Josh Allen Fined for the Taunting Penalty

Scott7975

I understand that it’s part of the CBA but that it was called at all, along with the intentional grounding and no calls on the trip/kick on Kincaid and on the facemask on Davis is total garbage. I’m not a conspiracy guy at all, but it sure seems like the Bills, along with some other teams get shafted by the league way more often than some of “their” favorites. I know it sounds like a homer attitude, but it happens way too often to go unnoticed. I also can’t believe that the officiating crews aren’t called on the carpet more often and disciplined by the league, especially in such a large money making endeavor. The inconsistency from game-to-game, team-to-team is frustratingly insane.

Several year ago the Bills were playing the Broncos.  It was late in the game and the Bills were clinging to a lead.  Tyrod Taylor was knocked down during a play, either a sack or just contact I don't remember, and Von Miller reached down to Taylor as if to give him a hand up.  Taylor reached up but Miller pulled his hand back, ha ha ha.  Almost unbelievably, Miller got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty.  That helped the Bills keep the ball and run out the clock on the win.

Afterward, Miller was a total professional.  He took responsibility.  He said he should have known better, as a veteran leader on his team.  No criticism of the refs or the call.  (I doubt the Broncos fan base was so calm about it, though.)

As far as I know, Allen hasn't made any comment about the finger pointing penalty.  No comment is good (any complaint would seem childish) but it would be even better if he took a page out of Miller's playbook, and said "I'm a veteran leader of this team and I should have known better."

31 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

I understand that it’s part of the CBA but that it was called at all, along with the intentional grounding and no calls on the trip/kick on Kincaid and on the facemask on Davis is total garbage. I’m not a conspiracy guy at all, but it sure seems like the Bills, along with some other teams get shafted by the league way more often than some of “their” favorites. I know it sounds like a homer attitude, but it happens way too often to go unnoticed. I also can’t believe that the officiating crews aren’t called on the carpet more often and disciplined by the league, especially in such a large money making endeavor. The inconsistency from game-to-game, team-to-team is frustratingly insane.

So it is, so it has been, and so it shall ever be.  Particularly now that the league is in bed with the betting world.

59 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

the League is a joke. 

At this phase in life if it wasn't for the Bills I wouldn't even watch this product anymore. 

Yeah, you would.  As would almost all of us.  The NFL's betting that the fan disgust level can keep going up forever and they still won't lose a significant number of fans.  Tell the truth.  If you're watching a game not involving the Bills, and the refs pull one of their magic game-altering penalties, your reaction like mine is, wow that's a bad call now let's watch the next play.  It's only when the Bills are involved that we really lose it.

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

This season 17s total $$$ is around 18.6 mil.

Conservatively let’s say he sees half of that (9 mil). An 11k fine would then roughly impact his finances similar to how a $60 ticket would effect someone who takes home 50k.

Regardless of how you feel about the call, I always find it bizarre how offended some people get that the millionaires must pay pocket change for on field incidents (one that he was completely in control of). 

Im sure Allen cares less about the fine than many fans

A $60 ticket for someone scraping by on $50K is much more impactful penalty.  Allen is so far from needing to worry about making the rent or the electric bill that almost any fine is just annoying.  So I think you're right, that Allen cares less about the fine than many fans do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

the League is a joke. 

At this phase in life if it wasn't for the Bills I wouldn't even watch this product anymore. 

I’m not far behind you. The London “experiment” kinda put me over the edge. “Home game” my arse! That affects the quality and equity of the competition. Inexcusable. Our home games are played in Orchard Park (on decent turf), not the Jags second home with 70% Jags fans. 

EDIT: I have been to road games where Bills fans DID take over places like Nashville and Jacksonville. I think London may have more Jags fans than Jacksonville, at least the last time I was there. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’m not far behind you. The London “experiment” kinda put me over the edge. “Home game” my arse! That affects the quality and equity of the competition. Inexcusable. Our home games are played in Orchard Park (on decent turf), not the Jags second home with 70% Jags fans. 

