Do You Still "TRUST THE PROCESS"?

HIT BY SPIKES

It's the 80/20 rule. The "process" was the much needed structure to attract and keep players, create the winning culture, have everybody on board pulling in the same direction and so on. That's major stuff to go back to being a top tier team. But the extra 20% comes from small but important decisions at critical times, intangibles, etc. I think McD is slightly lacking here, yes, I do. But way worse coaches than him have won it all! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Believer said:

Think both want to win… Jones bankrolls and runs his team… Pegula delegates and writes checks.

Delegates to who?

To the General Manager without an experienced NFL Executive in between reporting wise?

That is what Jerry does (act as the General Manager without an experienced NFL Executive in between) however there is a big difference -- Jerry Jones knows football and Terry Pegula knows where to frack.

40 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

It's the 80/20 rule. The "process" was the much needed structure to attract and keep players, create the winning culture, have everybody on board pulling in the same direction and so on. That's major stuff to go back to being a top tier team. But the extra 20% comes from small but important decisions at critical times, intangibles, etc. I think McD is slightly lacking here, yes, I do. But way worse coaches than him have won it all! 

This is a very good point too.  McDermott is a good coach.  But he occasionally does inexplicable things, like punting on 4th and 2 the other night.  I know Rodgers was out and so the old-timey defensive coach mindset says "just take the 3 points," but taking the 3 points is wrong.  It's wrong period.  It doesn't matter whether the opposing QB is Patrick Mahomes or Late Flag From The Internet.  It's the first quarter and you get more points on average by going for it in that situation, so go for it.  That decision arguably cost us the game despite Allen's abysmal play.  

McDermott has done a great job of building a winning culture, attracting good players to Buffalo, hiring good staff, etc.  He is a very good HC.  It just feels like he needs to learn to get the in-game decision-making right, kind of like Andy Reid when he was in Philadelphia.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Was driving for a few hours over the weekend on Sunday and heard a show with a former NFL player talking about how when he was a rookie with New England and was so excited to be there with Tom Brady and Gronk and all those players and he was literally sitting on the edge of his seat when Belichick walked in on the first day to address the team and couldn't wait to hear what he said because he just knew it would some huge profound thing...and then he basically did an impersonation of him and him saying "To figure out how we can win games, we first have to figure out how not to lose them."

He said he was bummed out at how mundane it was then but now realizes just how right he was...most teams lose games rather than their opponent winning the game.

And McD needs to be hyperfocused on EXACTLY this and drill it into their heads.

Because this team doesn't get beat, they beat themselves. They need to focus on first not losing games if they want to win in these situations when they find themselves in low scoring type games.

Edited by BillsUberAlles

I am more concerned with our poor drafting in the early rounds. Having another 1st round pick not active on Monday underscores this. Too many whiffs on rounds 1-3 are hurting us. Beane's belief that JAGs on the OL  is just fine has us where we are  -- a good winning team that will never sniff the SB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, SCBills said:

Honestly, no.

If Allen grows up, I do think we're talented enough to win a Super Bowl despite McDermott/Dorsey, but having a Defensive HC was always going to be an issue in terms of long term stability in a passing league where every other top QB has a year in/year out stable Offensive mind leading the team. 

BB and Brady say otherwise.

51 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

BB and Brady say otherwise.

Dude seriously… the QB made it work. To boot, the Pats had 2 solid offensive coordinators running the show with Brady in Charlie Wei’s & McDaniels… O’Brien was no slouch calling plays for Tommy either. 

Point is you need a guy who compliments, understands and accentuates your guy under center in the best possible ways and positions for success consistently.  

Is Ken Dorsey that guy? I am leaning towards probably not…

Carolina was nothing to write home about other than their running game. Cam’s only decent passing year; statistically with what is the norm in terms of scoring, was the MVP season in 2015. The other years, Carolina’s passing game was pretty average under Dorsey as his QB coach. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by BBFL

I had reservations before 13 seconds. I have never trusted McD since. The "trust the process" mantra is meant and to mean ultimately to learn and grow from your mistakes. The problem is he is a complete hypocrite in this regard. The process does not apply to him. He improved on the margins and in easy win game but he consistently mismanages the clock in the same way. How many times does he let time slip away only to leave himself multiple timeouts at the end but run out of time. Defensive timeouts are another one. He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes at all. When the chips are down or it's a big game he turtles up into his old school conservative mindset. 

