Random talking head says something about the Bills

Simon

29 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This is why I rip the media.

When you watch this, does Peter King tell you anything you don’t already know?

Like he’s sitting there assuming he’s educating you about your team. 

Is it possible other fans not being Bills fans might have been educated a little? 

Is it possible a more casual fan might have enjoyed what he had to say? 

Also, there are so many media outlets in today's modern era. There's only so much football experts, reporters, or analysts can say without it being repetitive. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

What's I find ironic here is all the negative comments towards King. 

He gave Buffalo a lot of praise on how good they are. I believe he said they are a top team that no one wants to play if they make playoffs. 

I guess that part isn't heard because he's on the Bills fans poop list. 

The missed PI call vs the Giants. The missed hail mary by the Bucs. 

The collective media - Cowherd, King, Florio, Dan Patrick, Greenberg, the good ole’ boys on Fox radio, Broussard and Parker - they’re all 200 years old.

Peter looks old in that video, sounds old in that video, and is saying a whole lot of nothing.

For a guy who has covered the league for so long, he is still limited to recapping results after the games have been played and generic talking points about who is playing “good” and who is playing “bad”. 

51 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Is it possible other fans not being Bills fans might have been educated a little? 

Is it possible a more casual fan might have enjoyed what he had to say? 

Also, there are so many media outlets in today's modern era. There's only so much football experts, reporters, or analysts can say without it being repetitive. 

Or guys who are paid millions to cover the game, actually, could you know, watch film and have an educated opinion on the game they “love”.

Greg Cosell doesn’t offer any predictions on what will happen, but at least he knows what happens and why.

Peter King is nothing more than Dan Patrick or Colin Cowherd or Stephen A Smith.

He’s a common fan that says nothing interesting or new that you couldn’t conclude from watching highlights of the games on the weekends.

Tell me again why Brandon Staley had to be fired, or now let’s have a discussion on why Christian McCaffrey is an MVP “candidate” - like I don’t own a television or have access to the internet. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

That works much better in September which is still very much the middle of summer for them than it does in December.

There’s a chance this game is win and in or for the 2 and 7 seed.

If things play out like we hope I think this game is prime for Sunday night to close out the league year. Making the sun a total non-factor. Which would be an awesome way to end all of Miami’s home field advantage. 

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The collective media - Cowherd, King, Florio, Dan Patrick, Greenberg, the good ole’ boys on Fox radio, Broussard and Parker - there all 200 years old.

Peter looks old in that video, sounds old in that video, and is saying a whole lot of nothing.

For a guy who has covered the league for so long, he is still limited to recapping results after the games have been played and generic talking points about who is playing “good” and who is playing “bad”. 

Don't disagree. Two of my favorites are Greg Cosel and Joe Marino. Dan O is pretty good but I don't like his style.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Also from the mind of Peter King:

If I'm New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft,  I have to say no to Bill Belichick  now, hire Tom Donahoe  to run the football side of business, and get on with my life. Because if I'm Bob Kraft, this is the thought process going through my mind today as the Jets stonewall my compensation offer for Belichick and refuse to budge from their demand of New England's first-round draft choice in April's draft: I am willing to give a man with a coaching record of 37-45 full authority over all my football operations by naming him coach and general manager. I am willing to pay him in excess of $3 million a year. And now I have to throw in my first-round pick? I'm already without my fourth-round pick this year, and I'm sure to lose a couple of valued players like Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Jefferson  in free agency. Now I have to throw in the pick that could become Ron Dayne  and may solve our dilemma at running back for the next five years? Maybe I wait a couple more days for the Jets to budge. Assuming they don't, I get on with my life.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020208020725/http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com:80/inside_game/peter_king/news/2000/01/26/ten_things/

Imagine missing out on a chance to draft Ron Dayne for a mere coach…

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Also from the mind of Peter King:

