McDermott weird comments about Josh Allen

HappyDays

5 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

I think Allen would be doing himself a huge favor if he started consulting some hof QBs and coaches after this season and maybe even going to see a sports psychologist. Sit down and learn all the nuances to the point it becomes instinctive. He’s overthinking way too much, to the point where he has to make himself throw up and making bad decisions on the field. It’s always amazing watching old Brady and Manning clips in how effortless they made it on the field, and it’s because they were mentally obsessed with the game of football. Allen is way more athletic and talented then both of those guys. There is zero reason why Allen can’t be the greatest ever, he just has to clear his head and learn the nuances of the game. 

This little exchange you and UK had was an excellent collection of observations about Allen  I think you describe him, and what else he needs to do, perfectly.   "Mentally obsessed with the game" is exactly right.   It's not enough to think about it and then trust your body.  You've got to know it, inside and out, live it, and when you can do that, then you'll be special.  

And here's the big question about McDermott.   Almost every QB needs a coach who shares his obsession, and the two have to relate.   The coach is the one who stokes and feeds the passion.   Brady without the obsessive Belichick might never have grown to what he became.  Reid is Mahomes' muse.  It can't be the OC, because OCs are going to come and go, so it has to be McDermott.  McDermott and Allen have to be tight for this team to flourish.  If they aren't, then there has to be a new head coach. 

Simply put, at the end of the day, the job of the head coach of the Buffalo Bills is to harness the power that is Josh Allen.   If you can't do that, you aren't the man for the job.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Josh has that look of emptiness.  Can't help but think being in Buffalo without Britt is getting to him.  Everything happened with them so late in season that he was constantly traveling right after they broke up.  After months in Buffalo, I bet it doesn't feel like it has the previous 5 years for him.   We have all been there when a place doesn't feel like home anymore and you just start going through the motions.

More likely, the dog. She took the dog with her. 

36 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

McD needs to go.  We are now going to hope he gets his 4th OC right - the best one he had somehow he managed to alienate and not build off what he had.  How?  

Who hired Dorsey?  Who made the final decisions?  McD thought Dorsey was a fit for Allen and failed.  

Who made the call to turn a QB with downfield DNA and the ability to throw the ball wherever he wants into Trent Edwards - he physically looks bored and disengaged playing EXCLUSIVELY that way. 

But that’s the offense they gave him.  Here is some Deonte Harty to do nothing and a little Trent Sherfield.  We’re going to also draft no WRs since the Diggs trade of any significance and disregard the RB position.  

The abandonment of the attacking down field offense featuring Allen runs and improvisation has been neutered and that is reason #2 why McD should be fired.  The colossal chokes, boneheaded mistakes in big moments, and getting beat in games by offenses not led by Mike White or Skylar Thompson is reason #1.   

I’m beyond done.  Spent a lot of time pondering all this from McD this week and the stuff being said and Diggs PC.  

The players have quit on him. 

Hope Brady works out I guess.  But my belief is it won’t because it’s McD.   

He’s forever going to be running from 13 seconds.  It’s unfortunate.  But…..you can’t f… up like that and not expect it all to unravel.  

Told you all this within 2 minutes of us losing to the Chiefs.  Fire Everyone I said.  

2 years wasted.  It better be for the best.  

Come on down Bobby Slowik or Ben Johnson.  

The Bills have no real vertical threat and no big bodied WR that can turn 50/50 balls into 90/10 balls like D Hop can.  For some reason that remains more mysterious then the birth of the universe the Bills can not execute a screen pass.  Which of their RB's over the last 5 seasons could take a game over?  How many sacks would this O line have given up if Joe Burrow was back there in shot gun?

Is it any wonder that Allen is down after watching the Bills stand still relative to their biggest AFC rivals in the conferences offensive arms race? At what point does relying on lower draft picks and other teams cast offs & back up players to build the Offense just get depressing?

Sure they took Kincaid in the 1st round this year and it's about freaking time.  And guess what that may be one of the few positives we take out of this season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

If the Bills somehow win the SB this year - which will be a minor miracle - it'll make the reload much easier to handle.

