Random talking head says something about the Bills

Simon

41 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Teams don't always finish with the same records or better every year...Levy went from 12-4 to 9-7 one year before going 13-3 2 seasons in a row.  Every season has different variables and challenges to them that need to be overcome and sometimes injuries play a bigger part in some seasons than in other seasons.

image.thumb.png.425a2553a8fa3be147b5f789ba9a133a.png

Psssst Marv Levy also never won a Super Bowl and his team choked in the Super Bowl 4 straight years. You may not have heard lmao

I think Andy Reid is an outlier.  I support tenure to a point.  I think after a while, you know where the ceiling is.  Would you be ok with Sean McDermott under any of the following scenarios?  You get the impression that the "great" has come and gone.

Bill Belichick has yet to win a playoff game in the three seasons since Tom Brady left the Patriots.

Mike Tomlin hasn’t won a playoff game in six years.

John Harbaugh has just one playoff win over the last eight seasons.

Pete Carroll has one playoff win over the past six.

56 minutes ago, T master said:

McD is a very smart guy i just hope he looks at tape and recognizes what did work (And use it) & what hasn't worked (And get rid of it) both from this year & in past years & implement that stuff .

If it works or if it ain't broke don't fix it ! I'm not sure what this season holds but at this point its not looking real good . I hope they can right the ship it's not for the lack of offensive talent because the weapons are there it's just utilizing it in the proper applications !!

I disagree that he's a very smart guy in relation to good coaches in the NFL. We have an incredibly predictable team. He's been given incredible resources to pour into "his side" of the team, the defense, and that unit gives it up in the biggest moments every time. Literally every single time. Look at the biggest games we've had in McD's tenure here, we almost never get that big stop in a big game when we really need it. 

The guy is a choker and a deer in headlights when the lights are brightest. I actually think he gets off easy on 13 seconds...he made big mistakes before that even happened. Look at how conservative we were in the first half of that game after he went conservative in the AFC championship game the year before and admitted that it was a mistake...only to do the same thing all over again and this time while Josh was in an all-time zone. 

He's just not made for this and hasn't done anything to propel himself to remake himself to be built for it. He's a good coach for a team looking to re-build...not the one who is in position to get over the hump and win it against the big boys. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dpberr said:

I think Andy Reid is an outlier.  I support tenure to a point.  I think after a while, you know where the ceiling is.  Would you be ok with Sean McDermott under any of the following scenarios?  You get the impression that the "great" has come and gone.

Bill Belichick has yet to win a playoff game in the three seasons since Tom Brady left the Patriots.

Mike Tomlin hasn’t won a playoff game in six years.

John Harbaugh has just one playoff win over the last eight seasons.

Pete Carroll has one playoff win over the past six.

Tomlin won his SB in his 2nd year...made the SB again 2 years later and lost...hasn't been back since in 11 years 😧

Also has never had a losing record there tho...perhaps that causes more issues than it solves if they need a few bad years for high end talent in the draft?

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

That was click bait, he literally came to the conclusion that firing Reid would be stupid..  

Since he got Mahomes, the only QB that has stopped him was 1… Tom Brady 3-0 against him in the playoffs.  So any fan calling for the coaches head when the only QB/team was the GOAT that stopped them is silly. 

It’s actually 0-2 against Brady with Mahomes. The AFCCG and the Superbowl. The other Chiefs Reid playoffs loss to Brady was with Alex Smith. 

Getting Mahomes changed everything for Reid. His reputation went from choking in the biggest games to possibly all time great. Funny how that works when you have a great qb.

Where does that leave McD? Either he’s like early Reid who hasn’t found his Mahomes yet or he’s just a mediocre coach that can’t win it all with a great qb like Allen. I think it’s the latter. 

