Matt Milano injury

AZSanta

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

McDermott said "medically it was more complex than I would know how to explain, so can I just classify it like the NHL and just call it lower body?"  It was reported that Milano didn't have any serious ligament damage other than a potential MCL sprain and McD refused to rule him out for the entire season and left the door open for a return at some point late in the year/playoffs. Neither did he rule out Daquan Jones for the entire season and left the door open on a return for him as well.

I missed those quotes from McD.  Thanks for sharing.  Seems like relatively good news given all the potential outcomes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Well actually what you state has no bearing whatsoever on the dissemination of his health information, it’s the HIPA laws/regulations that come into play. Just assume he won’t be back till next season, anything earlier is gravy. 

Why should nfl teams even bother releasing injury reports if any information about player health is private and legally protected information? 

Edited by krf139
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Why should nfl teams even bother releasing injury reports if any information about player health is private and legally protected information? 

A player can allow a statement without actual details, it’s likely contractual to some minor degree, but as an employer the NFL believe it or not has to follow the HIPA rules, 

• Disagree 2

18 minutes ago, krf139 said:

I thought the point is to indicate availability for the game, as information for gamblers.  So if you know the best DLman didn't practice with a foot injury and is "out" for the game or "doubtful", you can adjust your bets accordingly.

But you aren't entitled to know whether he has a turf toe or a lisfranc injury unless the player chooses to disclose it.

"Injury spotters" can watch film and hypothesize about the actual injury and its severity, of course.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Even if there's a 20% chance getting them back by the start of the playoffs,  I'd be ecstatic. 

Fully agree!  My fear was that if the ligament damage was a moderate to significant ACL tear, he would likely need to wait for the broken bone to heal before having surgery for the ACL. I'm not a medical professional, but my daughter tore her ACL 3 times.  PT in the first weeks after an ACL reconstruction is critical to recovery and I don't know how you do that with a broken leg. If this were the case, this could push the timing for his return well into next season. If it was only a MCL sprain, that would be really great news.

5 hours ago, AZSanta said:

I'm sure i'm not the only person wondering. If it is unethical to be concerned about a players well being ok. As fan we are emotionally invested in this team and its players. I dont think its asking too much for a a more detailed update.

There is nothing wrong with wondering and wanting to know but they are just as entitled to medical privacy as everyone else. Also, a few weeks is nothing.  When I had my neck surgery I had some paralysis issues for months.  I still have a ton of problems over 2 years later.  He is rehabbing. It's going to take time.  I doubt this was career ending though.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

As someone who has to go thru HIPAA training it applies to employers (Teams) and unions (NFLPA).  

Employers are generally not covered by HIPAA. HIPAA only applies to covered entities like health providers (i.e. doctors/hospitals), and health insurers. The NFL can publish any info they would like if they have the information from the player or health care provider (at least from the perspective of HIPAA).

• Agree 1

On 10/27/2023 at 7:43 PM, Flipnmi said:

Fully agree!  My fear was that if the ligament damage was a moderate to significant ACL tear, he would likely need to wait for the broken bone to heal before having surgery for the ACL. I'm not a medical professional, but my daughter tore her ACL 3 times.  PT in the first weeks after an ACL reconstruction is critical to recovery and I don't know how you do that with a broken leg. If this were the case, this could push the timing for his return well into next season. If it was only a MCL sprain, that would be really great news.

He already had surgery if that means anything. 

On 10/27/2023 at 3:27 PM, Einstein said:

I read that Daquan Jones should be back for the playoffs.

I believe it was by Dr. Chao.

You mean the w-h-o-r-e doc who just watches film and then predicts how long a player will be out?

Edited by eball
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Not sure if people are being sarcastic or not with the spleen thing but he got his leg all twisted up in a pile and was said to have fractured his leg. Not sure how that would affect his spleen

All injuries are spleen injuries

• Haha (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, eball said:

You mean the w-h-o-r-e doc who just watches film and then predicts how long a player will be out?

