DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

1 minute ago, Comebackkid said:

My only question is what does Joe Brady bring along with this losing record from Carolina over Dorsey

I have no idea.  If he finds "it" from his LSU days, cool.  If not, then McD will be gone, and we can start over with a better coaching staff.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

I'm surprised, honestly. Figured it'd be after the season if anything. 

Everyone griping about McDermott, I get it but his defense has still played well despite all the injuries. That's gonna get him a mulligan if it keeps up for the rest of the season. 

Except that he is the HC and responsible for all of it.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Necessary move. But I hope Allen takes it hard.

Could go two ways - it could light a fire in a Josh and, helped by better play calling by Brady, the offense gets back on track. Or it could get in his head more that he helped get his OC fired, and he becomes even more hesitant and uncertain.

With this move, they still don't have someone in the QB room who is able to get Josh out of slumps. Brady clearly isn't the guy, otherwise we would have seen improvements already.

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

The reality is the special team coach should fired and our punter cut,  they have been terrible all season and killing us in field position.  Bring back Matt Araiza  for the remainder of the season as a tryout for next season.

There’s a reason Araiza ain’t on a team now 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, stuvian said:

Not sure this is the change we need. What about our non-existent pass rush and 12 men on the field ST debacle on national TV?

the pass rush has been ok actually. Teams are struggling to consistently pressure. Just look at how teams struggle to pressure Allen and we have literally don’t have a single 1st round pick on the OLine. It’s not McDermotts fault that injuries have hugely debilitated his two most talented pass rushers in Groot and Von Miller 

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

1. Leslie Frazier is essentially fired.

2. Ken Dorsey is fired.

3. ?

The Emperor McDermott has no clothes. Stop blaming Josh for a massive systemic failure of leadership that rests at the feet of the Emperor.

Haha you've come around now? I think it was just a couple of weeks ago we were debating about this. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

1. Leslie Frazier is essentially fired.

2. Ken Dorsey is fired.

3. ?

The Emperor McDermott has no clothes. Stop blaming Josh for a massive systemic failure of leadership that rests at the feet of the Emperor.

Right.  McD has nothing to hide behind if the season continues like it has.  The team, especially Josh and the offense, look like they hate playing.  If McD can't get them energized and having fun, then he needs to get the boot too. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, goldenboy81 said:

Let's gooooo.. seasons back on

No.  It’s not.  We’re cooked unless we go on a heater.  And that ain’t happening with this malaise-ridden group.  

The big fear that I have is that the locker room processes this, realizes that Dorsey probably was in over his head (Diggs certainly thinks so), and then wonders why the OC gets canned after leaving the field with a lead in a game blown by a stupid, simple, nonsensical, self-inflicted, easily avoidable error traceable to coaching.  And then the question becomes why is that guy getting scapegoated and McD isn’t held responsible for anything.   This is a risky, risky move, and if we have another gaffe-filled game like last night, I wonder if McD loses the room (to the extent he hasn’t already). 

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Or it could have come from Terry. He knows he needs a good team going into the new stadium with the prices he is going to charge. The new stadium will buy him a year as everyone will be curious to see the place. Once the novelty of the new stadium wears off then there will be empty seats all over the place for a bad team at those prices. This is also why I think McDermott is under pressure to turn it around now.

Needs to fill the new stadium.  Once they sell the PSL’s, all bets are off.  I hate to say that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Needed a change but that is so predictable by McDermott. Throws his coaches under the bus. How bout firing yourself Sean after that all out blitz on 3rd down. This whole thing is unraveling

It's never his fault. At least that's what he and his apologists will tell you. 

It's all on his coordinators that keep letting him down. The ones he hired, mind you. 

He doesn't run the offense, defense, or special teams or have any input on any of them. He's a project manager. Completely infallible and no accountability should be placed on him for anything. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Except that he is the HC a responsible for all of it.  

His responsibility this season is to own the defense, and give Dorsey general principles of what the offense should be. 

Clearly, Dorsey hasn’t delivered on thag inspite of all the excellent metrics 

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Everyone griping about McDermott, I get it but his defense has still played well despite all the injuries. That's gonna get him a mulligan if it keeps up for the rest of the season. 

He's the head coach not the Defensive coordinator.  (I realize he's trying to do both)

He need's to focus on being the HC because he's failing at that.

7 minutes ago, LEBills said:

It’s the only real move they had. Give Joe Brady an audition to see if he can save the train wreck. Hopefully Pegula is up for big changes this offseason if the season continues it’s descent into the toilet

It’s both a reasonable move and desperate.  If this backfires I question whether McD can recover. 

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It's never his fault. At least that's what he and his apologists will tell you. 

It's all on his coordinators that keep letting him down. The ones he hired, mind you. 

He doesn't run the offense, defense, or special teams or have any input on any of them. He's a project manager. Completely infallible and no accountability should be placed on him for anything. 

Firing your hand picked OC is essentially taking ownership of a mistake. Whose job is it to evaluate the talent of your assistant coaches and coordinators? The head coach 

Just now, davefan66 said:

Needs to fill the new stadium.  Once they sell the PSL’s, all bets are off.  I hate to say that.

All the more reason he needs a good team. The Bills are probably going to ask fans to put a deposit down on PSL's either in 2024 or definitely by 2025. The Jets and Giants did a year before MetLife opened and I would imagine the Bills will do the same.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, appoo said:

Yeah, right, as if Brady will be able to make calls without deferring to McDermott. Expect slow tempo and drawn out drives to continue (providing the players don't fumble, drop or throw interceptions) to eat up TOP.

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Right.  McD has nothing to hide behind if the season continues like it has.  The team, especially Josh and the offense, look like they hate playing.  If McD can't get them energized and having fun, then he needs to get the boot too. 

He's running out of scapegoats. Not saying that letting these people go was not justified but he is next in line for 'the blame game'. Put up or shut up, McDummy.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Real McNasty said:

O game plan was actually pretty solid last night.

Add in the dropped passes too

In a way, yes. But the big question last night was why we didn't attack more with the running game when we could see how successful it was. We seemed to only do it when we really needed a score. 

When do you see teams doing that against us? Going away from what's working in that game for long periods of time? 

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Wasn’t Joe Brady very pass heavy with Sam Darnold as his QB and CMC as his RB? And didn’t the Panthers offense get better when he was fired and Ben McAdoo took over? 

Someone please correct me if I’m mistaken here. 

Pass heavy and Darnold a really BAD combination.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Dorsey deserved the season.  This was a panic move.

I don't understand this take at all.  There's pretty much universal consensus from football x's and o's guys that the offense didn't make a whole lot of sense.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Then he should be a DC not HC. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.