Joe Brady - What Do We Expect?

Jukester

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lot of skepticism in here...and its fair skeptcism given the gravity of the situation.

But, look at what a coaching shakeup did for the Raiders...2 straight wins and a completely different intensity and level of fire in the players.  

This offense was flat, had no identity, no consistency, no fire and hasn't been having any fun.  If the change to Brady can breath some renewed life into the players and offense, bring some identity, can bring some creativity and new wrinkles...then he doesn't have to be perfect for there to be a big boost to this team and for the Bills to go on a run.  

And if the offense gets back to being what it should be, this team can still beat anyone in the league.  But with the anemic offense of the past 6 weeks it was also capable of losing to literally any team in the league too.  So lets hope Brady brings the offense back up to where it should be

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or not, but I'm opposite and think there's a decent chance this will be a good thing

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Guys fail as OCs in one place and succeed in another all the time. For one glaring example, see the career arc of Brian Daboll. 

Quality of the starting QB has a big impact. Say what you want about Josh (I still love the guy), but I think we can agree that he's a big upgrade over Bridgewater, Darnold, and late career Newton.

If McDermott sticks his nose into the offense and certain players like Davis and Cook aren't allowed to be assigned properly (Davis less PT, Cook more PT) or certain expectations of a time eating offense must be used then Joe Brady is being set up to fail massively. 

I am not hopeful because McDermott seems to be mismanaging personnel and has alienated Daboll and Frazier... I feel REALLY BAD for Joe Brady.

6 hours ago, boyst said:

would you respect a coach that prepared a replacement while having the original position filled?

honestly, yes. behind closed doors i think its appropriate to have a 'hey, obv things arent going well bfor a team this stacked... there are rumblings of a change from from upper mgmt/owners/fans, you were brought on as a guy with OC experience, please stay focused bring your best work forward and you may have another shot'

i totally get why this can be seen as shady, but i can think of equal reasons its not.  Dorsey didnt exactly light world on fire, we brought in a guy with OC experience in a way that felt not too dissimilar than having a backup QB ready. i dont think youre wrong either, fair point on your end

• Thank you (+1) 1

Help me understand the promotion of Joe Brady.

A Quarterbacks Coach probably helps a QB with their overall preparation and play.

Josh leads the league in turnovers. Turnovers in the form of interceptions thrown and fumbles are not a good thing.

Josh Allen has played poorly the past 6 weeks. Besides Josh the QB Coach probably spends most of their time helping the QB increase their confidence, improve the reading of defenses, and get the most out of their QB.

So, we think the QB coach who is involved in Allen getting worse at his job, who worked under the fired coordinator who sucked at his job, is the most reasonable person to give a promotion to have his hands even more involved with Allen?

Makes sense🤔

Edited by Wizard

7 minutes ago, Wizard said:

A Quarterbacks Coach probably helps a QB with their overall preparation and play.

Josh leads the league in turnovers. Turnovers in the form of interceptions thrown and fumbles are not a good thing.

Josh Allen has played poorly the past 6 weeks. Besides Josh the QB Coach probably spends most of their time helping the QB increase their confidence, improve the reading of defenses, and get the most out of their QB.

So, we think the QB coach who is involved in Allen getting worse at his job, who worked under the fired coordinator who sucked at his job, is the most reasonable person to give a promotion to have his hands even more involved with Allen?

Makes sense🤔

There's no other obvious choice midseason

Has to be someone in the building who can speak the language

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

I expect to see the same offense because its too late to change anything.  I also expect that Joe B does his best to get the guys executing better and taking the stuff that does work and try to keep with that.  How the results turn out, I have no idea.

Why is it too late to change anything? I mean usually when someone gets fired it's because change is needed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Why is it too late to change anything? I mean usually when someone gets fired it's because change is needed. 

