Caleb Williams demanding part ownership

CDogg20

11 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Haters gonna hate even if the report is true. I'm all for players asking for as much of the pie as they can get. The league is nothing without them.

I don’t have a problem with players getting their fair share. But the biggest issue here is that there’s both an agreed upon salary cap and slotted rookie salaries. Valuing NFL teams is an inexact science to say the least. So even if the league would otherwise allow it - and it won’t - then this would be a very easy way for teams to circumvent both of those. It would never work for that reason alone. Additionally it is such a ridiculous request for a rookie that it makes his agents look unqualified and him seem a pretty clueless and naive.

It’s worth noting that there will be literally nothing to negotiate on his rookie deal. Guarantees and offsets would be the only points of contention, but as the presumptive #1 overall selection he will get a fully guaranteed contract and no offsets. His agents’ real value to him will be negotiating sponsorships. If he continues to do a stupid stuff like this, then that may take somewhat of a hit. 

Edited by BarleyNY

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t have a problem with players getting their fair share. But the biggest issue here is that there’s both an agreed upon salary cap and slotted rookie salaries. Valuing NFL teams is an inexact science to say the least. So even if the league would otherwise allow it - and it won’t - then this would be a very easy way for teams to circumvent both of those. It would never work for that reason alone. Additionally it is such a ridiculous request for a rookie that it makes his agents look unqualified and him seem a pretty clueless and naive.

It’s worth noting that there will be literally nothing to negotiate on his rookie deal. Guarantees and offsets would be the only points of contention, but as the presumptive #1 overall selection he will get a fully guaranteed contract and no offsets. His agents’ real value to him will be negotiating sponsorships. If he continues to do a stupid stuff like this, then that may take somewhat of a hit. 

The NFL will have to figure out how it works into the cap, because now that the horse is out of the barn, it's only a matter of time until it really happens.

To the bold, it's been established early in this thread that Williams' camp has never made such a request, and this was all BS reporting. Everyone can pump their breaks on judging him specifically.

12 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

Per reports, Caleb Williams is demanding part ownership of whatever team that drafts him. I wanna hear what my favorite people gave to say about this!

Personally I think this could potentially destroy his draft stock unless he backs off of it. Absolutely ludacris to think that much of yourself

Almost like hes floating some BS that would never happen so he doesnt end up in a city starting with A or C lol cmon guys use your brain, Caleb is.... hes seen bad coaching and front offices ruin solid prospects, i honestly think this is incredibly big brained if this is what hes doing

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The NFL will have to figure out how it works into the cap, because now that the horse is out of the barn, it's only a matter of time until it really happens.

To the bold, it's been established early in this thread that Williams' camp has never made such a request, and this was all BS reporting. Everyone can pump their breaks on judging him specifically.

Ummm. The NFL banned giving out equity in the team earlier this year.   So your statement is ridiculous.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-bans-giving-equity-stakes-to-players-employees#:~:text=The reasons given range from,to former employees with equity

13 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

An absolutely excellent talent but yes it makes me question his love of the game. The greats have built their net worth then invested. Speaks to the entitlement of this generation IMO

Look at his stats against Notre Dame last week.  Sure he is a talent.  But so was Bryce Young.  And he looks totally overmatched at the NFL level.  The hype machine on college QB's is ridiculous.  Its a totally different game playing QB in college versus the pros.  Very few guys coming out of college live up to the hype that the NFL offseason leading up to the draft presents.  Look at the quarterbacking in the NFL on the whole.  Its pretty awful right now.  Most NFL games are barely watchable right now from an offensive standpoint.  Broncos-Chiefs last Thursday nite.  Even w Mahomes.  It was 19-8.  Bills-Giants even w Josh Allen was 14-9.  And those are the two most talented QB's in the NFL.  

Jags-Saints tonite will be a grinder too.  Its painful watching Derrick Carr play QB.  

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Setting aside CW’s specific situation, how exactly is “the horse out of the barn”? No NFL team has given a player ownership as part of their contract as a player. Nor has one given that to a coach. The NFL is not an also-ran league like the MLS or XFL.