1 hour ago, boyst said:

see below

i liked him when he came. i really wanted Marrone to stay one more year to finish taking out the trash, honestly. but that was ok and mcd vindicated himself from my judgement when he had early success (potentially too early) with the '18 team.

i bought into him as a rebuild team after having Rex run the team with Roman and Thurman, two obvious subpar coordinators. He brought in two great candidates to run the team and it seemed like he could manage being the overseer of the team as HC. Dennison ultimately struggled.

it was against the Chargers that i first noticed a problem with him. he let Peterman start to the discontent of the entire team. to the point that the team gave up and didn't even care. they were messaging people during halftime about how it was messed up. against SD the chargers the coach took the team in unprepared and unwilling to step in when the OC was making a bad decision with peterman when it became obvious.

fast forward to '19 and what he did in Houston. he had the team in a position to win and they choked. that was more of a shrug it off thing but it was the first time we saw a team unable to do anything valuable in the postseason but it was not the last.

by tennessee in 2020 it was fairly obvious that the coach had issues. he took an unprepared team to get their ass handed to them and added a loss next week with an uninterested team against the Chiefs.  the rest of the season rocked with supreme talent and one of the best rosters in the league in a long time.

but 13 seconds was the nail in the coffin. for 2021 it was completely reasonable to see a disappointing loss to old big ben, a miserable jags game, an ass kicking from an inferior colts team we couldn't stop from scoring.

in the end, wins are wins. and most here are happy just being relevant. i think this way of thinking means you're a loser. you either want to win homecoming queen or just be happy being asked to the dance.

the question that gets asked to me all the time is if not McDermott then who? i don't have a solid answer for that because i don't pay enough attention to the candidates. but i do know that fear from possible mistakes is greater than the mistake of satisfaction over mediocracy.

fire mcdermott at the end of the year.

Sean McDermott is Lindy Ruff. Both guys who had a ton of success but now seems to be running out of steam.

we saw the murderer’s row of coaches that followed Lindy, and I am terrified at the thought of that happening to the Bills too, because I do not trust Terry to do the right thing. Ever.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Billever76 said:

Been saying this since the 13s debacle lol...finally the truth is starting to show..this is the process and its ugly

No, the “process” was turning around a pathetic nothing franchise festering in 17 years of futility and turning it into a contender. That was accomplished. I don’t know why people STILL bash the process thing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Sean McDermott is Lindy Ruff. Both guys who had a ton of success but now seems to be running out of steam.

we saw the murderer’s row of coaches that followed Lindy, and I am terrified at the thought of that happening to the Bills too, because I do not trust Terry to do the right thing. Ever.

if you're happy with us basically being the 80's and 90's Dolphins, than cool. McDermott is going to win a ton of games because he's lucky to have Josh Allen.

What would be telling is if Dorsey leaves - does anyone want to step up and work under McDermott? I'd guess many would be willing but would we hear whispers like we did with Daboll? We heard that McDermott is not easy to work with. I would love to hear Dennison's comments - he's way out of the league and a quality control guy for Sanders in Colorado.

33 minutes ago, damj said:

McDermott = Shottenheimer.

Will win alot of games, but never a championship

Who knows.

Eagles fans used to say the same about Reid, and were thrilled to see him leave Philly. Now, he's regarded as the best.

I'm not happy w/ McD, but I also know he's a solid coach. And it can be tough to find a truly great coach.

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

That was click bait, he literally came to the conclusion that firing Reid would be stupid..  

Since he got Mahomes, the only QB that has stopped him was 1… Tom Brady 3-0 against him in the playoffs.  So any fan calling for the coaches head when the only QB/team was the GOAT that stopped them is silly. 

Joe Burrow/Zac Taylor got him in an AFCCG. In fact, if any team has Mahomes and the Chiefs number right now it's Cincinnati. I know that the Chiefs got them last year, but counting regular and post-season, Joe Burrow is 3-1 against the Mahomes, Reid, and the Chiefs.

