Roger Goodell said today's game was an experiment??

Bubba Gump

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

These aren’t office jobs. I don’t understand why they need to adjust to the Time zone at all. Act like It’s a 9 am game. Keep the schedule on you time zone. Add some blackout curtains on the hotel windows cater the food at normal meal times. 

The decision to have the guys get two hours of sleep on a plane then force them to stay up all day Friday is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

• Agree 4

14 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Boo hoo. These guys are professionals and are afforded support that us “regular folk” could never dream of. Its clearly not ideal but if they can’t get it together enough to play after two nights sleep,

then they need to suck it up. The injuries were brutal and the refs sucked but I just hate this “oh poor us we had to travel” mentality. 

It's not as if we got blown out, it's quite feasible that that little advantage for the Jags was more than enough to account for our performance vs. theirs.  

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's not just the jet lag and time difference.  You're on a damn plane for nearly 10 hours. Of course you're going to be wiped out.  Nice fair and equitable play NFL.  Scrub this British nonsense and let them have their soccer.

Guarantee you they’ll never do that to a team again and we will be the only team ever effected lol they’re lucky one of their household names didn’t get hurt on that terrible field too 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

I have been fortunate to travel to Europe several times. I always have found it very difficult traveling east to Europe. The jet lag really effects me. Traveling back to the US is not a problem.

I was shocked how late in the week the Bills traveled to London. That was a head scratcher. I wonder whose bright idea that was.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Instead of using sports science maybe they should have spoken to people who you know actually fly to London? Any moron will tell you that flying across the Atlantic absolutely wipes you out for a few days 

Most teams are flying there late in the week to keep their recovery/practice schedule as normal as possible. It’s kind of a damned if you do/damned if you don’t situation though.

being there for a week prior is an undeniable strategic advantage.

even with that though this was a winnable game that we choked away…both things can be true.  

• Agree 1

Dorsey obviously didn’t sleep all week because his game plan was absolute garbage. Yeah Ken can’t catch the ball but after 3 or 4 three and outs to start the game maybe you scarp your crap plan and open up the offense. Jax took away the short stuff, the TE’s should have been down the seam all night. 

I’m watching tight ends all over the league catch balls left and right and all we can do is have Kincaid catch a 2 yard out. 

Knox has regressed but he has some talent. Kincaid was a monster at Utah and all Dorsey has him doing is acting like an outlet receiver.

I’m pissed. F the jet lag, this offense sucked and lost us the game.

3 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

They can somewhat solve the jetlag issue by scheduling the game for 5 or 6 PM London time. 

Too much $$$$ at stake…they want the game in an exclusive window.  Really starting to sour on this league…or continuing to sour on it is more accurate

😂

completely unacceptable making teams play on bad turf on top of concrete from a player safety perspective regardless of everyone’s opinion of jet lag 

• Like (+1) 2

Mcdermott is seething mad inside. you could tell from his downtrodden press conference. He wants to evaluate why they came out with little energy, and if the travel itinerary had anything to do with it. Which means he’s not happy with the sports science guys or whoever made that decision to arrive Friday. 

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Not with the same team playing consecutive weeks.  There's been much made up about the Bills traveling over only on Thursday evening, but that was the same schedule Jax used the week prior.  Difference was both teams did the same a week ago.  That to me did make this rather unfair, then add to it as someone pointed out in another thread, the Bills were the home team this week so should have been given the travel advantage.

Would have been much fairer since Bills were home team if a week ago, Bills played Jax with Bills home team, then this week Jax was home team against someone ideally who played the Thursday night prior so give them extra time for travel if they choose to use it or not.

🤦‍♂️

I said that in my opening sentence stating what could be the experiment…

2 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

You must not have comprehended at all what I wrote. Permanent teams within Europe vs. an American based NFL team playing back to back weeks there.

I’m not arguing at all. And no need for the hostility.

“The experiment was to see about a permanent team”

I’m not sure what the “room for misunderstanding or interpretation” for what I said is in that. Nor am I hostile. You make out my statement was trash and absolutely off topic but then say pretty much exactly the same thing but worded differently…

31 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Great points… other than the other team had a week to adjust. You don’t see that as an issue? Given that, the early trip would have been smarter. 

It’s a BS excuse that’s all I’m saying 

14 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

I'm exhausted for at least two days flying 4 hours and adjusting for two hours earlier to the west where my daughter lives.  

not that easy to sleep properly in another time zone.  

I’m guessing you aren’t a 30 something professional athlete. 

Just now, billsfanmiamioh said:

ETIENNE said he felt so much better ten days in compared to how he felt for the Falcons game. Every Jag had that advantage. Every Bill didn't.

Is the only reason the Bills lost? No. Play calling, execution, some bad officiating. But is it a reason? Even a victorious NFL player is saying, in a round about way, that yes it is.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe if the NFL scheduled the game for 3 to 6 hours later, the late arrival would workout better? 

Bills arrive Friday but can keep on pretending they are on normal eastern standard time.   as it is, they are waking up several hours earlier than they are used to, with only a couple days to adjust. A later game would make it almost adjustment free in many ways. 

4 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

The Patriots own two jets. But Pegula can’t fix up one old Concorde to cut the flight time? Pegula is cheap. 

Did you see what's going on with the Patriots plane? 

