Leslie Frazier on Dorsey firing, McDermott, Tre'Davious White, and his future

Giuseppe Tognarelli

The most interesting part was when he was asked how he would defend Josh Allen as a DC. He said that if Josh is not running anymore, you can defend him like you would any other QB. 

“If you don’t have to worry about running and making splash plays with his legs then you’re just going to play coverage like teams have been doing,"

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Basically...he feels badly for Dorsey because he's a good friend.  He spoke with him and Dorsey is upbeat.  Says things just just didn't work out.  Optimistic for his future.  Frasier spoke about his own derparture.  He was basically burnt out after all the drama of last season (e.g. Damar).  Spoke with Tre.  He's had his surgery and is rehabbing.  They reminisced about their time together.  He thinks the team can rebound.  He picked the Bills for the Superbowl and has confidence McD can right the ship.

So basically none of the scapegoat crap being posted on this Board by people who choose to read between the lines without actually reading the lines as well.

Altogether a good positive interview.  

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 12

Just now, jkeerie said:

Basically...he feels badly for Dorsey because he's a good friend.  He spoke with him and Dorsey is upbeat.  Says things just just didn't work out.  Optimistic for his future.  Frasier spoke about his own derparture.  He was basically burnt out after all the drama of last season (e.g. Damar).  Spoke with Tre.  He's had his surgery and is rehabbing.  They reminisced about their time together.  He thinks the team can rebound.  He picked the Bills for the Superbowl and has confidence McD can right the ship.

So basically none of the scapegoat crap being posted on this Board by people who choose to read between the lines without actually reading the lines as well.

I'm glad to hear that about Dorsey.

As frustrating as his offense could be, and as much as I think it was the right move - I never like seeing people get fired.  I hope the best for him & his future.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, wppete said:

Can someone summarize this? Thnx

I just read it and didn't find it very interesting.

He talked to Dorsey and said Dorsey is very "up" and he's taking it well; he'll land on his feet.

McDermott has the staff that believes in him and they have the tools to regroup and get things together.

He still claims he took the year off b/c he went through "too much" in his final year and didn't know he could do it again.  Says he does not regret taking the year off and thinking about things, though he does miss the boys.

Kind of a "rah rah" fluff piece IMO.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I just read it and didn't find it very interesting.

He talked to Dorsey and said Dorsey is very "up" and he's taking it well; he'll land on his feet.

McDermott has the staff that believes in him and they have the tools to regroup and get things together.

He still claims he took the year off b/c he went through "too much" in his final year and didn't know he could do it again.  Says he does not regret taking the year off and thinking about things, though he does miss the boys.

Kind of a "rah rah" fluff piece IMO.

Thanks! 👍 

21 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

He said that he chose to step away for a year (rather than being fired) so convincingly I almost believed it.

He did not say nor did he imply that he was being fired!  This Board is unbelievable!

17 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Why do you think he would lie about this?

He wasn't lying.  This is the poster interjecting his own opinion.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

So Frazier is "hurting" for Dorsey but quickly points out the most boneheaded mistake that Dorsey made which was to limit Josh's running which has led to a predictable offense. He might have wanted to tell him that as a friend a few weeks ago. Or maybe he figured that fact was blindingly obvious and McD and Dorsey would figure it out? Of course they didn't and the fans did.

31 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

FYI, Frazier has every reason not to be honest about the reason for his departure.

It looks a lot better to leave a team voluntarily than to be pushed out.

Its workforce politics 101.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

FYI, Frazier has every reason not to be honest about the reason for his departure.

It looks a lot better to leave a team voluntarily than to be pushed out.

Its workforce politics 101.

It also leaves the door open to getting back in the NFL if you don't air out your former employer

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Basically...he feels badly for Dorsey because he's a good friend.  He spoke with him and Dorsey is upbeat.  Says things just just didn't work out.  Optimistic for his future.  Frasier spoke about his own derparture.  He was basically burnt out after all the drama of last season (e.g. Damar).  Spoke with Tre.  He's had his surgery and is rehabbing.  They reminisced about their time together.  He thinks the team can rebound.  He picked the Bills for the Super Bowl and has confidence McD can right the ship.