Its too difficult to install an entire new offense once the season starts. There is a reason these guys go through training camps.  Thats the time to install offense.  All they can do now is keep the same offense but hopefully form better game plans, execute better, and do a better job of having rhythm in the game.  If Joe does a good job it would be because he was able to identify what in the offense works and what doesn't.  Maybe simplify it down to what they can better execute.

27 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Makes sense🤔

Would you want McD taking over the playcalling duties on offense too?  The OL coach?

Who else do you want?  Bring in Norv Turner to change the system at Thanksgiving?

Ben Johnson ain't coming over midseason.

8 hours ago, Jukester said:

Any insight on his philosophy, coahing style, etc... welcome.  Or is he just going to be a McD puppet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Brady_(American_football_coach)

Coaching career

New Orleans Saints

In 2017, Brady was hired by the New Orleans Saints as an offensive assistant under head coach Sean Payton.

LSU

In 2019, Brady joined head coach Ed Orgeron and the LSU Tigers as their passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach.[1][2] Recognized as the top assistant coach during the 2019 college football season, Brady was honored with the 24th annual Broyles Award.[5] Subsequently, he emerged as a leading candidate for numerous offensive coordinator vacancies in the NFL,[6][7] but eventually agreed to a three-year contract extension with LSU.[8]

Carolina Panthers

On January 16, 2020, Brady was hired by the Carolina Panthers as their offensive coordinator under head coach Matt Rhule.[9] The Panthers were selected to coach in the 2021 Senior Bowl, but Brady missed the game due to COVID-19 protocols.[10] On December 5, 2021, Brady was fired by the Panthers.[11]

Buffalo Bills

On February 4, 2022, Brady was hired by the Buffalo Bills as their quarterbacks coach, replacing Ken Dorsey after his promotion to offensive coordinator. After Dorsey's mid-season firing in the 2023 season, Brady was promoted to interim offensive coordinator.[12]

Based on his time in Carolina I don't expect much.

Also, we hired the QB Coach who was at the helm during a massive regression by...the QB.  I can't wait to see what's next.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Its too difficult to install an entire new offense once the season starts. There is a reason these guys go through training camps.  Thats the time to install offense.  All they can do now is keep the same offense but hopefully form better game plans, execute better, and do a better job of having rhythm in the game.  If Joe does a good job it would be because he was able to identify what in the offense works and what doesn't.  Maybe simplify it down to what they can better execute.

I mean I don't expect an entire new offense obviously. You said too late to change "anything" which is what I was referring to. 

19 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

I hate to say I hope we tank, which shouldn’t be hard given the balance of the schedule.  I want McD gone, & hopefully we target Johnson at Detroit.

We need a clean sweep and a fresh start. 

The way I see it, this is actually falling into place quite well. Joe Brady and McD have 7 games to keep their jobs.

They fail, we can reset and hire Johnson. He declined HC interviews last year with the dogwater organizations, but nothing screams continued success like a franchise QB.

They succeed, we can still reset or give them another year. And same thing as above.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I mean I don't expect an entire new offense obviously. You said too late to change "anything" which is what I was referring to. 

Yeah what I meant by that is that they can't change the playbook.  All they can do is the things I said above.  Its largely going to be the same offense.

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah what I meant by that is that they can't change the playbook.  All they can do is the things I said above.  Its largely going to be the same offense.

They can change certain plays and install some ideas he may have. You're not going to fire someone to keep things the same. There will be (or should be) some changes

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Based on his time in Carolina I don't expect much.

Also, we hired the QB Coach who was at the helm during a massive regression by...the QB.  I can't wait to see what's next.

Low expectations are probably a good thing at this point.  Mine are somewhat higher than they would have been if no change had been made…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Analysis: Five plays that explain why Matt Rhule and the Panthers fired Joe Brady

"Simply put, the Panthers’ runs do not resemble their dropback game, which makes dissecting post-snaps plays easier for defenders. Brady’s designs did not put the Panthers in enough advantageous situations either. Instead, he repeatedly asked receivers to win their respective matchup rather than scheming them open. Deceitful tools like play-action throws were a limited part of his offense as well."