I also hate the London games but did you watch it? It was at least 70% Bills fans. Probably more than that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

ba4e23a5d94df40a236bb6253eba89fc.jpg

Three’s company embodies the 70’s.  I remember Don Knott’s was Ralph Ferly, but I forgot what this landlord’s name.  Too funny.

Its funny as Larry in that show who was a stupid character, but in his elderly years has been a judge more times than I can count on Blur Bloods, Law and Order, and so on.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

100% agree on the London BS. That stupid experiment alone ravaged our D with injuries "at home" and might have killed or season. Crap like that and league officials incompetence, gets worse every year has me at the brink.  

7 minutes ago, MPT said:

I also hate the London games but did you watch it? It was at least 70% Bills fans. Probably more than that.

I was there. You saw Bills gear all over the city, but the Jags have been playing there since 2013. I heard unconfirmed estimates that the Bills had 20-25k fans come over. The rest of the stadium was very loud and mostly pro-Jags. 

18 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Three’s company embodies the 70’s.  I remember Don Knott’s was Ralph Ferly, but I forgot what this landlord’s name.  Too funny.

Its funny as Larry in that show who was a stupid character, but in his elderly years has been a judge more times than I can count on Blur Bloods, Law and Order, and so on.

Stanley Roper.

Even got a spin off after Three's Company called "The Roper's"

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

Stanley Roper.

Even got a spin off after Three's Company called "The Roper's"

I remember his wife with that crazy red curly hair.  That was bad tv.  At least Welcome Back Kotter was funny.  At least we had All in the Family and MASH.

It’s crazy almost all of the MASH actors are dead.  Alan Alda os one of the last.

Thanks as always Pony Boy.  Stay Golden.  Yeah, I know the reference.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Tuco said:

A lot of people seem to think the NFL just dishes out fines without them making sense. And it does appear that way. But there's a schedule they follow that's all agreed to in the CBA. And that's why sometimes some fines which seem for worse offenses are for less money.

The agreed to amount for the first offense for taunting is $10,000. Then all fines are increased by a certain percentage each year of the CBA. So this year the first offense taunting fine is $10,927. That's where Josh's fine amount comes from.

So okay, we look at that and say, hey last week Adam Gotsis from Jacksonville was only fined $7,167 for roughing the passer. That just seems stupid. The NFL is whack we say.

Well, there's a reason for it. The first offense fine for roughing the passer is $15,000. That's $5,000 more than the taunting penalty - and most would agree rightly so. So how come Gotsis was only fined $7,167? Well, the CBA also has other stipulations that recognize the fact that some players make a lot more money than others. So they have a caveat at the bottom of the schedule for fines that says, "No first offense may result in the imposition of a baseline fine in excess of 10% of a player’s Salary Cap Count for the game."

So there you have it. Gotsis's more egregious foul is reduced to less of a fine than Josh's because Gotsis's salary cap for the season is $1,315,000. Divided by 18 weeks that makes his salary cap figure for the game $73,055. This is using Spotrac, so it's likely not exact. But you get the idea. Using the parameters agreed to by the NFL and the NFLPA, Gotsis's fine is only$7,167 - the maximum 10% of his weekly salary cap figure.

Is this how it should be? Debatable I suppose. Is it fair? Again, debatable. But it is the way it's supposed to be according to the agreed upon rules. The point being, the league doesn't just pull numbers out of its hat willy nilly when imposing fines - regardless of what many people (including the original article author from NFL Analysis Network) seem to think.

This is a great explanation, thanks.  But the fact that (leaving aside percentage of salary) taunting is a 10K fine and RTP is 15K…. That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

15 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Re the taunting by JA: Just another example of a poorly coached team.

Maybe… More likely an example of an undisciplined team leader… Even at his age, we forget sometimes Josh plays more like an excited kid than serious man… He is still learning.

15 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

He can't because in NFL wisdom, two taunting penalties or a taunting penalty and another personal foul is a game ejection.

WEll that just means he can only run in one TD per game he just has to have the rest as passing TDs. Let each receiver point  when they score so just spread the ball out to different receivers to max the pointing.  

