Random talking head says something about the Bills

Simon

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Andy Reid has been a head coach since 1999 and won his first Superbowl in 2019.  The Eagles fired Reid in 2013 and won a ring in 2017.

So do we have to wait 14 more years with McDermott?

Andy Reid also had 4 straight championship game appearances and a superbowl appearance before he was fired also....McDermott isn't even close to the fired version of Reid 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, muppy said:

so @boyst chatroom rep is vindicated because our head coach stinks and wants a crown for his prophetic gifts? Is that what I'm reading here?

Meh nah  . NICE TRY though 🙂 

question: would you celebrate if McD did win an NFL championship in Buffalo? And when that happens what will you do with your crown?

lol

i double down and call it a fluke. obviously.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Umm Andy Reid was always chastised for not being able to win the NFCC Game. He would get there and lose every time he got there, he finally gets over that hump and loses to NE in the SB. They never said that about him in KC. Matter fact people thought he over accomplished with Smith. 

So I disagree with saying he was similar to the Bills Coach criticism. He had post season success. 

https://arrowheadguys.com/should-the-chiefs-fire-andy-reid/

38 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

People said the same thing about Andy Reid too. Sometimes it just take time and some lessons to be learned.

And sometimes, like what happened with Andy Reid...a reset is best for all parties involved. 

Moving on from Reid refreshed the Eagles and worked out well for him. It let Andy reset and start new and it worked out for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That was click bait, he literally came to the conclusion that firing Reid would be stupid..  

Since he got Mahomes, the only QB that has stopped him was 1… Tom Brady 3-0 against him in the playoffs.  So any fan calling for the coaches head when the only QB/team was the GOAT that stopped them is silly. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And sometimes, like what happened with Andy Reid...a reset is best for all parties involved. 

Moving on from Reid refreshed the Eagles and worked out well for him. It let Andy reset and start new and it worked out for him. 

Yeah, there is truth to that too at times...sometimes the same voice starts falling on deaf ears when they have heard the message too many times.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

People said the same thing about Andy Reid too. Sometimes it just take time and some lessons to be learned.

And sometimes it's just obvious but people are hesitant to acknowledge it.  

Citing one exception, even two or three, is a sea of support is hardly inspiring.  

:) 

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

And sometimes it's just obvious but people are hesitant to acknowledge it.  

Citing one exception, even two or three, is a sea of support is hardly inspiring.  

There is somehow the thought that just because a person hasn't succeeded yet, it means they never will. What most people don't understand is that failure is your greatest teacher most times and if you harness the lessons learned from that, it is what propels you to future successes.  Show me a person who has never failed and I will show you a person who has not accomplished much of anything.

Could you imagine where we would be as a society technologically if people just gave up trying after it didn't work for a few years?  Ask Thomas Edison.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree with this. 

And that's the plateau I feel we are on or fast approaching right now. 

Same thing happened with the Sabres and Lindy Ruff.  Great coach...it was just time for a new voice.

• Agree 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Probably because of the faith thing.

see below

22 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

People who have hated McD since the day he got here are rubbing their hands with glee

i liked him when he came. i really wanted Marrone to stay one more year to finish taking out the trash, honestly. but that was ok and mcd vindicated himself from my judgement when he had early success (potentially too early) with the '18 team.

i bought into him as a rebuild team after having Rex run the team with Roman and Thurman, two obvious subpar coordinators. He brought in two great candidates to run the team and it seemed like he could manage being the overseer of the team as HC. Dennison ultimately struggled.

it was against the Chargers that i first noticed a problem with him. he let Peterman start to the discontent of the entire team. to the point that the team gave up and didn't even care. they were messaging people during halftime about how it was messed up. against SD the chargers the coach took the team in unprepared and unwilling to step in when the OC was making a bad decision with peterman when it became obvious.

fast forward to '19 and what he did in Houston. he had the team in a position to win and they choked. that was more of a shrug it off thing but it was the first time we saw a team unable to do anything valuable in the postseason but it was not the last.