A former player, coach or GM can buy in just like anyone else. It won’t even matter if an owner pulls a Haslam/Watson and tries to do it because the league will never allow it to happen.  

I wonder if this cockiness comes from the NIL deals college players are allowed to sign now? 

Like Sanders flashing his watch when they win is just some cocky bull####.

These players already have money before they come into the league so now they got their tails up strutting around thinking they deserve it. 

I'm not talking about all the ones making a few bucks, just the cocky *****. 

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You never know how 21-year-old kids will develop

But not one GM will take Drake Maye over Caleb Williams

I've watched their entire careers for both of them... Maye is closer to a Herbert rn while Caleb can be a mahomes Josh Allen type 

He's 6'2 220 in the right places ... Can extend a play for 10 seconds with a laser beam

Drake Maye is a top 5 pick.. I've never heard of any of these rumors about Caleb but he's the #1 whenever he leaves 

Re-Watch the Notre Dame USC game, that might change your mind.

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Herbert is Josh Allen light 

Going back to Oregon he never had the killer instinct

They are not the same guy... 

They might be the same height and weight or close to it... But there arm strength , athleticism, and will the win do not come through the same on the football field

Caleb might be shorter at 6'2 ish.. But he's thick...A cannon, can extend the play inside or outside the pocket ... Throws on the run and is an A+ creator

Allen and mahomes are all pros who are A+ at creating... Crafty with big arms... Can move inside or outside the pocket and throw on run 

Caleb is listed at 6'1" and 215, so if that's accurate he's shorter and lighter than Mahomes. I wouldn't be surprised if some GMs have concern about his durability as a dual threat QB at the next level. Maye is also quite capable of helping himself with his legs except he's around 6'5" and 235 LBs. No doubt that Williams's ability to improvise recalls Mahomes but there is plenty of tape of Maye extending plays and making off platform throws.

it will be interesting to see how teams will evaluate these guys when decisions have to be made.

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Re-Watch the Notre Dame USC game, that might change your mind.

If you think 1 game makes or breaks a prospect lol

Peyton Manning never beat Florida in 4 years ... ND outclasses USC on both lines ... They are more physical 

Even a couple rough outings wouldn't be the end of his hype 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you think 1 game makes or breaks a prospect lol

Peyton Manning never beat Florida in 4 years ... ND outclasses USC on both lines ... They are more physical 

Even a couple rough outings wouldn't be the end of his hype 

I didn't say 1 game makes or breaks a prospect but nice attempt at putting words in my mouth and then attack me based on them.

31 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Caleb is listed at 6'1" and 215, so if that's accurate he's shorter and lighter than Mahomes. I wouldn't be surprised if some GMs have concern about his durability as a dual threat QB at the next level. Maye is also quite capable of helping himself with his legs except he's around 6'5" and 235 LBs. No doubt that Williams's ability to improvise recalls Mahomes but there is plenty of tape of Maye extending plays and making off platform throws.

it will be interesting to see how teams will evaluate these guys when decisions have to be made.

I never said maye didn't have any athleticism... He has NFL size , and he can move .... Throws a pretty ball... Good feel in the pocket

I'm not saying maye sucks .... Certainly not... He's gonna go in the top 10

Lots of good stuff 

Thing with Caleb , is he's not running to run... He's not trying to be a dual threat... He extends the pocket to throw not run... Ala Brett favre or Rodgers ... Favre was 6'2 220

Caleb might be 6'1 7/8 but he's thick 

He doesn't play like Lamar Jackson

21 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I didn't say 1 game makes or breaks a prospect but nice attempt at putting words in my mouth and then attack me based on them.

I didn't say one bad word about you or attack you... 

Saying if you think one bad game makes or breaks a prospect is not an attack

I'm sorry 

Edited by Buffalo716

The responses on here are surprising. Is that how far from supporting labor we've become. Jeez. It's a worker who has high level and desirable skills and the nfl is multi-billions. He wants to be compensated for his labor. For as blue collar a labor town Buffalo is supposed to be, the comments on here sure read like a bunch of scabs and manager lapdogs. 

