Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

• Simon pinned this topic
3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I'm actually comfortable making it as a wild-card this season.  

Takes the pressure off, and gets rid of this notion that we need the #1 seed to beat KC thereby putting all kinds of pressure on ourselves during the season.  IMO there's a lot of mental wear-n-tear that goes alongside that.  

Would like to see how we perform as dogs in the playoffs and hope we can get a hot streak after getting in as the 6th or 7th seed.  Hell, we haven't been able to do it as the #2 or #3 seed.  

yeah I don’t think it matters much if we get the wc or division non 1 seed. Only thing that makes a difference is the 1 seed. I feel that the chances of getting a wild card is small though considering our conference losses that would happen if we don’t win the division. Too much competition this year. 

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

yeah I don’t think it matters much if we get the wc or division non 1 seed. Only thing that makes a difference is the 1 seed. I feel that the chances of getting a wild card is small though considering our conference losses that would happen if we don’t win the division. Too much competition this year. 

To be honest, I'm just hoping the Bills can get to the playoffs. There is a real possibility they don't make it at all. If they get there they can be dangerous. This week should tell us if they are contenders or pretenders. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

To be honest, I'm just hoping the Bills can get to the playoffs. There is a real possibility they don't make it at all. If they get there they can be dangerous. This week should tell us if they are contenders or pretenders. 

same. Even if they lose this week, as long as it’s close and competitive I’ll feel good if we get blown out then probably not. Getting to the superbowl has a lot to do with who you play and when though. Just need to get there. Anything can happen from there. 

6 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Trolls? 

We should also have easily been able to beat the Jets sans Rodgers, New England with Mac Jones, and the Giants with a plate full of slop there.  We lost two of those games and barely beat the third, and didn't play like we should have.   

I'm not sure it's possible to troll in that regard at this point.  

The only team with a postive Point-Differential and a record better than 3-4 that we've beaten is Miami, and they played  us comparably and apart from two TOs could just as easily have won that game.  

Haters gonna hate 

13 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

same. Even if they lose this week, as long as it’s close and competitive I’ll feel good if we get blown out then probably not. Getting to the superbowl has a lot to do with who you play and when though. Just need to get there. Anything can happen from there. 

I can't really get on board with the losing good theme. I understand it but I feel like this is pretty close to must win territory. 

The Bills are 5-3 and being 5-4 with the upcoming schedule looks pretty daunting. Bleak outlook maybe. The Bills previous 3 losses would suddenly are creeping up on them. 

Bills are a hard team to gauge.   We see glimpses of greatness followed by poor performances.   This is a top down problem and the real test is Sunday in Cincinnati.   The Bengals are playing good football on both sides.  A win in the road would push the Bills to the top of the AFC.  Lose and they among the pack.  

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

If Mostert hadn't fumbled then unless he can teleport he's getting tackled for a loss and it's 4th down, they punt we get it with time to drive down and get a FG or gasp since we're randomly rewriting history a TD. As for the INT assuming we don't change it to a completion for some unfathomable reason it'd be 3rd and 10 deep in their own side of the field. Considering they didn't score any points at all since that first drive in the second half in the actual game, I have no earthly idea why I would assume they would get any points let alone a TD.

Yeah this whole thing is just dumb, and thinking they could have done anything if they hadn't fumbled when that play and series was dead on arrival makes me question if you actually watched the game.

OK, forget it then.

Focus on the other four wins which are even less impressive.  

(Shrug)

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

You don't think we'll end up with a wild-card even?  

After Tyrod, Mac & Baker and what has been meh performances (and I'll throw in allowing Jax putting up 500 yards on the Bills defense), this week will tell a lot.

The offense should carry a big chip on their shoulder from last January and better put up 30+ and be aggressive (i.e. 4th downs <5 inside the oppositions territory), because I don't see the defense being able to stop Burrow.

Hope I'm wrong as this game is big. 

The questions I am asking myself, after watching the Bengals dismantle one of the best teams in the NFC, are:

Do I have faith that McD can come up with an effective defensive game plan to contain Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Mixon?