by tennessee in 2020 it was fairly obvious that the coach had issues. he took an unprepared team to get their ass handed to them and added a loss next week with an uninterested team against the Chiefs.  the rest of the season rocked with supreme talent and one of the best rosters in the league in a long time.

but 13 seconds was the nail in the coffin. for 2021 it was completely reasonable to see a disappointing loss to old big ben, a miserable jags game, an ass kicking from an inferior colts team we couldn't stop from scoring.

in the end, wins are wins. and most here are happy just being relevant. i think this way of thinking means you're a loser. you either want to win homecoming queen or just be happy being asked to the dance.

the question that gets asked to me all the time is if not McDermott then who? i don't have a solid answer for that because i don't pay enough attention to the candidates. but i do know that fear from possible mistakes is greater than the mistake of satisfaction over mediocracy.

fire mcdermott at the end of the year.

• Thank you (+1) 3

defense has failed in the same manner over and over again  Defending a lead they played scared and soft against Mac friggin Jones  How do you again give up 40 yards on a screen pass ?  That is on McDermott  Not sure how many more failures he needs till he tries a different tactic like dictating to a offense what they can and cannot do

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

There is somehow the thought that just because a person hasn't succeeded yet, it means they never will. What most people don't understand is that failure is your greatest teacher most times and if you harness the lessons learned from that, it is what propels you to future successes.  Show me a person who has never failed and I will show you a person who has not accomplished much of anything.

Could you imagine where we would be as a society technologically if people just gave up trying after it didn't work for a few years?  Ask Thomas Edison.

That's fair to an extent, but 7 seasons in with little to no evidence that he's actually learned anything?  

That's where we are.  It's hardly as if we're "inching closer every season much less every game," it's quite the opposite now, with McD toying with drought-era futility, while having Allen at QB.  

Here's the thing, there's no proof, but it's equally and even statistically far more likely that he's not cutting it, and we don't have forever with Allen.  And if his shoulder is bothering him, who knows what's really wrong, I'm sure they won't tell us, and he'll continue to take beatings more often without developments on offense, but Allen's one hit away from us not having him.  

20 minutes ago, muppy said:

consistent to the bitter end. I respect that 🙂

i'd eat some crow that he took us their but still stand on what i said above. he's had to take a lot of lumps to barely learn anything.

let him go back to the panthers and rebuild them.

-------------

i really wish people had more knowledge of how ugly that lockerroom was for Peterman starting over Taylor in '17. McDermott let it happen.

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1

Biggest surprise for Bills fans is our defense isn't good. And hasn't been good for awhile. Twenty nine points against a terrible offense? Once again team goes through us like a hot knife through butter when games in balance. See this too many times. Dorsey didn't lose this our Defense lost this.

15 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

That was click bait, he literally came to the conclusion that firing Reid would be stupid..  

Since he got Mahomes, the only QB that has stopped him was 1… Tom Brady 3-0 against him in the playoffs.  So any fan calling for the coaches head when the only QB/team was the GOAT that stopped them is silly. 

After the 4th quarter collapse against the Colts, I was seeing "Fire Reid" a ton.  

57 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It seems like the Bills always need this "written off for dead" moment to get the juices flowing.  Then they come out with a chip on their shoulder and rip off a bunch of wins.

That upcoming schedule looks daunting though.

The problem is the rest of the nfl has tape on McDermott and his tendencies. Stick a fork in this years squad. We are done.

wish it wasn’t so.

20 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

That's fair to an extent, but 7 seasons in with little to no evidence that he's actually learned anything?  

That's where we are.  It's hardly as if we're "inching closer every season much less every game," it's quite the opposite now, with McD toying with drought-era futility, while having Allen at QB.  

Here's the thing, there's no proof, but it's equally and even statistically far more likely that he's not cutting it, and we don't have forever with Allen.  And if his shoulder is bothering him, who knows what's really wrong, I'm sure they won't tell us, and he'll continue to take beatings more often without developments on offense, but Allen's one hit away from us not having him.  