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Joe Burrow/Zac Taylor got him in an AFCCG. In fact, if any team has Mahomes and the Chiefs number right now it's Cincinnati. I know that the Chiefs got them last year, but counting regular and post-season, Joe Burrow is 3-1 against the Mahomes, Reid, and the Chiefs.

I was talking about the time the article was written and for the first 4 years he only lost because Brady bet him.

6 minutes ago, Success said:

Who knows.

Eagles fans used to say the same about Reid, and were thrilled to see him leave Philly. Now, he's regarded as the best.

I'm not happy w/ McD, but I also know he's a solid coach. And it can be tough to find a truly great coach.

It's insane that some of you guys keep bringing up Andy Reid. In his first 6 seasons he went to 4 NFC Championships and a Superbowl, with a lesser talented QB. How does McD even come close to comparing to that? We're in decline without having ever even reached anything that resembles that kind of successful apex. 

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I was talking about the time the article was written and for the first 4 years he only lost because Brady bet him.

Well in that case, you are correct. In remember in 2019 how bummed I was that the stupid Titans beat the Ravens. I really wanted to watch a Mahomes vs. MVP Lamar AFC CG. 

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

If the Bills did move on from McDermott, then I would hope they keep Beane. He also has his faults, but I would want a football man in the organization leading the search for the next HC. Terry isn't that guy.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Tomlin won his SB in his 2nd year...made the SB again 2 years later and lost...hasn't been back since in 11 years 😧

Also has never had a losing record there tho...perhaps that causes more issues than it solves if they need a few bad years for high end talent in the draft?

It's a gamble replacing the coaches for sure, especially when you have solid regular season numbers.  The 2 sides of Bills opinions now is the "fear" of going back to the drought.  I can certainly understand that if you are a younger fan.  As someone like myself, a bit older, I don't care about regular season wins any longer, I would like to see the Bills win just 1 Superbowl before I die.  If you share the belief that I have, that McDermott is not getting the best out of this team and looks like he could never win a Superbowl (Gets out coached in big games, even crappy teams this year) then it is worth the risk of going back to the drought years to try to win 1. JMO.  My buddy is a die hard Bears fan, and he said something very true.  Its more frustrating having the talent to win it all  (Allen Diggs etc) and lose to crappy teams than it is having a sorry roster and losing because of lack of talent

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Teams don't always finish with the same records or better every year...Levy went from 12-4 to 9-7 one year before going 13-3 2 seasons in a row.  Every season has different variables and challenges to them that need to be overcome and sometimes injuries play a bigger part in some seasons than in other seasons.

image.thumb.png.425a2553a8fa3be147b5f789ba9a133a.png

We can find at least one exception for any situation that we want.  But absolutely no one would say, let's keep drafting QBs only in rounds 6 & 7, that's where Purdy and Brady were found.  "You telling me that great QBs can't be had in rounds 6 & 7?"  ... for example.  Sure, anything's po;ssible, but whether it's likely is altogether another.  

Levy sucked hind teet in KC.  He was awful.  

Moreover, he too got by on the talent of the team that Polian put together.  Polian called that group of talent "special."  It was special.  

Why do you think that Levy degenerated to a .500 coach the moment that Polian was fired and stopped bringing talent in through his pipeline.  

Had we had Parcells, Johnson, or Gibbs coaching the Bills from '90 to '93, we'd have two Super Bowl wins by now.  

It's similar here, today.  

Either way, and again, we can go back-n-forth, but it doesn't matter, but at this point the pressure's on McD at the national level now to produce.  

I don't think that there are too many people out there however, even among Bills Mafia, that are going to be very patient for the same records that our prior coaching staffs and crap QBs were getting, when McD has Allen, which alone should produce double-digit wins every season.  At that point it's quite reasonable for people to seriously start asking questions as to whether it's more Allen or more McD.  Many of us already know the answer to it.  I suspect taht by week 12 or so most of the rest will too.  

But we'll see.  

