A Few Thoughts About the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Just building off of #1-I know we are all loving the more patient, take what they give you Josh, but that one pass to Cook was just an outstanding play. Josh extended that play, cook read it perfectly, and Josh dropped it into his lap so easily. When Josh takes what is given to him, it’s going to open up those spectacular, only Josh can make that type of plays 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

22 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Just building off of #1-I know we are all loving the more patient, take what they give you Josh, but that one pass to Cook was just an outstanding play. Josh extended that play, cook read it perfectly, and Josh dropped it into his lap so easily. When Josh takes what is given to him, it’s going to open up those spectacular, only Josh can make that type of plays 

Forgot that one

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

9 - We don't pay attention (proceeds to pay attention) - Mic drop moment number two of the day was when Josh left the post game podium.  A reported baited Josh into making a statement to all his doubters or trash talkers about the Bills so far this season.  Josh just said "nope" and walked away.  In a "and I took that personally" moment, Diggs was not going to be denied in this game and proceed to make his 🤔 face every chance he got.  Even Josh got in on it.  These guys can tell you they don't track on what we say in the media, but you can tell since Week 1 that Josh has a chip on his shoulder.  Diggs wasn't going to let anyone on the team forget that the Dolphins didn't like the spread for this game.  Yet with all this hype, as great teams do, they stood up, proved it on the field, then walked off without saying a word.  This is personal for these guys and I'm absolutely here for it.

Go Bills!!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

Even more amazing was that he could have thrown to Knox and got about the same amount of yardage. 

Absolutely great write up. That’s the team I saw, too. Whatever happens in the rest of the season, they are that team. They could still be brought low by injuries or bad luck, but this is the most mature team I have seen from the Bills in  three decades.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

He was asked what adjustments he made, and McD said something to the effect of "I didn't change anything, the guys just had to settle into the game."  I'm going to reach and exaggerate here.  What I heard was "Listen here mother *****, my defensive game plan was air tight and my guys couldn't figure it out at first.

I said in the game thread both of the first two drives were great defensive scheme and play calls. We got our hands on a few balls and made Tua go past his first read. The players just didn't take advantage of those opportunities at first. Once they did, the defensive onslaught began.

I have criticized both McDermott and Dorsey at various times over the past couple years. This was by far the best coached game either one of them have ever had.

P.S. This was your best "Few Thoughts" yet. Thank you for doing these whenever the mood strikes.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

3 - Shoulda coulda woulda - I know there's some that don't like to talk about the "almost" plays because they happen in every game and go both ways.  For me, this game was different because they only went against the Bills, and I mean that in a scary good way.  Bernard didn't intercept a tipped ball.  Shakir dropped a touchdown pass.  Tre (we'll miss you) dropped a pick 6.  The Dolphins recovered a fumble that had Bills all around it.  All of these plays could have led to even more points or the Bills, and we still put up 48 points.  That's absolutely terrifying for opposing teams. 

Yes, in spite of the resounding blowout the Bills still left some meat on the bone.

This O-line and Defense is the best of the McDermott era which means that this is the best Bills team of the McDermott era,,, better than the 13 seconds team for sure.

6 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

...when Romo said "just throw it away"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

4 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

...when Romo said "just throw it away"

I was thinking the same thing. Didn't see Cook at the time.

Virgil, not only were the Bills on point in all facets of the game Sunday, but you followed that up with your best "no particular order" ever. Drop the Mic on this thread!

Thank you for your time, effort, and results each and every week. For most of us here at TBD, we can't move on to the next game until you and @Shaw66 (The Rockpile Review) give us the wrap-up. Thank you both.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I agree for the most part except when you say great read by Cook.  It's not that it was a bad read by Cook and he did do a great job, but I think the read was Josh's.  I noticed on the replay that as Josh is rolling to the right and Cook is standing on the sideline, Josh waves with his left hand to Cook to signal him to go downfield.  Just a great play.