Drought era futility while having the highest winning percentage in franchise history and winning playoff games in every year since 2019 while making the playoffs 5 out of 6 seasons so far?  Are you mad? That's about as far from drought era futility as you can be.

Edited by Big Turk

McD is a very smart guy i just hope he looks at tape and recognizes what did work (And use it) & what hasn't worked (And get rid of it) both from this year & in past years & implement that stuff .

If it works or if it ain't broke don't fix it ! I'm not sure what this season holds but at this point its not looking real good . I hope they can right the ship it's not for the lack of offensive talent because the weapons are there it's just utilizing it in the proper applications !!

Just now, Big Turk said:

Drought era futility while having the highest winning percentage in franchise history and winning playoff games in every year since 2019 while making the playoffs 5 out of 6 seasons so far?  Are you mad? That's about as far from drought era futility as you can be.

Well, that's what we're about to find out.  

And hey, if he can turn this ship around and finish 12-5, and make a decent showing in the playoffs, good on him.  He'll have my support.  

Until then, if he doesn't do that, and manages only 9 or 10 wins, as implied, he's moving this rig in the opposite direction.  

We can go back-n-forth on this, there are obviously two camps here.  But the existing trend is in the opposite direction from your statements above.  That's pretty undeniable, which is why the entire nation is catching on.  

What those in the pro-McD camp completely fail to realize, is that maybe he really has capped out.  As another poster put it, some people are good and coming in and resurrecting companies, but that doesn't make them good candidates to be CEOs going forward.  It's quite possible and even incredibly likely, that this is the case here.  Ignoring that possibility does not alter the circumstances.  Why would it.  

Just now, T master said:

McD is a very smart guy i just hope he looks at tape and recognizes what did work (And use it) & what hasn't worked (And get rid of it) both from this year & in past years & implement that stuff .

If it works or if it ain't broke don't fix it ! I'm not sure what this season holds but at this point its not looking real good . I hope they can right the ship it's not for the lack of offensive talent because the weapons are there it's just utilizing it in the proper applications !!

Completely disagree with this take. McD is less of a smart guy and more of a hard worker.  He's not going to be tinkering with the offense because he has no background in offense and would be in way over his head. And actually, we are lacking in offensive weapons.  Outside of Diggs, we have nobody that d coordinators worry about. Kincaid is coming along and Cook has some nice pieces to his game but we absolutely need another weapon at #2 WR.  

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No one is disputing that McDermott has done a lot of good in Buffalo. He deserves tons of credit for the turnaround here and has won plenty of games. It is also fair to ask if he can get the team over the proverbial hump. I am always optimistic that he can, but this year and the end of last year has really made me question if he can.

Is he a guy that can build a consistent winning program? Yes, that much is clear. Can he build a championship team? That is up for debate. Right now the team doesn't look like they can win the division, much less a championship. He has to do better 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, that's what we're about to find out.  

And hey, if he can turn this ship around and finish 12-5, and make a decent showing in the playoffs, good on him.  He'll have my support.  

Until then, if he doesn't do that, and manages only 9 or 10 wins, as implied, he's moving this rig in the opposite direction.  

We can go back-n-forth on this, there are obviously two camps here.  But the existing trend is in the opposite direction from your statements above.  That's pretty undeniable, which is why the entire nation is catching on.  

What those in the pro-McD camp completely fail to realize, is that maybe he really has capped out.  As another poster put it, some people are good and coming in and resurrecting companies, but that doesn't make them good candidates to be CEOs going forward.  It's quite possible and even incredibly likely, that this is the case here.  Ignoring that possibility does not alter the circumstances.  Why would it.  

Teams don't always finish with the same records or better every year...Levy went from 12-4 to 9-7 one year before going 13-3 2 seasons in a row.  Every season has different variables and challenges to them that need to be overcome and sometimes injuries play a bigger part in some seasons than in other seasons.

image.thumb.png.425a2553a8fa3be147b5f789ba9a133a.png

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, boyst said:

i'd eat some crow that he took us their but still stand on what i said above. he's had to take a lot of lumps to barely learn anything.

let him go back to the panthers and rebuild them.