Edited by AuntieEm

3 hours ago, Sestak4ever said:

Lots of sites grade NFL teams often without true knowledge.

Why no sites to grade referees.

50 minutes ago, Believer said:

Maybe… More likely an example of an undisciplined team leader… Even at his age, we forget sometimes Josh plays more like an excited kid than serious man… He is still learning.

This take is a little too much “get off my lawn” for me. Brady taunted guys until the day he retired, did he still have learning to do? Everyone is down in the team so everyone is looking for things they can nitpick about them. 

im fine with it because he’s on the Bills, probably would’ve been really bothered by it if I wasn’t a Bills fan 🤷‍♂️

17 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

How do you attribute Josh’s behavior to the coaches versus his own instincts and actions on the play?  If your kid does something to get in trouble, is it automatically the parents’ fault?

i think he just wants some kind of Bobby Knight lunatic for HC.   Ditka, Belechick, a crazy disconnected nut like that to coach 20-somethings.  good luck with that

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I mean that makes sense.   Double what the cheap shot was that caused Hyde to be out this week.  ***** this league 

Allen also complained about calls in the later pressers by talking about the grounding.   It’s well known the NFL fines and doesn’t tolerate talking about refs/ calls later.  Appropriately, haven’t heard him complaining about the fine , as I’m sure he can afford it if he keeps choosing to whine about calls. He ie becoming the Jason TATUm (Celtics star who complains of non calls almost every possession ,and has often given up fast break buckets while standing and complaining) of the BILLS. Just focus more on what you can control.  In addition, i find  it pretty ironic that  the team captain , qb, was NOT the guy calling an offensive players only meeting; maybe he knows not to throw stones if you live in a glass house. Just saying, he is playing ok, but he is just as an important part of the losses as he is a part of the wins.  

Sorry, not sorry, but it just  seems desperate when a guy B’s about so many calls , and  at times he over acts so much , it’s like he was trained by soccer players to embellish calls.  Maybe turning to the refs begging for a call after every other hit and crying wolf so much results in not getting calls that ARE justified. It’s just a cheap tactic, so MAYBE stop looking for flags, read progressions better and maybe all the ints start disappearing.

Maybe it’s me , but I don’t remember guys like Kelly, elway, or Marino always turning to the refs  begging for calls.   It was a tougher time to play, and Perhaps because their offenses could get first downs and score without needing  ref help?   Qb protection has gotten to the point of absurdity. ( btw , don’t look now but the Texans are leading the bengals at half 10-7 ,STROUD w almost 200yds passing against the D  we put up only 7 going into the 4th quarter,  and we were never really challenging in that game despite the final score. Texans look to have great team speed and Cincy’s tight ends aren’t controlling the game like they did against our lb corp.  The issues aren’t just offensive , as the d has  fallen off at every level.   Throw in Minnesota playing great offense w Hobbs , and you wonder why our offense is “too complex “ for a guy like Hines to get snaps a year ago ; our team is in full meltdown) 

Love the BILLS , but not a fan of excuses for everything now that we are losing , mostly by playing inconsistent, mistake , penalty prone football. Hold the complaining about calls cuz other teams seem to overcome things.  Hey , injuries ARE important too , just compare the colts giving up 6 to the pats today compared to our d giving up 29 and the game winning  drive to a qb who was benched again today.  This team has many issues ( as the Texans go up 20-7 in Cincy as motor ram one in ) and I’m very skeptical any player only meeting turns this around. Even Nate burleson picked the broncos in tomorrows game, wow, just seems like a down year!   How can coaching at all levels not be an issue if the bills miss the playoffs?  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Tuco said:

A lot of people seem to think the NFL just dishes out fines without them making sense. And it does appear that way. But there's a schedule they follow that's all agreed to in the CBA. And that's why sometimes some fines which seem for worse offenses are for less money.

The agreed to amount for the first offense for taunting is $10,000. Then all fines are increased by a certain percentage each year of the CBA. So this year the first offense taunting fine is $10,927. That's where Josh's fine amount comes from.