If I'm New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft,  I have to say no to Bill Belichick  now, hire Tom Donahoe  to run the football side of business, and get on with my life. Because if I'm Bob Kraft, this is the thought process going through my mind today as the Jets stonewall my compensation offer for Belichick and refuse to budge from their demand of New England's first-round draft choice in April's draft: I am willing to give a man with a coaching record of 37-45 full authority over all my football operations by naming him coach and general manager. I am willing to pay him in excess of $3 million a year. And now I have to throw in my first-round pick? I'm already without my fourth-round pick this year, and I'm sure to lose a couple of valued players like Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Jefferson  in free agency. Now I have to throw in the pick that could become Ron Dayne  and may solve our dilemma at running back for the next five years? Maybe I wait a couple more days for the Jets to budge. Assuming they don't, I get on with my life.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020208020725/http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com:80/inside_game/peter_king/news/2000/01/26/ten_things/

I like Belichick as a coach, too, even though I find his actions this month despicable and totally without honor.

Some just are attracted to evil.  

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Some really good input here by Peter King on his podcast. 

A few things that hit home sort of speak.

(1)The Bills still have a difficult challenge ahead of them. The playoffs are in question. Feels weird or not right after the Bills two recent wins.

(2) Peter King at the very end almost scolds the Bills and warns the fans. More specifically, he talked about how the Bills squandered wins. 

(3) Both of them unequivocally talked about how good the Bills are. Admitted they are a top team and how others don't want to face them in the playoffs. 

In conclusion, listening to this has stirred several emotions both positive and negative. 

Uh….I didn’t find this clip to be as nearly as profound as you did.  It starts with Peter rambling and cutting himself off mid-sentence.  The clip he referenced about the Bills odds was more positive than negative regarding their playoff chances and showed how might higher the odds had gotten over the past two weeks.  

King them completely contradicted himself by saying “The Bills are one of the best teams in the NFL…RIGHT NOW” and the mentioning they have an “upward climb?” 

Let me get this right…one the best teams playing against 5-9 and 3-11 team is an “upward climb?”

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

If we can’t beat Bolts and Cheats, we are not a playoff team anyway. McD may have been overly loyal or slow on Dorsey. If Brady pulls this off? Miracle. McClappy the proved his HC chops

Everyone wants to say he was slow to fire Dorsey but when I ask the proceeding question, no one has an answer -

Explain when McDermott should have fired Ken Dorsey?  

I thought Denver was his first real opportunity to do and even then he took a lot of ***** for it.   Now we see it was the right move.  Not making the move earlier probably cost the Bills a few wins, but I think you need to give your OC (especially one that was so close to your franchise QB) opportunists to improve.   

45 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The collective media - Cowherd, King, Florio, Dan Patrick, Greenberg, the good ole’ boys on Fox radio, Broussard and Parker - there all 200 years old.

Or guys who are paid millions to cover the game, actually, could you know, watch film and have an educated opinion on the game they “love”.

Greg Cosell doesn’t offer any predictions on what will happen, but at least he knows what happens and why.

Peter King is nothing more than Dan Patrick or Colin Cowherd or Stephen A Smith.

He’s a common fan that says nothing interesting or new that you couldn’t conclude from watching highlights of the games on the weekends.

Tell me again why Brandon Staley had to be fired, or now let’s have a discussion on why Christian McCaffrey is an MVP “candidate” - like I don’t own a television or have access to the internet. 

I get what you are saying. It definitely has validity.

However, I think fans have different levels of interests and knowledge of the game. For example, my wife sometimes watches football with me. She clearly is not interested in a breakdown of film. She actually likes some of the media people because of their style and personality. I suspect there are millions of these types of fans. 

Point being these media types you describe have been around for decades doing what they do. Often it's not enough X's and O's. Often it's not something many knowledge fans don't already know.

Obviously, the likes of Peter King and others are doing something correct. Or at the very least the have good enough ratings and an audience that generated revenue. Look at Jim Rome or Stephen A as a great example. 

