Giant elephant in room. Beane

<bills4life>

3 minutes ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

….Maybe, just maybe when you consistently miss on early round players like Basham, Elam, Epenesa, and destroy the cap by signing aging vets like Miller, Tre and Poyer, this is what happens. You are set up for heartbreak. 
missing on picks happens, but this consistency?

‘McDermott holds a lot of responsibility, but Beane is no GM god.

You honestly think Beane has all the say in who he drafts and signs?  I don’t. I think McD has his fingerprints all over this roster and nudges Beane on who to draft and get in here as FAs. Just look at the high picks on defense and all the FA dollars on that side of the ball. It has the stench of a defensive minded HC written all over it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This roster is a contender, or on the cusp of such. It’s the results on the field where the issue is man. 

Of recent years all SB winners have whiffed on some very high picks. 

We’re upset about the results but the team has talent on both sides of the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

….Maybe, just maybe when you consistently miss on early round players like Basham, Elam, Epenesa, and destroy the cap by signing aging vets like Miller, Tre and Poyer, this is what happens. You are set up for heartbreak. 
missing on picks happens, but this consistency?

‘McDermott holds a lot of responsibility, but Beane is no GM god.

I agree but this is because Beane is virtually powerless. McDermott is running and ruining this team, even with a generational talented quarterback.

Was Beane to blame for 10 penalties in the first half? Or 13 seconds? I don't think so. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

lol!

Beane making picks and being a true GM…

People really believe he has power over Sean? 

hahahahahahahahah

If I remember correctly Terry said in an interview when they got hired that both men will report to him. Both Beane and McDermott have one boss in Terry. He also said at the time that Beane will have final say on all GM related matters and McDermott has it on coaching related matters. 

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

You honestly think Beane has all the say in who he drafts and signs?  I don’t. I think McD has his fingerprints all over this roster and nudges Beane on who to draft and get in here as FAs. Just look at the high picks on defense and all the FA dollars on that side of the ball. It has the stench of a defensive minded HC written all over it. 

Not to mention changing players skill sets because he cannot adapt as a defensive coach. Like having Epenesa losing too much weight and being undersized for the position earlier in his career. Not playing guys that were drafted because he has serious trust issues starting rookies and 2nd year players. And trying to change someone like Elam to be something he’s not. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

If I remember correctly Terry said in an interview when they got hired that both men will report to him. Both Beane and McDermott have one boss in Terry. He also said at the time that Beane will have final say on all GM related matters and McDermott has it on coaching related matters. 

And that is how it works. Beane runs personnel. On his draft picks he is ultimately accountable. I have spoken directly to one guy who has been in the building and through an intermediary to another - both confirmed that Beane is in charge of the draft and while McDermott and the coaching staff have input and influence the picks are Brandon Beane's. He isn't a puppet GM just picking who the coaches tell him. In fact both said the guy he listened to most of all on draft picks was Joe Schoen even above McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 2

I understand we all have our pitchforks out right now, but Beane has been fantastic as a GM.

His draft hit rate is above average.

His creativity with the cap is above average.

His trades have been mostly good.

How do we go from "Beane is a wizard!" every off-season to saying he's a problem?

• Like (+1) 3

Good lord.  It is right in front of everyone's face.  The Head Coach runs everything here, the GM works for him and he is the HC and DC who calls plays.  The players that come in here are his guys he wants.  Everything the organization is doing is what McDermott wants.

Time has proven that he is not worthy of all this credit.  He does not know how to close out a game and he repeatedly passes the buck.  His time has come.  It can not be any more obvious.

Your side of the ball which you are in complete control of has blown 3 games when handed the lead late.  They can not get stops to save their life.  They rush four play soft and give up huge chunks of yards everytime in this situation.  He also has the unique ability to call Blitzes at the wrong times and is pretty awful with calling timeouts in these situations.

If you want to have an authoritarian who is in charge of everything he should be someone that has closed the deal before.  If the organization wanted to have it run this way they should have done everything they could have to go get Sean Payton last February.  IMO Sean McDermott is not worthy of all this power and his time here is up.  

If you are worried about disrupting the team or something by firing him then you have not paid attention to the league.  Teams are bringing in new guys all the time and getting good results....at least the same results Buffalo has.  Look at what Brian Flores has done for Minnesota's defense in one half season so far.  There are defensive coordinators who are good at their job on every damn corner.  I am 100 % positive a new DC would be perfectly fine with what they will be handed on defense here even though there are changes coming on that side of the ball next year.  