That’s right, Super Bowl baby!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Save face. Also will help him get another coaching job if he resigned vs being fired for cause IMO. Executives and top leadership at companies and orgs do that all the time.

So much so that “I’m stepping aside to spend more time with family,” for an incompetent executive is a meme.

21 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

He did not say nor did he imply that he was being fired!  This Board is unbelievable!

He wasn't lying.  This is the poster interjecting his own opinion.  

Did I present it as fact? I’m not the only person that thinks Frazier was actually fired.

Edited by DapperCam
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Save face. Also will help him get another coaching job if he resigned vs being fired for cause IMO. Executives and top leadership at companies and orgs do that all the time.

So much so that “I’m stepping aside to spend more time with family,” for an incompetent executive is a meme.

Did I present it as fact? I’m not the only person that thinks Frazier was actually fired.

People were asking if someone would summarize the article.  By inserting "rather than being fired" you implied it was part of the article versus your own opinion ( which you are entitled to. )   

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

The most interesting part was when he was asked how he would defend Josh Allen as a DC. He said that if Josh is not running anymore, you can defend him like you would any other QB. 

“If you don’t have to worry about running and making splash plays with his legs then you’re just going to play coverage like teams have been doing,"

Yep. They need to let him play

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Allen does have one of the strongest arms in the league.  He can likely beat most teams with his arm alone and could become a great pocket passer, but think to do that he has to has to have a much stronger WR group around him, little better protection from the line and a better run game to keep defenses honest, and have a RB that defenses need to worry about, but is also a very strong blocker.

Does make me wonder the was these days league wide, RB's often don't get 2nd contracts, will the ones who start out as weak blockers ever be around long enough to develop good skills as a blocker?

This interview all but confirms what I've been seeing with Josh. We've tried to turn him into a pocket passer. Teams adjusted right away starting with the Jets game.

Josh isn't able to beat the zone, and now we've fired to the OC to "inject some confidence" into the team (read: Josh). 

He's too good to not adjust. We've seen him do it before overcoming accuracy issues. It's just going to take some time. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

The NFL is a right community.  Coaches and players typically don't say bad things about each other apart from trash talking.  

It's also often why they don't see things the way fans and media do.  They're very much in things, it can be difficult for them to see the bigger picture. 

4 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Agree. Also thought that was the most interesting statement, confirming what many of us have been saying. The threat of Josh running is one of his greatest assets. Obviously, some genius in the coaching ranks has practically eliminated that facet of Josh’s game, making it easier for defenses to cover the WRs in the Bills’ unimaginative offensive schemes. 

Leslie is a classy guy.

P.S. As for the discussion about whether he was telling the truth about whether he was fired to make it sound better, the guy already was fired as a HC. Nearly all coaches get fired at some point in their careers. I also don't think people (owners and HCs) care whether McD fired him or not. 

AS above.  It’s clear who wanted josh to change.  We all see the end product;  josh is now a very hesitant runner,that  gives us the final product which is already  2 games worse than last year with playoff teams coming up soon.   Brady cant fix or do much in a short week, and this is just a 7 game stint that is most likely a loss or draw at best for his CV.  No way i take that dump off job if I’m him , but ask to remain as qb coach or just walk. This team has a very deficient d and adding more losses to your cv with this move is just risking further jobs.  

Unless mcd has some miraculous run, which we have no reason to suspect , Brady is just volunteering to share the future blame. Any positive change will be credited to mcd,  so for Brady, imo, it’s a lose/lose  scenario.   It’s not like josh or the o is suddenly going to play their hearts out for a qb coach who , in a way, by accepting this job is also in a passive way, backstabbing Dorsey.  Sometimes you need to be a man and  know when to show loyalty.  After all, he said how much he loved /respected Dorsey.  It is possible to say no, i would prefer to stick with my current contract. Time will tell , but i think it’s a bad career move. I was all for a new oc, but this is desperation and thought the move should happen at season end. 