• Agree 1

2. I agree and would add one other play...the play just before this one.  The Bills had some good success early running the ball on first down.  Then the Dolphins tightened up and these turned to two yard gains or no gains.  I said to my wife, "I get it, you want to show that you're willing to run on first down, but you don't have to do it EVERY time" after they ran it on first for what seemed like the 50th time in a row.  Right after I said it was the play action pass to Davis and he was WIDE open.  It was a "bad" throw by Josh that I think was smart.  You don't want to overthrow the pass and by making it a short safe pass it may prevent Davis from getting the touchdown but, at that point, even running the clock and kicking a field goal would have been devastating to Miami.  Anyway, Miami was clearly loading up to stop the run and Dorsey burned them.  It's amazing what that run threat can do.

7.  Other than probably a stubborn few, we all agree that Bernard has been amazing.  What I am also starting to notice is how well they play together in a way that I never saw with Edmunds.  They just seem to be in absolute lock step and Bernard has made Milano better.

Great write up as always and have a great time in London.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, fergie's ire said:

2. I agree and would add one other play...the play just before this one.  The Bills had some good success early running the ball on first down.  Then the Dolphins tightened up and these turned to two yard gains or no gains.  I said to my wife, "I get it, you want to show that you're willing to run on first down, but you don't have to do it EVERY time" after they ran it on first for what seemed like the 50th time in a row.  Right after I said it was the play action pass to Davis and he was WIDE open.  It was a "bad" throw by Josh that I think was smart.  You don't want to overthrow the pass and by making it a short safe pass it may prevent Davis from getting the touchdown but, at that point, even running the clock and kicking a field goal would have been devastating to Miami.  Anyway, Miami was clearly loading up to stop the run and Dorsey burned them.  It's amazing what that run threat can do.

7.  Other than probably a stubborn few, we all agree that Bernard has been amazing.  What I am also starting to notice is how well they play together in a way that I never saw with Edmunds.  They just seem to be in absolute lock step and Bernard has made Milano better.

Two excellent points and spot on 

One big difference between McD and Frazier I have noticed this year is that the Bills don't play softer on D when they get big leads until the game is well in hand mid 4th quarter...they still are attacking.  Likely why we are seeing the Bills blowing the doors off teams instead of watching them build huge leads only to see the other team mount comebacks in the 2nd half like last year and make the games way closer than they should have been.  

That soft as a stick of butter in the microwave coverage Frazier liked to employ used to get picked apart and lead to easy scores for other teams too often last year...not this year.  There is no easy drive against this team. When the Bills get the lead it's turning into a 4th quarter rest for the starters most games.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

The only thing that sucked about this game was the injury to Tre otherwise it was a perfect day. After the first two drives the Bills defense made nice adjustments and held the Fins to 6 points the rest of the way. To hold them to 20 is about as well as you can expect. The offense was on fire all day. Nothing else needs to be said.

2 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

The fumble the Bills recovered on Mostert's 2nd fumble was setup by Bernard...he came flying in and forced Mostert to cut back into the D by exploding into the backfield through a gap and then Milano hit him a split second after and caused the ball to come out...but Bernard made that play.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, BMWR100RT said:

"I don't pretend to know what happens behind the scenes, but this game was an absolute clinic to where Dorsey stole Fangio's lunch and then ate it right in front of him."

This. I always love your write-ups. Thanks and have fun across the pond.  

Dorsey to Fangio:

3 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Bernard already looks like he has command of the defense, just a handful of games into his first season as a starter.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Virgil said:

3 - Shoulda coulda woulda - I know there's some that don't like to talk about the "almost" plays because they happen in every game and go both ways.  For me, this game was different because they only went against the Bills, and I mean that in a scary good way.  Bernard didn't intercept a tipped ball.  Shakir dropped a touchdown pass.  Tre (we'll miss you) dropped a pick 6.  The Dolphins recovered a fumble that had Bills all around it.  All of these plays could have led to even more points or the Bills, and we still put up 48 points.  That's absolutely terrifying for opposing teams. 

