Buffalo / Philly Postgame thread

Simon

18 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

A THRILLER!

WOW! GAME OF THE YEAR!

YEAH BABY THAT WAS FUN!

How many games of the year, thriller, one for the record book type games have the Bills lost?   Just add this to the pile of amazing games I’ll never wanna see or hear of again… because Buffalo is the team that lost. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

There’s nothing left now that this team can even do to give you any hope. You aren’t firing McDermott this week, the Offense is good but it’s been. We are just overlooking the issue. The thing has been obvious for years the defense is the issue. McDermotts scheme is the issue. I always thought it was Fraizer but it’s just both of these guys. If McDermott stopped being the DC and let someone else call the defense, that might be the 1 thing that gives you even the smallest little thought that it could be different. Absolutely no shot at that. Anyone that thinks this team is wining 5 straight with this guy right now is crazy. We aren’t going to beat the chiefs in KC so there’s step 1. There won’t be 5 straight wins because the next game isn’t getting off the ground. Absolutely no shot with Andy reid against this defense. This coach was figured out 4 years ago and has no other pitch. Please get this guy out of here or at least let someone else give it a run with the D. I don’t think it’s the players

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's Rasul Douglas.

What should he have done at the 1 yard line to prevent Hurts with an untouched 20 yard head of steam from making it into the end zone?

I think I remember someone saying he went for the punch out which there was time left so it's not like it was tie or lose or anything.

Just now, Warcodered said:

I think I remember someone saying he went for the punch out which there was time left so it's not like it was tie or lose or anything.

Looks like it from the clip. About all he could do with Hurts bearing down on him with a complete free run after McD called a horrible blitz (again) that left the field wide open.

In that situation, getting mad at a CB for not making the stop at the 1 is just looking for reasons to not blame the coach.

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's Rasul Douglas.

What should he have done at the 1 yard line to prevent Hurts with an untouched 20 yard head of steam from making it into the end zone?

This was a touchdown at the point of the photo. The Bill's front 6 failed on this run.

Edited by Pokebball
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

Romos comment, FWIW, was that if the player is open he would go inside instead of out like Gabe did so the QB had a greater margin of error.  Gabes continued reaction that they kept showing would indicate that was true as well.  But it's subtle at best, probably no reason to blame anyone on that play.

Cover 0 with no safety help inside, is not subtle. It's exactly how Denver got their PI to beat the Bills, the chuck'n'duck to an area since everyone is singled up and no safety help. As soon as there is no safety inside WR needs to be looking for the ball.

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

I agree that the refs were literally wearing green outfits for most of the game, and were incredibly incompetent, and IMO, it did affect the outcome of the game, but....

...on the horse collar / grounding play, if you watch the video closely, the Philly defender did NOT have his hand inside the collar on the BACK of JA. He obviously did have his hand on the inside of his collar in front, above JA's chest, as he ripped the jersey there. So, the ref seemed to say in the post game presser that a horse collar must be administered on the back side of a player to be a foul. Is the latter true? I had thought that a hand inside the collar, anywhere around a player's head (360°), is a personal foul.

Also, the grounding part of it did seem legitimate; JA should have just taken the sack. And in actuality, he should have just thrown it away before he was dragged down.

Hochuli's interpretation does not align to the description or how a horse collar applies to a QB outside the pocket as Allen was.

ARTICLE 16. HORSE-COLLAR TACKLE

No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, or grab the jersey at the name plate or above, and pull the runner toward the ground.

This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

Note: It is not necessary for a player to pull the runner completely to the ground in order for the act to be illegal. If his knees are buckled by the action, it is a foul, even if the runner is not pulled completely to the ground.

Penalty: For a Horse-Collar Tackle: Loss of 15 yards and an automatic first down

IMO - just another crappy Hochuli call followed by typical hubris to cover the gaffe.

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

As I've said in recent weeks, if you expect to lose and hope for the best these type of trainwrecks are easier to deal with. Not even interested in doing a rewatch and analysis at this point either.

I picked the Bills to win this week and it should have happened with a competent head coach. Another legendary performance and NFL game of the year that this team is once again on the losing end of. People keep saying there's no way that Terry Pegula will fire McDummy but I'm still not sure that's going to be the case especially once the obvious reality sits in at the end of the year and this team isn't playing postseason football.

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

As I've said in recent weeks, if you expect to lose and hope for the best these type of trainwrecks are easier to deal with. Not even interested in doing a rewatch and analysis at this point either.

I picked the Bills to win this week and it should have happened with a competent head coach. Another legendary performance and NFL game of the year that this team is once again on the losing end of. People keep saying there's no way that Terry Pegula will fire McDummy but I'm still not sure that's going to be the case especially once the obvious reality sits in at the end of the year and this team isn't playing postseason football.