And I'll say it again, to date we've had the second easiest schedule in the NFL.  If McD can even go .500 from here on out with teams at the top-half, not the bottom-half, of the league, then it'll be semi-remarkable.  

Let's see how we play against Tampa on Sunday.  The crowd's going to let us know how they feel if we treat the first half like a scrimmage again.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

No, the “process” was turning around a pathetic nothing franchise festering in 17 years of futility and turning it into a contender. That was accomplished. I don’t know why people STILL bash the process thing. 

That was more Josh allen and stefon Diggs lol..without josh allen this team struggles to win 6 games pal ...Let me ask you this?! Do you still Trust the process? I'm gonna leave this here...instead of von Miller we could have aj brown opposite diggs or devante adams....said it when McDermott and bean went and spent everything on another weapon for his defense....we have watched this scheme get absolutely shredded in every post season loss we have had 😆 

Edited by Billever76
  • Agree 1

On 10/24/2023 at 2:18 PM, PBF81 said:

Levy sucked hind teet in KC.  He was awful.  

Moreover, he too got by on the talent of the team that Polian put together.  Polian called that group of talent "special."  It was special.  

Why do you think that Levy degenerated to a .500 coach the moment that Polian was fired and stopped bringing talent in through his pipeline.  

Had we had Parcells, Johnson, or Gibbs coaching the Bills from '90 to '93, we'd have two Super Bowl wins by now.  

Sorry to go somewhat off-topic here, but this is such a bad take that gets repeated by so many posters/Bills fans.

Marv Levy was an excellent coach and well deserving of his HOF induction.

You do realize that when he was hired by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1978, they were by far the worst team in the NFL. They were coming off of a 2-12 record, had very little talent, and just before the 1978 season started, their two best defensive players decided to retire. And despite that---and having nobody QBs such as Tony Woods, Steve Fuller, and Tom Clements---the team improved each year under Levy's watch. He took them from a 2-12 team to a 9-7 team in 4 years. Not outstanding, but you have to remember this was pre-free agency, so it took teams a lot longer to turn things around and a lot of that depended on how good the front office was and how committed to winning the owner was. The year after he left, they reverted back down to 6 wins.

Not to mention that in 5 years in the CFL, he took the Montreal Allouttes to the Grey Cup 3 times, winning two Championships, being named coach of the year in 1974, and was later inducted into their HOF as well.

He also won a Championship with the Coe College Men's basketball team and in two years as head football coach at the University of New Mexico, turned that program around and won Skyline Coach of the Year. In his 5 years at William & Mary, he won Southern Conference Coach of the year twice. And twice in the NFL (1988 and 1993) he won NFL Coach of the Year.

So, NFL Coach of the year twice, CFL coach of the year, Skyline Coach of the year, two-time Southern Conference coach of the year. You don't get those accolades from multiple places if you aren't really good or by just getting lucky with talent.

And, of course, the 4 Super Bowl appearances. Many NFL coaches never even make one Suer Bowl, and many very-talented teams never make a SB, let alone have the tenacity, character, and perseverance to make 4 in a row (despite the loses). How many football coaches have taken their teams to 7 Championship games? Even though he only won 2 of them, you have to be a damn good coach to take that many teams to the final game of the season.

And to say he reverted to a .500 coach when Polian left is also a bit misleading. First of all his record after Polian left was 45-35 (56.25%). The team had three of five winning seasons and three playoff appearances. But, you are also not taking into account the aging of players, etc. For example, Jim Kelly was a shell of himself in the 1996 season and was retired for the 1997 season (Levy's last two years). He had an aging team that was just trying to hold on. Not to mention that no coach does well if his front office isn't giving him talented players. That is not on the coach if the talent of the roster has been depleted.

And last point, you mention three coaches: Parcells, Johnson, and Gibbs (the coaches we lost the SBs to). And while Johnson does have a superior record against Marv (besides the two SBs, JJ was lucky to move into the AFC East as the Bills team was on the decline 1996 and 1997), it might surprise you that overall head-to-head, Marv held his own.