Don't forget that Waddle caught that pass that was tipped up for a near INT, I was like, "really is this the way the ball is going to bounce today?". It was reminiscent of I think the Baltimore game last year where everything was bouncing the Ravens way.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The fumble the Bills recovered on Mostert's 2nd fumble was setup by Bernard...he came flying in and forced Mostert to cut back into the D by exploding into the backfield through a gap and then Milano hit him a split second after and caused the ball to come out...but Bernard made that play.

Yes, that was one of the plays that I was thinking of that I had seen broken down.  The two are just working so well together.

23 hours ago, Virgil said:

Every team has that statement game of the season, and for a variety of different reasons.  One might be to announce that they found their QB, or establish their defense, or maybe to just confirm that they were total crap.  For both the Dolphins and Bills, each team were getting the national spotlight to make a statement about what direction each were heading in and it paid off for one of them.  Have the Bills really gotten on track after a pathetic opening night loss to the hapless Jets?  Did the Dolphins just beat up on crap defenses or were they ready to take command of the AFC East and possibly conference?  Josh Allen, Dorsey, and McD have entered the chat.

1 - Allen - I've been waiting since week one to write this thought and am glad it came this soon.  No, the Dolphins don't have a world beater defense.  But they do have an offense that can make you feel like you have to score on every single drive to keep up.  With a 2.5 game division lead on the line, all the media hype about the Dolphins having a transcending offense, and questions about the Bills offense, this was a week where you might expect to see an overhyped Josh force the ball, take dumb hits, and turn the ball over.  What did we get instead?  Probably Josh's best game since the Patriots perfect game and 13 seconds.  Josh was the perfect combination of pocket, mobile, accurate, and careful.  The best throw of the game wasn't even a completion (thanks Shakir).  His second best throw was an absolute strike to Davis for the games first touchdown.  Most Qb's would put some air under that ball.  Not Josh though.  Josh through an absolute rope that hit Davis perfectly in his outstretched arms.   Seriously, I don't even know what else there is to say besides 158.3   Josh was perfect and showed you exactly what this offense was capable of.

2 - Dorsey - While the game was firm in hand, Josh kept the ball on a RPO, Dawkins swung to the right side, and Josh walked cleanly into the end zone from 11 yards out.  While it might be a simple play, it was the checkmate in Dorsey's game of chess against the Dolphins.  I made a comment earlier in the game thread about being surprised at that lack of designed runs for Josh.  On that touchdown run, I was like the DiCaprio meme pointing at the TV saying "there it is."  This game was Dorsey's statement game after one and a quarter seasons.  His game plan was masterful.  Every play was either a success or setup a future play.  I don't pretend to know what happens behind the scenes, but this game was an absolute clinic to where Dorsey stole Fangio's lunch and then ate it right in front of him.

4 - Well someone trying to tell me where it's at,

And how I do this and why I do that,

With secret smiles like a Chesire cat,

And little wings like a vampire bat,

I fly away to my cold water flat and eat my way to a bone of fat,

And I say to the man with the funny hat,

5 - Mic Drop - I'm probably reading too much into this, but I felt like McD made the most passive aggressive mic drop comment with a reporter regarding his defense.  He was asked what adjustments he made, and McD said something to the effect of "I didn't change anything, the guys just had to settle into the game."  I'm going to reach and exaggerate here.  What I heard was "Listen here mother *****, my defensive game plan was air tight and my guys couldn't figure it out at first.  Once they did after two drives, we shut down the "best" offense in the league and were done with this game at half time.  The only thing McD could have done more in that moment was rip his shirt off, finish the beers that Diggs opened, and slapped McDaniels in the face.  This defense was spectacular.  Think about this; after the first two drives, we gave up one long run that led to 6 points.  That's in the entire final 3 quarters against an offense that just put up 70.  Oh yeah, we didn't have Poyer, lost Tre and still didn't skip a beat.  Seeing Waddle and Hill on the sidelines, absolutely dejected in the 4th quarter was BillsMafia porn.  Also, why was Tua still out there and those guys were benched?

