[Name Only Title] AJE (future)

akcash

I feel like we might lose this guy in the offseason.  I hope somehow we can get him back. I feel like he is just starting to bud and and I would hate to see another team reap the rewards.

I just feel like he is a major piece to this team this year and I hope we can get him on paper somehow in the future. He is very valuable imo. It's really something we have him as our 4th DEnd. With 6.5 sacks last year in a limited roll that's impressive. He looks alot more confident this year too.

• Agree 1

Just now, akcash said:

I feel like we might lose this guy in the offseason.  I hope somehow we can get him back. I feel like he is just starting to bud and and I would hate to see another team reap the rewards.

I just feel like he is a major piece to this team this year and I hope we can get him on paper somehow in the future. He is very valuable imo. It's really something we have him as our 4th DEnd. With 6.5 sacks last year in a limited roll that's impressive. He looks alot more confident this year too.

There’s a good chance the Bills lose Epinesa and I think they are likely ok with it.  I don’t think you’ll ever AJ as a starting DE on most rosters.  I do think he can be one of those depth ends that comes off the bench to spell players, pitch in on ST, and maybe to start in a pinch.

As far as him “budding,” I just don’t see it.  People have been expecting a breakout season for him the past two years and we basically get the same type of player.  He’s solid player but completely replaceable 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, akcash said:

I have felt this way about him coming into every season (after his rookie year), but he can’t seem to put it all together. Shows huge flashes, that’s for sure. 

• Like (+1) 2

His first two years he was constantly changing his body type with one of those years without the training camps and preseason games some consider not important.  Some also think players should be released or  whenever they wish but that is another issue.

He has not been the starter for a lot of games (1 in 2020 and 2 in 2022) but has been on 1/3 of defense game stops as well as playing on special teams.

His performance got better last year and I still think he is on the upslope.

Bills should offer him an cap friendly extension now with incentives able to be earned and if he is not interested let him take his chances in free agency.

2 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Saw him at Bar Bill once and the hostess offered him and his guest a table right away, but he insisted he be added to the wait list like anyone else who walked in. 

I saw him try to save a puppy running down the street without a leash.  

He couldn’t chase it down. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

55 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

But how is it possible for someone to think his name is Espenosa? It's inexplicable

Espenosa and Epenesa are both last names and not oddest last names in NFL.

Espenosa is a much more common last name from medieval Spain. AJ Epenesa is Samoan-Polynesian.

Epenesa is not in any of my reference books from college.  I used to teach ESL and would look up each student in books.

There are many alternate spellings but Epenesa is not one of them.  It is possible the spell checker changed it to Espenosa.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Cracks me up the amount of pass rushers/defensive ends we have acquired or had ties to since he got drafted in 2020, has done relatively nothing for a decently high draft pick yet so many people give him a pass for being asked to change things and his “potential”. 

Dude isn’t it. Plain and simple. Wished it worked out for him here but I don’t see how unless he has a massive year why you would resign him. Can’t think of a single game changing play other than injuring Tua. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

For limited snaps he gets near the QB somewhat often. I'm not saying hes a superstar but hes definitely got a decent floor and a decent ceiling.

I think if he has a year similar to last year say maybe a little better it's definitely not out of the question he could get decent money on the open market as a low end number 2 pass rusher on a team. 

He definitely is a valuable piece to our defense this year.

6 hours ago, akcash said:

Jack Handey, is that you?

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Espenosa and Epenesa are both last names and not oddest last names in NFL.

Espenosa is a much more common last name from medieval Spain. AJ Epenesa is Samoan-Polynesian.

Epenesa is not in any of my reference books from college.  I used to teach ESL and would look up each student in books.

There are many alternate spellings but Epenesa is not one of them.  It is possible the spell checker changed it to Espenosa.

So... he changed... his last name?

6 hours ago, akcash said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if AJE got 10 sacks this year. He’s a quality dark horse. His sack total has increased every year (Rousseau as well.) Hopefully he can step up in Von Miller’s absence. Whether AJE is a Bill in the future or not, he’s definitely gonna get a spot somewhere. 

• Disagree 1

Even considering the ridiculousness of the shell of Trent Murphy this place would still do cartwheels if we grabbed a guy in the offseason that was coming off 6.5 sacks in limited time. Likely replaceable yes but why really, he may be just good enough or approaching just good enough to be more valuable than the hole he'd create. Many here act like it's Allen-Diggs and a team of journeyman with no depth, well AJ is a front runner for somebody who should be approaching dependable depth at his position.

7 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

He contained the hostess but he couldn't grab her.

It was the bartender and Josh beat him to it. Baby daddy. 

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Unfortunately he's polite to opposing offense tackles too

The jokes here are so funny. Some of you should take your show on the road. 🙄

• Thank you (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

I don’t mind replacing him but can we all agree that if he gets 6.5 sacks again on limited snaps he’ll get a second contract with someone?  I don’t know that he ever becomes DE1 but I still see starter in his realizable ceiling. 

I wouldn't get too enamored with the 6.5 sacks. He will show a flash here and there. He mostly is very inconsistent and definitely not reliable. He's shown us this for years. We all want him to breakout but it's just not going to happen. The guy isn't anything but a role player. Plenty of them everywhere. 

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if AJE got 10 sacks this year. He’s a quality dark horse. His sack total has increased every year (Rousseau as well.) Hopefully he can step up in Von Miller’s absence. Whether AJE is a Bill in the future or not, he’s definitely gonna get a spot somewhere. 

Many fans have been saying this year after year without success. AJE isn't that good, not reliable, and inconsistent. The Bills need to do better. As a fan, I'm tired of the AJE hype. I won't be disappointed when he's not in a Bills uniform. 

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He won't get 10 sacks. 

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t see him being traded

Honestly, if somebody is on the block, it’s probably bush boogie Basham

I would also really hate to see the team lose Kingsley Jonathan

Basham and AJE are more the reason why the Bills have been unsuccessful than successful. Let that sink in. 

He is a fine player. Every team needs a guy like him towards the middle-end of their defensive line depth. Almost all teams already do have a guy like him. I prefer to keep him and keep the continuity with our depth during this window. If a desperate team thought he had untapped potential and gave up like a 4th and 6th for him or gave up a startable MLB or OT, I'd drive him to the airport. But I don't think a player like that has that kind of value. So just keep him knowing you have a guy who knows the system and will be fine

7 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

I don’t mind replacing him but can we all agree that if he gets 6.5 sacks again on limited snaps he’ll get a second contract with someone?  I don’t know that he ever becomes DE1 but I still see starter in his realizable ceiling. 

If he’s your starter at DE, then you are desperately trying to upgrade. A career as a rotational/backup DE is respectable. The problem is taking a player like that in the second round. If he was a fifth round pick he’d be well liked and fans would want him kept around to be DE4. But alas…..

• Like (+1) 1

Well, with Basham gone and Miller out, he's going to get starts and more snaps, and he damn well BETTER show us more.  Without a strong pass rush, our deep hole at MLB will be exposed, and we could be 2-2 or worse by the time Miller gets back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.