The writing is on the wall. Unless this dysfunctional group makes the SB, McD  should be gone regardless of injuries.  His defense fails early and late in games. Should they miss the playoffs, what do you do as an owner. Keep accepting regression, esp of your superstar qb?  Keep bringing in  New OC’S yearly?  No, and what can mcd add to josh playing better?  Nothing , based on the proof of regression.  

PEGULA has one sensible move. Roll the dice on a new offensively focused hc to keep growing with your franchise qb , your best hope for a sb , just like most of the successful teams have done. If mcd is still here after not winning a sb this year, you are wasting a premiere qb and buffalo will just keep dreaming about ever winning a Lombardi , right up until josh leaves or retires. Levy just missed winning a SB: McD is not nearly as good a leader as levy and arguably , mcd had very close to the same talent level, yet we have 0 afc championships, let alone 4 in a row. 

McD will not win a sb here ; worst game manager i have seen among coaches that were not total buffoons like Ryan , jauron, etc. The team might rally for a game against the jets , but that’s a low bar. Watch the post bye weeks , and I think that’s when we know what we have after this move.  I believe after the season its time to look for a better fit between HC/QB.  .  

Good luck to our new OC,  but i think there is little he can do on a playmaker deficient , high turnover, currently troubled qb lead offense with  no consistent run scheme ( unless Brady turns to TD Lenny ) team with a really tough schedule ahead.  It’s just an opinion but i have very little faith left with McD., and its based  on watching mcd for almost 7 years now.  

Addendum ; it’s good to know obj was talking with god before the game (his quote, i was talking WITH GOD, saying he heard him talking, not like in prayer , but, I wasn’t there so..) and obj asked god to prove to people he was supposed to play good tonight.  Man i hate creeps like this that cuss out people on a plane , needing police to remove them,  then tonight with cameras on becomes a fraud ,  hiding  behind his “religion”.  Of course , he had to be sure to put on all his jewelry just for the post game interview.  Not a “humble” man .    Never heard him mention his injured teammate , andrews , at any point either, just how to get diamond dental inlays. 

This guy is what’s always been bad /fake about this sport now , compared to when guys played in the 60’s , 70’ s etc. because they loved the game. Fry me all you want as i have seen all i need to over years and this  guy is no one i could ever respect.  I have been around several religious men, none of whom i ever saw act like this clown. Sorry, just saw so many kids cheering for him as FITZ was talking postgame tonight;  pretty sure there are better people to emulate, and i will never understand cheering for this type of “ teammate “. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Peter said:

Leslie is a classy guy.

P.S. As for the discussion about whether he was telling the truth about whether he was fired to make it sound better, the guy already was fired as a HC. Nearly all coaches get fired at some point in their careers. I also don't think people (owners and HCs) care whether McD fired him or not. 

There are only 2 kind of coaches in the NFL. Those that have been fired and those that will be fired.  So not sure he would have to hide it in order to get another job even if he wants one.

5 hours ago, Rat-boy said:

Article is behind a paywall - can someone please post a synopsis? Many thanks.

5 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Just open it in an incognito or private window

Incognito does not always work with Buffalo News Pay gate - it is basically just some cookies so it is not a full Pay Wall.

I keep a second browser which I use for very few things and set it to auto clear cookies including some secondary cookies as well depend on page so just clearing all works better.

5 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

I'm with you.  It was probably an exhausting year.  Lots of truth when he said Josh isn't running so everyone is playing coverage and treating him like a pocket passer.  It changes the looks Josh is throwing against.

Been saying this all year

No need for defenses to spy anymore , adding an extra defender in coverage

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.