6 - Second read - Let me preface by saying that Tua has genuinely impressed me and, if he can stay healthy, is going to get rightfully paid this offseason.  With that being said, McD put a dunce cap on him and made Tua sit in the corner for most of this game.  All week, all we heard about is the way McDaniels creates space and Tua gets the ball out in 2 seconds or less.  All McD did was predict that first read, cover it, and watch as Tua fell apart.  For those comparing Tua to Josh coming into this game, you saw the biggest difference between them in real time.  You come at Josh, you disrupt a play, then Josh shows you the man he is.  Tua loses his first read and things don't go to plan and you get sacks, interceptions, 0-3 on fourth down, and other mistakes.  Again, Tua has accomplished too much to call him a fluke.  But I don't think it's a huge stretch to say that he is a system quarterback in a highly effective offensive system.  His next step will be to get where Josh is when a play breaks down or he needs to progress to his third read.  

7 - The No Man's Land known as Milano and Bernard - While we did get some sacks and had a strong defensive performance, there are some guys who may not have showed up on the stat sheet.  First up is Milano.  I'm staring to think he has those wheelies installed in his cleats.  Milano and Bernard play ridiculously fast and cover the middle of the field in a way that we haven't seen in a long time.  Milano covered the edges like a man possessed.  Bernard won't get credit for the interception, but he made Tua throw high and right into the hands of Hyde.  Both of them blitzed at times and created great pressure.

8 - Depth - Going against a team that can throw the ball over the field to track starts, you would think missing your All-pro safety in Poyer, losing Tre for the year mid-game, Johnson and Benford both leaving with injuries (both did return) would create some noticeable gaps in our defense.  Nope.  That's a hard nope.  In fact, Jackson taped down the Nope button when he entered the game by laying a huge hit on a receiver in the flat.  If I didn't let you see player names, you wouldn't think we were missing anyone on our defense.  It's crazy how efficient this team is in that regard.  Losing White sucks, but I have complete faith in Benford and Jackson, with Elam on the bench.  Rapp played great in this game and we will get Poyer back.  Not to mention, Murray did a great job in his limited snaps to hurt the Dolphins defensive line.  Oh, by the way, we get a guy named Von Miller back soon.  I mean, come on now....

9 - We don't pay attention (proceeds to pay attention) - Mic drop moment number two of the day was when Josh left the post game podium.  A reported baited Josh into making a statement to all his doubters or trash talkers about the Bills so far this season.  Josh just said "nope" and walked away.  In a "and I took that personally" moment, Diggs was not going to be denied in this game and proceed to make his 🤔 face every chance he got.  Even Josh got in on it.  These guys can tell you they don't track on what we say in the media, but you can tell since Week 1 that Josh has a chip on his shoulder.  Diggs wasn't going to let anyone on the team forget that the Dolphins didn't like the spread for this game.  Yet with all this hype, as great teams do, they stood up, proved it on the field, then walked off without saying a word.  This is personal for these guys and I'm absolutely here for it.

10 - Enjoy this - Three straight games now, the Bills have been able to sit their starters in the 4th quarter.  We have won all three by an average of 30 points.  For those wondering when McD was going to prove his defensive expertise, or when Dorsey would prove as a worthy successor to Daboll, or when all this draft capitol spent on DB or D-Line depth would pay off, I present to you the 2023 Bills.  I will say this, and then my BBFS take over.  There is not a better team in the AFC right now than the Buffalo Bills and they can absolutely win the whole thing based off what we've seen so far.  Yes, Mahomes still exists and the 49ers are a strange running team that has a great defense, but these Bills are probably the best roster and performing team since McD got here.  And I say this as someone who was ready to jump off a bridge after week one.  I don't know what will happen next week or for the rest of the season, and injuries can happen, but this team is capable of great things.

Lastly, shout out to Knox for his angry run.  Something about seeing Knox plant a man into the stadium foundation just moves me.

I'm off to London.  Hope you all have a great week and see some of you across the pond.

Go Bills!!!!

Home run Virgil!

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.