Can Dorsey shelve the stupid plays just this week?

Can a weakened Bills defense slow down this high powered offense who are now clicking on all cylinders?

It's a resounding no for mine. Prove me wrong Bills

Edited by SydneyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Cincy going to stomp bills. Just like I said last year. Burrow is elite dink and dunker. Kills zone. And if you ever switch to man - like 4-5 plays a game- he immediately recognizes it and then hits chase over the top . Makes you pay. Our pass rush is basically coverage sack guys now - they won’t get to him bc he gets the ball out quick. No one on our team can tackle consistently - Mixon will have a big day 

and w their D coordinator - I don’t trust Allen and offense to play flawless game which they’ll need 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just feels like everything against the Bills in this one

- Time change weekend on the road (remember Jax in 2021 - same weekend)

- House of horrors after Damar incident

- How did we do last time against them without Jones? (don't answer)

- Burrow is not Tyrod, Macorkle, or Baker

- Cin defense is pretty stout

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I was just going to say trolls are going to be unbearable this week . Bills can definitely win this.

Anybody can beat anybody- this year! And the facts are that in the past THREE WEEKS, 3 bottom feeding stiffs with poor- woeful QBs were throwing into the End Zone on the last play of the game (or close to it) to beat the Bills! 

One succeeded. 

* The OC game plans were generally horrendous! (e.g. They still snap shotgun in 6 inch GL situations)

* There was no confidence to build up huge leads or apply the dagger.

* The now outmanned D, simply cannot play heroically for 4 Quarters! They give it up at the end- obviously.

* Plus, this team has devolved into Team Stupid- like the early ones of the Millenium, giving up league leading idiotic penalties at the most critical times.

And then, there’s McClapper with the buffoonish TOs and inept game management.

I lack any confidence that they will get this right.

And the following teams look like losses- Cinci, Eagles,Cowboys, Chiefs, Chargers, Fish. and yes…the never say die Jets & their # 1 D, with bottom feeder QB!

They should only have 1L by now and they don’t! Very bad imho.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I think the Bills D will have their best game of the season so far(stat wise). O will also have a chip on their shoulders. Thursday was just a glimpse of the future game tempo and the game will turn out like the Dolphins game.😁

We can only hope.  Issues are however still there.  Up tempo, but still only 24 points.  

What however has you feeling positive about the defense?

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, kkim0904 said:

Our Defense is not strength against Cincinnati.  The offense needs to step up.  This game will be a shoot out like Miami game. 

Yup. And if the offense shows up that we’ve seen all year, outside the Miami game, than this will be an L for us 

24 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

The questions I am asking myself, after watching the Bengals dismantle one of the best teams in the NFC, are:

Do I have faith that McD can come up with an effective defensive game plan to contain Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Mixon?

Can Dorsey shelve the stupid plays just this week?

Can a weakened Bills defense slow down this high powered offense who are now clicking on all cylinders?

It's a resounding no for mine. Prove me wrong Bills

San Francisco is quite possibly THE most overrated team in the league.

7 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Our timing blows. CIN they’ve pulled it together, healthier. Ah, BUF not so much :(

…not sure who is any mindset state to analyze BUF/CIN. I may just log off, until post game. 

Please do. This board is overwhelmed with defeatism already 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

No. The Bills defense is not in position without two of its best 3 players to win us games against the best teams. If the Bills can keep Cincy below 30 that would be a huge win. Realistically these big games are going to have to be won by the offense. 

The Bills D has played well vs Tyrod and Baker for the most part. They sucked against the Patriots and that was largely on McDermott's gameplan IMO. But they simply don't have the horses at the moment to hold the Bengals. 

The rest of the way the offense will have to carry is in the heavyweight matchups. They are the ones under the microscope IMO.

• Agree 5

The Bengals match up well against the Bills. Burrow is fine with a 15 play 75 yard drive for a touchdown. He won't force that hero pass. Mixon is a violent runner (person) who can hurt our poor tackling. It's a prime time road game.

