Jets @ Bills Postgame thread

Simon

46 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

The offense seemed far, far less disjointed and far, far less predictable.

Brady called a great game, and whatever changes he and Kromer made to the run game were fantastic. The number of times the OL was able to blast holes in the Jets defensive front was truly relieving.  That Jets DL is no joke and they were getting rag dolled over and over for 4-6 yard gains.

A lot of tackle wrap that we have been doing well all season.

Works especially well vs 4-man fronts as Brown can block down on their 1T with Torrence and then Dawkins pulls around to blow up their edge defender. It is just that this game they continued to go back to it and the Jets did not have a lot of answers other than getting chippy after getting rolled for yards.

Been looking for more toss-sweeps, swing, and wheel passes and Brady mixed more of those in too which caught their LBs out of position a few times

It is just one game for Brady, you can't get too high or too low. That being said, this is a much more talented offense than the one he had in NC, we will see what he is able to get out of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I would agree. 

I would also state we cannot absolve the players of any wrong doing. What we saw tonight was in large part what we’ve seen for weeks.

The difference is that a few bounce here and there fell our way. 

We weren’t exactly world beaters on offense, but got the job done.

Again, just my opinion, but when Allen doesn’t drop the ball (he did, we fell on it) and our WRs don’t tip it to the other team (Shakir did, they missed it), we don’t play with awful field position (Cook fumble last week vs Gilliam FF this week)…it looks like an entirely different team.

Run game was essentially the same scheme as we’ve seen. Diggs was for most part a non-factor and Kincaid had a decent half. Gabe Davis still posting goose eggs. 

I am thrilled with the beat down, but I caution everyone who is claiming new world order as if erasing Dorsey eliminated every issue that’s plagued this offense. 

Cautiously optimistic! 

Considering they shut it down for the entire fourth quarter and still rolled up 400 yards of offense and 30+ points against a top 5 D… I’m not sure what more you want.   I don’t think we threw a pass for the final 10 minutes of game time. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Check out Kincaid right at the end of this.

Great routes, hands, yac, downfield blocking...and literally throwing hands when needed. The Rook ain't fu*king around.

Kincaid looks like he's been a pro for half a decade. The dude just belongs out there, total stud.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7

4 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

Considering they shut it down for the entire fourth quarter and still rolled up 400 yards of offense and 30+ points against a top 5 D… I’m not sure what more you want.   I don’t think we threw a pass for the final 10 minutes of game time. 

Not much.

My comments were gear towards those crediting Brady for the success. I was simply arguing that it’s the execution of the players that got it done. 

If my post seemed melodramatic, I’m simply pointing to existing issues that we’ve seen in previous weeks that still plague us today, or very possibly could have. 

As I said in that post, I’m thrilled with the win.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Considering Jets D had Josh’s number….

more than 18 pts was totally unexpected. 

Scouting Report: Jets stand as tall challenge in Joe Brady's first game as new Bills offensive coordinator

‘Jets 17, Bills 16.’

BUFFALO NEWS | 20 HOURS AGO

Hometown newspaper - unbelievable. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

The team has a lot to overcome but this was a huge step in the right direction. 

Douglas is looking like the best trade since Diggs. Instant game changer on defense.

Shakir should be the #2 moving forward. Davis is (and rightfully should be) phased out, and I’ll be very surprised if the Bills offer him a contract. 

Cook looks great, no surprise there.

Kincaid is going to be a star. I see him being a staple in this offense for the rest of Allen’s career.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I can’t believe I am saying this, but Tyrell Dodson looked really Good today too. 

He had one of his better games and seemed to be in the right spots in zone when covering the flat. Had some good solid downhill stops too in the run game.

9 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

was surprised to see they played a bit more traditional 4-3 today, and Dodson really made some stops in both the run and pass game today. 

3 LBers on the field was a beautiful thing to see. If there’s one team that doesn’t have to constantly play with 2 LBs, it’s us. Both 43/42 can really run. Put 3 LBs out there and take our chances with those LBs in coverage. That’s what I’d do against Philly. Don’t let them run all over us.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

How about Ty Johnson? 

where has he been all my life?! 

It's crazy how challenging we've found it to get our RBs involved in the offense over the past few years. The fact that a guy like Ty Johnson could come in off the PS and immediately produce like that, it shows you how easy it should be to have a run game when defenses are going all out to stop your passing offense. We've made it look so difficult for so long.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm not harboring any illusions.  Buffalo can possibly afford one or two more losses this season and they have to run a gauntlet the last 7 games.  The injuries have been devastating, but mostly the Bills have been their own worst enemy the last several games, particularly on the offensive side of the ball where injuries have been less of a factor.  I'm not going to worry about the playoffs until the Bills string a few wins together, but I'm encouraged that the Bills figured out how to play a game without beating themselves.  They just need to head to Philadelphia next week and do the same thing and I will be happy. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

Joe Brady just called a game that destroyed the #3 defense in the league on 5 days notice.

