Do You Still "TRUST THE PROCESS"?

HIT BY SPIKES

I’ll reserve my right to answer this until the end of the season. Bengals started out 4-4 last year. Chiefs dropped their first game to the freakin Lions. Let’s see if they can rebound. I doubt the Jets will go far with Zach Wilson. We’ll most likely have to split a head to head tie breaker with Miami for the division. 

I was done with McDermott when I witnessed him butcher 13 seconds.  Since then he's been getting a pass by at least 60% of this fan base.  Time for processes are over. The culture has been established.  But organizational mistakes both with personnel and game day calls has set this team back.  Good coaching matters. Until this ownership hires a dynamic offensive minded HC it will be rinse & repeat. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

I always attempt to show some restraint not to over react to just one game negatively or positively however the pattern is pretty obvious now.

13 seconds

Bengals Play-offs' earlier this year

Last night (name to follow)

We find ways to lose.

I appreciate to the fans who have lived through the dark ages post-Jimbo have an admiration for this current Bills regime for getting us back into the play-offs on a regular basis, securing a true franchise QB and bringing Buffalo Proud back to the Buffalo Bills fandom.

I get that.

"Saviours" may be too highly a label to bestow upon this regime given Terry Pegula already took that title for first buying the Buffalo Sabres and then the Buffalo Bills and securing their futures in Buffalo.

I also get that.

However:

(1) Does Sean McDermott have what it takes to win the biggest games?  

(2) Sean McDermott is said to be a defensive minded coach and has been there for a number of years banging the table for an one sided investment of high draft picks, salary cap and free agency pursuits into the defensive side of the ball yet our defence and special teams continue to collapse in pivotal times of key games.  Why?

(3) Is Beane's inability to build an average NFL OL to give our franchise QB an extra 1/4 second to scan the field before making a decision to pass, run or throw the ball away or to allow us to run the ball successfully when we have a 10 point lead a fundamental obstacle to this regimes ability to finally deliver us a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Championship?

(4) Do you still TRUST THE PROCESSTM?

No!

Idk about the process but sometimes I think McD is fundamentally different, philosophically and temperamentally, than his stars on offence, who are high strung and sometimes overly aggressive. I wonder whether some of his in game decisions can have an adverse effect on momentum. I could be wrong but I didn’t agree with the decision to decline the 10 yard penalty in favour of forcing a fourth down and field goal attempt. To me it shows a lack of appreciation of the risk/reward profile. The most likely outcome if you accept the call is that the field goal attempt must negotiate a longer distance. Maybe doesn’t mean that much given the field position but I’d take it. After that there is probably as much a chance of a TO than there is of Wilson being able to accomplish a long third down conversion. This is Wilson, not Arod. Those three points were given away and they wound up being important. 

I never really did, but I have no choice but to be along for the ride as I have no power to change anything. If I were running this team I would have brought in some players with a nasty edge in the offseason, process be damned.  This team lacks violence and swagger outside of Milano. Nobody is scared to play the Bills.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This has been the second best run of bills success in my lifetime. Last night sucked and it could come back to haunt us at the end of the season. 

but some of you need Xanax. 

I just think many can see the writing on the wall sort of speak. 

Of course we Bills fans will hope for the best and still cling to the idea of winning it all. 

As each season passes under this regime it seemingly looks like that's not going to happen. At the very least blown opportunities to reach their goal. Yesterday was a blunt illustration of this. 

That's how I feel and i don't need a xanax either. 

3 hours ago, MPL said:

I think the process was just a 5-year-plan to turn the team around, which it did. But now we're in year 6 and there is no process anymore. 

Makes sense.

We don't want the Bills to ultra-processed like a hot dog or a frozen meal.

https://www.prevention.com/food-nutrition/a42790639/what-are-ultra-processed-foods/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=arb_ga_pre_md_pmx_ca_urlx_20300231468&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmICoBhDxARIsABXkXlJFSYhO9TzG0GdCKdy5X2OiEGY6mmio3_pjYTX2kbbGGpmPGQUWoYcaAhJeEALw_wcB

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This has been the second best run of bills success in my lifetime. Last night sucked and it could come back to haunt us at the end of the season. 

but some of you need Xanax. 

Can I have a bunch from your personal supply so I can get comfortably numb for Bills games?

3 hours ago, MPL said:

I think the process was just a 5-year-plan to turn the team around, which it did. But now we're in year 6 and there is no process anymore. 

Like Soviet 5-year plans? In that case, we should have sandbagged it for 2 years to get the plan lowered and then stormed for a year to achieve the 5-year plan in 3. I mean, it creates massive supply chain bottlenecks, but who cares as long as the factory manager gets a dacha?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I was done with McDermott when I witnessed him butcher 13 seconds.  Since then he's been getting a pass by at least 60% of this fan base.  Time for processes are over. The culture has been established.  But organizational mistakes both with personnel and game day calls has set this team back.  Good coaching matters. Until this ownership hires a dynamic offensive minded HC it will be rinse & repeat. 

