Terry Pegula is ALLEGED to have said something very foul in the Jim Trotter lawsuit against the NFL

Roundybout

Having once been involved in a lawsuit where I was accused in of something I absolutely knew wasn't true I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise.   Mine turned out fine.  The other party was looking for a quick settlement - could be the motive here too.....BUT - if its true he's really thrown away a whole lot with one comment.  

• Like (+1) 2

Until this is corroborated by someone other than a guy hoping to make bank on a discrimination law suit, I’ll withhold judgement. Terry very well be a closet racist, I don’t think so and hope not, but you don’t destroy a man’s reputation based on one guy’s statement who has a huge financial incentive for people to believe its true.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

https://x.com/profootballtalk/status/1701616762163479007?s=46&t=RLsRhQJBb5vROsgfJWkwSw

“‘If the black players don’t like it here, they should go back to Africa and see how bad it really is.’ Trotter raised complaints and concerns but no remedial action was taken”

This might be something to keep an eye on.

Oh, please tell me he is not that stupid.  If he actually said that that is really really bad.

Just from what I publicly know about Terry Pegula over the past 12 or so years... I cannot picture him saying something like that.  I remember him even putting out a statement going against Donald trump and getting behind Lesean McCoy.  The Bills allowed the players to do as they wanted during that whole thing.  

Maybe below the surface he could be slightly prejudiced.  Most white men that age seem to be susceptible to that (boomers)

• Eyeroll 5
  • Agree 5

Is this a recorded statement? If so, he has no business being involved with the NFL. He should be driven out of the city and from the league before the day is over.

If this statement was not being recorded, I have a hard time believing that a person so reliant on the efforts of black folks would be so dismissive of their perspectives.

Lots of people make claims about others these days that end up not being substantiated. I will be curious to see if this one is or not.

• Agree 1

The thing no Bills fan really wants to admit is this:

Terry Pegula is probably one Josh Allen/Sean McDermott combo platter away from presiding over a coaching carousel and being despised by the fanbase. For whatever acumen he may offer in the business world, he does not seem particularly adept at operating sports franchises, nor does he seem particularly emotionally intelligent with regard to social interaction or relating to players.

Yes, he has opened up his wallet, allowed the Bills to build a world class training facility and spend to the limit on coaching hires and team building, and the Bills have a new stadium deal in place.

However, when it comes to the teams themselves under his ownership...everyone knows the Sabres have been an absolute tire fire. And the Bills? The Pegulas started out their tenure of ownership by hiring Rex Ryan and retaining Russ Brandon.

They're lucky the McDermott hire worked out so well and that Beane followed, and that Josh Allen was drafted. Does anyone want to imagine what the Bills would look like if, hypothetically, Beane and McDermott were fired and it was up to Pegula to start from scratch? Does anything about the job he's done with the Sabres instill any kind of confidence that this process would go well?

Add these latest comments -- if true -- to the pile. Pegula is lucky he has Beane/McDermott/Allen, and I hate to think of what the Bills might look like if he didn't.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, Process said:

This guy has been after the NFL and Goodell for years. Not saying it's not true....but let's not rush to judgement.

Right, need to see what Terry says about this. Because there's no context that makes this acceptable, unless he's quoting someone else and making a point about how terrible that statement is. 

IT has to be a flat out denial. 

You can not be an owner of a team where 80% of the playing employees are African, and have those racist sentiments in your soul

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Just from what I publicly know about Terry Pegula over the past 12 or so years... I cannot picture him saying something like that.  I remember him even putting out a statement going against Donald trump and getting behind Lesean McCoy.  The Bills allowed the players to do as they wanted during that whole thing.  

Maybe below the surface he could be slightly prejudiced.  Most white men that age seem to be susceptible to that (boomers)

Yeah, this is kind of where I am at too. Honestly, those comments allegedly from him and Jerry sound like just about every out of touch boomer says, and believe me, they don't think they are being ignorant/racist.

I am going to wait for this to play out, but if true, it is so surprising because of a lot of the things you mentioned.

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

Right, need to see what Terry says about this. Because there's no context that makes this acceptable, unless he's quoting someone else and making a point about how terrible that statement is. 

IT has to be a flat out denial. 

You can not be an owner of a team where 80% of the playing employees are African, and have those racist sentiments in your soul

Why are you so sure he said it? 

• Like (+1) 3

1. Frankly I don't believe it fully; Trotter is literally filing a lawsuit over Affirmative Action hiring which in itself is a idiotic situation to begin with.

2. Depending on the actual question this racial statement may not exactly be "bad" For all we know Trotter asked him about players backing the BLM riots that burned and looted towns. In that case this supposed statement is far less wrong.

3. The Pegulas have been very open and willing to hire, sign and acquire black players and staff as well as support community efforts in the region in regards to minorities. So the statement itself seems very out of character and/or at most an answer that comes from endless badgering or biased reporting.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’ll await for the quote to be substantiated by something other than hearsay. It just doesn’t make sense for something so grotesque to come out of Terrys mouth. He’s been a proponent of diversity from what I’ve gathered and witnessed so far. So I’ll wait for something other than a disgruntled employee’s accounting before I even remotely get concerned about this. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Why are you so sure he said it? 

Generally when someone goes on legal record of saying something with a direct quote, it increases the odds of them saying it, or you risk perjury

2 minutes ago, Phils n Bills said:

I’ll await for the quote to be substantiated by something other than hearsay. It just doesn’t make sense for something so grotesque to come out of Terrys mouth. He’s been a proponent of diversity from what I’ve gathered and witnessed so far. So I’ll wait for something other than a disgruntled employee’s accounting before I even remotely get concerned about this. 

He's stayed quiet, which is fine with me. Racial Justice isn't a Billionaire's debate. His family life also suggests to me that this isn't straight forward, and there's a chance Trotter is straight up lying

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.