One person said "entitled." Meanwhile generational wealth concentrates wealth to like 5% of the population and one dude with special talents is "entitled" because he wants to be compensated relative to the mass profits owners and the league make? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Almost like hes floating some BS that would never happen so he doesnt end up in a city starting with A or C lol cmon guys use your brain, Caleb is.... hes seen bad coaching and front offices ruin solid prospects, i honestly think this is incredibly big brained if this is what hes doing

There's already been rumblings that he would just go back to school rather than be drafted by the worst franchise

So he certainly might be playing chess while the league is playing checkers ...

Not that I think any rookie should get part-time ownership

• Like (+1) 1

ive not been following college football, so i dunno about this guy, but the likelyhood of any given guy busting out is like close to 50%, and of the remaining 50%, you got lots of room for good but not great.

i say we trade everything and draft him.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There's already been rumblings that he would just go back to school rather than be drafted by the worst franchise

So he certainly might be playing chess while the league is playing checkers ...

Not that I think any rookie should get part-time ownership

Yep, he is already making over $1 million on commercials, heck why not keep building you NIL status is Collège if you can avoid going to a dumpster fire organization, especially one trying to tank. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

I wonder if this cockiness comes from the NIL deals college players are allowed to sign now? 

Like Sanders flashing his watch when they win is just some cocky bull####.

These players already have money before they come into the league so now they got their tails up strutting around thinking they deserve it. 

I'm not talking about all the ones making a few bucks, just the cocky *****. 

Caleb doesnt strike me as anything like these guys TBH.  i think he wants to protect his career, and i think its smart.  if you gotta fling a few turds to try and end up in the right spot so be it.  no team is trading outta the pick... however if ARZ or CHI ends up with it, he says 0 chance i play for you, here a list of teams near the top of the board id play for, put together a healthy package and let one of them get me, it could sorta'ish work out for both.

if the guy is not going to play for you, but you can swing one of the largest compensations ever, its better than turning up your nose at it to have him go back to school anyways.  maybe the nfl will say ownership isnt possible, he can make some other crazy demand (with no intentions of having it fulfilled) "i want to be named offensive coordinator then" lol

its so easy to say, player shut up and go play... but if youre him, and in high demand, and are worried the Bears could pull a Bears, and not only f* up your money, but your legacy, i kinda dont blame him

Wish for his sake he stuck to last year’s method by keeping quiet and letting the play speak for itself. He ended up a Heisman winner as a result of that. Back to back is still possible but after Notre Dame’s ugly showing he’s got to be lights out from there on. 

Like @Warriorspikes51 alluded to teams taking him off their board; maybe that is his plan so the landing spots are more favorable. This quote coupled with the NIL earnings is quite concerning. 

From a quick thought there’s only a handful of QBs who are worthy of part ownership of a franchise and that’s because they built them into the success and brand they are: Montana/9ers, Colts/Manning & Pats/Brady. None of those 3 have a share in what they built… Isn’t happening for Caleb. 

Edited by BBFL

16 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

Per reports, Caleb Williams is demanding part ownership of whatever team that drafts him. I wanna hear what my favorite people gave to say about this!

Personally I think this could potentially destroy his draft stock unless he backs off of it. Absolutely ludacris to think that much of yourself

The title is misleading, and almost certainly untrue. Brady could not be a minority owner and play at the same time, right?  I think the same is true for a kid coming out of college. There is also no way for the salary cap to account for this. I think the truth is they know this. 

It does bring to mind Dan Marino rumors when Wayne Huizenga was the owner. There were stories about Marino getting info and access to IPO’s as a form of boosting his total compensation. Not sure if that was accurate, but at least it’s possible (if possibly a violation of some type).  

43 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yep, he is already making over $1 million on commercials, heck why not keep building you NIL status is Collège if you can avoid going to a dumpster fire organization, especially one trying to tank. 