I hope you don't expect too much.

When you have Joe Burrow, Ja'Maar Chase and Justin Jefferson at LSU, you don't have to be a scheme genius I suppose.

• Like (+1) 1

I have no expectations. I expect this to be a temporary situation until they try to land the right person. 

It might be cool to get a chance to step into that role. The only option the guy has is to lean on what is already established is not working.

There is no longevity realistically.  You go in and do your best to call plays because chances are we are not going into next season with this dude at OC.

The guy isn't really going to get the chance to get the full experience just a taste of it. If the situation was different I would have expectations. 

The hope is that things tighten up but it looks like the team is not militant about football.  

Edited by Lfod

52 minutes ago, QCity said:

Analysis: Five plays that explain why Matt Rhule and the Panthers fired Joe Brady

"Simply put, the Panthers’ runs do not resemble their dropback game, which makes dissecting post-snaps plays easier for defenders. Brady’s designs did not put the Panthers in enough advantageous situations either. Instead, he repeatedly asked receivers to win their respective matchup rather than scheming them open. Deceitful tools like play-action throws were a limited part of his offense as well."

When you have Joe Burrow, Ja'Maar Chase and Justin Jefferson at LSU, you don't have to be a scheme genius I suppose.

sounds exactly like what we were running w Dorsey

1 hour ago, QCity said:

He may have learned from this experience and been humbled.  There was nothing pointing to Daboll being able to run a high flying pass offense when he got to the Bills, he had mediocre success at best in the NFL prior to working with Allen. 

Edited by Bruffalo

9 hours ago, beer can shower said:

Is this the same Joe Brady, Bills Quarterback Coach?

Is this the same Joe Brady that you never saw sitting with Allen on the bench? 

Is this the same Joe Brady that let Allen sit and stare into space instead of grabbing a tablet?

Is this the same Joe Brady that never got on His Quarterback for ignoring Dorsey's called plays and going rogue?

If Allen did not respect Joe Brady's position on the sidelines,  does anyone think he will when they move him up to the press box?

Is this the same Joe Brady that came from CAROLINA?

Does McDermott realize there are other Teams to draw from other than CAROLINA?

image.png.fa3ab62b0ce9ba85b7d787c6ef3a3e63.png

10 hours ago, Nuncha said:

I don't think it could get much worse, but maybe it can?

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in my years on this planet, it’s that it can always be worse.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QCity said:

The Office Reaction GIF

That sounds exactly like Dorsey’s offense. 

2 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

They can change certain plays and install some ideas he may have. You're not going to fire someone to keep things the same. There will be (or should be) some changes

I guess you aren’t getting what I am saying. Of course they will be changes. Fundamentally it will be the same offense. What they use from that offense might differ. Play calls, game plan will naturally be different because different people see different things and have their own spin or what they think is right. Expecting the 49ers offense or Philly offense or Joe Brady to install his own entire system is what isn’t going to happen. 

41 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I expect at least 2 turnovers by Allen.  He is elite in that department.   

Yeah I have been getting sh*t from a friend who's a Viking fan because each week I got a over/under how many INTs Cousins would throw bet going with some others. Now he's doing it with Allen lol

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I guess you aren’t getting what I am saying. Of course they will be changes. Fundamentally it will be the same offense. What they use from that offense might differ. Play calls, game plan will naturally be different because different people see different things and have their own spin or what they think is right. Expecting the 49ers offense or Philly offense or Joe Brady to install his own entire system is what isn’t going to happen. 

I don't think there's anyone expecting an entire new system change. 

I don’t think he is the permanent Buffalo Bills OC because I don’t see the Bills winning more than two games the rest of this season. I think major roster changes are coming unfortunately the Bills are going to potentially trade Stefon Diggs in the offseason which I think is a major mistake. But Sean McDermott seems to be running the Bills show right now and he is going to get rid any of the players that question and challenge his leadership decisions this offseason in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.