Marv has an 8-5 record over Parcells for their careers and they have the same overall playoff record at 11-8 or .579 win %, Bill made 3 SBs in 19 years, Marv made 4 SBs in 17 years. If Norwood's kick went through, Parcells would be 1-2 in Super Bowls and Levy 1-3. Pretty similar careers (outside of Bill's two SB wins).

Marv went 2-3 against Gibbs all-time (Joe made 4 Super Bowls in 16 years---same as Marv, but obviously Gibbs won 3 of them)

Marv was only 2-5 vs. Jimmy Johnson (Yet Marv did have a better overall winning % than Johnson: .579 to .556, and three of Johnson's wins came against a fading Buffalo team as mentioned above).

And not to mention that Marv is one of only two coaches to have a winning record against the winningest coach of all-time (Don Shula). Marv had a 17-6 record against Shula.

And let's face it, almost every team that gets to a Super Bowl has "special" talent. These coaches aren't winning SBs with JAGs. Are you telling me that that Dallas team of 92-93 wasn't special talent? You can't have it two ways. We should have won because we had special talent kind of infers that the guys that did win didn't have special talent themselves.

There is no way that Bills team of the 90s would have made 4 Super Bowls without Marv's leadership. They would have collapsed and self-imploded with all of those egos, they wouldn't have had the perseverance they did, etc. It is like talking about QBs, there are intangibles that don't show up on the stat sheet or in the win column. The way he brought those guys together and kept them going through all of the adversity, nay-saying, animosity towards the team (by the 3rd and 4th SB), etc. just can't be measured, but was integral in making that team who they were. 

Bills fans should give Marv the respect he deserves as an All-time great coach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, folz said:

Sorry to go somewhat off-topic here, but this is such a bad take that gets repeated by so many posters/Bills fans.

Marv Levy was an excellent coach and well deserving of his HOF induction.

You do realize that when he was hired by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1978, they were by far the worst team in the NFL. They were coming off of a 2-12 record, had very little talent, and just before the 1978 season started, their two best defensive players decided to retire. And despite that---and having nobody QBs such as Tony Woods, Steve Fuller, and Tom Clements---the team improved each year under Levy's watch. He took them from a 2-12 team to a 9-7 team in 4 years. Not outstanding, but you have to remember this was pre-free agency, so it took teams a lot longer to turn things around and a lot of that depended on how good the front office was and how committed to winning the owner was. The year after he left, they reverted back down to 6 wins.

Not to mention that in 5 years in the CFL, he took the Montreal Allouttes to the Grey Cup 3 times, winning two Championships, being named coach of the year in 1974, and was later inducted into their HOF as well.

He also won a Championship with the Coe College Men's basketball team and in two years as head football coach at the University of New Mexico, turned that program around and won Skyline Coach of the Year. In his 5 years at William & Mary, he won Southern Conference Coach of the year twice. And twice in the NFL (1988 and 1993) he won NFL Coach of the Year.

So, NFL Coach of the year twice, CFL coach of the year, Skyline Coach of the year, two-time Southern Conference coach of the year. You don't get those accolades from multiple places if you aren't really good or by just getting lucky with talent.

And, of course, the 4 Super Bowl appearances. Many NFL coaches never even make one Suer Bowl, and many very-talented teams never make a SB, let alone have the tenacity, character, and perseverance to make 4 in a row (despite the loses). How many football coaches have taken their teams to 7 Championship games? Even though he only won 2 of them, you have to be a damn good coach to take that many teams to the final game of the season.

And to say he reverted to a .500 coach when Polian left is also a bit misleading. First of all his record after Polian left was 45-35 (56.25%). The team had three of five winning seasons and three playoff appearances. But, you are also not taking into account the aging of players, etc. For example, Jim Kelly was a shell of himself in the 1996 season and was retired for the 1997 season (Levy's last two years). He had an aging team that was just trying to hold on. Not to mention that no coach does well if his front office isn't giving him talented players. That is not on the coach if the talent of the roster has been depleted.

