Friends the Oline has arrived…

78thealltimegreat

9 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

It’s early, but Bernard is certainly playing like a 1st round off the ball linebacker. And those guys don’t usually go first round anymore, but he brings that pass rush ability too.

As long as he’s kept clean and not washed out of the play, he’s really good.  Hopefully, he can get on the Milano train and add some strength without losing speed and we might have something special there.. never in my wildest dreams did I think I’d say that.

You win and lose in the trenches, it was a major reason I kept my expectations lowered going into this season.  I was worried we didn't do enough to address the O-line but apparently Beane and Kromer knew what we had so I'll gladly eat crow on this.  I'm just elated by the way both Offensive and Defensive lines are playing this season.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

They have played really well. Even week 1 against the Jets the problem was definitively NOT the offensive line. Dion is playing his best football in 2 or 3 years, the two guards are significant upgrades on the turnstile and career backup they replaced, Mitch Morse is who he is, and Spencer Brown is more like rookie Spencer Brown where he has some pass pro wobbles but is dominating in the run game than the complete mess he was in 2022. 

It's also been helpful that we have used the 2 TE formation more often, they've helped with chipping at the DE's before they run their route, it's really helped to mask some of Spencer's deficiencies.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I just remember him as an absolute liability when i saw him play.  

Yeah, dawkins has a bit of a frumpy body shape.  But he did come into this year looking more... functionally heavy than just heavy.  Arms look bigger, looks quicker.  

he was curling chipotle burritos in the off season … double fisted

31 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

So… this thread is pointing out how well the offensive line has been playing, and how our 2nd round pick looks like an absolute stud and you’re talking about how we missed on our third round pick? 🤦‍♂️ 

Remember… just a few weeks ago more people than not said our last third round pick was a giant fail. How has that worked out? 

Yup.  He was sitting right there and was the best available for awhile.  It was reminiscent of passing over Creed Humphrey.  And considering they aren't even using Williams at MLB...

Edited by Doc

2 hours ago, Special K said:

Dawkins, who was a question mark coming into the season, has really upped his game to a new level, and O'Cyrus Torrence, who obviously should have been a first round pick, thankfully fell to us in the second round.

These two things have made all the difference in increasing the O-line's performance, IMO.

Possible that Dawkins play last year was down because of trying to help cover for Safford? Roger was good at one time, but by the time he came to Buffalo, he was on fumes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Special K said:

Dawkins, who was a question mark coming into the season, has really upped his game to a new level, and O'Cyrus Torrence, who obviously should have been a first round pick, thankfully fell to us in the second round.

These two things have made all the difference in increasing the O-line's performance, IMO.

No I’m pretty sure it’s because the worst two linemen last year BY FAR either got replaced (Saffold) or have show huge improvements this season (Brown).

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm sure that has everything to do with who is next to him.

The guards on last year's roster were as bad as just about any guard group in Bills history (including 2018).  The lone survivor is Bates, who is now our backup center. 

The top 3 are all newcomers, free agents McGovern & Edwards and draftee Torrence.   The team proved you can't throw anybody in at guard & have any semblance of a decent O-line.  

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

No I’m pretty sure it’s because the worst two linemen last year BY FAR either got replaced (Saffold) or have show huge improvements this season (Brown).

Wrong.

If the Bills only replaced Saffold, and hoped for improvements from Brown, the O-line would still be just treading water.

What really put this O-line over the top was the improved play of Dawkins and the addition of Torrence.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yup.  He was sitting right there and was the best available for awhile.  It was reminiscent of passing over Creed Humphrey.  And considering they aren't even using Williams at MLB...

Okay, so if a post just has the word “draft” in it, positive thread or not, your thoughts go directly to the negative? That’s not great, bud.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Okay, so if a post just has the word “draft” in it, positive thread or not, your thoughts go directly to the negative? That’s not great, bud.  

Not negative per se.  Just an opportunity missed, bud.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not negative per se.  Just an opportunity missed, bud.

Okay, so when people are talking about things they’re jazzed about (and you should be jazzed about as well) you think about missed opportunities? 

Still not great, bud. 

Do you do that in real life too, or just on message boards? 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Okay, so when people are talking about things they’re jazzed about (and you should be jazzed about as well) you think about missed opportunities? 

Still not great, bud. 

Do you do that in real life too, or just on message boards? 

