Bills sign DT Linval Joseph---Elam to IR

Process

Just now, Augie said:

Serious question: why is he available? 

Because some older players have been waiting until mid-season to join a contender when they need help rather than being stuck on a crap team and having to go thru training camps and all the other stuff.  It's a win-win for both players and teams.  This seems to be a new phenomenon taking place over the past few years.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I am listening to WGR right now and Joseph started out snapping Jordan Davis, their 1st round pick from the year earlier.  Joseph played 40% of the snaps.

This dude is a beast in the middle of the line.  

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Because some older players have been waiting until mid-season to join a contender when they need help rather than being stuck on a crap team and having to go thru training camps and all the other stuff.  It's a win-win for both players and teams.  This seems to be a new phenomenon taking place over the past few years.

No complaints here. 

25 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Seems to be a new strategy the last few years with older players where they wait until mid season and then sign with a contender to try and win a SB rather than go to a crap team for the whole year in FA.

Seems like a no brainer. He's probably already got plenty of money... Don't need the full year's salary. Don't need the wear and tear on the body. 

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Reports from last week is Puna Ford also was a stud vs TB, so hopefully he is turning the corner as well. 

Yes, the Bills DL did a very nice job containing White and the Bucs' rushing attack (which is admittedly poor to begin with). Where they struggled against White (and other teams' RBs as well) is in the screen pass game.

Edited by 2003Contenders
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yes, because the winningest team in the NFL since 2020 hasn't been any of those things already.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Go ask the Jets and Giants how ticket sales went going from Giants Stadium to MetLife. Granted both teams sucked but they both had a huge season ticket waiting list and pissed thru that very quickly. Now both teams advertise season and individual tickets. That is a far cry when they both had 78,000 season tickets holders and a waiting list in the thousands. If didn't work in the NYC area imagine what it will be like in Buffalo.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am listening to WGR right now and Joseph started out snapping Jordan Davis, their 1st round pick from the year earlier.  Joseph played 40% of the snaps.

Yeah the Eagles brought him and Suh in because Davis wasn't getting it done last year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I see people saying "hes just a DT, just needs to occupy space, should be able to play as long as he comes in shape"...

I HOPE he plays Sunday, same with Douglas, but im not optimistic on either.

Being in shape and being in NFL football shape are way different. Assuming hes been lifting/running/taking care of himself, that is a long way from the physicality of an NFL game. Even if he only plays 15 snaps or so. I'd hate, and I am sure the bills staff is thinking about this, to lose our 3.7 million dollar "fix" at DT because we rushed him onto the field. 

This guy has averaged close to 15 games a year over a full decade. He is not an injury risk.

He also has a reputation as a workout rat and is probably in very good shape and ready to go.

I get your concern about being in "football" shape, but this is an enormous game and I expect we'll see 15-20 good snaps out of him Sunday.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Simon said:

This guy has averaged close to 15 games a year over a full decade. He is not an injury risk.

He also has a reputation as a workout rat and is probably in very good shape and ready to go.

I get your concern about being in "football" shape, but this is an enormous game and I expect we'll see 15-20 good snaps out of him Sunday.

I expect him to play Sunday.  I don't think the responsibility of NT are much different from team to team.  Just don't get moved.

Absolutely love the signing.

I wonder two things:

First, which DT goes back to the inactive list each week, assuming they don't suit up five of them. Is it Ford again? If so....the Ford signing was not great. Though I suppose for them to even NEED to sign Joseph, the Ford signing ALREADY wasn't looking great.

Second, is there any chance at all that Daquon Jones can come back by playoff time? An early down interior line of Joseph and Jones would be beastly to try to run against.

The Bills defense got a lot better this week. Rasul Douglas and Linval Joseph will help that side of the ball IMMENSELY, and neither will break the bank. Well done, Beane.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I expect him to play Sunday.  I don't think the responsibility of NT are much different from team to team.  Just don't get moved.

Exactly.  I'm sure they will add more to his plate as he starts practicing but for this weekend his job is just what you said.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Just looked it up. He averaged just under 40% in his 8 regular season games. Then about 20% of snaps in their 3 post season games, including the Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Because (exactly like last year) he's one of these guys who hates training camp and wants to sign later in the year to the highest bidder among the best teams.

Yep, he's 35 and an active father too. Good on him, he gets a longer offseason to be with his family, can avoid wear and tear and we get him fresh. Win-win.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NUT said:

Gee more defense.

Yeah this time more circumstance than choice though, IMO.

The few bad teams that had impactful offensive pieces that lined up for trades had circumstances change over the last couple weeks and then decided they weren't ready to give up on their seasons or wanted to keep their weapons for their next QB.    

That was a tough break for the Bills because it's not every year when you have very talented veteran WR's in bad situations with league minimum type cap hits like Adams and Hopkins while you have a cap-strapped contending team.   

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Go ask the Jets and Giants how ticket sales went going from Giants Stadium to MetLife. Granted both teams sucked but they both had a huge season ticket waiting list and pissed thru that very quickly. Now both teams advertise season and individual tickets. That is a far cry when they both had 78,000 season tickets holders and a waiting list in the thousands. If didn't work in the NYC area imagine what it will be like in Buffalo.

PSL's are the devil.

They are the ultimate insult to fans and shows that owners have zero respect for fans.  Its their way of rigging the system to make sure they have sell outs way in advance.  

Places like Dallas and NY have enormous business communities that have picked up the slack where fans didn't buy them they did.  Dallas ticket holders are about 50% or more ticket brokers and most do not live in the area.  The jones family doesn't care they have sellouts on the books may 1st.  Plus they make a little on the secondary market since they have deals with seat geek.  

Smaller markets with almost no big business community will struggle selling all their psl's.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

No doubt to all of the above. I hope like hell he plays...we need those 15-20 snaps. I'm just doubting it based on "couch to football shape" and our cautious nature as an organization in general. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Hard to believe the answer is a street free agent. Stranger things have happened. I'll wait to see how he plays. 🤞

Not really.  It was his choice and this is what he planned, just like last year.

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

No doubt to all of the above. I hope like hell he plays...we need those 15-20 snaps. I'm just doubting it based on "couch to football shape" and our cautious nature as an organization in general. 

I hear ya', but I don't believe for a second that this dude has been sitting on the couch.

Aside from his positive reputation, I also don't think Beane gives him the time of day if he's not ready to roll right now.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Backup for Reid Ferguson the long snapper!  :image.png.7cab28bb83ffa70cd8654d15dcf20acf.png

I am only joking but considering some the pressure we have had on FGs if he could it would be a good idea. 

49 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Hey he was pretty solid player wonder why he went unsigned probably just his age as he did play a lot for the eagles down the stretch last year 

PFF Overall by Year:

2010: 53.5 

2011: 62.3

2012: 71.6

2013: 73.4

2014: 70.9

2015: 90.9

2016: 80.1

2017: 90.0

2018: 72.2

2019: 71.2

2020: 68.7 

2021: 63.4

2022: 58.9

So, a standard curve where playing time and effectiveness increased from age-22, peaked at 27, 28, 29, and began to steadily drop, steeper from 32-34 years old. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.