Anyone who has any complaints can just go STFU and hang out with Filthy Beast.

We got the W against a good D when an L would have ended the season. That’s all that matters. We live to fight another day.

Bonus points - we won without Diggs or Davis making plays, which means when they get back involved things will get even better. 

Only downside I saw was the defensive injuries which may be too much to overcome and Smiley should have been fired at halftime. 

For a long time, it seemed like defenses focused almost solely on Allen-to-Diggs.  When they got in Allen's face and/or covered Diggs, we were screwed.  But today against a good D we ran the ball fairly successfully and made critical plays through the air that didn't involve Diggs.  

Allen-to-Diggs wasn't very effective today and yet we still scored 30+ against one of the NFL's top D's.  

Brady is off to an encouraging start.  

42 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Do wonder if Ty Johnsons play will spell the end of Fournette's career on the Bills before it ever even started.

I was really happy with the Damien Harris signing and thought he'd end up being a fixture for a few years.  I guess not.  The RB room is getting crowded, and I wonder who'll they'll keep/resign for next season.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

For a long time, it seemed like defenses focused almost solely on Allen-to-Diggs.  When they got in Allen's face and/or covered Diggs, we were screwed.  But today against a good D we ran the ball fairly successfully and made critical plays through the air that didn't involve Diggs.  

Allen-to-Diggs wasn't very effective today and yet we still scored 30+ against one of the NFL's top D's.  

Brady is off to an encouraging start.  

Undeniable how much better this offense looked compared to week 1.

Had a short week and had a great game plan, was able to get some chunk plays, and had a great unpredictable run game.

Very impressive and a good start, but there are some big tests up ahead. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We just returned from the game. It was the first time my Wife and I brought our 9 and 11 year old Boys to a game and it didn't dissapoint! Everyone made them feel quite welcome! Cool to see the progress on the new Stadium Site as well. 

That first hit on the kickoff just jacked up the atmosphere Ten notches. Not scoring Seven there kind of felt like the here we go again with this offense.

The Jets D is really good. Every yard the Bills earned on the ground was really tough running.  Lots of tight coverage on our Guys. Credit to Allen for taking the underneath play at times abd  finding Kincaid over the middle.

Gabe Davis is pretty frustrating to watch. Him and Josh are just not on the same page. Another one of those plays where Allen thinks he was going deep and Gabe  stopped his route short. Gabe actually has some angry back and forth words with someone on the Bills sideline after that play. 

Diggs had a few dropped balls.  Sauce was good but Diggs had some opportunites albeit tough catches. 

Another scary scene where the ambulance came out for Taron.. I didn’t realize Rapp got hurt too. He was across the Field so we didn’t really know what was happening.. This probably would have been avoided had the Special Teams not get burned for the fake punt.  

The crowd seemed to be tired of the fake lining up on fourth down  to draw a penalty. Even then Jets were Laughing it off.

The D was so fun to watch! They were really nasty to Wilson. I watched him get tossed around like a rag doll at times.

Play of the day for me was witnessing that Throw To Shakir. No one without that arm strength makes that throw. I don’t even think Josh stepped in to it. I actually though he was going to be picked off and It was icing on the cake for Shakir take it to the house! 

Go Bills! 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I didn’t realize Wilson didn’t have one completion to a wide receiver today… How is that even possible???

Just now, Bimmer323i said:

I didn’t realize Wilson didn’t have one completion to a wide receiver today… How is that even possible???

Please correct me if I heard it wrong

4 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Not as good as Josh Allen teabagging Jalen Ramsey

1 minute ago, Bimmer323i said:

Rasul Douglas kept intercepting them?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

But the “look what happens when you let Allen run” thing doesn’t fit here. He was 5/15 tonight. His game logs the rest of the season are 

6/36

3/7

3/46

4/17

4/14

2/11

7/17

7/41

8/44

4/14

For me it's less about Allen's final rushing stat line, and more about what giving him the green light to run does to his overall effectiveness as a player. Running through an open rush lane instead of forcing the ball downfield is a big positive step. I have always felt that Allen is a much better QB when he has that freedom to run wild and hey even crash face first into a LB from time to time. His attitude and demeanor on the field look entirely different when given that freedom. Whatever causes that effect you can't deny it's there.

• Like (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.