How did Von Miller look?

Westside

45 minutes ago, zow2 said:

He looked kind of dejected on the bench. Like he was excited to play but then knew once he was in there for a couple plays he could not get around the turn as an edge rusher. I think he knows his knee is not stable enough yet.  Not sure why he was on the active roster today.

Remember how tentative Tre was last year. It was like he never really returned to his old level of play. I'm not saying this will be Von's fate but fans have to be patient.  He will be amped up slowly by McD, as he should. 

12 hours ago, Steptide said:

He did nothing. I'd expect it to take a few weeks before he gets back to his normal play 

McDermott said he was on a pitch count. He was in a baseball cap on the sideline for the whole second half. 

I think they just wanted him to have a few live-action reps.  He played like it was preseason. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

One snap he took his rush so wide I thought he was leaving the field.

Definitely rusty, or old, or finished. We’ll see. That’s the scary thing with older players, the end happens quickly. See Jordan Poyer. He’s done.

First game back from an ACL injury less than a year from injuring it with no camp, a week of practice and flying across the world. Of course he looked rusty. People that thought he was gonna be a game wrecker first game back are delusional. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

7 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Noticed Von had a huge knee brace on. I’m hoping he is ready to go 20% of the snaps next week. 

Von was in on 20 of 88 defensive snaps. That's about 23% snap count in game one. Providing there were nothing was aggravated or he's not set back....I'm thinking he's closer to 50% next week.

Miller played 20 snaps.  About a quarter of the team's D snaps.

The trade for him was a risky one, high risk high-reward.  Unfortunately the risk part has played out.  

It's unwise to think that at his age, 34, and coming off that injury, that he'll ever be back to what he was or even close.  

The only reason why I noticed him yesterday was because I wondered whether he was in and was looking for his number.  

12 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Like they barely asked him to do anything.

that's the only thing we can say about his effect yesterday.

i agree with the decision to pull him on that turf, even though it was a pitch count situation.

i disagree that he should have even been playing if it was going to be a pitch count knowing we were on that surface to begin with

11 hours ago, BillzFreak said:

It was his first game back from a torn acl. No training camp no preseason action at all. So can we give it at least a few games before a statement like that?

I like the messages questioning his effort and level of engagement.  Already makes me look forward to reading the lovely posts about Milano in 12 months.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

8 sacks and wins over Baltimore and KC last year. He was living up to the contract until he got hurt. 

Rather have the funds available to help elsewhere, VM is aging & he’s hardly played - contributed.

Two “w’s yeah ok - what’s his snap count been since he joined the roster?

• Eyeroll 1

52 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Rather have the funds available to help elsewhere, VM is aging & he’s hardly played - contributed.

Two “w’s yeah ok - what’s his snap count been since he joined the roster?

Because he got injured, he was an impact player and the reason we won games when he played.  The team could have used the money elsewhere and what happens if those players got hurt or didn’t have an impact. You’d still be here bitching. They needed to upgrade their pass rush as it’s been pretty much nonexistent since McDermott got here. Von did that. Most people wanted Chandler Jones. 

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Because he got injured, he was an impact player and the reason we won games when he played.  The team could have used the money elsewhere and what happens if those players got hurt or didn’t have an impact. You’d still be here bitching. They needed to upgrade their pass rush as it’s been pretty much nonexistent since McDermott got here. Von did that. Most people wanted Chandler Jones. 

We also lost 3 games when he played Jets Phins & Vikes. So….

He’s also likely to take a considerable amount of time to get up to speed this season & he’ll be well past 35 yrs old next season.  Sorry but his best days are likely behind him, unfortunately we have him signed @ $120m through 2027.  If you think you’re going to see the Von from Denver days I think you’re slightly misguided.  What we have is a player likely traversing the backside of his career.  You can only fight Father Time  so long in this game.

I would much rather have that money allocated to some younger talent or younger FA.

Edited by PayDaBill$

16 hours ago, Westside said:

I wasn’t able to watch much of the game, I was wondering how Von looked and played. Would be great to see him start rounding into shape soon. 

BTW, I think Epenesa is starting to look like a beast 

I saw someone in another thread talk about how he felt he looked good out there...and I was confused because I couldn't recall seeing him do much of anything out there.  

There was one play where Von ran such a rounded wide rush at the QB he was at least 10 to 15 yards away by the time the QB threw the ball.  It was so wide it looked like he was almost running to the flat to cover a backwards pass screen, except there was no RB or WR in the vicinity.  

Im glad he is back, but I don't think he should be anything right now other than the 4th guy in the rotation.  Groot, Floyd, and AJE have been very good, and I especially don't want to take AJE off the field right now in favor of a 34 DE trying to get his legs back after a torn ACL.  AJE is in a contract year, and making an impact with the opportunities he is finally getting after basically being buried here since getting drafted.  I would rather see what he can keep doing so we know if we should try and keep him as part of the future here or not this offseason.  Let Von slowly get into shape to be at his best come playoff time.  

This past offseason I kept saying AJE is better than people think and could start or compete to start on many other teams, but the kid has just been buried since arriving in Buffalo and not gotten a real opportunity to play significant minutes.  And so far, he is making the most out of those opportunities and I would like to see if he can keep it up as the season progresses before we need to make a decision on trying to retain him or let him walk.  

And because of the high level play of Groot, Floyd, and AJE...the return of Von feels less impactful, even if successful, compared to the loss of Tre, Milano, and possibly Jones for the season.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sorry all, I watched Von closely a few times and didn't see anything.  He would go around the edge at maybe half speed and then kind of jogged towards the QB who easily got the pass off.  I get what the Bills are trying to do.  He's getting paid a boat load and they have to get him live game reps.  They took Groot off the field on an important 3rd down play and put Von in, and he was a detriment.  He's just not ready to make any kind of impact from what i can see.  Unless this week of practice he suddenly looks great, I'd make him inactive.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I'm sorry all, I watched Von closely a few times and didn't see anything.  He would go around the edge at maybe half speed and then kind of jogged towards the QB who easily got the pass off.  I get what the Bills are trying to do.  He's getting paid a boat load and they have to get him live game reps.  They took Groot off the field on an important 3rd down play and put Von in, and he was a detriment.  He's just not ready to make any kind of impact from what i can see.  Unless this week of practice he suddenly looks great, I'd make him inactive.

Shut him down for 2-3 weeks and let him continue his rehab. He's contributing nothing. 

• Agree 4

I am putting the cart before the horse, but if he shows very little the rest of the year, I cut him in the offseason, and take the dead cap hit. 

As far as the present, WTF are the coaches thinking not only activating him, but putting him on the field. He is beyond useless right now. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Agree 2

On 10/8/2023 at 8:30 PM, Westside said:

I wasn’t able to watch much of the game, I was wondering how Von looked and played. Would be great to see him start rounding into shape soon. 

BTW, I think Epenesa is starting to look like a beast 

Von is keeping his promise of “burning it all”.  Unfortunately what he meant by “it all” was our salary cap.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He hasn't played since last year. He had no offseason program, no training camp or preseason. Do people really expect Von to be in mid-season form right away.

So critical game moments is when he is getting his OTA’s? Not a great strategy. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, LabattBlue said:

So critical game moments is when he is getting his OTA’s?  Not a great strategy. 

Agree with you. That is on the coaches to know when to play him or not. Realistically it is going to take some time for Von to get his game back.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Haven’t noticed him yet. Hopefully he can ramp it up with spot duty for the next month or so. 

Haven’t noticed him?  You mean haven’t noticed him in a good way?  He was on the field on the Giants last drive going half speed. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.