I mean the orthopaedic surgeon with decades of experience, including as a member of the the NFL Physicians Society and has been correct about the majority of the injuries/timelines he has diagnosed.

29 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I mean the orthopaedic surgeon with decades of experience, including as a member of the the NFL Physicians Society and has been correct about the majority of the injuries/timelines he has diagnosed.

He gets paid by FanDuel to "diagnose" injuries and predict games missed without putting hands on a patient.  He's an unethical w-h-o-r-e.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2

51 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Not sure if people are being sarcastic or not with the spleen thing but he got his leg all twisted up in a pile and was said to have fractured his leg. Not sure how that would affect his spleen

Spleen is a versatile organ you wouldn't believe where it gets up to doing it's work.

5 minutes ago, eball said:

He gets paid by FanDuel to "diagnose" injuries and predict games missed without putting hands on a patient.  He's an unethical w-h-o-r-e.

He's generally close which isn't surprising given his background but is also frequently off about specifics which isn't surprising considering he's just eyeballing it. So yeah pretty much what you said.

14 minutes ago, eball said:

I can’t knock the hustle. Someone is paying him for his opinion. I don’t see how ethics play into this. He has no relationship with these players. Anyone on here would probably do the same if given a chance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, eball said:

I mean, as a guy giving cliff notes fantasy football advice based on semi educated guesses… I don’t mind these guys chiming in. It’s not like he’s prescribing medical treatment without seeing the patient. You seem pretty worked up about them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

52 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I can’t knock the hustle. Someone is paying him for his opinion. I don’t see how ethics play into this. He has no relationship with these players. Anyone on here would probably do the same if given a chance. 

Many posters should do whatever they can do to make most money even if it is breaking contract, falsifying tests, holding out, etc.

Why should others not get all they can get?

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

I don’t see how ethics play into this. He has no relationship with these players.

It doesn't. I'm not sure what eball is upset about.

And the guy is right the vast majority of the time I have seen him.

When you have spent decades as an orthopedic surgeon, and have been the team doctor for an NFL team, it appears when you see the same injuries, year in and year out, it becomes easy to tell what on-field mechanism relates to what injury.

2 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

We still don't know if there was ligament damage to go with Milano's fracture, or do we? It would certainly make a potential difference in rehab time.

I haven't seen much in the way of details regarding his injury, so it's all weird with the Soon and the blue heart and trying to decipher that.

3 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I haven't seen much in the way of details regarding his injury, so it's all weird with the Soon and the blue heart and trying to decipher that.

Yeah I haven't seen anything either. Maybe @HappyDays knows something :).  Beyond that, I think the "soon" was a false account, as some here have pointed out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 34-78-83 said:

Yeah I haven't seen anything either. Maybe @HappyDays knows something :).  Beyond that, I think the "soon" was a false account, as some here have pointed out.

He has said he doesn't know, and even the cover 1 guys who have insiders have no idea when they're asked in the private slack. Milano and the team are keeping dead quiet about details to a degree we normally don't see in the NFL. it fits his character.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There's a Milano Facebook account that claims to be him, and he allegedly posted something about being able to return.  I don't think the account is real, just someone trying to get clicks.  

However, I do feel like he could be back for the playoffs, based off the comments we've heard from Beane and McD.  That would be huge

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I mean, as a guy giving cliff notes fantasy football advice based on semi educated guesses… I don’t mind these guys chiming in. It’s not like he’s prescribing medical treatment without seeing the patient. You seem pretty worked up about them.

46 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It doesn't. I'm not sure what eball is upset about.

And the guy is right the vast majority of the time I have seen him.

When you have spent decades as an orthopedic surgeon, and have been the team doctor for an NFL team, it appears when you see the same injuries, year in and year out, it becomes easy to tell what on-field mechanism relates to what injury.

I do think ethics play into it when you're openly providing opinions, holding yourself out as an expert, with respect to a player's protected medical information.  Most of the folks reading his tweets think he has direct knowledge of the injury/timeline because that's how he presents himself.

Look, he's making a buck by doing this for gamblers and fantasy football players.  I just call it like it is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.