And last point, you mention three coaches: Parcells, Johnson, and Gibbs (the coaches we lost the SBs to). And while Johnson does have a superior record against Marv (besides the two SBs, JJ was lucky to move into the AFC East as the Bills team was on the decline 1996 and 1997), it might surprise you that overall head-to-head, Marv held his own.

Marv has an 8-5 record over Parcells for their careers and they have the same overall playoff record at 11-8 or .579 win %, Bill made 3 SBs in 19 years, Marv made 4 SBs in 17 years. If Norwood's kick went through, Parcells would be 1-2 in Super Bowls and Levy 1-3. Pretty similar careers (outside of Bill's two SB wins).

Marv went 2-3 against Gibbs all-time (Joe made 4 Super Bowls in 16 years---same as Marv, but obviously Gibbs won 3 of them)

Marv was only 2-5 vs. Jimmy Johnson (Yet Marv did have a better overall winning % than Johnson: .579 to .556, and three of Johnson's wins came against a fading Buffalo team as mentioned above).

And not to mention that Marv is one of only two coaches to have a winning record against the winningest coach of all-time (Don Shula). Marv had a 17-6 record against Shula.

And let's face it, almost every team that gets to a Super Bowl has "special" talent. These coaches aren't winning SBs with JAGs. Are you telling me that that Dallas team of 92-93 wasn't special talent? You can't have it two ways. We should have won because we had special talent kind of infers that the guys that did win didn't have special talent themselves.

There is no way that Bills team of the 90s would have made 4 Super Bowls without Marv's leadership. They would have collapsed and self-imploded with all of those egos, they wouldn't have had the perseverance they did, etc. It is like talking about QBs, there are intangibles that don't show up on the stat sheet or in the win column. The way he brought those guys together and kept them going through all of the adversity, nay-saying, animosity towards the team (by the 3rd and 4th SB), etc. just can't be measured, but was integral in making that team who they were. 

Bills fans should give Marv the respect he deserves as an All-time great coach.

We'll simply have to disagree.  

BTW, you forgot Marv's pop-warner accolades in there.  ;) 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is some truth to it but equally.... there are some bits that he is just wrong about. 

1. The Bills have been constantly rebuilding their defensive line. And with expensive pieces too. That has never been nailed and that is on Brandon Beane. Way too many misses.

2. I don't think the Bills have lacked identity for 7 years. They have lacked it since about the middle of last season, especially on offense. 

3. Beane's comments are in the context of losing some pieces and that cannot be overlooked. No team has more cap dollars on IR than the Bills. 

4. Kyle Shanhan's teams are decidedly not "smart situationally." In fact as is under discussion elsewhere they are 1-31 when trailing by 3 in the 4th. What Kyle Shanhan's team are is a playground bully who will pummel you for 3 quarters. But if you can be fast and keep moving and avoiding the big hits and get San Francisco into the 4th? You can beat them. And actually his offense's identity since losing two all pros has been scoring 17 points per game.

What he is right about:

1. When you have Josh Allen the bar is Championships. 

2. The Bills have had more continuity generally than some of those other teams (I am not sold that is actually a good thing). 

3. Sean McDermott has had 7 year and that in the modern NFL is a long time with one championship game appearance. The clock is ticking. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Jets 49ers, Eagles all have more success and are in a better postion than the Bills because this clown thinks they have an identity?  The 49ers and Eagles dont have playoff flameouts?  This is taking something Beane said out of context but that is what these clowns do.  The one thing I do agree with is when he said the standard with Josh Allen is Super Bowl's.  At this point there is only one thing this team can do to shut these guys up.  Meanwhile the Jets can miss the playoffs and get spoken about like they are doing it all right.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

There is some truth to it but equally.... there are some bits that he is just wrong about. 