If they don't, it's a perfect time to change regimes. This regime didnt get it done on their first go around with a franchise QB. Why would we want them around for the second try? Get a couple new decision makers in the building now while they still have an opportunity to rebuild the team in the image they want.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

To most of us fans, it’s pretty clear what the issue is. Allen needs to get his head on straight and figure it out. He has the physical tools to be one of the greatest QBs to play the game. 

The NFL changes and moves to play players differently. Most teams now play 2 high shell all the time. Allen has been struggling this year as teams play him differently. He needs to seek help figuring it out. 

I was being entirely sarcastic

re: the bolded - another overly simplistic take.

He's miserable bc he's been emasculated as a QB/athlete and it's affecting his psyche and his play. Removing the superior elements of his game & his strengths is like putting blinders on a thoroughbred.

But sure, he just needs to "figure it out"

Edited by BuffaninSarasota
add
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

However, McDermott is not one of those people.  McDermott makes himself get better.  He demands it of himself. 

Saying this doesn't make it true.  The steady downward result arc since the 13 seconds choke, in the AFC championship game provides strong evidence that if he has not plateued, the arc is downward, not upward. 

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Saying this doesn't make it true.  The steady downward result arc since the 13 seconds choke, in the AFC championship game provides strong evidence that if he has not plateued, the arc is downward, not upward. 

And yet people won't say the same about the actual guy on the field making the terrible choices & constantly giving the opponent the football...

• Vomit 1

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah and Dan Orlovsky did multiple nice break downs actually of how Dorsey had motion without purpose.  Which was a big issue in his eyes where we are motioning guys and then not using the information gained from the motion to attack the defense and would just simply run a play.  

And I think that was the heart of Dorsey's failures...he ran plays, not an offense.  He was a first time OC...he entered the job without having a proven offensive scheme and design.  It reminds me of writing a cookbook before you have cooked any of the recipes.   

Everything about our offense under Dorsey felt a lot more like a script than a fluid offense coaching, motioning, attacking, and adjusting to the defense in front of them.  When Dorsey was asked why he wasn't going to the up tempo offense earlier and more often, his answer to why he switches to a slow it down style was to "not be predictable".  Ironically, that might be the most predictable thing about him. 

Great stuff, particularly the bold.  

I've heard coaches say that they love coaching because it's a way to continue competing.   That of course is McDermott, but a lot of other guys, too.  Beane actually says it, that what he loves about the job is trying to beat the other GMs in free agency and the draft.  

Dorsey never seemed to me to be a fighter.   He seems to like the game because it's a puzzle to solve, rather than a chance to run over the other guys.  

Just now, HappyDays said:

If they don't, it's a perfect time to change regimes. This regime didnt get it done on their first go around with a franchise QB. Why would we want them around for the second try? Get a couple new decision makers in the building now while they still have an opportunity to rebuild the team in the image they want.

My guess is for that to happen is if they don't get in playoffs. Because if they do end up getting in then after all this who do you think gets the credit for turning things around?

34 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Deek -

This is outstanding.  Thanks for taking the time to say that.  I understand it completely, and it is something that I've observed in people, as well.   Most everyone plateaus.   

In my own career, by several measures I plateaued at an identifiable level.   But having plateaued at some point, it didn't mean that my learning plateaued.   I continue to have developed as a human being, and accumulated more experience so that I began to understand things and accomplish things that I simply could not have done earlier.  I like to think I had some kind of wisdom.  

If you mean plateaued in the sense that the person will never get better, yes, there are people who just choose to mail it in, plenty of people who just get comfortable in their jobs.   However, McDermott is not one of those people.  McDermott makes himself get better.  He demands it of himself.   

I'm not saying I know what's right.   What you say certainly could describe the reality of McDermott and the situation, and what I say could be nonsense.  I tend to like my take better than yours but then, you tend to like yours.  

The real bottom line is that we pretty much all hope that Joe Brady is special, right out of the gate, and the Bills go 6-1 and stroll into the playoffs, led by their consensus league MVP.   What we all want to see is the answer to the real question:  What are you going to do now?

We’re all going to see. One thing I’ve learned is that some people are fixers, others are builders, and still others are resilient leaders, etc. The circumstances around McD have changed. The upward trend is definitely over! Can he adapt? Does he know what to do when the upward trend reaches its natural conclusion. You believe he will. I simple don’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

You don't think this is a weird thing to say as a head coach in reference to your QB?

