster of inconsistency and KILLING themselves with colossal mental gaffes.  Committing penalties, drops, running the wrong routes, coaching blunders, missed kicks and injuries.  We just can’t get out of our own way. On top of that, terrible officiating.  There’s some sort of peculiar cosmic force causing this madness.

I think we have about a 30% chance to make the playoffs.  Unlikely, but I do think there’s a chance that we can run the table or maybe just one loss.  Almost all the teams we’re competing against for the playoffs have backup QBs.  And that’s why McD should be fired if we don’t make the playoffs.  

If James cook catches the TD.   If gabe and Josh were on the same page.  If we threw the ball to Dalton Kincaid in the second half.  If Tyler bass didn’t choke.  If we don’t have 12 men on the field. if the refs didn’t suck. If we didn’t…..we can go on and on.  Each of our losses would’ve been wins if the fortunes of 1 or 2 plays would’ve been different.  Sucks for Mcdermott.  He’s a good coach.  If we miss the playoffs I don’t think Pegs and Beane will fire him, but they should.  

While it doesn’t seem to be our year…..we can beat anybody on any given Sunday.  I still have hope that this could be an epic season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This team has is all.  And then it doesn’t.  It’s such a roller coaster of inconsistency and KILLING themselves with colossal mental gaffes.  Committing penalties, drops, running the wrong routes, coaching blunders, missed kicks and injuries.  We just can’t get out of our own way. On top of that, terrible officiating.  There’s some sort of peculiar cosmic force causing this madness.

I think we have about a 30% chance to make the playoffs.  Unlikely, but I do think there’s a chance that we can run the table or maybe just one loss.  Almost all the teams we’re competing against for the playoffs have backup QBs.  And that’s why McD should be fired if we don’t make the playoffs.  

If James cook catches the TD.   If gabe and Josh were on the same page.  If we threw the ball to Dalton Kincaid in the second half.  If Tyler bass didn’t choke.  If we don’t have 12 men on the field. if the refs didn’t suck. If we didn’t…..we can go on and on.  Each of our losses would’ve been wins if the fortunes of 1 or 2 plays would’ve been different.  Sucks for Mcdermott.  He’s a good coach.  If we miss the playoffs I don’t think Pegs and Beane will fire him, but they should.  

While it doesn’t seem to be our year…..we can beat anybody on any given Sunday.  I still have hope that this could be an epic season. 

Well said, especially on the multitude of reasons why these things keep happening. Much more accurate with actual verifiable reasons and referenced events than what 90% of Bills mafia yesterday and today are citing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Any chance the Bills had at the playoffs hinged on winning yesterday for a number of reasons, including the fact they have zero chance of winning at KC in December when they come out of their bye week.

And at this point this type of epic meltdown and loss heading into the bye week could lead to this team flat out quitting on McDummy the rest of the way especially with said game coming right of the gate.

My 2 cents.  As a Chiefs fan that wants the Chiefs to win another Super Bowl, I do NOT want to see the Bills make the playoffs.  You guys are plus 101 after 11 games.  It's flukish that you find yourself in this position with your record.  The Bills would be a tough out in the playoffs and IF you guys can get into the playoffs, would be like wiping the slate clean...  Id rather see......the BRONCOS.

Funny how football works sometimes.  The freaking Broncos have a half way decent shot to make it in as we sit here.  They are fools gold!  in their 4 wins prior to Cleveland, Denver was +11 in turnovers and only had a +20 point differential in those games.  The won 3 of those games by a combined 5 points.  They were plus 2 against the Browns who are down to garbage at QB as it is.  Now their schedule gets quite a bit more favorable and they have some good tiebreakers, including a crucial head to head VS the Bills.  Denver has a game VS the Texans this week...they will probably lose, but it would be bad news for the Bills if Denver gets yet another AFC win.  The only other hard game left on Denvers schedule after that is at Detroit.  Everything else is winnable including a game VS New England.  Two VS the Chargers and the Raiders one more time.  

It would be a HUGE break for ALL the AFC teams if a 10-7 Denver team claimed the the 7 seed while a 10-7 Bills team stayed home.  But that's where we are.  

