Ezekiel Elliot to Pats on 1 year up to $6 million deal

BuffaloBillyG

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The Pats are going to do what you have to do, go exactly the opposite of the rest of the league.  They will beat you down with the run game and limit the snaps of the opposing offense.  It’s brilliant to cover for their lack of talent.

Exactly.  Play to the strength of the team, which isn't QB.  

Zeke was still productive in a time sharing role last season with the Cowboys.  

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

Zeke is 28...not a good age for a RB with his workload. But dude has been at 2,000 rush/rec yards twice. That is a pretty good back up to have. 

He will add to their game.

Maybe not a ton. But decent pick up for them to grind out some yards.

I dislike the guy. So hoping he get blown up a few plays by Dorian

I disagree with the OP.  Elliot doesn't make the Patriots worse.  Stevenson wasn't going to get all the snaps anyway.  If Stevenson can stay fresher, he's more dangerous.  That said, the Patriots were not one running back away from being a good team.  They don't have the horses to stay with Buffalo in the AFC East race and will likely lose two games to Buffalo in the regular season.

This is a good move by the Patriots*, IMO. It certainly takes some pressure off Mac&Cheez, their dirty, pedestrian QB. And let's face it: The Pats* have been centered around the run game as much as any other team in the league, for the last few seasons. Belachick* is going to be praying for high winds every game of the regular season.

But, I do wonder about a few things:

• Elliot had a great relationship with Dak Prescott in Dallas, and I believe that was part of his success. By all accounts, Prescott is a good dude. Solid. Mac&Cheez is... not. I wonder what kind of relationship Elliot forms with him, and how that might affect his success?
  • In fact, I wonder how Elliot fits into the "Patriot* Way" at all-- a much more strict, tight environment? He's always seemed like a player who required inspiration, and the right headspace. Does NE* provide that?
  • Elliot has been the feature back for his entire career. The Pats* generally run with a committee approach. Does Elliot become their feature back? How does he split with Rhamondre Stevenson?
  • Elliot had a down year last season. Big time. Is he still in shape? 

Gives them some depth at RB. It also confirms what we already know; they want to run, and run, and run some more. The last thing NE wants is to depend on Matt Jones to win games. Signing Zeke helps them, but not enough to get out of the cellar in this AFC East.

More I ponder this I like this move more than Cook to the Jets.

Still think Patriots are going to be a grimy team this year behind Hoodie's trademark stout defense and ST play. If Mac Jones can rebound they will definitely be in the division/WC picture until the end of year.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

Still think Patriots are going to be a grimy team this year behind Hoodie's trademark stout defense and ST play. If Mac Jones can rebound they will definitely be in the division/WC picture until the end of year.

yeeeesssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    have you met @Einsteinyet?  you two are going to be great friends.  jesus... @Billsfan1972can't get back soon enough.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Oh FFS I can't believe they let you back.  I usually take most of the off season away from this board.  Might take the entire season off now.

I feel the need to post my take. In 2019 he was out of shape and ineffective. Then Covid hit. He got Covid. It attacked his lungs  Being overweight and older,he really was never the same. I don't feel he will even gain 500 yards because he won't get many carries. He'll only be used to give others a break.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

I feel the need to post my take. In 2019 he was out of shape and ineffective. Then Covid hit. He got Covid. It attacked his lungs  Being overweight and older,he really was never the same. I don't feel he will even gain 500 yards because he won't get many carries. He'll only be used to give others a break.

Thanks! But I am really scared if you think someone in his 20’s is “older” lol.

5 hours ago, syhuang said:

Those players are all good, and well one unproven. The fact is you could have Allen at QB with Jefferson and Diggs at WR and King Henry in his prime and it mean NOTHING if the Oline stinks!

Elliott is veteran depth, that's his value and his role, so no reason to overthink it.  If they had signed Cook, that would be different.

As far as Mac-n-cheese is concerned, I think we'll see an improved version of 2021 and you can throw out 2022 due to a converted DC designing a Barney level offense in crayon, calling the plays and not having a clue.  Not having a legit WR1 and a shaky O-line makes me believe Jones will have plenty of struggles though.  The Division looks like they best in the league, until you see that all 4 O-lines are average at best.  Of the 4 QBs left to run for their lives, I'll take Allen all day.  

All RBs in the division will struggle, especially Zeke if he's lost a step or two.  I'm guessing he posts his lowest YPC average of his career without the famous Dallas O-line.

Belichick will probably give him 60% of the carries even though he has a much better back on the roster. Actually I hope he does that.

He's a good pass protecter (when not lined up at center) and can probably still get it done in short yardage or have one pop-off game. I actually wouldn't have hated having him here in the Murray/Harris role mainly for his pass protection ability. But he doesn't make a non contending team like the Patriots any closer to winning. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.