PSE has been "Dissolved"

Bulldog

Well the story that kind of disappeared (or maybe I missed it) was around COVID in 2020 when the Pegula's put out the memo's regarding "sustainability", renewed focus on lean, profit margins, and fired all but a few scouts on the Sabres side. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

he's been quietly shopping the sabres for a while i have heard. this might make it easier.

I could see him doing that in the past, but the team is on the cusp of the playoffs this year.

Edit: Why the laughing emoji, Dillenger4?  Do I smell a wager?

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I could see him doing that in the past, but the team is on the cusp of the playoffs this year.

That's true, but also I wouldn't blame him if he just wanted to pare things down a bit on account of everything with Kim. Not easy running two organizations and also dealing with her situation on top of it all.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

That's true, but also I wouldn't blame him if he just wanted to pare things down a bit on account of everything with Kim. Not easy running two organizations and also dealing with her situation on top of it all.

Could be, but that's why you hire people.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

he's been quietly shopping the sabres for a while i have heard. this might make it easier.

I think he wants to sell a minority stake to raise some funds. This would help him to do that. Tampa Bay Lightning literally just did this exact thing.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I dont think it's due to the team performance, as much as it is the demand of running an NFL team and not having Kim around to handle a lot of it anymore.

They have a far bigger investment (and payoff) with their NFL team. The Sabres were originally just a hobby for Terry. The Bills are a real business and serious investment.

He may feel he HAS to sell off the Sabres in order to give the Bills the proper attention.

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

The fact that the team is on the cusp probably makes them more attractive to potential buyers as well as fan interest being back up compared to the past decade.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well the story that kind of disappeared (or maybe I missed it) was around COVID in 2020 when the Pegula's put out the memo's regarding "sustainability", renewed focus on lean, profit margins, and fired all but a few scouts on the Sabres side. 

Lets not forget the infamous "Maintain lifestyle" (paraphrasing) slide that they presented to the entire company. 

That may be a totally worthy thing to talk about behind closed doors. But what a major gaffe to show company wide. 

I really like where the Sabres are heading. Terry has been a terrible hockey owner, but I hope he sticks around to see this current iteration of the team through. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BILLieve85 said:

Bills are fine. Sabres arena needs a lot of work. May be looking for investors to help with that.

Guarantee that Terry will be going to the county and the state for the major part of the arena renovation.  Only problem….he can’t do it right now, after just receiving the handout for the new football stadium. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Guarantee that Terry will be going to the county and the state for the major part of the arena renovation.  Only problem….he can’t do it right now, after just receiving the handout for the new football stadium. 

In hindsight everybody might have been better securing the Sabres here as well with a combined deal for both renovations/new-builds. 

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

This makes a lot of sense....so long as they stay in Buffalo......

It would be nice for the Pegula's to keep it all in the family. I think Jessica and Laura are very handicapable and responsible adults. 

I will be a little salty if he bought the team with the idea of "if I want more money I will dig another well" speech only to meddle for a decade and ruin the whole thing (until recently) only to sell it off. 

24 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Deer Derry,

Ah beed wahn undred dow-zand dollarz.  Doze ahr yang-ee dollarz.

Yoorz drool-ee,

Mar-DEE BOO-rahn

Need a Stanley Cup emoji....image.thumb.png.6b14b4279700e93d6b0560402c62b3c5.png

Edited by JoeF
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No way Buffalo loses the Sabres.  The league knows Buffalo is one of the best hockey towns in the NHL.

Terry is not giving up the Sabres.  The Bills and Sabres are going to go on their own which is probably a good thing.

I would think that all the other organizations that were within PSE are the ones that may have changes in them.

With the Kim situation, breaking away from "country music" and some other media stuff may keep Terry just focused on Bills and Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No way Buffalo loses the Sabres.  The league knows Buffalo is one of the best hockey towns in the NHL.

Better than Quebec City?

Gary Betman believes that.

He singlehandedly kept the Sabres in Buffalo when the Sabres Owner went BANKRUPT.

AND the Coyotes in Arizona.

Hmmm...

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Doc said:

it's a good time to sell.

he's a businessman. i don't know that he actually cares about sports or championships as much as the bottom line.

1 minute ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Better than Quebec City?

Gary Betman believes that.

He singlehandedly kept the Sabres in Buffalo when the Sabres Owner went BANKRUPT.

AND the Coyotes in Arizona.

Hmmm...

anything is better than Canada. i'd rather send the team to mexico than canada.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Estate planning.

I would say that is part of it.  The other is time management with Kim being in her challenges.

IMO, Terry would give up all the other entities that were under PSE before giving up the Bills and Sabres, and there are a bunch of them.

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Has that ever stopped them before? If they thought there was more lucrative market (higher ticket prices, luxury boxes, brand new barn, etc) out there, the league would do it. If only to play that market to get the bucks for the arena renos.

Would be nice to see the Jacobs family, Pegulas, and some other Boston magnate pull one of those ownership swaps to get the Sabres into their hands. They've helped the Bruins to a solid run here.

Just now, May Day 10 said:

The Sabres are at a sketchy point. 

Their lease is up in 2025, and that arena is now arguably the most putrid in the NHL.  It needs a lot of investment/money.  They announced a new scoreboard, sound, and a roof, but that scrapes the surface.

Really? It seems pretty nice and clean to me? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.