Good luck to Terry selling tickets at the new stadium with increased tickets prices and PSL fees with a declining team heading in the wrong direction. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

Good luck to Terry selling tickets at the new stadium with increased tickets prices and PSL fees with a declining team heading in the wrong direction. 

This is it...money talks, and why Pegulas need to be willing to swallow the stupid contract extension and dump McD because if not they'll likely see a big dip in ticket/merchandise sales if they allow this moron to come back in a true 'lame duck' year in 2024 where he likely gets fired by midseason anyway.

Add to the fact this team is facing a critical roster reset/mini rebuild in the offseason and it's all the more reason to take some lumps with a new head coach and offensive/defensive schemes next year if necessary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Steve tasker on one bills drive doesn't realize that the mistakes McDermott is making today are the same ones he was making 6 years ago.....he doesn't learn 

Everything this team does is fine with Tasker. Sal as well for a large portion of it. I can't stand listening to Brown talk anymore but at least he challenges tasker at times. 

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

To be fair to Bass he missed one long kick in poor conditions, it really ***** sucks and people are building a narrative against him, but that ***** happens, nothing he can do about a blocked kick.

He hit that blocked one way too low IMO. It was 34 yards, get more air under it. 

2 missed kicks in a a game as a top paid kicker is unacceptable, especially when their guy is drilling a 59 yarder

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dan said:

How many games of the year, thriller, one for the record book type games have the Bills lost?   Just add this to the pile of amazing games I’ll never wanna see or hear of again… because Buffalo is the team that lost. 

Under McDermott?

Houston playoff game, Hail Mary against Arizona, 13 seconds, Vikings game, this one.

Those were probably all game of the year candidates (maybe not the Texans game) and the bills lost every single one lol.

That doesn’t even include all the other inexplicable close losses

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Under McDermott?

Houston playoff game, Hail Mary against Arizona, 13 seconds, Vikings game, this one.

Those were probably all game of the year candidates (maybe not the Texans game) and the bills lost every single one lol.

That doesn’t even include all the other inexplicable close losses

Week 1 vs the Jets with the punt return in OT. The Pats game. The Broncos game. All in heartbreaking fashion. It's time for a change and I hope Terry realizes it.

Just now, Gregg said:

Week 1 vs the Jets with the punt return in OT. The Pats game. The Broncos game. All in heartbreaking fashion. It's time for a change and I hope Terry realizes it.

For sure- I was more mentioning game of the year candidate losses.

But ya those ones you listed definitely fall under the inexplicable loss category including a lot more over the years 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Nate Geary nailed it on his show. You can’t fight fate. That miraculous FG was always going to go in. We are just cursed. You knew that FG was going to go in too deep down in your soul if you were being honest, just admit it. There was never a doubt. If it was against any of the other franchises, there would’ve been some drama with it. It’s an awful feeling knowing it’s just not meant to be. 

3 of us in a room  All 3 said it's going in. Cursed

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Miller was on a tear before he blew out his knee…an injury like that could happen to anyone at any time to be fair 

it’s not like he was bad since he signed here…the dude was so good the first half of last season 

Miller signing could have been aj brown or devante adams...another caveman decision by bean and McDermott 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Billever76 said:

Miller signing could have been aj brown or devante adams...another caveman decision by bean and McDermott 

This is an underappreciated point.  I don't blame Bean/McD for Miller's injury.  Hell it's not Miller fault either - S### happens.  But swinging for the fences in signing Miller was a clear example of the Bills screwed up priotites in favoring the D over the O. If you're going to take a chance take one with an older O lineman or skill player.  Get closer to SF's offer for CMAC (even with legit injury concerns) as you know Carolina would have taken a little less to get McCaffrey out of the NFC.

In the last 6 seasons the Bills have only taken big swings on offense twice:  drafting Allen and signing Diggs.  And therein lies the problem.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is an underappreciated point.  I don't blame Bean/McD for Miller's injury.  Hell it's not Miller fault either - S### happens.  But swinging for the fences in signing Miller was a clear example of the Bills screwed up priotites in favoring the D over the O. If you're going to take a chance take one with an older O lineman or skill player.  Get closer to SF's offer for CMAC (even with legit injury concerns) as you know Carolina would have taken a little less to get McCaffrey out of the NFC.

In the last 6 seasons the Bills have only taken big swings on offense twice:  drafting Allen and signing Diggs.  And therein lies the problem.

Miller was a HORRIBLE idea. If you did it like the Rams and signed him for a year, OK. But saddling the team with that contract was an abject failure, and probably a fire-able offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Hochuli's interpretation does not align to the description or how a horse collar applies to a QB outside the pocket as Allen was.

ARTICLE 16. HORSE-COLLAR TACKLE

No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, or grab the jersey at the name plate or above, and pull the runner toward the ground.

This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

Note: It is not necessary for a player to pull the runner completely to the ground in order for the act to be illegal. If his knees are buckled by the action, it is a foul, even if the runner is not pulled completely to the ground.

