What was the first R Rated movie you saw?

BillsPride12

6 hours ago, stevewin said:

The Warriors.  At the time there was huge deal made about how excessively violent it was - which of course only fueled underage kids like me at the time to sneak in.  "Warrrrioooorrs - Come out to Play-eeee-aaayyyyyyy"

"Can you dig it?"

My first R rated movie was Saturday Night Fever.

Edited by Bills4everNY

My first attempt was Blazing Saddles. Me and a friend made it into the theater and the movie started when we got a tap on the shoulder and were informed we'd have to depart the premises. Not too long after that a cop informed us we'd have to depart from where we were about to light one up. Don't remember where we went next except it wasn't home. Good times.

Pretty sure the first R rated movie I actually saw was Animal House.

• Haha (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I think it was "Hot Dog", the ski movie. Parents let me watch that one with them on VHS....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there was sex and EVERYONE was uncomfortable. Think I was like 12, and a pants adjustment had to be done.

At 12 years old you probably had to do a pants adjustment when the wind changed direction.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Pet Semetary. 

I was NOT ready. Scared the ever-living ***** out of me. That sister with the spinal meningitis skittering to the door. "Raaachhhhellll"

Ugh. Still gives me the willies. 

Screen-Shot-2015-07-28-at-10.05.27-PM.jp

I was in 8th grade the first time I saw that movie and it still scared the S*** out of me! 

On 10/11/2023 at 4:45 PM, Wacka said:

God, people on here are young. Probably the Exorcist. Was 16 in 1973.HBO came on cable in 75 or 76. Saw Blazing Saddles (74) and then suggested that my parents see it. Went to see it again with them.

HBO went off the air at about 1AM. International Cable would show a hard R-rated  movie or two on that channel and then a "soft" X at about 4 AM.  We were already over 18, got some  beer and watch them at my friend's house. Years later confirmed this with my neighbor who worked for International Cab le back then.

I got you beat by 7 years.   😃   That was pre-cable, I lived in the country outside a really small town, and my parents were pretty strict, so I didn't see anything that wasn't fit for broadcast tv until I was old enough to go to the movies with my friends (without my dad having to drop me off).  I can't remember the first R movie that I saw, but the first X rated movie that I saw was Midnight Cowboy in 1969 when I was in college (the movie theater in my home town would never have shown an X rated movie.  It was a different world back then.).

Edited by SoTier
  • Thank you (+1) 1

"Jaws" when I was 10.   I sat in the front row.

I was afraid to go in the deep end of a pool for a few years after that.  And to this day, when I swim in the ocean, I'm always looking around for a fin.

EDIT:  I'm kind of shocked - I just checked, and online it says "Jaws" was rated PG. Which is pretty surprising.

I think the 1st R I saw was Alien, then.  A crazy one to watch when I was that age, but the violent scenes didn't stick w/ me like "Jaws" did.

Edited by Success

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Watched Bad News Bears recently and it blew my mind it was rated PG 

It's actually a problem if you forget that the rating changes because they haven't re-rated a lot of old movies. Some movies you've seen so much on TV and they are rated "PG" that you forget what's actually in them in the unmodified form. Spaceballs for example. Not terrible, not appropriate though.

• Like (+1) 1

Movies had competition from TV which used a different system which resulted in movie system revised.

https://www.filmratings.com/History#:~:text=The current rating system emerged,new parent-focused rating system.

The current rating system emerged in 1968, when MPAA chairman Jack Valenti replaced the earlier moral censorship guidelines, known as the Hays Code, with a revolutionary new parent-focused rating system. While the Hays Code authorized a movie for distribution based on whether it was deemed “moral” according to an exhaustive list of rules, the current movie rating system was born out of the simple notion that the movie industry wouldn’t approve or disapprove what audiences should see, but instead would focus on “freeing the screen” and educating parents to help them make movie-going decisions for their family. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Success said:

"Jaws" when I was 10.   I sat in the front row.

I was afraid to go in the deep end of a pool for a few years after that.  And to this day, when I swim in the ocean, I'm always looking around for a fin.

EDIT:  I'm kind of shocked - I just checked, and online it says "Jaws" was rated PG. Which is pretty surprising.

I think the 1st R I saw was Alien, then.  A crazy one to watch when I was that age, but the violent scenes didn't stick w/ me like "Jaws" did.

Saw Alien at the movies. When the "pod" exploded onto John Hurt's facemask, everyone jumped out of their seats (was all adults) and also jumped when it broke out of his chest later.

Edited by Wacka

32 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"Tommy"  lol... I was 7 in 1975.

My older siblings and cousin were supposed to watch me. Probably why I am so effed up. 😆 

Behind the green door didn't work for you?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"Tommy"  lol... I was 7 in 1975.

My older siblings and cousin were supposed to watch me. Probably why I am so effed up. 😆 

I'm a big fan of The Who and Tommy is one of my favorite albums, but that movie was really bad. It had a couple of good scenes, like Elton John doing Pinball Wizard, Tina Turner singing the Acid Queen, and a scantily-clad Ann-Margret in a tub full of baked beans, but outside of that, it was unwatchable. I thought the Broadway musical was good, though.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I'm a big fan of The Who and Tommy is one of my favorite albums, but that movie was really bad. It had a couple of good scenes, like Elton John doing Pinball Wizard, Tina Turner singing the Acid Queen, and a scantily-clad Ann-Margret in a tub full of baked beans, but outside of that, it was unwatchable. I thought the Broadway musical was good, though.

elton john makes it unwatchable but getting buzzed before the midnight movies made most of Tommy the main choice... usually it was either that or rocky horror. Good times, good days, good puss...

in 1980 a movie named "Fame" was released. It was rated R.  The movie pertained to a performing arts high school. 

Anyway fast forward to 2000 and I see it is being shown on cable. So I watched it with my kids and 2 of their friends

Mom of friends was NOT happy I showed her kids an R rated movie.   OOPS. 

There were some harder R's  than others. I didn't think that movie was that bad at all .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1st ever was "Hamburger: The Motion Picture" when my neighbor's older sister and her boyfriend were "babysitting" us.  Truly awful movie.

1st in a theater was "Hard to Kill" to kick off my middle school Steven Seagal phase: "I'm gonna take you to the bank, Senator Trent -- to the blood bank!"

On 10/14/2023 at 3:32 PM, Augie said:

My Dad took me to see Dirty Harry when I was maybe 11-12. I guess he wanted to see Dirty Harry, and I enjoyed the brief nudity quite a bit more than the shoot ‘em up part.

Remember, I was 11-12. 

Is it not both sad and amusing at how mesmerizing nudity is to young men? Well probably all men. 😂  

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Brief nudity was the greatest simple pleasure in life as an 11 or 12 year old boy 

At that age I’d take a flash of flesh over going blind trying to see the scrambled Playboy Channel! Then again, at that age I’d take whatever I could get….. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.