...McDermott on why he think that's dissipated with Allen over the last few weeks: "Yeah, I have my own thoughts, but I won’t go there right now. '

That is a legitimately bizarre thing to say in a press conference.

Do you want him to say Dorsey has been trash and that's why we fired him? Or Josh is the reason we're losing games and now he's down on himself?  

There's about a million things right now he could say to throw gas on the fire and he's doing his best to mitigate any psychological issues he can.  Why would he willingly damage his reputation with not only the team, but fans as well, by giving more info than necessary.

I swear so many people just want to raise the pitchforks and have anything to gripe about 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Terry knows he needs a competitive team going into the new stadium. I am sure Beane and McDermott are facing pressure to turn this around. Like you said... good luck asking fans to pay a big increase in ticket prices along with PSL fees for a crap product. Terry can ask Johnson and Mara how that worked out. It didn't.

Then again, I'm told all that these teams care about anymore is corporate dollars, and corporations buy the expensive suites etc. and farm them out. 

Honestly though, if that's the case, then expecting loyalty from fans ... SMH  

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Interesting you mention Brady. 

I was recently watching this game between the 7-0 Colts and 6-1 Patriots from SNF in Foxborough in 2006.

It reminded me that Tom Brady was once just a great football player, but a young guy who wasn't the basically perfect robot that he became once he hit 38 or 39 years old and never threw picks, never threw incomplete passes, and basically never lost. At least it seemed that way. 

He threw 4 INT at home this night, which wasn't usual for him, but he was a young, dynamic player who wasn't always perfect back then. That's your Josh Allens, Joe Burrows, Patrick Mahomes types now (not that they will become Brady).

But Brady wasn't "Brady" then either. He was a top QB in the league, had won some Super Bowls, but wasn't anywhere near what he would become. 

He won more Super Bowls after age 37 than before. That's crazy. 

Brady was in five and won 3 Super Bowls well before he was 37.  

Here's the thing, he never had top WR talent with the exception of Moss.  He had Gronk, but he only played with Moss for two seasons, went to the SB in one of them.  Other than that he turned average WRs into something special.  

Allen, Burrow, and Mahomes are very different QBs as well.  

My point about Brady was that his coaches didn't ruin him.  I'm not sure what the point you're making here is in relation to that.  ??  

If it's that Brady wasn't perfect, no doubt.  But Brady also rarely if ever strung below-average games back to back much less in a string.  

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

That will be the million dollar question Sunday... After the Dorsey firing will the team come out hyped and ready to play or come out looking like they wanted someone else punted.

Samson has been in a funk since Delilah cut his hair on her way out of the mansion.

Yeah, that's a great point.  

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This has been going on since after the Broncos game. McDermott has been in self-preservation mode. He praised the defensive players for playing their asses off, giving them (and his own play calling) no fault for the loss. He then went on to criticize the offense heavily and fired his OC the next day. When asked about the end of game FG debacle he commented that they had practiced that situation throughout the week but "failed to execute." His post game presser was completely unhinged. He blamed one player after another, never pointing the finger at himself. I can't imagine that landed well in the locker room.

No bias here...just facts:

Offense- 3 scoring drives and 4 turnovers, missing 1 starter (Knox)

Defense- only 6 points allowed on turnovers in our territory.  Down 5 starters

S/T- a complete mess on punt coverage (mostly on Martin)

I'd say Coach was fairly accurate with his comments, and disappointment in the offense.

We've had multiple games where the offense "let us down".  Yes, we could get better at WR2; but this is still a talented group and not executing/inconsistent/not using its best weapons appropriately.

We have no proof Coach is meddling in the offense, although it appears it might be happening.  We will soon see if Dorsey was the true problem, on that side of ball.

Defense is fine.  Coach is correct in putting more heat on offense.  It's not being unaccountable, just honest feedback

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I have been very critical of McDermott, but what if he (and Josh) just love the team and fans and wants to win so badly that their frustrations are getting the best of them? 

Well, then as grown men getting paid multi-millions, multi-tens-of-millions in Allen's case, they'll simply have to learn to set their emotions aside and be more pragmatic and find some methodologies and approaches that are consistently effective.  

I mean honestly, if they haven't figured that out by now ... 