If he could make $10 Mil in college with NIL (I’ve heard that is doable) that’s great today. BUT, you’d be missing out on a year at the backend of your career that could easily be $75 Mil/year by then. It’s a tough decision, because the wrong landing spot can ruin a career. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Augie said:

The title is misleading, and almost certainly untrue. Brady could not be a minority owner and play at the same time, right?  I think the same is true for a kid coming out of college. There is also no way for the salary cap to account for this. I think the truth is they know this. 

It does bring to mind Dan Marino rumors when Wayne Huizenga was the owner. There were stories about Marino getting info and access to IPO’s as a form of boosting his total compensation. Not sure if that was accurate, but at least it’s possible (if possibly a violation of some type).  

If he could make $10 Mil in college with NIL (I’ve heard that is doable) that’s great today. BUT, you’d be missing out on a year at the backend of your career that could easily be $75 Mil/year by then. It’s a tough decision, because the wrong landing spot can ruin a career. 

This is why i personally think the fans screaming 'these guys are outta control with their $$, i cant be a fan' thing are too quick on the trigger.  if this guys willing to gamble big money like that, to not have an atrocious team potentially tank his career, isnt he actually sacrificing $$ in exchange for love of the game.

i know itll be super easy for many to read that and thumb their nose, but hes not some loud mouth Deion 'show me the $$ type', this is at least his 2nd time hinting their are destinations he doesnt want to go, and i think he wants to make sure he has a chance to make the most of his career as a good player. i for one dont think this is a money grab, i think its him trying to avoid bad organizations, commendable to me...... but im sure plenty of dudes who never saw him play or talk will disagree with me that this is even possible

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

This is why i personally think the fans screaming 'these guys are outta control with their $$, i cant be a fan' thing are too quick on the trigger.  if this guys willing to gamble big money like that, to not have an atrocious team potentially tank his career, isnt he actually sacrificing $$ in exchange for love of the game.

i know itll be super easy for many to read that and thumb their nose, but hes not some loud mouth Deion 'show me the $$ type', this is at least his 2nd time hinting their are destinations he doesnt want to go, and i think he wants to make sure he has a chance to make the most of his career as a good player. i for one dont think this is a money grab, i think its him trying to avoid bad organizations, commendable to me...... but im sure plenty of dudes who never saw him play or talk will disagree with me that this is even possible

Eli refused to go to San Diego and Elway the colts because they wanted to avoid bad organizations

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

He needs some better advisors.  Even tom Brady did not get any ownership in his contracts.

17 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Haters gonna hate even if the report is true. I'm all for players asking for as much of the pie as they can get. The league is nothing without them.

They should start their own league then.

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Why?  Because some clown in the media made up a story that cannot possibly be true based on the NFL's rules?  

Because sports is becoming so incredibly obsurd that this story is actually believable in today's world.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

I think my days as a sports fan are quickly coming to an end.

GO BILLS !!!

This guy wants the days of players working construction in the off-season. Stupid players trying to get leverage in a billion dollar business where the average career is 3 years. Take your minimum wage and be happy!

46 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I demand part ownership.

Be awesome at football then 😆 

54 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

He needs some better advisors.  Even tom Brady did not get any ownership in his contracts.

They should start their own league then.

Or one of the best qb prospects can leverage their position. 

again, a lot of overreaction to some dude throwing some stuff against the wall. But hope there was the same energy for Eli Manning and John Elway.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Maybe it's a move to go undrafted and then he gets to be a Free Agent and have some say in where he starts his career. Might cost him some money upfront, but its all about the 2nd contract anyways. Look at Purdy.

Honestly, I could see this as a move to scare the owners of poorly performing franchises. Nothing wrong with dropping to the teens and going to a decently run team that had an unlucky injury year, or even better going to a team that’s historically well run. Be funny as hell though if he ended up on the Packers and they give him “stock”. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ve heard he’s making north of $10M which includes the endorsement deals. 

Also, to reiterate previous posts:

HE IS NOT ASKING FOR OWNERSHIP

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.