This is the NFL not a hallmark movie.  You only get so many opportunities to show you can not figure it out before you are replaced.  Its time the head coach was replaced here.  There are some outstanding players on this team and they deserve a Better head coach and some world class coordinators.  This aww shucks hindsight is 20/20 and the qb played well enough to win the LAST TWO WEEKS crap is ridiculous. 

Mcdermott has gone from a possible long term head coach to a guy who seems to have not many contacts in the coaching business to work with him all of a sudden.  He is now the Buffalo Bills Jason Garrett.  If he is not replaced this exactly who he will be...a guy who is here just because they are afraid to make a change. 

I am not interested in anything McDermott says going forward.   I just simply do not care what he has to say.  His words mean little when he keeps taking the same math test and failing.  He is the head coach responsible for every part of the team as he wanted.  The special teams here are not good this year, he had to fire his OC and his own personal Defense he is coordinating and calling has a glass jaw late in games.  Nothing more needs to be said.  These are the situations when you make a change.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Cray51 said:

Didn’t Reid lose to the eagles last week?

The Steelers have one quality win on the season - the Ravens.  They have played weak teams, or good teams with bad situations (no Burrow for example).  Their absolute max is a division appearance this season.  And I do believe Tomlin is a top 5 coach in this league.  But they are lucky right now to be 7-4

Andy Reid doesn’t have the talent the bills have especially offense but most will argue this since we are under performing

or were I should say 

11 hours ago, &lt;bills4life&gt; said:

Beane is an enigma. Some claim he is a wizard. Others say he has missed out a lot on early round draft picks, has bad contracts, and now has aging and oft injured players on defense.  I’m curious to see what others think. What say you?

11 hours ago, Bagwell358 said:

He’s been bad. Really bad.

cap situation is a disaster, multiple day two picks are wasted and we are left with aging players at positions now costing us games.

he hit on Allen, made a nice trade for 14. 

what else?

oh, look two accounts with next to no posting history.. posting right after one another.. I wonder what's going on here. 

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree but this is because Beane is virtually powerless. McDermott is running and ruining this team, even with a generational talented quarterback.

Was Beane to blame for 10 penalties in the first half? Or 13 seconds? I don't think so. 

To McDermott a credit it was pretty lopsided ref job in the first half 

He put this team together. He is fine.  Gabe Davis.  Not re-signing Edmonds. Getting Douglas.  Allen and Diggs.  Torrence seems like a good fit, as does kinkaid.   Cook is promising.  

agree it’s time for a re-tool.  Lots of aging talent.  Von signing was a bust - but it’s really an injury bust - hard to fully pin that on beane.   We pushed hard to win it all these last couple years and failed.  But I’m not sure that’s beanes fault - or really anyone’s fault. 

there is however something off.  This team - as we saw last night - is one of the best teams in the league.  But we lack consistency.  We simply had some horrific games against inferior opponents.  That’s not on beane.   That’s probably more on McDermott/Allen/Captains for not being ready to play Denver and the Jets and the patriots. 

I can accept losing the way we lost last night.  It hurts.  But it’s an acceptable fight and an acceptable loss (refs and penalties aside).  What I can’t accept is laying a complete egg on some other games.  It’s not last night that was the problem this season.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What WR did you want to give $5M this season that is playing better?

The Knox point is on coaching, which I will not argue. But Beane is giving the coaches talent. It's on them to use it properly.

And to add to this point, some would say adding Harty to the roster elevated Shakir's play.

37 minutes ago, Malazan said:

oh, look two accounts with next to no posting history.. posting right after one another.. I wonder what's going on here. 

I have been reading the boards for years. Just because I don’t post often doesn’t mean there was any collusion for whatever you are implying. 

This team has been on autopilot since the AFC title game a few years back. We thought we were one player away.

In reality, we never really mastered the psychology of winning close games as this year has shown us. We waited for Josh to bail us out and got spoilt while he usually did.

Beane brought in an aging Von Miller and a platoon of over the hill running backs.

We've gotten older and slower these last two seasons while the Jags, Ravens and Dolphins all got younger and faster.

The window has all but closed. Maybe we can run the table but with the Chiefs and Cowboys ahead I'm not holding my breath.

What's worse is I feel like we haven't earned our way into the playoffs. Other than Miami, we've beaten up on weaklings. Losing to Jacksonville was a sign. Losing to NE was unforgivable. The Bengals now own us psychologically, admit it. Losing to the Broncos was regrettable and avoidable. 

Beane and McDermott have done much good since being hired but enough with moral victories already. Until we climb the mountain, we're just the latest team to Schottenheimer our way out of contention. 

