Week 4, Bills favored by 3 over Dolphins

Chaos

1 hour ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I really hope the Bills blitz every play and knock Tua into next month. They will be rolling into Buffalo cocky as hell, I want them to go back to Miami in a body bag

While blitzing every play is probably not a recipe for success, I can appreciate the enthusiasm in this post. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I really hope the Bills blitz every play and knock Tua into next month. They will be rolling into Buffalo cocky as hell, I want them to go back to Miami in a body bag

He has the fastest time to throw in the league so far this year. I don’t know what his stats look like against the blitz but I’d reckon they’re pretty darn good.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

He has the fastest time to throw in the league so far this year. I don’t know what his stats look like against the blitz but I’d reckon they’re pretty darn good.

The key to beating Miami is to continue down the path of the 4 man rush with a lot of disguised coverage. Blitzing a guy getting the ball out in under 2.5 seconds with the fastest weapons in the league at his disposal is a recipe for disaster 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Absolutely.. we’re watching a different game now that’s just not quite as good. 

I actually got a little sick watching that remembering things like Johnny Knox getting broken in half. The changes to the rules that they’ve made are the right moves, even if it sterilizes the experience a bit. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The key to beating Miami is to continue down the path of the 4 man rush with a lot of disguised coverage. Blitzing a guy getting the ball out in under 2.5 seconds with the fastest weapons in the league at his disposal is a recipe for disaster 

No need. Rush 4, cover their 5 targets with 7. 

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

OT: this came on my feed today. I get the injury concerns is part of why rules changed, but yes I miss this football.

I do not MISS it, no.

Was it incredibly entertaining at the time?  Like watching the '90s Knicks against anyone else in the East? Yes, of course. Like watching the '80s Sabres brawl with the Bruins? Penalty boxes absolutely bulging with humanity? Hell yeah. 

I wasn't cognizant enough to remember the amazing violence and gladiatorial brutality of defense (and the heightened, epic beauty of downfield offensive breakthroughs) 70s bloodsport football.

Was it irresponsible and salaciously exploitative? Obviously. Probably why it was so narcotically appealing. The era of head-hunting and otherwise overtly violent collisions visited upon offensive skill players who dared go downfield or over the middle was potentially a reflection of the times. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I do not MISS it, no.

Was it incredibly entertaining at the time?  Like watching the '90s Knicks against anyone else in the East? Yes, of course. Like watching the '80s Sabres brawl with the Bruins? Penalty boxes absolutely bulging with humanity? Hell yeah. 

I wasn't cognizant enough to remember the amazing violence and gladiatorial brutality of defense (and the heightened, epic beauty of downfield offensive breakthroughs) 70s bloodsport football.

Was it irresponsible and salaciously exploitative? Obviously. Probably why it was so narcotically appealing. The era of head-hunting and otherwise overtly violent collisions visited upon offensive skill players who dared go downfield or over the middle was potentially a reflection of the times. 

In other words, it was actual football.

This era of coddling offense has cheapened the game.

What do I mean? Dan Marino's numbers are FAR FAR FAAAR more impressive than those Brady or Manning put up, because he had to contend with defenses that were actually allowed to defend.

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

3 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

No need. Rush 4, cover their 5 targets with 7. 

I think what's not being talked about enough is the Miami schemes and motion. They are very creative and create mismatches and perhaps confusion. Couple that with their speed, a competent run game, and Tua's ability to throw quickly.  That's a tough problem for any defense. 

I'm no defensive coordinator but last year I saw the Charger D dominant the Miami O. Their DBs were very physical at the line of scrimmage. Bumped the Miami WRs continuously. I don't think the Bills have the personell to do this effectively. 

Secondly, I think you have to clog the middle of the field. Make Tua beat you outside the numbers. Easier said then done with the best 1-2 WR in the league. 

Thirdly, the Bills have to tackle. Miami lives off of the YAC. A missed tackle can lead to a TD. The Miami explosiveness at the skill positions is off the charts. 

I'm really looking forward to this game. It has so many interesting facts. What kind of Allen do the Bills get? Can the Bills D rattle Tua and create some turnovers? Cook vs Mosert usage and productivity could be crucial to each offense. Fangio defense? McD vs McDaniels? 