Not criticizing you, it's a good and valid thought, but honestly, that can't be it.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This all sounds pretty bizarre:

Ealier this week McDermott was asked about firing Dorsey and said "OC is a leadership position." Is it possible he felt that Dorsey wasn't getting Allen and the other offensive players into the right mindset and energy? And this more than play calling is what led to the firing?

I don’t think will ever know… All I know is I’m excited to see what Brady brings to the table… Besides Kincaid and few offensive line we have the same offense as last year… Maybe a little tweak here or there is all we need to start lighting up the scoreboard again…

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Sure KC is struggling with inferior skill players like Buffalo but no one doubts that the Chiefs have a better O line and offensive coaching.  And is there any doubt that during the off season the Chiefs will move heaven & earth to resupply Mahomes with top end play makers?

The other thing with KC that is just so frustrating is they have invested a lot into their defense lately, BUT it's actually paid off. I mean Mahomes led his offense to ZERO points in an entire half against Miami. And they won the game! That's straight up insane. 17 points against the Jaguars. And they won! Allen is performing better than Mahomes against the same opponents, but because Allen's defense is worse we have people questioning if he needs to see a psychiatrist. Maybe McDermott should see a psychiatrist for his pathological urge to pay fat lazy defensive linemen instead of above average pass catchers.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Kelly drank. Bruce did cocaine.  Biscuit raped a girl.

None of us know what is going on in these player's lives. 

Something has changed with Josh. We can all see it. 

Let's hope it is not something bad. 

He puts hot sauce in his Pepsi

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, then as grown men getting paid multi-millions, multi-tens-of-millions in Allen's case, they'll simply have to learn to set their emotions aside and be more pragmatic and find some methodologies and approaches that are consistently effective.  

I mean honestly, if they haven't figured that out by now ... 

Not criticizing you, it's a good and valid thought, but honestly, that can't be it.  

Exactly! Everybody WANTS TO win. The Bills problem, at least under McDermott anyway, is the their heads haven’t been in the moment, in the moment. Way, way, way too many foolish mistakes at crunch time. The really good teams and their coaches learn to stay focused at those crucial moments. It’s as if time stands still for them. There’s no pressure. No crowd noise. No thoughts about what happens if we fail. They’re simply undistracted. Very, very few people have that skill set. It is NOT luck! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Didn't seem bizarre to me, but who knows...

One thought - maybe Dorsey became a jerk as this season went on?  The O scheme isn't working, putting more pressure on him, more pressure on players, everyone is walking on eggshells trying not to F up, rather than playing fast and loose and having fun. We did see Dorse flip and smash that clipboard 🤣

The comments about Brady's "energy" etc., kinda play into that thought too.  Again, who knows, I'm interested in if we'll see any change in Josh and the O this week (against a Jets D that has killed us recently). :beer: 

There are so many things the Team could do to help Allen out more  imo. Why are we the only team that never  can  seem to incorporate a real screen game into the plan? Oh wait we have tried once or twice and we really suck at it.. I’m not sure why. We get killed by it time and time again. 

Do we have a legitimate deep threat? Not really. 

I also think Allen misses a good Veteran Mentor at his side.   Allen was very close to Barkley and back when we were  rolling on O, many of the players would go out to eat with Wives and Girlfriends.. they would be constantly posting it on Instagram.. We just seemed like a close knit group. I don’t see any of  that anymore. Maybe Allen doesn’t even want to go out too much in public with his new Gf since she is some movie celeb herself.

I just can’t help think that  Mcd has just sucked the life out of him.. I don’t know. He (Allen) is my Guy but I agree his demeanor is one of just going through the motions. 
If Mcd is concerned about him and he is not finding the Juice I think he has lost the team..but won’t accept it. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

This little exchange you and UK had was an excellent collection of observations about Allen  I think you describe him, and what else he needs to do, perfectly.   "Mentally obsessed with the game" is exactly right.   It's not enough to think about it and then trust your body.  You've got to know it, inside and out, live it, and when you can do that, then you'll be special.  

And here's the big question about McDermott.   Almost every QB needs a coach who shares his obsession, and the two have to relate.   The coach is the one who stokes and feeds the passion.   Brady without the obsessive Belichick might never have grown to what he became.  Reid is Mahomes' muse.  It can't be the OC, because OCs are going to come and go, so it has to be McDermott.  McDermott and Allen have to be tight for this team to flourish.  If they aren't, then there has to be a new head coach. 