Beane is average imo. He’s had his misses but so has every other GM in the league. I refuse to be upset with him for the Von signing because almost everyone was on board with it when it happened. It was said if the Bills win a Super Bowl it would be worth it. Where I do blame him is for players like Elam, Poyer/Hyde, Basham, free agent signings, and a lack of a quality second receiver. The team has needed a reliable second receiver for the last couple of years and hasn’t gotten one.   With what Sherfield and Harty have provided they should have kept McKenzie who would have been cheaper and better for the morale on offense. While Elam was a miss Benford was a great find. Since they were in the same draft I consider it a wash with Benford being a late round pick.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Iverwig said:

Beane is average imo. He’s had his misses but so has every other GM in the league. I refuse to be upset with him for the Von signing because almost everyone was on board with it when it happened. It was said if the Bills win a Super Bowl it would be worth it. Where I do blame him is for players like Elam, Poyer/Hyde, Basham, free agent signings, and a lack of a quality second receiver. The team has needed a reliable second receiver for the last couple of years and hasn’t gotten one.   With what Sherfield and Harty have provided they should have kept McKenzie who would have been cheaper and better for the morale on offense. While Elam was a miss Benford was a great find. Since they were in the same draft I consider it a wash with Benford being a late round pick.

Poyer and Hyde were great signings.  You're evaluating them today at the very end of their careers, but when they were signed they were exactly the sort of undervalued assets that you want your GM to uncover.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Poyer and Hyde were great signings.  You're evaluating them today at the very end of their careers, but when they were signed they were exactly the sort of undervalued assets that you want your GM to uncover.

I’m talking about bringing them back this year not when they were first signed. 

• Agree 1

He pulls out a couple of decent starters from every draft.  The cap is a mess, but only a killer if Pegula stops writing checks to get around the cap.  He tends to find some other decent pieces along the way via trades and signings.  This is a very talented team, and he is responsible for assembling almost all of it.  The people complaining about Bean are the same crew that complained about Polian and Butler.  When those guys left the team went down the toilet.  Bean is a top 5 GM in the NFL, he just maybe needs a better coach.  

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

Beane had no part of Hyde/Poyer unless you are referring to them resigning them to the deals they are currently on. 

They were some of the best FA signings this franchise has ever had. The issue now is that the wheels have fallen off and they are still our very best options and will most likely have to reset these two and several other important Defensive positions this offseason.

The negligence surrounding finding a reliable WR2 for the past two seasons while we are in this window is scrutiny he cannot avoid. 

47 minutes ago, Bagwell358 said:

Beane had no part of Hyde/Poyer unless you are referring to them resigning them to the deals they are currently on. 

They were some of the best FA signings this franchise has ever had. The issue now is that the wheels have fallen off and they are still our very best options and will most likely have to reset these two and several other important Defensive positions this offseason.

The negligence surrounding finding a reliable WR2 for the past two seasons while we are in this window is scrutiny he cannot avoid. 

I am referring to the deals they are in now. Of course they were great signings initially however, they are washed and have been washed all season long. 

A lot to like about what Beane has done but the veteran contracts and extensions generally look bad. Von contract might turn out to be one of worst in history. He handed out 120 mil to a 34 year old DE so u are playing with fire and he got burnt. Knox was over paid and Tre contract ended up being terrible but though to predict so many injuries for White. Diggs contract is also looking worrisome as they just kept adding $ and kicking can down the road. Would have been worth it for SB but could not even get there. 

Bills are on a linear regression from conference championship loss to divisional implosion to divisional blowout to missing the playoffs. They’re back in cap jail with nothing to show for it. Litany of pending free agents and other major question marks heading into next season such as Poyer, Hyde, White, Miller, Dawkins, Brown, Morse, Davis, etc. When and if McDermott gets fired, Beane goes too.

15 hours ago, <bills4life> said:

Beane is an enigma. Some claim he is a wizard. Others say he has missed out a lot on early round draft picks, has bad contracts, and now has aging and oft injured players on defense.  I’m curious to see what others think. What say you?

10 pages in and I'm not reading all 10, so apologies if this has been said.

Beane is not a bad GM. He's had some picks hit and had some miss. Free agency has been a mixed bag. He's league average IMO and you could easily do a whole lot worse. 

I do think he rolls the dice to find value on a player that he "thinks" may pan out (like Harty) over a guy that is established and more plug and play way too often. I also think he (and his staff) are better evaluating talent on player than finding player who fit. In that sense he's correct on the player but incorrect on their usefulness to us. Right now Elam may be a shining example of that.