Great early test for both teams. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

NFL Week 4 Picks From the MMQB Staff: Dolphins Visit Bills in AFC East Showdown

It’s Week 4! The Dolphins were the biggest story in the NFL last week, putting up 70 points against the Broncos. Now they face a tougher test with a visit to Buffalo for a divisional showdown against the Bills. Meanwhile, can Denver bounce back with a trip to Chicago to face the also-winless Bears? 

www.si.com

mmqb-week-4-staff-picks-2023.webp

8 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Maybe the answer is to rush three in that case, drop eight, and jam the receivers to disrupt the timing. At least every once in a while. Not easy to throw into a flooded zone. 

27 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Maybe rush 2-3? A few times, anti blitz

tuia releases in 2 sec

play 8 off and have extra to bang hill at line

Sorry, I didn't read your post before saying the same thing. 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I think what's not being talked about enough is the Miami schemes and motion. They are very creative and create mismatches and perhaps confusion. Couple that with their speed, a competent run game, and Tua's ability to throw quickly.  That's a tough problem for any defense. 

I'm no defensive coordinator but last year I saw the Charger D dominant the Miami O. Their DBs were very physical at the line of scrimmage. Bumped the Miami WRs continuously. I don't think the Bills have the personell to do this effectively. 

Secondly, I think you have to clog the middle of the field. Make Tua beat you outside the numbers. Easier said then done with the best 1-2 WR in the league. 

Thirdly, the Bills have to tackle. Miami lives off of the YAC. A missed tackle can lead to a TD. The Miami explosiveness at the skill positions is off the charts. 

I'm really looking forward to this game. It has so many interesting facts. What kind of Allen do the Bills get? Can the Bills D rattle Tua and create some turnovers? Cook vs Mosert usage and productivity could be crucial to each offense. Fangio defense? McD vs McDaniels? 

Great early test for both teams. 

Yeah their motions are fast and tight.  I seen some plays that were runs and the ball fooled me watching from a good side view camera angle.  I had to watch twice lol. I can't imagine being a defender and trying to see that from a pile of people view.

Elam is in the dog house but he is a good defender for this because he has speed and he is pretty sticky. Thats his skill set.  I doubt he is active though.  Next best thing is maintaining tight zone coverage.  Not Edmunds zone coverage where he stands in a spot staring at the QB while the receiver just moves past him from behind and Edmunds doesnt move until after the receiver catches the ball.  It needs to be tight.  Tackling is going to be key. They have to keep in front of them and tackle at the point of catch.  Miami thrives off 10-15 yard plays over the middle with YAC after that.  Middle of the line needs to get good push.  Make Tua move.  Anything that disrupts the timing where he has to hold the ball.  Thats where his mistakes come.  They are not good at off script stuff.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

OT: this came on my feed today. I get the injury concerns is part of why rules changed, but yes I miss this football.

If rules that eliminates some of these violent shots saves one player from life in a wheelchair or on a ventilator, the league has made the right decision. It hasn't made the game any less entertaining, just safer for these young guys who are already exposing themselves to potential injury every down.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

If rules that eliminates some of these violent shots saves one player from life in a wheelchair or on a ventilator, the league has made the right decision. It hasn't made the game any less entertaining, just safer for these young guys who are already exposing themselves to potential injury every down.

From a safety standpoint the rule changes are good.  I said that in my initial post. Back in those days though when you saw a big hit jar a ball lose on what would have been a big play... it was pretty exciting. Nowadays you fart in the direction of the receiver wrong and its a 15 yard penalty on top of the catch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

From a safety standpoint the rule changes are good.  I said that in my initial post. Back in those days though when you saw a big hit jar a ball lose on what would have been a big play... it was pretty exciting. Nowadays you fart in the direction of the receiver wrong and its a 15 yard penalty on top of the catch.

I don't disagree that there's an element of excitement for violence. Watching auto racing we love big pile up or a good fight in a hockey game.  But, unless you're a sociopath, you hope the participants don't suffer a debilitating injury. With the level of protection Nascar drivers have, there's probably less chance of injury in a major crash than a WR who gets blindsided by a human projectile. 