So okay, we look at that and say, hey last week Adam Gotsis from Jacksonville was only fined $7,167 for roughing the passer. That just seems stupid. The NFL is whack we say.

Well, there's a reason for it. The first offense fine for roughing the passer is $15,000. That's $5,000 more than the taunting penalty - and most would agree rightly so. So how come Gotsis was only fined $7,167? Well, the CBA also has other stipulations that recognize the fact that some players make a lot more money than others. So they have a caveat at the bottom of the schedule for fines that says, "No first offense may result in the imposition of a baseline fine in excess of 10% of a player’s Salary Cap Count for the game."

So there you have it. Gotsis's more egregious foul is reduced to less of a fine than Josh's because Gotsis's salary cap for the season is $1,315,000. Divided by 18 weeks that makes his salary cap figure for the game $73,055. This is using Spotrac, so it's likely not exact. But you get the idea. Using the parameters agreed to by the NFL and the NFLPA, Gotsis's fine is only$7,167 - the maximum 10% of his weekly salary cap figure.

Is this how it should be? Debatable I suppose. Is it fair? Again, debatable. But it is the way it's supposed to be according to the agreed upon rules. The point being, the league doesn't just pull numbers out of its hat willy nilly when imposing fines - regardless of what many people (including the original article author from NFL Analysis Network) seem to think.

Good analysis and thanks.

Still has got to be the weakest taunting penalty I have ever seen.

Now when Allen t-bagged and spun the ball on top of the defender lying on the turf in the end zone after scoring a year or so ago, that one I understood.😁

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

i think he just wants some kind of Bobby Knight lunatic for HC.   Ditka, Belechick, a crazy disconnected nut like that to coach 20-somethings.  good luck with that

Well and the funny thing is, McD comes off as more of a hard ass coach.  One of my basketball coaches in high school was a Bobby Knight fanatic.  If someone took a shot that was outside of the offense and made it, he was the kind of guy that would say “good thing you made that.”  And I’m pretty sure we’ve heard Sean say the same about Josh at points too.  Some guys just get a little more leash than others, bc of who they are and the fact he is also scoring a TD on that play.

9 hours ago, BRH said:

This is a great explanation, thanks.  But the fact that (leaving aside percentage of salary) taunting is a 10K fine and RTP is 15K…. That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

I agree. I just wanted to point out that people think it's just the NFL and their weird policies. Those numbers which seem senseless are agreed upon by the league and players.

9 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Still working out the logistics of a double finger gun while holding the ball. 

joke    [ johk ]

noun

1. something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act:He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him.

2. something that is amusing or ridiculous, especially because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham

On 11/11/2023 at 11:02 PM, Tuco said:

I appreciate the explanation for the amount of the fines, but doesn't the NFL have the discretion to waive fines, if they deem that the flagged offense is not worthy of a fine?  

Clearly, the NFL can impose fines on plays on which no penalty was called (e.g. the cheap shot by Volson on Hyde).  Along those same lines, did the NFL deem Taylor-Britt's slide tackle on Kincaid to be a clean play?  

2 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I appreciate the explanation for the amount of the fines, but doesn't the NFL have the discretion to waive fines, if they deem that the flagged offense is not worthy of a fine?  

Clearly, the NFL can impose fines on plays on which no penalty was called (e.g. the cheap shot by Volson on Hyde).  Along those same lines, did the NFL deem Taylor-Britt's slide tackle on Kincaid to be a clean play?  

I don't know if they can waive them. There is some more language that allows them to increase or decrease a fine by 20% depending on if it was egregious or more incidental.

On 11/11/2023 at 9:24 PM, Dablitzkrieg said:

I mean that makes sense.   Double what the cheap shot was that caused Hyde to be out this week.  ***** this league 

This has been the WORST season of officiating I have ever seen in all the years I have watched the NFL.  Intentional grounding and roughing the passer calls are NOT called fairly or consistently, just to mention a few.

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.