Simply put, at the end of the day, the job of the head coach of the Buffalo Bills is to harness the power that is Josh Allen.   If you can't do that, you aren't the man for the job.  

Agreed, they aren’t, and he isn’t. Enough time has been wasted and McD has proven he isn’t that guy for Allen. The Bills need to try someone else. Sorry Sean, this is as far as you are able to take this team. They have to give someone else the shot who can help Allen get to the next level.

16 minutes ago, DC Greg said:

Agreed, they aren’t, and he isn’t. Enough time has been wasted and McD has proven he isn’t that guy for Allen. The Bills need to try someone else. Sorry Sean, this is as far as you are able to take this team. They have to give someone else the shot who can help Allen get to the next level.

I don't agree that we know that for McDermott.   I think there are people who do know, most importantly Beane and Terry Pegula.   They know what the relationship is like, and I'd expect that Mr. Pegula will be thinking a lot about it for the next few months.   He may do his thinking on his own, he may do it with Beane, but he'll be thinking.   

But he might very well simply say to himself, "I trust Sean.  I decided to go on a journey with Sean, and I'm on it."

• Dislike 1

50 minutes ago, Bimmer323i said:

Did you see him at the end of his presser… He was literally shaking….

Shaking? I don't know, I'm assuming you are being sarcastic or we were watching a totally different presser. It was business as usual for McDermott. 

While he has been at the head of many massive blunders, let's not forget what McDermott has done for this team and us fans. People are too quick to forget. I agree, we may need to move on and get another coach but some of you guys act like he's a bad coach when that is definitely not the case. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Josh misses Cole Beasley and John Brown, before they got old.

The Bills haven’t replaced them. That’s why they’re in this predicament.

Well it could be said Kincaid (as of recently in last few games) has looked pretty good since getting more targets

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

No, he didn't. It's bad when people hate McDermott so much that they will spout off complete nonsense to try to make a point. McDermott and Beane built this team to what it is and has been. Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley did not. I think you know that but also want McDermott gone and won't give him credit for building the team the way he has. The Bills were not an up and coming team when McDermott took over. They were a middling team that was coming off a season that was much like the mediocre seasons they had for 16 seasons. Give me a break

Ya know what, you’re right. I’m still ready to move on from McD but my previous statements were ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, eball said:

Seriously.  And for all of the “McD wanted Josh to stop running and be a pocket passer” nonsense we’ve heard it sure seems as though McD wants to see that “dawg” back in #17.

It’s amazing the opinions people form that they think are truth, when in reality they have no clue…

I would say objectively the offence has been more conservative this year with an emphasis on Josh running less/taking less hits.

You are saying you don’t think McDermott has anything to do with that so far this year?

In baseball they traditionally have a Closer who comes in from the bullpen; and recently they’ve experimented with an Opener who does the same. Is there any chance the Bills could do that with McD? Get a guy who can prepare the team to come out swinging, and another guy who’ll make the strategically correct decisions in crunch time. McD can coach the middle 56 minutes of the game. Problem solved. 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

In baseball they traditionally have a Closer who comes in from the bullpen; and recently they’ve experimented with an Opener who does the same. Is there any chance the Bills could do that with McD? Get a guy who can prepare the team to come out swinging, and another guy who’ll make the strategically correct decisions in crunch time. McD can coach the middle 56 minutes of the game. Problem solved. 😉

I have posted this exact question several times.  Typically mocked.  Another variation, is can we just hire some math genious from Cal Tech, to figure out all of the optimal time out call situations based on score, clock and simply be in charge of clock management.  It is mentally deficient to seemingly "go by gut instinct" in crunch time. 

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Obviously the problem is McKenzie is no longer here.  He is the guy that brought fun.  No more karaoke during practice for these guys.  That and Josh doesn't even do the handshakes anymore :(

We really miss McKittrick on offense. For as much ***** as he got here, we haven't replaced his offensive production (especially first downs) and Sharty has been at best a push as a PR.   But the McKittrick hate runs deep at TBD. I expects lots of eye rolls, dislikes, and disagrees to this post, but I don't care. We wasted lots of cap space on Sharty and Sherfield and got little to nothing in return. 

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.