Officials allowed the Chiefs to cheat the entire game

Gisele

Was talked about a lot during the game but haven't seen it here.  The league better let it go this weekend but starting next Tuesday, they'd better address this with all officiating crews.  Allowing the tackles to line up in the backfield AND ignoring the false starts is totally unacceptable.  

• Like (+1) 20
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 32
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

It's literally a carbon copy of what happened to us against the Jags a couple years ago, and cost us the game.  Sure we played like crap, but it was a close game and all the non calls for their RT being a full 2 yards off the ball when snapped on every play helped the Jags.

*edit*

Tackles lining up so far back and never being called for it is one of my biggest pet peeves about officiating.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3

Chiefs need to fix it. Here's why.

If you paid attention to Taylor on almost every play, he way tipping run/pass.

When he would line up further back and rock before the snap- pass. Almost every time. However on run plays he was up more in line with the OG and didn't flinch. Hutch is a really good player, but this was one reason why on pass plays he came like he was shot out of a cannon. 

• Like (+1) 21
  • Agree 2

It's crazy what the officials allowed on the OL.  During his last years with the Eagles, Jason Peters seemed to perfect the technique of being constantly Offside.  It appears his peers have picked up on what officials let him get away with in the twilight of his career and have exploited it.  You can see this in almost every game now.  

It's a copy cat league, and everyone is picking up on what the Eagles do.  It's not a fast start, they're Offside a lot, no matter what SI says: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/07/the-lane-johnson-controversy

Edited by YodaMan79
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

When he would line up further back and rock before the snap- pass. Almost every time. However on run plays he was up more in line with the OG and didn't flinch. Hutch is a really good player, but this was one reason why on pass plays he came like he was shot out of a cannon. 

That rocking back and forth like a drug addict was a bigger tell than Lamar's habit of tucking his chin on handoffs and keeping his head up if he was going to keep it and run.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I was sort of half paying attention last night and I caught it, too.  Totally right.  Taylor was fidgeting with his feet a lot on pass plays, too.  

• Agree 1

Some of the onus lies of the Lions staff and players for not bringing it to the officials attention (if they did not do so). If they did and it was still allowed then that is not a good look at all, on national TV with even the announcers cracking jokes about it almost every play. It was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Some of the onus lies of the Lions staff and players for not bringing it to the officials attention (if they did not do so). If they did and it was still allowed then that is not a good look at all, on national TV with even the announcers cracking jokes about it almost every play. It was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

why would they want the Chiefs to stop tipping their plays?

• Agree 6

12 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

It's crazy what the officials allowed on the OL.  During his last years with the Eagles, Jason Peters seemed to perfect the technique of being constantly Offside.  It appears his peers have picked up on what officials let him get away with in the twilight of his career and have exploited it.  You can see this in almost every game now.  

It's a copy cat league, and everyone is picking up on what the Eagles do.  It's not a fast start, they're Offside a lot, no matter what SI says: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/07/the-lane-johnson-controversy

I think you are misusing the term “offside”. Illegal formation, on the line/off the line are the terms for what you’re referring to. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Shortchaz said:

I think you are misusing the term “offside”. Illegal formation, on the line/off the line are the terms for what you’re referring to. 

That too.  Lane Johnson and Peters seemed like they were getting head start on passing plays a majority of the time. 

28 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Exactly - the Lion's staff shouldn't have to tell the ref's that a O lineman lining up in the backfield is a penalty.

• Like (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

When he would line up further back and rock before the snap-

That rocking should have been a penalty unto itself, shouldn't it?

Some plays he rocked multiple times before the(his) snap. Any movement once set is supposed to be a penalty, surely?

• Like (+1) 8

4 minutes ago, Dibs said:

That rocking should have been a penalty unto itself, shouldn't it?

Some plays he rocked multiple times before the(his) snap. Any movement once set is supposed to be a penalty, surely?

I would think so. Don’t know if there’s a line of discretion for an official…

Maybe he’s still in shock and can’t contain himself that KC are paying him $20m p/y. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

On one play, Collinsworth, looking at the replay, said the Right tackle was lined up like a Slot Receiver.

Nails on a chalkboard everytime that guy opens his mouth but I never thought i'd live to see the day that he said/observed anything negative about the chiefs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As Chris Simms has repeatedly said (and I agree with him), o-line players across the board are getting more non-calls going their way these days because today’s defensive linemen are SUCH better athletes than before — and better athletes by a good ways than offensive linemen on average. They’re basically changing the rules to account for this disparity without actually officially changing them. I have come to accept it because at least I know the unwritten rules now. I suggest just accepting it. The league wants to protect QBs, and this is how they do it in a context of physically overmatched offensive linemen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yup. Refs were dumb not to call it but Detroit might not have wanted it called. It was so blatantly obviously when the Chiefs were running or passing.

weirdly, Reid Will probably note this and start using it to confuse teams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

John, one thing that saves me a lot of stress is complaining about holding. Every play has holding. It will drive you insane if you get made about every missed holding call. 

When you see this happen, it's a little more than "it happens on every play" though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The best part of it all....when the refs FINALLY called him for it on 4th and 20 to make it 4th and 25. I was cackle laughing.

Yeah I literally burst out into laughter when they did that. My girlfriend who’s a Chiefs fan didn’t see the humor 😅

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

As Chris Simms has repeatedly said (and I agree with him), o-line players across the board are getting more non-calls going their way these days because today’s defensive linemen are SUCH better athletes than before — and better athletes by a good ways than offensive linemen on average. They’re basically changing the rules to account for this disparity without actually officially changing them. I have come to accept it because at least I know the unwritten rules now. I suggest just accepting it. The league wants to protect QBs, and this is how they do it in a context of physically overmatched offensive linemen.

I thought this too and seems like the only explanation. As bad as NFL officiating is there's no way the refs are that incompetent to miss false starts all game so they gave him the equivalent of the "extra split second after the clock hits zero" delay of game penalty leniency.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Your Brown Eye said:

The Lions coaching staff was busy accepting a penalty that gave KC a second chance on 3rd down instead of forcing 4th down.  The announcers completely missed it but they mentioned it much later, probably when someone in their ear told them the Lions had goofed.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

The Lions coaching staff was busy accepting a penalty that gave KC a second chance on 3rd down instead of forcing 4th down.  The announcers completely missed it but they mentioned it much later, probably when someone in their ear told them the Lions had goofed.

He also declined a defensive holding call that would have given the Lions an automatic first down and instead opted for an extra 2 yrds of field position. :blink:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

It was hilarious, because the RT was able to basically sit further back then he should have been allowed to to start AND get off the ball early and allowed it the whole game up until the last drive and they were finally like "aha! We got you this time!" to push them back to a 4th and 25.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I agree with all of this. If the penalty is not going to be called, then the league should remove any pretext and just amend the rule and allow OTs to line up behind the center’s ass when they want to. It makes no sense to have rules if there is no intention of enforcing them. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Great point! I also think that’s why he destroyed that 3rd and 1 and tackled the RB for a 2 yard loss.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.