Your thinking isn't incorrect and I know you are speaking for yourself. However, there's an absolute audience for  likes of whom you mentioned. The beauty is we can pick and choose who we watch and ir listen to. 

What's I find ironic here is all the negative comments towards King. 

He gave Buffalo a lot of praise on how good they are. I believe he said they are a top team that no one wants to play if they make playoffs. 

I guess that part isn't heard because he's on the Bills fans poop list. 

The missed PI call vs the Giants. The missed hail mary by the Bucs. 

We could find about 50 ”what if” examples this season.  Pretty foolish to bring this up

10 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Uh….I didn’t find this clip to be as nearly as profound as you did.  It starts with Peter rambling and cutting himself off mid-sentence.  The clip he referenced about the Bills odds was more positive than negative regarding their playoff chances and showed how might higher the odds had gotten over the past two weeks.  

King them completely contradicted himself by saying “The Bills are one of the best teams in the NFL…RIGHT NOW” and the mentioning they have an “upward climb?” 

Let me get this right…one the best teams playing against 5-9 and 3-11 team is an “upward climb?”

Everyone wants to say he was slow to fire Dorsey but when I ask the proceeding question, no one has an answer -

Explain when McDermott should have fired Ken Dorsey?  

I thought Denver was his first real opportunity to do and even then he took a lot of ***** for it.   Now we see it was the right move.  Not making the move earlier probably cost the Bills a few wins, but I think you need to give your OC (especially one that was so close to your franchise QB) opportunists to improve.   

Disagree. The Bills do have an uphill climb. None of the games are gimmies. This season should tell you that. 

LA just fired their coach. Who knows if that gives them a spark. Obviously, the Bills should win. "F" they better win. 

NE and BB would love nothing more than to pee in the Bills Wheaties. Division games are usually tough. The Bills should win. 

Miami at Miami. Surely, you can think this is an easy game. Come on now. 

The Bills best chance to make the playoffs is to win out. Even if they do they still need Miami to lose a game before they lose to the Bills. Division winners- Buffalo.

The WC spots are seemingly more difficult. They will need help and lose way too many tie breakers. 

Saying the Bills have an upward climb is 100% accurate. Not sure how you can't see that. 

3 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

Its pretty amazing the playoff chances are in doubt over just a handful of plays.  Jets game Garrett Wilson catch and a punt return, Denver too many men on the field, one Tyler Bass field goal against the Eagles.  Its not just every game matters, every play matters.

And yet…arguably had those earlier disastrous plays not happened, then I’d wager we would still be stuck with a middling OC who didn’t maximize his weapons (e.g. Cook/low positive Josh) or exploit opponent-specific weaknesses, and still be sleepwalking right out of the playoff hunt altogether—now with JB, we’re getting hot at the right time for a run. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Disagree. The Bills do have an uphill climb. None of the games are gimmies. This season should tell you that. 

LA just fired their coach. Who knows if that gives them a spark. Obviously, the Bills should win. "F" they better win. 

NE and BB would love nothing more than to pee in the Bills Wheaties. Division games are usually tough. The Bills should win. 

The Bills best chance to make the playoffs is to win out. Even if they do they still need Miami to lose a game before they lose to the Bills. Division winners- Buffalo.

The WC spots are seemingly more difficult. They will need help and lose way too many tie breakers. 

Saying the Bills have an upward climb is 100% accurate. Not sure how you can't see that. 

The last three seasons the Bills finished out the regular season on a six game winning streak, a four game winning streak, and a seven game winning streak.  I wouldn't bet against them.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The last three seasons the Bills finished out the regular season on a six game winning streak, a four game winning streak, and a seven game winning streak.  I wouldn't bet against them.

But you are posting facts and irrational ranters don't need facts they make up their own.

• Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

If the Bills win out they are almost certainly in. Either as division winner if Miami drops 1 more or as a wildcard. 