10 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

My 2 cents.  As a Chiefs fan that wants the Chiefs to win another Super Bowl, I do NOT want to see the Bills make the playoffs.  You guys are plus 101 after 11 games.  It's flukish that you find yourself in this position with your record.  The Bills would be a tough out in the playoffs and IF you guys can get into the playoffs, would be like wiping the slate clean...  Id rather see......the BRONCOS.

Funny how football works sometimes.  The freaking Broncos have a half way decent shot to make it in as we sit here.  They are fools gold!  in their 4 wins prior to Cleveland, Denver was +11 in turnovers and only had a +20 point differential in those games.  The won 3 of those games by a combined 5 points.  They were plus 2 against the Browns who are down to garbage at QB as it is.  Now their schedule gets quite a bit more favorable and they have some good tiebreakers, including a crucial head to head VS the Bills.  Denver has a game VS the Texans this week...they will probably lose, but it would be bad news for the Bills if Denver gets yet another AFC win.  The only other hard game left on Denvers schedule after that is at Detroit.  Everything else is winnable including a game VS New England.  Two VS the Chargers and the Raiders one more time.  

It would be a HUGE break for ALL the AFC teams if a 10-7 Denver team claimed the the 7 seed while a 10-7 Bills team stayed home.  But that's where we are.  

Did you actually watch your favorite team play the 2 games against Denver they played?

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Did you actually watch your favorite team play the 2 games against Denver they played?

Yes.  I was actually at the one in Denver.  As this is a Bills board, Id think this isn't really the place for me to go in depth breaking down the Chiefs VS Broncos this year but to summarize, KC moves the ball up and down the field on those guys in both games.  KC stumble, bumbled and herpa derped 5 TOs in the game at Denver and pretty much all those combined with the drops etc KC has struggled with were mostly KC shooting themselves in the foot.  In the 11 Point Win in KC...KC again, red zone trip after red zone trip herpa derpa.  I would tell you after watching a ton of All 22 on KC this year 90 pct of the problems KC has scoring is that the WR corps has been AWFUL at both drops AND reading zones.  They seem to have gotten it to gether at least a little bit VS the Raiders..but that's just one game.  Bad habits are tought to break.

Here are the remaining schedules of all remaining teams vying for the Wildcard 

Browns (7-4):

Week 13: at Rams (5-6)

Week 14: vs. Jaguars (8-3)

Week 15: vs. Bears (3-8)

Week 16: at Texans (6-5)

Week 17: vs. Jets (4-7)

Week 18: at Bengals (5-6)

Steelers (7-4):

Week 13: vs. Cardinals (2-10)

Week 14: vs. Patriots (2-9)

Week 15: at Colts (6-5)

Week 16: vs. Bengals (5-6)

Week 17: at Seahawks (6-5)

Week 18: at Ravens (9-3)

Colts (6-5):

Week 13: at Titans (4-7)

Week 14: at Bengals (5-6)

Week 15: vs. Steelers (7-4)

Week 16: at Falcons (5-6)

Week 17: vs. Raiders (5-7)

Week 18: vs. Texans (6-5)

Texans (6-5):

Week 13: vs. Broncos (6-5)

Week 14: at Jets (4-7)

Week 15: at Titans (4-7)

Week 16: vs. Browns (7-4)

Week 17: vs. Titans (4-7)

Week 18: at Colts (6-5)

Broncos (6-5):

Week 13: at Texans (6-5)

Week 14: at Chargers (4-7)

Week 15: at Lions (8-3)

Week 16: vs. Patriots (2-9)

Week 17: vs. Chargers (4-7)

Week 18: at Raiders (5-7)

Bills (6-6):

Week 13: Bye 

Week 14: at Chiefs (8-3)

Week 15: vs. Cowboys (8-3)

Week 16: at Chargers (4-7)

Week 17: vs. Patriots (2-9)

Week 18: at Dolphins (8-3)

I don't understand why anyone would write in wins for any team in the NFL this year. Buffalo's bye week is a blessing.

I’m not buying into any of this yet but I still think the Steelers suffer an epic freefall. It would be much better if the North was healthy and completely cannibalized each other. Now Baltimore’s just going to run away with it. Cleveland’s probably in but could also drop 4 in a row. Somebody terrible is getting in.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.