I am extremely jazzed about them drafting O'CT.  It doesn't mean I can't want them to have done better.

And it's a message board, bud.  I can say what I want.

Edited by Doc
  • Haha (+1) 1

A few points about this.

1.  The Bills are committed to running with RB's more this year, that helps keep the DL at bay.

2.  Josh is helping by getting it out faster, 2.5s last year, 2.3s this year.  

3.  Obviously the G position (both of them) have been upgraded.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

AWESOME.. Any word on run block?

Jax sitting at 21. Worse graded OL we'll face other than the Jests

Edit - meant that we've played already

They are getting starting LT Cam Robinson back this week from suspension which may help, although that means the rest of the OLine will be getting shuffled and could cause some issues since it will be a new combo with people in different positions than they have been over the first 4 games.

None of this ***** makes sense lol 

These grades are so highly subjective...

PFF literally made three out of our five lowest graded players against the dolphins our interior line... Morse , McGovern and Torrence was the worst ...

So our three lowest graded players were our interior line... But now PFF is giving us a 100?

I just don't click on anything that has those 3 words

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Special K said:

Wrong.

If the Bills only replaced Saffold, and hoped for improvements from Brown, the O-line would still be just treading water.

What really put this O-line over the top was the improved play of Dawkins and the addition of Torrence.

“The modest improvements at two spots that were already fine has been more important than the massive improvements at the two spots that were huge liabilities.”

Flawless logic 👍

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

“The modest improvements at two spots that were already fine has been more important than the massive improvements at the two spots that were huge liabilities.”

Flawless logic 👍

If you think the line would be this effective without Torrence, then your logic is seriously flawed.

Did you hear Christian Wilkins name once during the Fins game??

When has that ever happened against the Bills??

Who do you think stonewalled him all game??

Edited by Special K
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, McBean said:

When Torrence named got called on draft night, that was the biggest “heck yeah” I yelled on a pick since I dunno when. 

I was so glad he was there in the 2nd when the Bills were on the clock.

All this talk about "position versatility" meant nothing to me.  The Bills needed an anchor at the RG position, and it looks like they got it.

Let the depth have versatility.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

18 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I was so glad he was there in the 2nd when the Bills were on the clock.

All this talk about "position versatility" meant nothing to me.  The Bills needed an anchor at the RG position, and it looks like they got it.

Let the depth have versatility.

I would have genuinely been fine had Torrence been the pick at pick 27. I also would have been find had they traded up in the second to get him. When he was there at pick 59 I thought it was a no brainer. 

The Rams, Falcons, Bucs, Jets and Giants all picked interior offensive linemen in the second round ahead of Torrence. I think many of those teams would easily take Torrence over the players they picked 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I am extremely jazzed about them drafting O'CT.  It doesn't mean I can't want them to have done better.

Yeah, you can say what you want, and I can tell you how I feel about it. 

You just remind me of one of those Debbie downers that can’t be happy with anything. It’s always, “yeah, but we coulda did this too…” or “yeah, but we should’ve done this too…” it’s no way to live imo, but hey, you do you, bud. And I’ll continue to comment on it, cool bud? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

PFF literally made three out of our five lowest graded players against the dolphins our interior line... Morse , McGovern and Torrence was the worst ...

So our three lowest graded players were our interior line... But now PFF is giving us a 100?

This is why I don't trust PFF grades.  Their analytics and hard statistical data is great but their grades are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Multiple OL have stated PFF will not know every responsibility of the lineman.  A play blows up and they guess who was at fault.

Wood specifically mentioned once that he didn't get to his block because when he was pulling, the guard got pushed back so far that he had to reroute around him....making him late to his man.  He was graded negatively on that play but the guard wasn't.  

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Yeah, you can say what you want, and I can tell you how I feel about it. 

You just remind me of one of those Debbie downers that can’t be happy with anything. It’s always, “yeah, but we coulda did this too…” or “yeah, but we should’ve done this too…” it’s no way to live imo, but hey, you do you, bud. And I’ll continue to comment on it, cool bud? 

Feel free to ignore me, bud.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

don't let SDS see that. I got banned from shoutbox when I thought the same thing.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Rewatch the 4th quarter of the fins game Tony Romo was literally comparing Cyrus to Zach Martin basically saying after the Cowboys drafted him holes appeared that weren’t there before. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.