But the game is more than winnable if the right Bills show up all week.

We have the mini bye. We needed it to get healthier and game plan.

McD needs to get creative defensively even with a depleted defense. Throw a lot of looks at burrow

Von needs to get to burrow. His speed can disrupt that timing. It might not be fair to him to expect that but he has to do it 

Floyd AJ GR also have to pressure Burrow. If you can pressure for 4 (or even 3) you will get it done

The safeties have to be all over the place

Let's see hero Josh. You don't win this one playing conservative offensively 

28 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

We can only hope.  Issues are however still there.  Up tempo, but still only 24 points.  

What however has you feeling positive about the defense?

Would have been a few more points if not for a couple of stupid play calls.

Mini bye I think was really needed for the D and a little more time to plan.

I know I’m not optimistic

that bengals offense is clicking and their defense was flying to th ball better than past weeks

the good teams seem to improve as things go along like the bengals but for some reason we can’t seem to get it together 

idk I wish I was somewhat optimistic but I’m not at all

I’m a huge bills fan but I hope I’m wrong but I see the first blowout in the regular season since what? 2020?

10-14 point loss at least coming up boys.  Our boys just are not performing.  At all

just what I’ve been watching leads me to feel this way.  Our defense will not stop a single thing - burrow around like 28-32 again sounds legit.

im considering not watching this one just stinks of a blowout emotionally devastating night 

whatever it’s football I guess but damn I don’t like it 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Here's the way I see it. It better rise up. And I don't want to hear about injuries either. 

For the most part I have been a pretty steady supporter of McDermott as a coach. I don't always like what he does but I see the logic behind it most times.

However he is a HC (now DC as well) with an extensive background on the defensive side of the ball. He really should be able to scheme up a gameplan to work around the talent he's missing. 

DCs do this on a weekly basis. Just take a look at the team we are playing this week. Cincinnati has never had the most talent on defense...but they have a DC that can work around it. Take a look at when the Patriots and Bills just played. They were down Judon, down Uche and STILL managed a pass rush. They have had patchwork DB play and were missing their excellent rookie CB...still did well in coverage.

This stretch right here is "put up or shut up" time for McDermott. No Leslie Frazier calling the plays. He's got to come up with something that works. Time to see what Sean can bring to the table as a defensive mind. I have faith he'll have something good on tap. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is the biggest game of the year (unless they are within 1 of the Dolphins on January 7). This feels like the days of the drought Bills going into New England for some reason. A win and they are still within 1 of Miami and some easier games coming up. A loss and they most certainly will have to beat both KC, Chargers and then split with Dallas/Philly. 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

After Tyrod, Mac & Baker and what has been meh performances (and I'll throw in allowing Jax putting up 500 yards on the Bills defense), this week will tell a lot.

The offense should carry a big chip on their shoulder from last January and better put up 30+ and be aggressive (i.e. 4th downs <5 inside the oppositions territory), because I don't see the defense being able to stop Burrow.

Hope I'm wrong as this game is big. 

This team hasn't shown up since Miami.  With how Cincinnati has come on esp. Yesterday, it's easily going to look as bad as it did in January.

Can anything happen, sure. Will it? Looking at cold had facts...no.

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. The Bills defense is not in position without two of its best 3 players to win us games against the best teams. If the Bills can keep Cincy below 30 that would be a huge win. Realistically these big games are going to have to be won by the offense. 

The Bills D has played well vs Tyrod and Baker for the most part. They sucked against the Patriots and that was largely on McDermott's gameplan IMO. But they simply don't have the horses at the moment to hold the Bengals. 

The rest of the way the offense will have to carry is in the heavyweight matchups. They are the ones under the microscope IMO.

Any prayer the rest of the season means beane needs to swing a couple trades to upgrade the offense today. 

9 hours ago, kkim0904 said:

Our Defense is not strength against Cincinnati.  The offense needs to step up.  This game will be a shoot out like Miami game. 

