Can James Cook break a tackle, ever?!?!

zow2

On 9/11/2023 at 11:52 PM, zow2 said:

So many people here love the guy. I just don’t see it as i’ve said since last season.  As a RB you simply have to break some arm tackles.  Watch Breece Hall for 2 carries and he’s everything Cook isn’t. 

Yes, when no one touches him, Cook is decent, but that’s the case with any RB.  I need more Damien Harris or Murray.  Cook seems like a nice change of pace, but not THE GUY to me.  Hope im proven wrong 

He can break a tackle but not if the tackler is Chuck Norris.  Not gonna happen.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 9/21/2023 at 9:23 AM, k2mountain said:

Between this "can Cook break a tackle" and the recent "can Kincaid throw a block" threads, I'm surprised Beane still has a job.  /sarc

Some like to stir it up. 

People were down on James Cook after game 1 and wanted to see him play tougher.   After game 2 he's the next Barry Sanders/Emmitt Smith.  It's a stone cold lead pipe lock that this thread will be resurrected at points during the season when James finds some rough sledding.  I hope he continues to produce big numbers, but I want Dorsey to have a feel and play the hot RB hand.  Whoever is moving the ball that game.

This is a great breakdown of Cook's game against LV:

He points out that our draws to Cook have become our version of RB screens. They're blocked up the same way. And that concept really intrigues me. The problem with our screens in general is defenses always have eyes in the backfield with Allen as the QB so it's hard to disguise screens. But that problem is solved if Cook stays in the pocket and forces back 7 defenders to respect that it could be a normal drop back pass. And then his speed makes it all work.

Also in this video are numerous examples of Cook fighting for extra yards through direct head-on contact or effortlessly gliding through contact. And his vision on some of these plays is outstanding. I'm growing more confident that we got the full package in our RB1.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I must not be seeing what you are i saw him tag a dude as he was going out of bounds against the raiders & i saw him run through a few arm tackles while making some of his bigger runs i think you might want to watch the replay while not user the influence of any out side stimulation .

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/20/2023 at 9:05 AM, NewEra said:

And better OGs

On 9/20/2023 at 9:06 AM, GunnerBill said:

Yep, it's both. A back with speed and better interior blocking. 

This offense has a lot of new and young parts... 2 new guards, 2 new running backs, 2 new wide receivers, and a new tight end... all of whom excepting the wideouts Harty and Sherfield, figure to get very high snap counts. This is on top of the fact that Cook and Shakir are only entering their second seasons.

With the continuing contraction of the preseason and the snap limiting for injury avoidance, it's fair to expect that the offense will gell and improve markedly over the course of the regular season.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/19/2023 at 7:52 PM, QB Bills said:

Cook sucks. Not a popular opinion among the masses here but it'll become more apparent as the season wears on.

I’m having a hard time seeing passed his 124 yards on the ground

Do you know when the last time that was running back that did that?

You’re ignorant

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Don’t get yds after contact and broken tackle mixed up very different stats . Cook has 1 broken tackle on the year. That’s awful. 

?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Don’t get yds after contact and broken tackle mixed up very different stats . Cook has 1 broken tackle on the year. That’s awful. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but at 5.8 ypc, I could care less if he doesn't break a tackle. Most people complain about lack of YAC. He' getting them. Just keep his carries at 15+. It's more about balancing out the offense and having the threat there than breaking a tackle imo. We should be happy we have some semblance of a running game without Josh being our leading rusher. It's NICE!!!😁

• Like (+1) 2

From an article by someone named Sneaky Joe with WGR Sports:  

"Cook has 127 rushing yards after contact, good for fourth in the NFL. Cook also has 46 yards over expected this season. The only running backs with more: Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Nick Chubb, and Austin Ekeler. That's elite company."

I know YAC is different than breaking a tackle to some here, but if you break a tackle that would count as YAC to me. 

Short answer to the OP's question: Yes!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NickelCity said:

I think we need to be patient. We gotta figure out the "can Gabe be a reliable receiver" first. 

Can Spencer Brown ever pancake an edge rusher?

Can Deonte Harty ever break free beyond the line of scrimmage?

Can Dalton Kincaid ever catch a pass beyond the sticks?

(Those should help us next week!)

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/23/2023 at 8:55 PM, NastyNateSoldiers said:

You should see the video posted by a few here. I mean, he broke at least 4 tackles in that game alone. WTH are you watching? Same group of complainers with nothing better to do. 