1. The Bills have been constantly rebuilding their defensive line. And with expensive pieces too. That has never been nailed and that is on Brandon Beane. Way too many misses.

2. I don't think the Bills have lacked identity for 7 years. They have lacked it since about the middle of last season, especially on offense. 

3. Beane's comments are in the context of losing some pieces and that cannot be overlooked. No team has more cap dollars on IR than the Bills. 

4. Kyle Shanhan's teams are decidedly not "smart situationally." In fact as is under discussion elsewhere they are 1-31 when trailing by 3 in the 4th. What Kyle Shanhan's team are is a playground bully who will pummel you for 3 quarters. But if you can be fast and keep moving and avoiding the big hits and get San Francisco into the 4th? You can beat them. And actually his offense's identity since losing two all pros has been scoring 17 points per game.

What he is right about:

1. When you have Josh Allen the bar is Championships. 

2. The Bills have had more continuity generally than some of those other teams (I am not sold that is actually a good thing). 

3. Sean McDermott has had 7 year and that in the modern NFL is a long time with one championship game appearance. The clock is ticking. 

Let me try to interject on some of your points. First off, very well thought out response. 

Your wrong points: 

#1. I think that's more of a right for Colin then a wrong. It's probably more accurate if he called out the Bills attempts to rebuild and woefully missed. Also, I believe he compared the rebuilding process to a KC team who retooled their WR and solidified their oline very quickly. He's not wrong here.

#2. I think his use of the word "identity" is too shallow and doesn't paint an accurate picture. He did go on the specifically say the Bills were way to dependent on Josh. That's been a knock on the Bills for years. Quite similar to a Carolina team lead by a QB named Cam Newton. In essence the identity is Josh Allen has to be Superman. 

#3. I think Colin twisted Beane's wording to fit his narrative. He took what he said out of context. Agree with what you stated.

#4. Kyle S get a lot of praise and media attention . He's a very good coach but he reminds me of a bridesmaid. He hadn't gotten his team over the top either. Feels like he gets a pass because he doesn't have a franchise QB. He's very good but slightly overrated in my eyes. With that said, if trade him for McD tomorrow. 

Right points:

#1. Spot on. Time keeps ticking with too many wasted opportunities. Makes me wonder if Josh would ever consider moving on to another team. That though makes my stomach uneasy 

#2. Interesting perspective. That requires a lot of dissection..

#3. McD seat is likely to get hotter and hotter. I think it's overdue that some are finally questioning the coach. Colin  appropriately questioning him is a good thing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Oh well, remember, it's all about getting people like us to react. He succeeded. He overreacts to one comment and is slightly right but more wrong (or uninformed) than right.

He has a running narrative about the Bills and uses any tidbit he can to support it. He pulls this comment out of context to do just that.

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Let me try to interject on some of your points. First off, very well thought out response. 

Your wrong points: 

#1. I think that's more of a right for Colin then a wrong. It's probably more accurate if he called out the Bills attempts to rebuild and woefully missed. Also, I believe he compared the rebuilding process to a KC team who retooled their WR and solidified their oline very quickly. He's not wrong here.

#2. I think his use of the word "identity" is too shallow and doesn't paint an accurate picture. He did go on the specifically say the Bills were way to dependent on Josh. That's been a knock on the Bills for years. Quite similar to a Carolina team lead by a QB named Cam Newton. In essence the identity is Josh Allen has to be Superman. 

#3. I think Colin twisted Beane's wording to fit his narrative. He took what he said out of context. Agree with what you stated.

#4. Kyle S get a lot of praise and media attention . He's a very good coach but he reminds me of a bridesmaid. He hadn't gotten his team over the top either. Feels like he gets a pass because he doesn't have a franchise QB. He's very good but slightly overrated in my eyes. With that said, if trade him for McD tomorrow. 