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

Maybe rush 2-3? A few times, anti blitz

tuia releases in 2 sec

play 8 off and have extra to bang hill at line

They do have a running game, unfortunately.  I prefer the approach of dropping AJE and/or Rousseau into the middle lanes and rushing Taron and/or Milano in their stead so we still have 4 up front.

The key to our D is to disrupt Tua’s timing. Yeah, you could say that about any QB but especially Tua because he’s the ultimate game manager. What I mean is McDaniels is scheming guys wide open and Tua is throwing to a spot with anticipation. Only when he comes off his first read does he really survey the defense to see who’s open. If you can get him off his first read, he’s not an off script guy.

Easier said than done. McDaniels has done a brilliant job of using motion and routes to make space for guys to get wide open. Dorsey should take some pointers from this guy - you don’t see 2 receivers in the same spot all the time and the motion is very effective. 

I think the best way to disrupt this is to blow up the gaps, especially Oliver and Jones in the A/B gaps. I’m sure we are going to see a lot of simulated pressures but if we can win off the snap and just get in Tua’s face, his timing will be disrupted, hopefully enough to disrupt the throw to his first read.

I doubt Tua is going to take many sacks with his 2.4 second time to throw, but if you make him second guess what he’s seeing he might. The pressure needs to come from the interior, the DE’s coming around the tackles won’t have enough time. So, they should rush contained, ready to defend the run and get their hands up. Send the heat from the interior and play zone for the most part. We can’t run with these receivers, Trey has lost a step, Poyer looks a step slower and Benford is an instinctive zone defender. It’s their bread and butter.

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, WV Fin Phan said:

The thread debating whether Tua should have gone back in was epic at FH.  Many posters wanted to skin McDaniel alive.  Others pointed out that Tua passed the concussion tests at halftime and leading up to the Cincy debacle.  There were some who said they suffered from back spasms and said they’ve fallen in similar fashion when their back seized up.  

It was just a shove, but it was 100% late.  Tua being unbalanced didn’t help anything.  I don’t think Milano is dirty but he’s  one of those players it’s easy to dislike.  Would I want him on my team?  Hell yeah.  The Dolphins with Milano, JFC.

Can’t wait for Sunday.  I think the pressure is on the Bills.  

And there are some who suffered from back spasms who said their reaction is nothing similar to Tua's

"Easy player to dislike" GTFO

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I watched Mia last two games on recap. 

achane , Mostert , waddle and hill are so deadly. Can take it to the house any play 

mia D LOOKS better than last year. Long and baker and holland terrify me. 

This is not your Flores / shulas dolphins folks. Best mia team I’ve ever seen. 

That being said it’s all mcdaniel. I don’t think tua has any really wow plays (LAC he had good some dimes). He’s a distributor. 

all on Allen and the offense to ball control and score every drive. Need to be super scoring efficient 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

The key to our D is to disrupt Tua’s timing. Yeah, you could say that about any QB but especially Tua because he’s the ultimate game manager. What I mean is McDaniels is scheming guys wide open and Tua is throwing to a spot with anticipation. Only when he comes off his first read does he really survey the defense to see who’s open. If you can get him off his first read, he’s not an off script guy.

Easier said than done. McDaniels has done a brilliant job of using motion and routes to make space for guys to get wide open. Dorsey should take some pointers from this guy - you don’t see 2 receivers in the same spot all the time and the motion is very effective. 

I think the best way to disrupt this is to blow up the gaps, especially Oliver and Jones in the A/B gaps. I’m sure we are going to see a lot of simulated pressures but if we can win off the snap and just get in Tua’s face, his timing will be disrupted, hopefully enough to disrupt the throw to his first read.

I doubt Tua is going to take many sacks with his 2.4 second time to throw, but if you make him second guess what he’s seeing he might. The pressure needs to come from the interior, the DE’s coming around the tackles won’t have enough time. So, they should rush contained, ready to defend the run and get their hands up. Send the heat from the interior and play zone for the most part. We can’t run with these receivers, Trey has lost a step, Poyer looks a step slower and Benford is an instinctive zone defender. It’s their bread and butter.