If they win the next two and lose in Miami the path is very narrow. We have a lot of rooting for the Titans to do. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I like their chances as well but I'm biased as a Bills fan  That's really not what I'm debating though. Right now as things stand, the Bills do have an uphill battle to make the playoffs. I think the Bills are at around 40% to make the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

But you are posting facts and irrational ranters don't need facts they make up their own.

Facts from previous seasons. Are you ok? 

Irrational ranters and making up facts? Are you ok? 

Your post is ridiculous and in bad faith. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If the Bills win out they are almost certainly in. Either as division winner if Miami drops 1 more or as a wildcard. 

If they win the next two and lose in Miami the path is very narrow. We have a lot of rooting for the Titans to do. 

I'm aware of this thanks Gunner. 

Just seems like some here are already counting the next three games as wins. Certainly, the Bills should win the next two. The last game vs Miami is a whole different animal. 

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I like their chances as well but I'm biased as a Bills fan  That's really not what I'm debating though. Right now as things stand, the Bills do have an uphill battle to make the playoffs. I think the Bills are at around 40% to make the playoffs. 

NYT playoff simulator has them at 68% and the Vegas odds are at -210 to make the playoffs the last time I checked.  If the Bills drop one of their next three they still are at about 50 to 70% to make the playoffs depending on which game we lose.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm aware of this thanks Gunner. 

Just seems like some here are already counting the next three games as wins. Certainly, the Bills should win the next two. The last game vs Miami is a whole different animal. 

It is but I kinda feel we have the Hex on Miami. I mean they have beaten us twice with Josh. Once in 900° heat (and Josh missed Isaiah for a walk in touch down at the end) and once when he was a rookie and Charles Clay dropped the ball. While it is definitely a tough game (especially if they also need it) I think they would almost rather play anyone else than the Bills.

But the Browns and the Texans coming back late on Sunday hurt. If those two had lost our odds rocketed. 

• Agree 1

It cuts both ways though. They could have lost to the Giants and the Bucs. Let's be consistent with our analysis. 

I still don’t get this ‘almost lost to the bucs’ lol if it was like the bears Hail Mary from this past weekend then yea sure 

no receiver had any idea where the ball was in the bucs game  

giants game 100% agree though

• Agree 2

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I still don’t get this ‘almost lost to the bucs’ lol if it was like the bears Hail Mary from this past weekend then yea sure 

no receiver had any idea where the ball was in the bucs game  

giants game 100% agree though

Yea we didn't "almost lose" to Tampa. Almost ever hail mary you can play the "if guy X did Y that coulda been complete" they are complete once in an absolute blue moon. We did almost lose to the Giants. The offense was absolutely atrocious that night. I think that was the point at which Dorsey could have been fired and looking back now probably should have been. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree. The way I see it is if the Bills lose to LA or NE they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. 

That game in Miami will likely be a good one. Both teams know each other well. 

I didn't think it did that at all. 

No need to go there. What did he say in the video that was inaccurate or biased? 

There's no way we'd lose to NE after our first encounter.  It's the unknown motivation of the Chargers after Staley's firing that concerns me. We have to take control early.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is but I kinda feel we have the Hex on Miami. I mean they have beaten us twice with Josh. Once in 900° heat (and Josh missed Isaiah for a walk in touch down at the end) and once when he was a rookie and Charles Clay dropped the ball. While it is definitely a tough game (especially if they also need it) I think they would almost rather play anyone else than the Bills.

But the Browns and the Texans coming back late on Sunday hurt. If those two had lost our odds rocketed. 