-------------

i really wish people had more knowledge of how ugly that lockerroom was for Peterman starting over Taylor in '17. McDermott let it happen.

Tyrod needed to get benched after his pathetic performance against NOLA the week before. I had/have no problem with Peterman playing against the Chargers, it was the fact he was on the team the next year and started the season opener that got me. 

The "Andy Reid didn't win right away" take is embarrassing. He also didn't win a SB with his 1st team but took them to the NFC title game 4 years in a row and the SB. The farthest the Bills have gotten is the AFCCG once and that wasn't a close contest.

More importantly on Reid, once the peak happened in Philly, it was mostly all downhill from there. And it ended really badly.

There is rarely a "phoenix" moment for coaches staying with the same team. The only one that comes to mind is Sean Payton in NO.

I'm not saying they should fire McDermott but if this has peaked it's likely that it won't be turned around by him.

• McBean changed the title to [Name Only Title] Adam Schein- Says what some of us have been saying for years about our HC
14 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Completely disagree with this take. McD is less of a smart guy and more of a hard worker.  He's not going to be tinkering with the offense because he has no background in offense and would be in way over his head. And actually, we are lacking in offensive weapons.  Outside of Diggs, we have nobody that d coordinators worry about. Kincaid is coming along and Cook has some nice pieces to his game but we absolutely need another weapon at #2 WR.  

You don't get to be a HC in the NFL for being a dum A** you have to have a certain degree of intelligence and have to agree that McD is a hard worker . 

They really aren't putting Sheffield to the test (could be a weapon 🤔) The weapons in the run game this year are better plus I thought Kinkaid was suppose to be the other TE/WR ? And even though Knox isn't Gronk or Kelsey he's not a bad compliment to the passing game 1 when his hand doesn't need surgery & 2 is used or looked to more for his strengths .

Diggs is definitely the exception dude is playing out of his freaking mind !! It would be nice to have more of those players but for now use what is there & see what might be from some other players on the roster that have talent to come up with the solution . 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

The full scope of what you’re suggesting includes the fact that Andy Reid burned through one franchise quarterback’s entire useful career. McNabb and Reid were together in Philly for 11 seasons. Their peak was one SB appearance - and loss. I am not choosing McDermott over Allen. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

So I disagree with saying he was similar to the Bills Coach criticism. He had post season success.

MCD is too young in his career as HC to use the post season W-L record. It's more that many of us "feel" that while he is very good, he is not great, and that it makes winning a SB that much more challenging. 

He used to at least really have the respect of his players, and be able to motivate them. Does he still has that? That's a key question. A great OC and these Bills win. I do think as a DC, except for last game, McD is quite good! So IF he has his players in line for the common goal, is a great DC, and has someone great as OC, he's not missing ingredients here!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Biggest surprise for Bills fans is our defense isn't good. And hasn't been good for awhile. Twenty nine points against a terrible offense? Once again team goes through us like a hot knife through butter when games in balance. See this too many times. Dorsey didn't lose this our Defense lost this.

I mean, that’s pretty much what everyone feared would happen with four starters (most if not all KEY starters, too) out on defense.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Agree but there's a requirement to demonstrate progress and can anyone honestly say there's been any measurable improvement in Sean's performance over time?

Bad decisions, game and clock management issues, a host of blunders and one of a kind heartbreaking losses?  A team thst looks and plays lost and lifeless?  

The problem with patience taken to the extreme is we'll likely all be dead before this staff finds the answer.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

41 minutes ago, T master said:

i think Pegula should hire AI to coach our team. Prime has been doing wonders showcasing blitzes and predicting the plays. i think we can use that for our team to coach us.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Probably because of the faith thing.

This is the dumbest take. People poke fun at it but that's not the reason they dislike him. Look at Josh, he's a faith guy and he's beloved even when he struggles. There's a ton of players and coaches that have their beliefs and nobody cares. 

I would hope that's not happening the other way around either where people are just defending him because they're Christians too instead of looking at him for what he is - a Mid coach that's in over his head.