This sounds good, but is this what Belicheck did?  Do what he did.  I repeat myself:  do what he did.  JA17 and friends will put up 30 plus.  One more time:  do what he did.

15 hours ago, WideNine said:

Valid point - it could have been something Dorsey and the offensive staff saw they could exploit specifically with Washington.

If it is a lack of confidence having Kincaid as a blocker on running plays... then that is something they will need to address to keep defenses guessing.

Kincaid is still hit-n-miss as a run blocker.  Sherfield is a good downfield run blocker.

The whole thing is being overblown though.   Like I said, one of the differences between the snap counts in the Jets vs Raiders vs Washington game is that some starters got taken out - something like 10% of the Raiders snaps and 15% of the Commanders snaps.  So a certain amount of this "tell" is Kincaid sitting on the bench for the final drives of the game, along with the other starters.

The 11 play 4Q TD drive against the Raiders was 8 runs, 3 passes.  9 play 4Q TD drive against the Commanders was 9 runs, 0 passes. 

I hope that situation arises vs the Dolphins, and if it does, I don't think the Phins will need Kincaid as a "tell" to guess that the Bills are going to try to run it.

bau2fepixnveww3nhjs3.png

Drew Bledsoe announced as the Bills Legend of the Game against Miami

eoklxsaenrda14lj1zhz.jpg

Drew Bledsoe will be the Bills Legend of the Game for Buffalo's 1 p.m. contest against the Miami Dolphins this Sunday. Bledsoe is excited to return to the stadium where his NFL career began.

Initially drafted as a Patriot, Bledsoe made his debut against Buffalo in 1993 before the Bills traded a first-round pick to acquire the star quarterback from New England in 2003.

"Coming back into that stadium and having the fans welcome me rather than boo the crap out of me was great," Bledsoe said. "Loved it. We just, very quickly, fell in love with everything about Western New York and especially being a part of the Bills."

One of Bledsoe's favorite memories about his time in Buffalo was the passion and respect of Bills Mafia.

buffalobills.com

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ga boy said:

This sounds good, but is this what Belicheck did?  Do what he did.  I repeat myself:  do what he did.  JA17 and friends will put up 30 plus.  One more time:  do what he did.

This is great in theory but a lot of what allowed the Pats to have success against the dolphins O was having Gonazlez at the line jamming hill on a lot of plays, throwing off timing and taking away first reads. We dont have that guy (Elam, MAYBE?) so I would assume we wont be using the script. 

42 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I really hope we get Kincaid more involved in the passing game.... 

For frame of reference, Kincaid is on pace to finish the year as the 5th most ever receptions from a rookie TE...on a team where he is TE 1A/TE 2. People need to relax a bit with his usage. He will get high volume games. The offense has been just fine so far. 

Just now, JaCrispy said:

Any word on uniforms for the game?

Hoping for anything but all blues…👍

Blue tops, white panties 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

bau2fepixnveww3nhjs3.png

Drew Bledsoe announced as the Bills Legend of the Game against Miami

eoklxsaenrda14lj1zhz.jpg

Drew Bledsoe will be the Bills Legend of the Game for Buffalo's 1 p.m. contest against the Miami Dolphins this Sunday. Bledsoe is excited to return to the stadium where his NFL career began.

Initially drafted as a Patriot, Bledsoe made his debut against Buffalo in 1993 before the Bills traded a first-round pick to acquire the star quarterback from New England in 2003.

"Coming back into that stadium and having the fans welcome me rather than boo the crap out of me was great," Bledsoe said. "Loved it. We just, very quickly, fell in love with everything about Western New York and especially being a part of the Bills."

One of Bledsoe's favorite memories about his time in Buffalo was the passion and respect of Bills Mafia.

buffalobills.com

Bledsoe is selling his wine at the Roycroft on Friday if you have an extra $110 kicking around. 

https://roycroftinn.com/event/drew-bledsoe-wine-pairing-dinner/

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.