Suggestions on how to address the Bills sudden offensive struggles?

Simon

I think if Dorsey is more conscientious about not always letting defensive sets dictate to him, that he can call an efficient diversified offense that better suits this team. It feels like he gets in ruts at times and defenders can smell it, which makes things harder on everybody.

Some hard positional coaching from the WR and TE coaches to minimize all the self-inflicted wounds is probably necessary as well.

Thoughts?

Edit: 

Please feel free to take any screaming "Fire Him, Cut Him, light his yard on fire!" takes elsewhere.

I will help you with that if necessary.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think if Dorsey is more conscientious about not always letting defensive sets dictate to him, that he can call an efficient diversified offense that better suits this team.

Some hard positional coaching from the WR and TE coaches to minimize all the self-inflicted wounds is probably necessary as well.

Thoughts?

Honestly think Daboll just knew what he left here at Buffalo and while Dorsey calls his own game, that knowledge proved invaluable to the Giants in preparing to stop the Bills offense.

• Agree 5

If there was ever a game we missed the quick outlet passes it was this game. Kincaid might not be lighting the league on fire, but he does have sure hands and is an extension of the run game. We need Allen to get the ball out earlier and often. Also a screen pass, toss or jet sweep would be nice. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Speaking only of this game…

We run the most amount of play action in the NFL and the Giants called our bluff the entire first half.

The LB’s we’re not biting on the play-action at all (they weren’t even moving). Thats why the running attack was so successful when we finally ran it (when the linebackers aren’t crashing the gaps, you can run nearly at will).

It was a scenario where the Giants were begging us to run the ball but Dorsey didn’t figure it out until the second half.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Beane has to get a WR in here. 

I don't know if Dorsey can use that player, but they're not going to fire Dorsey, so they need another WR. 

We can't keep waiting for Kincaid, waiting for Knox, waiting for Gabe. 

I agree this team doesn’t need just a WR. It needs a top flight WR. Where you’re getting it I have no idea. Davante Adams but he has a large contract and tons of capital. I don’t classify Jeudy as that guy. 

• Dislike 1

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

I agree this team doesn’t need just a WR. It needs a top flight WR. Where you’re getting it I have no idea. Davante Adams but he has a large contract and tons of capital. I don’t classify Jeudy as that guy. 

It has to come from the Draft. First Round. 

But we can't just punt on the season, Beane has to do something for this year. 

We need someone that can be a reliable target in the seams and over the middle. A slot WR. 

We spent a lot of money on one TE and drafted another in the first round and I hoped they would be it but so far, no dice.

I’d say make a trade but the Bills seem to have a difficult time incorporating new skill players into their offense so I don’t think that is the answer.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

We run the most amount of play action in the NFL and the Giants called our bluff the entire first half.

The LB’s we’re not biting on the play-action at all (they weren’t even moving). Thats why the running attack was so successful when we finally ran it (when the linebackers aren’t crashing the gaps, you can run nearly at will).

It was a scenario where the Giants were begging us to run the ball but Dorsey didn’t figure it out until the second half.

Agreed. I would like to go back and see some of the all-22, but I am guessing these were super light boxes all game. Could and should have just run it down their throat until they started shifting on D to bringing the safeties down more. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Gabe Davis isn’t it. Just more confirmation of an over discussed topic. Maybe try to use more Sherfield?

I’d rather our current stable than Jeudy, Jeudy sucks. But not opposed to swinging something for another, different body. Hollywood Brown, ok

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Beane has to get a WR in here. 

I don't know if Dorsey can use that player, but they're not going to fire Dorsey, so they need another WR. 

We can't keep waiting for Kincaid, waiting for Knox, waiting for Gabe. 

It won't matter. We trade for a WR, Ken won't use them, and they will end up on special teams, like Nyheim Hines. Just wait for Kenny to get fired, or McD to get told he either fires Ken or they are both gone.

• Agree 3

It's a tale of two half's no?  In the first half the O and Allen struggled a great deal.  In the 2nd half they were surgical.  Three possessions and 2 TD's on two very long drives.  A 3rd possession and we just missed a game sealing completion on a nice call & play.

Again the defense didn't lay as well as the score indicates. No TO's and they allowed the Giants to go on multiple long drives that while not yielding points took a lot of time off the clock and robbed the O of 2 and probably 3 more possessions.

• Agree 5

The passcatchers we have here can’t even do their job because they’ve gotta chip a pass rusher every route lol I don’t think adding another one is gonna be as effective as people think.  

the giants front 7 were absolute animals tonight we need upgrades on the offensive line badly.  I thought we finally figured that out but nope 

it doesn’t even matter what plays are called they break down immediately due to pressure 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Whatever pages he has left from old playbooks using Beas or McKenzie need to be dusted off and at least tried

He needs to put Josh under center. They need to both see the play and be on the same page. 

I dare even say come out of the booth for a game to be on the field with everyone 

• Like (+1) 1

I hate that I'm saying this, but they need to run the ball more. Specifically with Murray.

The Giants were giving them chunks on the ground but the Bills kept passing. Also, the Bills missed a couple of field goals wide right. Something oddly familiar about this game. (Shivers)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Offense is pretty clearly more effective when Allen is under center.  If we're running Cook from under center, that's fine.  But if we're running play action with Cook in the backfield, that's an issue, because he's horrible in pass pro.