Patriots file $22 million lawsuit against airline after alleged breach of contract by aviation company - CBSSports.com

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

They act like they had to travel to Australia.

It’s 5 hours. 

It’s 5 hours on a plane after playing an 60 minute professional football game the weekend before and you lose 5 hours time.  Imagine if on daylight savings time you lost 5 hours instead of 1 haha thered be no flight involved in that case and it would still mess ya up. 

4 minutes ago, BBFL said:

🤦‍♂️

I said that in my opening sentence stating what could be the experiment…

“The experiment was to see about a permanent team”

I’m not sure what the “room for misunderstanding or interpretation” for what I said is in that. Nor am I hostile. You make out my statement was trash and absolutely off topic but then say pretty much exactly the same thing but worded differently…

I did not say your statement was trash so don’t put words in my mouth. And I was not arguing, I was disagreeing. Two totally different things. I wasn’t saying “pretty much exactly the same thing but worded differently.” I was saying something entirely different.

Not my problem you can’t understand it. Have a great night.

1 minute ago, Man with No Name said:

Maybe if the NFL scheduled the game for 3 to 6 hours later, the late arrival would workout better? 

Bills arrive Friday but can keep on pretending they are on normal eastern standard time.   as it is, they are waking up several hours earlier than they are used to, with only a couple days to adjust. A later game would make it almost adjustment free in many ways. 

The Bills should have flown out earlier - Tuesday evening at the latest. Yes, they were copying other teams that had already flown to Europe but why? When they were the first franchise to be at a disadvantage over their opponent, who had five days on them even if they had flown out Tuesday night. As it is, the Bills sports scientists decided to give them another three days.

Just now, BuffaninSarasota said:

I did not say your statement was trash so don’t put words in my mouth. And I was not arguing, I was disagreeing. Two totally different things. I wasn’t saying “pretty much exactly the same thing but worded differently.” I was saying something entirely different.

Not my problem you can’t understand it. Have a great night.

🙄

You too! 

7 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I’m guessing you aren’t a 30 something professional athlete. 

Isn’t that a double edged sword though? Like imagine 4 full weeks of practicing/gameplanning and 4 professional football games then you lose 5 hours of time while preparing for the next game.

I’d say it’s BS to say we only lost because of that but to say it shouldn’t have effected them is a little unfair. 

at minimum those London games should be later in the day

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Too much $$$$ at stake…they want the game in an exclusive window.  Really starting to sour on this league…or continuing to sour on it is more accurate

😂

completely unacceptable making teams play on bad turf on top of concrete from a player safety perspective regardless of everyone’s opinion of jet lag 

Everyone knows what happened to the Tower of Babel. 

8 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The Bills should have flown out earlier - Tuesday evening at the latest. Yes, they were copying other teams that had already flown to Europe but why? When they were the first franchise to be at a disadvantage over their opponent, who had five days on them even if they had flown out Tuesday night. As it is, the Bills sports scientists decided to give them another three days.

Then you’re screwing with your recovery schedule from the game you just played…idk why this point is getting ignored.  You’ve gotta pick what the best of two kind of bad options is for your team.  It’s unquestionably a strategic advantage for the other team by definition.  They are already there and don’t have to make that choice 

I doubt the nfl ever puts a team in that position again. If they want to pull that again it absolutely has to be an away game for the team traveling late…which it would be if they were experimenting to see how a London team would work out 

the experiment didn’t even make sense, if a London team had all their home games in a row to start/end a season they would,you know, be the home team?

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Then you’re screwing with your recovery schedule from the game you just played…idk why this point is getting ignored.  You’ve gotta pick what the best of two kind of bad options is for your team.  It’s unquestionably a strategic advantage for the other team by definition.  They are already there and don’t have to make that choice 

I doubt the nfl ever puts a team in that position again. 

Better to get over to the UK and recover here IMO. Monday and Tuesday still being used for the usual recovery protocol then fly out and do the rest in London.

I agree on the second paragraph. Good old Bills being the "experiment".

58 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It sucks that we were put in that position and losing key guys is going to have lingering effects. Still all these games count as 1. We have to find a way to get that one and we have to stop doing this to ourselves. The Chiefs don’t lose. You just can’t keep writing off games and seasons. No matter how bad KC looks, they finish those games. There are no ugly wins but you can’t lose games that you should have. Week 1 and today, losing either is terrible both is inexcusable 

The Chiefs also get a lot of help from the refs. I know that isn't the only reason but they are treated now like the Patriots were when they had Brady from the refs. They got away with a blatant pass interference in the enzone on a 4th down play at the end of the game today because the "ball was tipped". Replay clearly showed it wasn't tipped. Cousins got hit when he threw it but the ball was never tipped. They got calls at the end of the game last week against the Jets too. Also, has KC ever had 5 guys missing at any time on one side of the ball? It's one thing to lose one player. But 4 or 5?

Edited by Buffalo03

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

These aren’t office jobs. I don’t understand why they need to adjust to the Time zone at all. Act like It’s a 9 am game. Keep the schedule on you time zone. Add some blackout curtains on the hotel windows cater the food at normal meal times. 

I have never been jet lagged.   From 12 years old until now, in my 50s.   I'm not even sure what it feels like.   I planned for it a couple times on business trips, just out of a sense of responsibility.  But nope.

Possibly you and I are in the minority.   Because unless its mass psycho-somatics or something, it must be real.

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.