Penalty: For a Horse-Collar Tackle: Loss of 15 yards and an automatic first down

IMO - just another crappy Hochuli call followed by typical hubris to cover the gaffe.

i just have to laugh man, it's written to cover grabbing the collar, but they said oh no, it was the front.

like, they just don't know the rule

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Miller was a HORRIBLE idea. If you did it like the Rams and signed him for a year, OK. But saddling the team with that contract was an abject failure, and probably a fire-able offense.

I agree that in hindsight you're right.  But the bigger problem with the Miller signing IMO was that it again showed how screwed up the Bill's priorities were in focusing on their D at the expense of their O.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree that in hindsight you're right.  But the bigger problem with the Miller signing IMO was that it again showed how screwed up the Bill's priorities were in focusing on their D at the expense of their O.  

I thought it was horrible the day it happened. But what do I know? lol

• Like (+1) 1

After a day of stewing on this loss, all I can think is how demoralizing it is.  

I was really hoping that the change to Brady could save the season after the Jets win.  Post Eagles game, it's just abundantly clear that McDermott is not the guy.  Not only does this loss probably sink the season, but it's time for an organizational restructure.  Which I doubt will go well with Pegula.  

The cherry on top is that the refs were clearly biased in the Eagles game which will be completely ignored by the hordes of ignorant NFL fans.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

I'd like to hear an argument that says McDermott is getting better at his job after 7 years into it. Don't most people get good at their jobs in year 3?

I'm being honest and serious. I just don't see any growth. 

I think you could argue he got better each year the first three seasons but since then he hasn't learn or grown at all. If anything he regressed since year 3 

1 hour ago, Julio Hopkins said:

After a day of stewing on this loss, all I can think is how demoralizing it is.  

I was really hoping that the change to Brady could save the season after the Jets win.  Post Eagles game, it's just abundantly clear that McDermott is not the guy.  Not only does this loss probably sink the season, but it's time for an organizational restructure.  Which I doubt will go well with Pegula.  

The cherry on top is that the refs were clearly biased in the Eagles game which will be completely ignored by the hordes of ignorant NFL fans.  

This team really can't afford a down season next year. Going into a new stadium on a downward trend is going to make hard to sell PSL and season tickets 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

This team really can't afford a down season next year. Going into a new stadium on a downward trend is going to make hard to sell PSL and season tickets 

Absolutely.  But so let it be written; so let it be done.  The Pegula clan made this bed, so...

Sooner or later they'll get the message that the product on the field isn't good enough.  They had me hooked from 2019 until the end of last season, but at the same time you get the feeling that somebody put this team's gear into reverse then hit the gas pedal -- and on top of that I am having a hard time seeing that they'll be able to course correct anytime soon, and not without a huge change.  Allen's output has been really good for the most part, but without him the Bills would probably end up trending more like the Sabres.

20 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

He took another shot to the head on one of his catches which once again should have been a penalty. but uncalled of course! I didnt really see him feature too much after that. Might have been a factor or maybe not?

If Buffalo did that to a receiver, there would be 4 flags laying on the ground!

I tried to not be mad today and I made it to like 7:32- the hole thing has me at a loss - I read and I read - definitely not a cure forthe Bills let down blues, not that it was ever intended to be.

How is the defensive payroll what it is with the results it's yielded.And better yet why in an offensive driven league?

Then how is it you have a defensive head coach who just "parted ways" with previous defensive coordinator and has taken full "Control" just looked continuously outclassed against top competition.

The problem is Clear as day, to me anyway- McDermotts defensive approach to the game will not get it done in 2023 paired with his overstep into the offense gameplan seemingly getting worse. His approach and opinion on how Josh approaches the game followed by his influence to the free agency all the way to game execution is troubling. That doesn't even scratch the surface on how incredibly bad his in game decisions have been.  

Everyone peaks man- acceptance to that is never easy- but if your truly about accountability, as your mentorship with Cook shines through, just please resign and let's get a high quality guy in here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Problem with going after CMC is Dorsey has no ingenuity and would have no idea how to to utilize him. I mean look at Nyheim Hines. He was hardly integrated into our offense. I know Hines isn’t CMC, but based on 1.5 years of Dorsey I think it’s fair to say he has no idea how to use his pieces. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I think you could argue he got better each year the first three seasons but since then he hasn't learn or grown at all. If anything he regressed since year 3 

He should go into the team meeting and apologize to the guys, tell them that he has gotten his tail from being affixed to arse and let them know they are going full throttle from here!!

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Couldn’t sleep well last night. That loss is going to be hard to get over. 

You must be a new fan…😉

I became numb to the Bills after 13 seconds…I root for wins, but I’m totally fine when they lose…

I’ve learned that getting upset is not worth wasting on a franchise that is cursed and will likely never win the big one…

So, after 35 years of fandom, I have made my peace with it…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.