I'm also TERRIFIED of him having an opportunity to pick the next head coach (if it comes to that. One almost constant with Beane is his belief on going with what he knows rather than someone he's unfamiliar with. Could see that a TON in his player acquisitions from Carolina early in his tenure (which is common)...but he continues to do it. Examples are brining in the corpse of Beasley and Brown last year and Josh "107 year old" Norman this year. 

While I'm sure he would interview a bunch of people I have to believe based on his past, 2 guys that would absolutely get an interview would be Ron Rivera and, yes Leslie Frazier. He knows them, he's comfortable with them. And I think if he tried he could sell Pegula on the idea of Ron being a coach that has made a Super Bowl or Frazier already being familiar with the players. 

I like Brandon Beane, I just don't trust him enough in this spot to make a sound choice.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think Beane should stay and McDermott should go.

I also wonder how much of what Brandon Beane does is influenced by giving McDermott a team he says he needs.  

For all of Beane's misses, and he has his fair share, he's still above average.  He's provided the Buffalo Bills with:

Top 2 QB

Top 5 OL

Top 5 DL

Top 5 WR

Along with young pieces like Kincaid, Torrence, Shakir, Cook, Benford and Bernard.

The challenge now will be keeping the DL as a top tier unit next year with our salary cap situation.  Everything else.. Top 5 OL, Top 2 QB, Top 5 WR should carry over, and potentially even be bolstered if we can upgrade on Gabe Davis at WR2 via this loaded draft.

Absolutely insane that we are 6-6 with what I mentioned above.  That's not on Beane.  That's on our choke artist of a Head Coach, who demands resources be spent heavily on defense, yet that defense never steps up when it matters.  Game after Game.  Year after Year.  

Just this year we didn't sign Hopkins, because we spent on Poyer and Floyd.   Then the defense fell apart due to injuries, so Beane got McD Douglas and Joseph.   It's always about the defense... and for what?

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane has had multiple years to fix the trenches and they are still mediocre on their best days. The list of FA signings and draft picks on the OL and DL that were misses is embarrassing.  The only disclaimer…how much say does McDummy have in terms of FA and the draft. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Mynamemike said:

Yes but a six year contract for a thirty five year old player who relies on speed and flexibility was pretty dumb.  Contract should been three years tops

And what if Von said no? I'm gonna go out on a limb and figure Beane would have offered less term if he could. Just a hunch.

But let's not forget that the Miller signing was that swing-for-the-fences move we all say we want the Bills to make.  

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Beane has had multiple years to fix the trenches and they are still mediocre on their best days. The list of FA signings and draft picks on the OL and DL that were misses is embarrassing.  The only disclaimer…how much say does McDummy have in terms of FA and the draft. 

There are justifiable criticisms, but this one ended this year.   Your post is just flat out wrong. 

The Bills have a Top 5 OL and Top 5 DL.  

The question is can they keep the DL going given our cap situation, pending FA's and Beane having a weakness so far at drafting early impact EDGE rushers.

Edited by SCBills

Just now, SCBills said:

There are justifiable criticisms, but this one ended this year.   Your post is just flat out wrong. 

The Bills have a Top 5 OL and Top 5 DL.  

The question is can they keep the DL going given our cap situation, pending FA's and Beane having a weakness so far at drafting early impact EDGE rushers.

Do you have stats to back this up?

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

10 pages in and I'm not reading all 10, so apologies if this has been said.

Beane is not a bad GM. He's had some picks hit and had some miss. Free agency has been a mixed bag. He's league average IMO and you could easily do a whole lot worse. 

I do think he rolls the dice to find value on a player that he "thinks" may pan out (like Harty) over a guy that is established and more plug and play way too often. I also think he (and his staff) are better evaluating talent on player than finding player who fit. In that sense he's correct on the player but incorrect on their usefulness to us. Right now Elam may be a shining example of that.

I'm also TERRIFIED of him having an opportunity to pick the next head coach (if it comes to that. One almost constant with Beane is his belief on going with what he knows rather than someone he's unfamiliar with. Could see that a TON in his player acquisitions from Carolina early in his tenure (which is common)...but he continues to do it. Examples are brining in the corpse of Beasley and Brown last year and Josh "107 year old" Norman this year. 

While I'm sure he would interview a bunch of people I have to believe based on his past, 2 guys that would absolutely get an interview would be Ron Rivera and, yes Leslie Frazier. He knows them, he's comfortable with them. And I think if he tried he could sell Pegula on the idea of Ron being a coach that has made a Super Bowl or Frazier already being familiar with the players. 

I like Brandon Beane, I just don't trust him enough in this spot to make a sound choice.

He's never had the opportunity to do that yet. But if they do move on from McDermott and Beane stays then we will see. He will definitely be the one leading the search for the next HC.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.