I've been saying this for two years. No need for pats on the back here.

I'm just pleased others are finally starting to see it too. 

57 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I never really did, but I have no choice but to be along for the ride as I have no power to change anything. If I were running this team I would have brought in some players with a nasty edge in the offseason, process be damned.  This team lacks violence and swagger outside of Milano. Nobody is scared to play the Bills.

Soft is a good word to use. 

I got crucified for comparing this team to the Chargers. How ironic after week one both teams indeed couldn't finish their games. 

I’m in the minority but I stopped trusting the process in the snow game year 1 when McDermott didn’t go for it deep in Indi territory on 4th and 1 in a game they had to win because a tie results in no playoff and he punted the ball. Guy has been the same conservative loser since he took over and he still hasn’t learned a god dam thing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not For Long is a truism in the league

i'm not going to overreact to one game but there's legitimate concern  over the last couple yrs imo that the organization, starting w the FO on down, is getting stagnant when you look at it holistically from draft, roster construction, staff, contracts etc

you have to stay relevant by innovating and that may not be our strong suit

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

As much as Jerry Jones is too directly hands on and he is just a wart of a human being, his passion to win can never be questioned.

Would Jerry Jones tolerate the big game losses the Bills have taken over the past few years without doing something?

Jones hasn’t exactly won big with Prescott… Like Allen, he hasn’t won a Conference Title or a SB

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

I always attempt to show some restraint not to over react to just one game negatively or positively however the pattern is pretty obvious now.

13 seconds

We find ways to lose.

I appreciate to the fans who have lived through the dark ages post-Jimbo have an admiration for this current Bills regime for getting us back into the play-offs on a regular basis, securing a true franchise QB and bringing Buffalo Proud back to the Buffalo Bills fandom.

I get that.

"Saviours" may be too highly a label to bestow upon this regime given Terry Pegula already took that title for first buying the Buffalo Sabres and then the Buffalo Bills and securing their futures in Buffalo.

I also get that.

However:

(2) Sean McDermott is said to be a defensive minded coach and has been there for a number of years banging the table for an one sided investment of high draft picks, salary cap and free agency pursuits into the defensive side of the ball yet our defence and special teams continue to collapse in pivotal times of key games.  Why?

(3) Is Beane's inability to build an average NFL OL to give our franchise QB an extra 1/4 second to scan the field before making a decision to pass, run or throw the ball away or to allow us to run the ball successfully when we have a 10 point lead a fundamental obstacle to this regimes ability to finally deliver us a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Championship?

That ship sailed a few years ago. 

The Process is crap. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

The term didn't belong to McDermott. He co-opted the term "process" from Nick Saban and pretended it was his. Saban was using that term long before McDermott got here. 

And just what was his "process" from day 1? Trading away the Mahomes pick and drafting a corner instead? Trading up in round 1 and drafting a corner to play in a zone? Drafting undersized DTs? Trading up to draft a MLB?

McDermott is a good game coach imo. He does make some good decisions. He is killing us wrt the draft and nobody can convince me that he does not have more power than Beane. Of course he does, he brought Beane into Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If the process means being content with winning regular seasons then count me out.  I'm not a participation trophy guy.

I didn’t mean to give the impression that I understand or agree with “the process” but I do think that it is has been successful at putting a competitive team on the field. As I type this I am now questioning everything.

8 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

13 seconds

We find ways to lose.

I get that.

I also get that.

However:

In a word, no.

9 hours ago, Believer said:

Jones hasn’t exactly won big with Prescott… Like Allen, he hasn’t won a Conference Title or a SB

"Hey...Look at that squirrel."

Yes, Jerry Jones is not perfect.  Not even close.

Do you agree that he is more willing to do what it takes to win it all than Terry Pegula?

3 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

"Hey...Look at that squirrel."

Yes, Jerry Jones is not perfect.  Not even close.

Do you agree that he is more willing to do what it takes to win it all than Terry Pegula?

Think both want to win… Jones bankrolls and runs his team… Pegula delegates and writes checks.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Not For Long is a truism in the league

i'm not going to overreact to one game but there's legitimate concern  over the last couple yrs imo that the organization, starting w the FO on down, is getting stagnant when you look at it holistically from draft, roster construction, staff, contracts etc

you have to stay relevant by innovating and that may not be our strong suit

This is why coaches like Riveria, McCarthy, and Pederson all were fired from teams they actually won Super Bowls for.  Its a hard business. 

I'll prepare for the eyerolls and the downthumbs, but this does appear a critical time in the course of this build.