Ross Tucker had him outside his top 10 coaching staffs. His number one reason is he loses too many games he should win. Now the pushback is "but we won 13 games" Sure but we should have won 15 and nobody cares if you lose the last one of the season.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, blitzboy54 said:

I had reservations before 13 seconds. I have never trusted McD since. The "trust the process" mantra is meant and to mean ultimately to learn and grow from your mistakes. The problem is he is a complete hypocrite in this regard. The process does not apply to him. He improved on the margins and in easy win game but he consistently mismanages the clock in the same way. How many times does he let time slip away only to leave himself multiple timeouts at the end but run out of time. Defensive timeouts are another one. He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes at all. When the chips are down or it's a big game he turtles up into his old school conservative mindset. 

Ross Tucker had him outside his top 10 coaching staffs. His number one reason is he loses too many games he should win. Now the pushback is "but we won 13 games" Sure but we should have won 15 and nobody cares if you lose the last one of the season.  

Well said.

Do you see any accountability for Beane?

How about for Terry Pegula who between the Sabres and Bills seems to shy away from hiring strong experienced sought after GM candidates OR in hiring an experienced NFL Executive that would report to Terry however the GM would report to the NFL Executive?

5 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

This is a very good point too.  McDermott is a good coach.  But he occasionally does inexplicable things, like punting on 4th and 2 the other night.  I know Rodgers was out and so the old-timey defensive coach mindset says "just take the 3 points," but taking the 3 points is wrong.  It's wrong period.  It doesn't matter whether the opposing QB is Patrick Mahomes or Late Flag From The Internet.  It's the first quarter and you get more points on average by going for it in that situation, so go for it.  That decision arguably cost us the game despite Allen's abysmal play.  

McDermott has done a great job of building a winning culture, attracting good players to Buffalo, hiring good staff, etc.  He is a very good HC.  It just feels like he needs to learn to get the in-game decision-making right, kind of like Andy Reid when he was in Philadelphia.

I made a post addressing how taking the points at that moment was wrong!...we pick up that 4th and 2 the dagger gets fully plunged into the heart of the jets....they were wounded bad with Rodgers being hurt and out of the game...it was our kill shot moment and McDermott didn't seize the moment..instead we were left with vomit of mom's spaghetti on our jerseys...it gave the jets hope and life

On 9/12/2023 at 12:42 PM, MAJBobby said:

I think we have a very good FO.

I am unsure about the HC

I have no issues with the Ownership

I agree with all 3 statements. 

I will add Dorsey to the very unsure category.

I think Beane has built the best roster of his regime.  How short should the leash be on Dorsey?  If he can't get it done this year, I think they need to move on.  Learning to call plays in the NFL is hard and he has some glaring red flags that has me think he will not improve quick enough as we need him to.

8 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

He'll never get the in-game part right.  Which in my opinion is more important than organizing a bunch of high character choir boys.  

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

I don't, on the plus side the team took my expectations to below zero in one week.

I hope management is looking for a coaching change at the end of the year. Seems like a coaching change to try and revive Allen is the only path forward. Get us an offensive coach please.

Daboll as HC and Schwartz as DC would've looked real good right after 13 seconds.  Oh well those ships have sailed. Maybe Ben Johnson can be courted?

On 9/12/2023 at 9:43 AM, BullBuchanan said:

I haven't "trusted the process" since I first heard it. It was the most opaque, catch-all blanket for anything and everything that was wrong at the time. It may have been the dumbest thing I ever heard a coach say. It's become clear now that "The Process" isn't the solution, it's the problem.

I’ve wondered, if there’s a process, what is it?   I know it’s just a word he uses, but a process is generally a series of steps to get a result.  Is the targeted result winning a Super Bowl?  If so, they haven’t been successful completing some of the steps.

4 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

I’ve wondered, if there’s a process, what is it?   I know it’s just a word he uses, but a process is generally a series of steps to get a result.  Is the targeted result winning a Super Bowl?  If so, they haven’t been successful completing some of the steps.

It doesn't mean anything beyond "trust me blindly". I remember an interview in his first year where he used like pleading the fifth. He was asked a handful of difficult questions and the answer to each one of them was "trust the process". I'd rather he just ignore them or grunt like Belichick, but I'd drastically prefer he answer them as thoughtfully/honestly as he can like Kerr and Popovich

3 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

So you figure Josh Allen is THE problem?

He was on Monday and to be honest his performances since the Green Bay game last year..... are those of a QB on a team that is good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to win it all. We need Josh to play better if we are going to win a Superbowl. Since the middle of last season he hasn't played well enough. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.