How did Von Miller look?

Westside

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Haven’t noticed him?  You mean haven’t noticed him in a good way?  He was on the field on the Giants last drive going half speed?

Don’t know if he was or wasn’t. Didn’t notice him making any plays. Seems to still be a work in progress. Can’t say I focused on him specifically in any way though. 

9 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He hasn't played since last year. He had no offseason program, no training camp or preseason. Do people really expect Von to be in mid-season form right away.

I'm not that concerned about conditioning or offseason program.  His knee does not look ready to play as a high level edge rusher in an NFL football game.  The Bills can't pretend that his knee is ready for combat.  It isn't.  So activate a player that can actually contribute and go 100%. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I'm sorry all, I watched Von closely a few times and didn't see anything.  He would go around the edge at maybe half speed and then kind of jogged towards the QB who easily got the pass off.  I get what the Bills are trying to do.  He's getting paid a boat load and they have to get him live game reps.  They took Groot off the field on an important 3rd down play and put Von in, and he was a detriment.  He's just not ready to make any kind of impact from what i can see.  Unless this week of practice he suddenly looks great, I'd make him inactive.

Yes he looks slow, labored, and like, well... He's rehabbing.

When you got guys playing at a level that Greg, AJ, and Floyd have been, it's hard to justify putting von out there on meaningful snaps.

I actually think this is like a pre-achilles Tre situation, where von is likely to not be good, let alone great, until next year. Difference is we have other impact players at Vons position, but didn't at Tre's, so he got lots of leash.

And I'm pretty sure tomorrow is Von's 87th birthday, so there's that.

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I am putting the cart before the horse, but if shows very little the rest of the year, I cut him in the offseason, and take the dead cap hit. 

As far as the present, WTF are the coaches thinking not only activating him, but putting him on the field. He is beyond useless right now. 

I'm not there yet, but I'm not ready to write off that direction.

I think if you do that, you are also making other moves (letting poyer, Hyde, Tre go) and having a dead cap year and a youth movement. And some new coaching, be it just OC or otherwise.

Basically it would be moving on from this SB "window", and starting to chip away at the painted jams on the next window.

This is basically the way I thought about last year. Time to call it with this group and shake it up. And maybe gain some mental toughness, since that is this team's tragic flaw. Wimpy, defeatist mindsets.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not a huge fan of letting Von take 20+ snaps in real, live games to "warm up" but if he can turn it on for the playoffs then I guess it will be fine.

Frankly, I'd rather give his money to keeping Epenesa, Floyd, and Rousseau

I would lose faith in management if we lose out on extending AJ and Rousseau just to cling to an aging injury-prone veteran whose best days are behind him. Those two guys are young, and aggressive and seem to be coming into their own this year. I do not hate them for swinging and taking the chance on Von, but I will mind it if they let young talented guys go just to keep him

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

For the few plays he was in, he did that fun thing where he rushed 5 yards beyond the QB and completely lost outside contain.

A better QB will break the pocket to the right every time he does this.

He's quicker than he looks like though.. if you step into that space you better have a plan because he'll sneak up behind you.  

Brought nothing. Took scenic tours around the backfield. No leverage, power or quickness. Took snaps away from good players.
I hope he gets his game back for the playoffs. I’d be shocked if this isn’t his last year as a Bill.

Edited by bmur66
  • Agree 3

On 10/8/2023 at 8:39 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know one thing he looked disinterested on the sidelines. For all the shine this guy gets, I was expecting to see him getting guys fired up. The whole team looked DOA for 45 mins…would have been nice to see this dude contribute somehow. Like get off the bench and be one of the vocal leaders.

0 points through 3 Qs.  If anyone has suggested to me that this team go 3 Qs without a score, of any kind, through three quarters of any game this season, I'd have told them they were nuts.  

But the Giants?  

Everyone's praising our D, but they held a team that hasn't even averaged 12 PPG or 1 TD/game to their second most total yards, passing yards, 1st Downs, and most rushing yards that they've logged all season.  

... in our house!  

Impressive?  

The only reason why we won this game is due to Taylor's and Daboll's ineptitude.  

As well, anyone truly believing that Allen, like Brady, hasn't been responsible for his own development more than either Daboll or Dorsey was is misguided.  

Von Miller was a known high-risk/high-reward trade on which we've realized the risk.  Anyone expecting a 34-year old player to return to his former self after that kind of one injury is foolish.  

Miller will never be worth what he's getting paid at this point.  How Beane deals with that remains to be seen.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, wppete said:

Von Miller is not healthy, he does not look

good. They should sit him until a few games before the playoffs. 

Might as well sit him the entire year then. If you think he can just sit around and show up at the end of the year in game shape ready to go.

I would imagine that the entire goal of playing him now is so that in a month he looks closer to his old self. We have the benefit of not needing him to be a superstar pass rusher right now since we are getting contributions elsewhere.

Edited by Bangarang

On 10/8/2023 at 8:46 PM, thenorthremembers said:

Non-existent.  I only noticed him on the field once.   Bills have paid him 3 million dollars a sack so far.  I said it when they signed him, and continue to feel the same way.  It was an unusual move for Beane when he did it, and was a direct reaction for losing out on JJ Watt and Chandler Jones in consecutive years.   Its also the reason Deandre Hopkins isnt in a Bills uniform.

That's the position you put yourself in when your drafts are ineffective at producing impact pass rushers, much less elite players.  He can thank himself for it.  

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.