Right points:

#1. Spot on. Time keeps ticking with too many wasted opportunities. Makes me wonder if Josh would ever consider moving on to another team. That though makes my stomach uneasy 

#2. Interesting perspective. That requires a lot of dissection..

#3. McD seat is likely to get hotter and hotter. I think it's overdue that some are finally questioning the coach. Colin  appropriately questioning him is a good thing. 

KC retooled their WR room? Did they? They have the worst receivers in the league. KC did a good job rebuilding their secondary and their offensive line. But their wide receivers are atrocious. They had Juju as a one year sticking plaster. I don't call thar retooling. Not at all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Oh well, remember, it's all about getting people like us to react. He succeeded. He overreacts to one comment and is slightly right but more wrong (or uninformed) than right.

He has a running narrative about the Bills and uses any tidbit he can to support it. He pulls this comment out of context to do just that.

I agree but he did hit some very key points that shouldn't be overlooked with his other noisy points. 

• Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

KC retooled their WR room? Did they? They have the worst receivers in the league. KC did a good job rebuilding their secondary and their offensive line. But their wide receivers are atrocious. They had Juju as a one year sticking plaster. I don't call thar retooling. Not at all.

You are right. Let me clarify what I meant. They lost the best WR in the league to Miami. So many thought their offense would really suffer. If memory serves me right, their offense wasn't great early to mid season. Come playoff time that offense was almost unstoppable despite a weaker WR core. The didn't miss a great and win the Superbowl. Beat down a dominate Eagle defense. Maybe they don't need to retool?

So you can slander the KC WRs or call it whatever you wish. Poor, poor retooling, terrible, etc...KC didn't miss a beat come playoff time. 

Fast forward to this year. Looks awfully similar to last year. The rookie WR Rice is going to be a problem for opposing defenses. 

It's pretty hard to slam the KC process because they win and win Superbowls. 

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I call it winning. Whatever they did worked. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Correct me if I am misquoting you but many times you have posted that Beane and McDermott have  "equal say" wrt personnel. Once you even said that you think that McDermott could override Beane (a comment with which I fully agree).  

Given this, why is it suddenly "on Brandon Beane?" It would seem that you are absolving McDermott from any blame, whereas imo he deserves the majority of it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You are right. Let me clarify what I meant. They lost the best WR in the league to Miami. So many thought their offense would really suffer. If memory serves me right, their offense wasn't great early to mid season. Come playoff time that offense was almost unstoppable despite a weaker WR core. The didn't miss a great and win the Superbowl. Beat down a dominate Eagle defense. Maybe they don't need to retool?

So you can slander the KC WRs or call it whatever you wish. Poor, poor retooling, terrible, etc...KC didn't miss a beat come playoff time. 

Fast forward to this year. Looks awfully similar to last year. The rookie WR Rice is going to be a problem for opposing defenses. 

It's pretty hard to slam the KC process because they win and win Superbowls. 

I call it winning. Whatever they did worked. 

In the Superbowl Kelce had 81 yards. Juju had 53. The rest of their receivers had 27 between them. They didn't retool effectively in that unit. 

I quite like Rice too, did at draft time, but he is still developing and isn't a #1 WR in any event. The others are not good. Not good at all. 

27 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Correct me if I am misquoting you but many times you have posted that Beane and McDermott have  "equal say" wrt personnel. Once you even said that you think that McDermott could override Beane (a comment with which I fully agree).  

Given this, why is it suddenly "on Brandon Beane?" It would seem that you are absolving McDermott from any blame, whereas imo he deserves the majority of it.

No I don't think they have equal say on personnel. Brandon Beane runs personnel. That is what happens. I know you don't like it, but it's the truth. 

Yes, I believe McDermott could override theoretically. He has more power in the organisation. But he doesn't. It isn't in practice how the Bills operate accorinding to people who have been in those rooms. Blame for the endless wasted cap dollars on the Dline belongs to Brandon Beane.

• Like (+1) 1