I forget the exact time left but i recall Cook having a real nice run in the 2nd half, maybe 4th Qtr.   The replay view was from behind and he was slippery through the line and cut/juked a few guys,.. and he was not touched!   I was thinking in that moment, that's the perfect James Cook run.  He doesn't need to break any tackles if he doesn't get touched.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dopey said:

From an article by someone named Sneaky Joe with WGR Sports:  

"Cook has 127 rushing yards after contact, good for fourth in the NFL. Cook also has 46 yards over expected this season. The only running backs with more: Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Nick Chubb, and Austin Ekeler. That's elite company."

I know YAC is different than breaking a tackle to some here, but if you break a tackle that would count as YAC to me. 

Short answer to the OP's question: Yes!!!

I'm not trying to argue Cooks effectiveness right now

But there is a difference between yards after contact and broken tackles... A broken tackle would be engaged with a defender who you dismiss

Yards after contact could be going through a hole and getting touched on the arm by a defender and continuing running

That's the difference in the two

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

I forget the exact time left but i recall Cook having a real nice run in the 2nd half, maybe 4th Qtr.   The replay view was from behind and he was slippery through the line and cut/juked a few guys,.. and he was not touched!   I was thinking in that moment, that's the perfect James Cook run.  He doesn't need to break any tackles if he doesn't get touched.

I see what you did there….you can cling to the whole “can’t break a tackle” schtick by complimenting his ability to avoid contact altogether.  Well played, sir

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still going to say it, Cook cannot break out of a paper bag... especially if the bag gets a twist tie around his arm or leg.  But in all seriousness, there are some games that Cook is just not going to be a factor in the running game or screens.  Dorsey needs to recognize that early and get the other RB's involved.  Harris only got a couple touches today and he ran well as a north/south runner.  I can't recall each series but when Cook was unable to run on first or 2nd down I think the Bills ended up punting.  Very frustrating.  I'm not really blaming James Cook for today, he's no Isiah Pacheco that's for sure, but Dorsey has to be smarter and have a feel for the game.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I'm still going to say it, Cook cannot break out of a paper bag... especially if the bag gets a twist tie around his arm or leg.  But in all seriousness, there are some games that Cook is just not going to be a factor in the running game or screens.  Dorsey needs to recognize that early and get the other RB's involved.  Harris only got a couple touches today and he ran well as a north/south runner.  I can't recall each series but when Cook was unable to run on first or 2nd down I think the Bills ended up punting.  Very frustrating.  I'm not really blaming James Cook for today, he's no Isiah Pacheco that's for sure, but Dorsey has to be smarter and have a feel for the game.

I see you haven’t watched a Bills game since week 1. Welcome back!

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/11/2023 at 8:52 PM, zow2 said:

So many people here love the guy. I just don’t see it as i’ve said since last season.  As a RB you simply have to break some arm tackles.  Watch Breece Hall for 2 carries and he’s everything Cook isn’t. 

Yes, when no one touches him, Cook is decent, but that’s the case with any RB.  I need more Damien Harris or Murray.  Cook seems like a nice change of pace, but not THE GUY to me.  Hope im proven wrong 

We need more Damian Harris!!  3 months later and Cook still hasn’t broken a tackle iirc!  Bring in Fournette!!

On 10/8/2023 at 12:17 PM, zow2 said:

I'm still going to say it, Cook cannot break out of a paper bag... especially if the bag gets a twist tie around his arm or leg.  

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We need more Damian Harris!!  3 months later and Cook still hasn’t broken a tackle iirc!  Bring in Fournette!!

Lol.  I love this.  I think i said during the gameday thread how Cook is playing insane.  The hands on that TD catch were as good as anyone.

As for breaking tackles, James Cook does not even need to break any.  The guy is slippery as hell and if he can continue to be slippery and the Oline plays like this he's the biggest weapon we have.  So huge props to him.

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Lol.  I love this.  I think i said during the gameday thread how Cook is playing insane.  The hands on that TD catch were as good as anyone.

As for breaking tackles, James Cook does not even need to break any.  The guy is slippery as hell and if he can continue to be slippery and the Oline plays like this he's the biggest weapon we have.  So huge props to him.

And he breaks tackles

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

probably the best all around RB performance since Thurman Thomas last night....  The whole game I marveled at James' coming out party.... he has had some solid outings this year but the game against the Cowboys should earn him Offensive player of the week nomination

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/8/2023 at 12:17 PM, zow2 said:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.