Sherfield and Shakir are JAGs, and Davis is a wildcard from one week to the next (aside from the sloppy fumble, I'm pretty sure that he didn't catch the pass on the first play of the GW TD drive).  Knox is also unreliable - he looks like a 50-year old man when he tries to bend down to catch passes below his knees.  I don't know what the issue is with Kincaid, but he needs to be more heavily involved in the pass game, and not just as a safety valve.

I don't think that 2-3 designed Allen runs would hurt, either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 Things

#1. Dorsey needs a "you suck" st your job with an ultimatum to get more consistent.

#2. Get Mike Evans

#3. Stop the shotgun draw

#4. Utilize Cook and Murray more to change up pace and out of backfield.

#5. If you can't get Mike Evans, then game plan with Kincaid in mind or find confidence in a receiver not named Diggs who Allen stares at the whole time.

Bonus: Davis, Knox, Sherfield, and Harty should not be in next year's plans if at all possible.

• Thank you (+1) 1

What I don't understand was the switch from the first half to the second half, it's like Dorsey has this idea of how he wants the offense to work and it ***** doesn't. Then either he changed his mind or someone changed it for him and he started spreading the ball around and it worked.

Edited by Warcodered

13 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think if Dorsey is more conscientious about not always letting defensive sets dictate to him, that he can call an efficient diversified offense that better suits this team.

Thoughts?

Edit: 

Please feel free to take any screaming "Fire Him, Cut Him, light his yard on fire!" takes elsewhere.

I will help you with that if necessary.

In all seriousness, we need a legitimate, intentionally-schemed, slot position player that can run option routes that Josh trusts.

It is, by far, the biggest problem going with the offense currently. It was the biggest problem last year as well. We have ZERO players in that role. Part of that may be a lack of talent there. Part of may be an unwillingness of Dorsey's to use.

With Diggs and Davis on the boundary, both as deep to intermediate route options, we need a guy running 8-12 yard routes with the freedom to cut up the seam, or curl in on the soft spots in the zone. This offense doesn't have it. They haven't had it since Cole Beasley lost his legs. And Josh desperately needs it.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

It’s unpopular but this needs to be a run first team imo. Lots of motion and multiple runners. 
The line seems to get into a groove when they’re getting enough attempts per game. With the injuries on defense they need the time of possession.
Everything under center seems to work much smoother. And Davis should probably start losing some snaps.  
In shootout situations or come from behind it’ll basically be the offense they’re running now. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1

Just now, boyst said:

If he, like many think, has lost some of his confidence then this would be a mistake. 

ok then maybe try to get him to stop over thinking everything and stick with something a bit more when it is working, which will help the offense get more physical, in a rhythm and have an identity

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

We didn’t sustain drives the first half. Can’t establish anything when you’re not sustaining drives. Giants also blitzed us early to take away the run along with the play action when we were under center.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Simon said:

Thoughts?

Hire a senior offense assistant to help Dorsey evaluate his playbook.  His playbook likely has a good portion of Daboll's and Daboll clearly understood plays we play.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

We didn’t sustain drives the first half. Can’t establish anything when you’re not sustaining drives. Giants also blitzed us early to take away the run along with the play action when we were under center.

They timed several of those really, really well. Kind of like a few in the Jax game last week.

I wonder self-scouting/quality control should speak up a little bit.

8 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

because he's horrible in pass pro.

Young Mr Cook is going to give me a coronary sooner or later.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I honestly anymore get scared when Josh throws to anyone but Diggs. Gabe and Dawson have had so many key drops that I don’t blame Josh for looking for Steff so often.

But solutions should be more creativity in the run game there should be more motion, sweeps, power I, stop Dorsey’s love of the shotgun toss and draw.

The passing game should involve Josh more under center and even with the safeties playing back just have Harty or Davis run a streak once a quarter and let Josh toss one downfield even if he overthrows it.  

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

What I don't understand was the switch from the first half to the second half, it's like Dorsey has this idea of how he wants the offense to work and if ***** doesn't. Then either he changed his mind or someone changed it for him and he started spreading the ball around and it worked.

Second period adjustments?

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Seems like teams are taking away big plays with 2 high safeties.  I think we need an upper tier RB and pound teams until they have to bring their safeties up.  Cook ain’t bad but he’s not that dude.  We need a younger more explosive Latavius Murray.  

i just dont feel like Dorsey would utilize a RB like that nearly enough

9 minutes ago, Wizard said:

5 Things

#1. Dorsey needs a "you suck" st your job with an ultimatum to get more consistent.

#2. Get Mike Evans

#3. Stop the shotgun draw

#4. Utilize Cook and Murray more to change up pace and out of backfield.

#5. If you can't get Mike Evans, then game plan with Kincaid in mind or find confidence in a receiver not named Diggs who Allen stares at the whole time.

Bonus: Davis, Knox, Sherfield, and Harty should not be in next year's plans if at all possible.

Didn’t run a single draw all night.

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

What I don't understand was the switch from the first half to the second half, it's like Dorsey has this idea of how he wants the offense to work and if ***** doesn't. Then either he changed his mind or someone changed it for him and he started spreading the ball around and it worked.

Players executed the second half. Calls didn’t change in the open field. They were the same concepts we ran in the first.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.