Just curious, I wonder how many days out of those 10 the players had off/will have off? Did they do anything yesterday or Saturday, or were they off to play golf and go clubbing with their Hollywood girlfriends? 🤔😂

Edit: I hit the wrong button and replied to the wrong post. This post is replying to the one that said that the Bills will have had 10 days to prepare for this game.

Edited by Bob Jones
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

This team hasn't shown up since Miami.  With how Cincinnati has come on esp. Yesterday, it's easily going to look as bad as it did in January.

Can anything happen, sure. Will it? Looking at cold had facts...no.

I'm not as pessimistic, but this is where we are with the Bills.  They are an elite team and frankly the excuses from some here get tired after a while.

The issue hasn't changed with the defense.  They allow teams back in the game and way too often too many 3rd and 4th downs converted and soft coverages.  

What really bothers me is the over-reactions when they make a stop on 2nd down and act as if they just got off the field and then lo and behold, the opposition converts on 3rd (or 4th). 

McD (and his disciples here) go on about his defense and frankly they are mediocre (or much worse) when games are on the line. 

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'll agree the offense needs to carry them and that means aggressive coaching  on that side of the ball, but quit always making excuses for the defense.  Are they injured yes, but then it is next man up?  Remember how bad Cincy's OL was coming into the playoff game vs. Buffalo and they manhandled them.

We should expect the same from McD of the defensive side of the ball.

Of course I'll be thrilled with a 38-35 victory and complaining about the defense next week.😜🤣 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nucci said:

That's not really a thing

yeah, it is. This team often plays up (and down) to its opponents. They will be clicking and their intensity will be through the roof. This coaching staff also has a great track record of adjustments after a team gets us good.

Good luck if the Bengals are going to try to rush 3 or 4, and play contain again.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

yeah, it is. This team often plays up (and down) to its opponents. They will be clicking and their intensity will be through the roof. This coaching staff also has a great track record of adjustments after a team gets us good.

Good luck if the Bengals are going to try to rush 3 or 4, and play contain again.

ok. 

7 hours ago, Success said:

I'm kind of glad we didn't get Cincy when they were struggling.  We are pretty evenly matched w/ that team.

A big win next week could set the tone for a run in the home stretch.  The Bengals at the top of their game are better than the Chiefs or Ravens, imo.  If we can beat them on the road, in prime time, it would be pretty exciting.  Optimism would reign here once again.

I feel you might be too optimistic about optimism reigning here once again

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'll agree the offense needs to carry them and that means aggressive coaching  on that side of the ball, but quit always making excuses for the defense.  Are they injured yes, but then it is next man up?  Remember how bad Cincy's OL was coming into the playoff game vs. Buffalo and they manhandled them.

We should expect the same from McD of the defensive side of the ball.

Of course I'll be thrilled with a 38-35 victory and complaining about the defense next week.😜🤣 

Next man up is nice coach speak but it isn't the reality in the NFL when you lose elite level players. The Bills have three guys who have been first team all pros on defense with this team. Poyer, Tre and Milano. When you lose two guys of that level you can't just "next man up" and on you roll. It isn't true of the Bills defense any more than it is true of the 49ers offense who have the best offensive play designer in the league (and maybe ever) and were 5-0 and scoring 33 points per game. They lost two 1st team all pros in Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel and suddenly...... lost three on the bounce scoring 17 each time and none of the teams that beat them went into those games with winning records. 

In the NFL it is hard enough replacing starters with backups. But when you have to replace your best starters with backups, it's over. The league is designed in that way - to have that parity. You can't have a Manchester City or Real Madrid bench of stars in the NFL.  

That doesn't mean I won't criticise the defense when they play poorly comparable to what they have - I was VERY vocal about their failings against New England - both play calling and execution up front. I was highly critical of two stupid discipline errors that extended the final Buccs drive on Thursday totally needlessly and made that game look closer than it was. But I won't criticise the defense if the Benglas offense which is one of the best in the league and is humming now Burrow is healthy scores 30+ next weekend. Because at the moment their offensive talent >>> our defensive talent. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.