We spent much of last season (from the away Jets game) blaming certain things on Josh's elbow injury. There was speculation that downfield throws were preferable for whatever reason.

I just don't know what to think. I feel like just recently going through the Jack Eichel saga gives me pause as to the way fortune, stardom, and motivation manifest in someone's attitude towards their situation. How exactly does 13 Seconds sit with Josh? Does he view the consistent acquisition of top defensive line talent, while seemingly avoiding any real splashes to help his offensive line, leave him feeling bitterness? Does he sit there thinking the only way they will win is if he's Superman?

Or is it purely ego? He's on the cover of Madden, he's being lauded for his hurdles and scrambling and impossible throws...is he just trying too hard to cultivate/build that image?

Their window doesn't have to be closing, but if the QB doesn't return to a form similar or better than 2020-Sept 2022, it could be. This is why McDermott and Beane are paid the way they are, just as much as big money Josh is. They have to get to the bottom of it, correct the course, and get this team back humming the way they were before it all unraveled in the 2nd half of 2022.

Edited by pocoboy
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, bmur66 said:

I didn’t mean to give the impression that I understand or agree with “the process” but I do think that it is has been successful at putting a competitive team on the field. As I type this I am now questioning everything.

Totally agree.

We -play to not lose-.  It is a good philosophy to be competitve.  

Even an average team could find a way to handle a long season by playing like that.

Mcbeane did it with a real average team when we were in the playoffs for the first time since 17 years.

We willl handle that season again, i'm pretty sure.  We have a good team, there's no doupt about it.

But, i just dont see now how we could beat a reel contender in playoffs by playing like that.

Even with a great 13-3 season, we were not that surprise by the way we lost our last game.

Even if we can read the stats about our defense, we were not that surprise each time they collapse when it counts the most.

At the end, the process bring us that high, being a competitive team. It's not nothing.

Then i really feel like we just cant climb higher than that.

As a long time Bills fan, i will be there, root for them week after week but i feel like i already know the end of the movie.

I really hope i am wrong about this.

Edited by BillsMontreal

The process was good for overhauling a team in an almost 20 year drought, finding a franchise qb and becoming a playoff team again.    The process currently is not good for maintaining that talent, developing your franchise QB and  getting to the level of Super Bowl team.

It is time for McDermott and Beane to rethink how things are being approached so that they can win the close games against contenders and get to the next level to being a top tier team.    If they cannot do it this year, then it is time to consider a few changes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We have a good FO and good HC.  They took a broken, irrelevant franchise and turned it into a contender.  They made some mistakes along the way -- who doesn't? -- but clearly they did something right and it wasn't just getting lucky at QB.  

The problem is that this team has reached a point where the "rebuild" has run its course.  Think about some of the key guys we added around the time McBeane arrived or in the season or two after.  Many of those guys have already come and gone -- the John Browns and Frank Gores and Cole Beasleys and Quentin Spains of the world.  Those players were very helpful in getting the franchise turned around, but they were all short-term hole-pluggers.  Those aren't the players I'm talking about.  I'm talking about the core players that we have built around, like Morse, Poyer, and Hyde.  Those guys are all getting long in the tooth and are in need of replacement.  We're going to be talking about Dawkins and Tre like that before too long, and maybe Dawkins is already there. 

None of those guys have been replaced, and we don't have their future replacement on the roster.

We dumped Edmunds -- correctly IMO -- but we don't know if we actually have a replacement for him on our roster or not. 

We still haven't found a clear CB2.  We've known that this is an issue for multiple seasons.  We blew a first-round pick on the position.  We have better depth at CB than we used to have, but arguably our starters were stronger a few years ago when it was a 100% Tre + JAG.  Now it's an injury-depleted Tre and Benford.  Maybe that's an upgrade, but I don't think it's obvious. 

This team is going to need to turn over some of its older players in the very near future, and it needs a talent infusion to replace them.  We haven't gotten that talent infusion because our last few draft classes have been average to below-average.  Hopefully the 2023 draft class will fare better.  But we're going to need to perform better in the draft and FA going forward if we don't want to slip behind other teams. 

Also, I am deeply skeptical that the HC should also be managing the defense.  If McDermott proves me wrong, great.  But it is not normal for a team's long-time DC to just randomly take a year off and have the HC take over.  That is a sign that something is weird in the building.  

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This team has the horses but the coaches are holding them back. 

The Jets commit 2 penalties on 3rd down and McD declines both penalties and lets the Jets kick a FG, really! 

With that decision McDummie told his team he has ZERO confidence that they can't stop the Jets back up QB on a 3rd and 20 or whatever it was, are you kidding me. If I was a defensive player I'd be done playing for this clown!

The process is done, this coach is not the guy who can win a Lombardi with, and this year will be really telling because the rest of the league has caught up to the Bills.

Edited by LarryMadman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.