I don’t even think it’s a hex it’s just a really tough matchup for them especially with our oline playing better.

tuas getting the ball out so fast because he does all his diagnosing early on presnap…the disguised zones are very tough for him to deal with.  The only game their offense gave us a lot of trouble was when we couldn’t stop the run.  A small fast defense that can disguise coverages is kind of their kryptonite 

on the offensive side we’ve got a qb that’s great at improvising under pressure and runs like a fullback…they’ve got a bunch of pass rush specialist linebackers and nobody that can really help out in pass coverage 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

They talked about the Sean McDermott fire him at half, fire him now irrational ranters:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/what-they-re-saying-national-analysts-think-bills-are-getting-hot-at-the-right-t

Scott Pioli | NFL Network: Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott’s partnership is a stabilizing force

Between signing Leonard Floyd – who leads the Bills with 10.5 sacks, trading for cornerback Rasul Douglas – who has been a consistent starter since his arrival and signing defensive tackle Linval Joseph to beef up the Bills' run defense, general manager Brandon Beane has been highly effective in constructing a team well-suited for head coach Sean McDermott's defensive philosophy.

"Brandon Beane had to show confidence in Sean, in their partnership. During moments like this when the team is struggling and there's all the outside noise, what you need sometimes more than anything is a good, reliable trusting partner. Not only is the team playing well, but watching how Sean and Brandon Beane have done a great job staying together, keeping themselves in check because they know there's a bigger goal."

Now Josh and Sean have something to bind to each other.  Being bashed by some who seemed to put their nuts and reputations on chopping block and doubled down.

Even Cowherd made some sense:

"Just because you have a quarterback with godlike talent does not mean you have to squeeze every ounce of it every Sunday to carry the team. Occasionally, Josh Allen can be a complementary player. [Sunday], he was a second pitch and a highly effective one."

It's all good as long as we make the playoffs.  Sometimes a fire under one's a$$ can be a good thing.  

Let's hope that that 2-4 slump in the middle of the season where we averaged 20.5 PF and 21.5 PA was an anomaly.  We are getting hot at the right time, and playing the way that we should be given the level of talent that we have.  

Something about getting the 7th Seed and then winning it all seems really Bills-like!  

GO BILLS!  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It's all good as long as we make the playoffs.  Sometimes a fire under one's a$$ can be a good thing.  

Let's hope that that 2-4 slump in the middle of the season where we averaged 20.5 PF and 21.5 PA was an anomaly.  We are getting hot at the right time, and playing the way that we should be given the level of talent that we have.  

Something about getting the 7th Seed and then winning it all seems really Bills-like!  

GO BILLS!  

The Bills have been one of the best December and January teams under McDermott. It’s not anything new. We just don’t appreciate it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

GO BILLS!  

Anomaly=Dorsey's playcalling 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Aren't they likely down Chase as well now though? I think it is Bengals or Browns for the wildcard. Not sure I see a path where it is both. The Jags / Colts / Texans tussle is more interesting to me. I can see a route to two of those making it. And Denver are still in it. Although I think they have to win out from here and luckily from our perspective if we win out then they are stuck behind us despite the tiebreaker. 

Higgins is back and playing very well as well for the Bengals. I can see them beating Pitt easily, and KC if the refs don’t make up calls for KC.  Browns are playing very well and their D keep them in most games and well they have been fun to watch lately. I can see both making it in. 

• Agree 1

You can potentially fault McD for waiting too long on firing Dorsey, but he eventually came to the right conclusion.  Brady has been a ray of sunshine, and McD has done a nice job with the defense considering the losses we’ve had this year.  The additions of Joseph and Douglas have been a steal.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

There’s no science to this. But, if you look at posts here, the fan base was about a month ahead of McD. The 0 points 1H, more, was pretty damning. I frankly had no expectations that Brady would entirely flip the 1H script but he did. McD hung on too long.

If the Bills lose to an inferior team (Chargers or Pats) yet again, then I won't sweat not making the playoffs.  In my view they would totally not deserve a berth and would be a fraudulent good team.

If they beat those two clubs, and lose to Miami in a defacto playoff game...and still not get in then so be it.  The early losses sunk them and it would always be "what could have been" 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4