Former 1st round #12 pick Henry Ruggs: 3 to 10 yrs prison for drunk driving fatal crash

Beck Water

11 hours ago, chongli said:

Damn...OJ gets 33 years from Nevada for kidnapping and armed robbery, but Ruggs gets just 3-10 from the same state?

OJ had no reason to plead guilty. He was over prosecuted because of the murder he got away with in California. The sentence he got in Nevada was tantamount to vigilante justice. While he was 100% guilty of murder and should still be in prison, like it or not he was acquitted. You can't bury a guy under the prison for jaywalking to make up for it. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

These are Texas laws if one gets caught selling heroine, cocaine, or another “group 1” drug:

To put 200 grams into perspective, it basically measures out to a cup and a half. Ruggs killed a woman, she and her dog burned alive, but he’ll do far less time than someone caught trying to sell a cup and a half worth of cocaine. Something seems very wrong with that picture.

Some of that heroin kills people, especially when it comes laced with fentenyl. It has killed and continues to kill thousands of Americans. The "cup and a half" of which you speak sometimes kills a lot more people than one lady (RIP) and her dog. There are posters on this board that have lost children to drugs.

I am NOT defending Ruggs!!! What he did was absolutely awful and he needs to pay. The point I am trying to make is that selling heroin is as bad or worse than what Ruggs did. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Disagree. It could be and I've seen it successfully argued in a court of law that getting behind the wheel while intoxicated IS intent to harm. As would be driving 156MPH on a public road. 

Well in the matter of intentionality there remains a difference between criminal negligence causing death and capital murder. 

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't want to destroy two young lives but three years is too lenient.  Should've at least been 15 minimum imo.

and I will not be surprised when Ruggs has a party with plenty of alcohol being drunk when he gets out of prison.  

19 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Some of that heroin kills people, especially when it comes laced with fentenyl. It has killed and continues to kill thousands of Americans. The "cup and a half" of which you speak sometimes kills a lot more people than one lady (RIP) and her dog. There are posters on this board that have lost children to drugs.

I am NOT defending Ruggs!!! What he did was absolutely awful and he needs to pay. The point I am trying to make is that selling heroin is as bad or worse than what Ruggs did. 

I’ve heard plenty about the fentanyl deaths. Drug addiction is a dark, dark path, no question. But you’ll never get me to agree with your last point, that selling 200 grams of heroine or cocaine should equate to a larger sentence because it is as bad or worse than what Ruggs did. That woman was minding her own business and was a victim of reckless, drunken driving. I can’t say the same for drug users. The seller is an enabler and should do time, but in measuring the two offenses I see an imbalance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

And yet here in FLORIDA it is LEGAL to drive while holding your phone and talking or playing with it.

Studies have shown this is MORE DANGEROUS than driving drunk; it's more distracting.

Way to go Florida and every other state that allows this crap.

This country is so f-ing stupid.

Eh im for the non penalized phone stuff, the cops do it too, the only thing it does is get the state money. 

Everyine still does it. Even the cops.

More laws more fines doesnt make things better all the time.

You cannot legislate a perfect society.

Thay being said the penalty here is way to lenient imo

Edited by Sharky7337

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Apparently there was a problem with the blood alcohol evidence in Ruggs case, and the DA was afraid the defense would win a motion to suppress the evidence.

I'm all for "probable cause" but this sounds sketchy AF

So they didn't perform a field sobriety test because Ruggs needed to be transported to a hospital for treatment and LEO rightly didn't want to interfere with that, but then the judge wasn't informed that Ruggs had bloodshot eyes, smelled of alcohol, or had been drinking prior to the crash - so the lack of interfering with hospital transport by insisting on a field sobriety test would then be used against the DA to suppress legitimate properly collected and handled blood evidence.

Makes me queasy to consider. 

I think a guy driving into a young woman's car at 156 mph so that she burns to death should be considered probable cause to test for alcohol and drugs.

possibly a controversial take but in this specific case I don’t really care his BAC. He was doing 156 on surface streets. He should get 3-10 it he doesn’t even hit someone at all, yet alone actually causing a death. 

he’s so far outside the realm of reasonable that on some primal level I’d want to be harder on him for being sober and doing it than being hammered. 

long story short - frustrating to see the issues with the collection but practically just as frustrating that it even makes a difference.

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Just crazy. The amount of people doing more time for so much less. And this dude will be back in the league before he’s 30 after killing someone. Not sure of the good behavior rules at this level of crime etc etc but when I was younger you only had to do 2/3 of your time with good behavior. Money might not buy happiness as they say, but it sure can keep you out of trouble. 

I don't think it is guaranteed he will be back in nfl.  No doubt there will be teams that give him a tryout but I don't see him as such a great talent that he will be given a contract as I think the outrage would be far greater than what any team could hope he contributes.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

At least Rugg’s had the decency to plead guilty unlike OJ. 

I'm not sure it's as much decency as it is the glaring evidence. If there was any way he could have plead innocent to any of the charges, my guess is he'd have done it. 

13 hours ago, HansLanda said:

It's crazy this stuff still happens. There are so many options to not be behind the wheel - no matter your social status. 

Have these idiots not heard about this new technology?   It’s Iber, tuber, oh UBER YOU MORONS!  I’m sorry but I have little compassion for these guys.  Whether is Britt Reid, Riggs or anyone else.

Hell I have wings sports bar approximately 1 mile from my home and on some gamedays of I’ve had three or more beers I Uber home.  It’s cost

like $6, but I didn’t hurt myself

or anyone else.  If I haven’t had enough I have the Uber driver pit stop at the 7/11.  It doesn’t happen often, but I work in sales.  I lose my career if I ever received a dui.  No one would ever pick me up. Even if we’re just three glasses of wine at dinner.  Two is my max when on a date with a woman.  It’s just not worth the third drink.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’ve heard plenty about the fentanyl deaths. Drug addiction is a dark, dark path, no question. But you’ll never get me to agree with your last point, that selling 200 grams of heroine or cocaine should equate to a larger sentence because it is as bad or worse than what Ruggs did. That woman was minding her own business and was a victim of reckless, drunken driving. I can’t say the same for drug users. The seller is an enabler and should do time, but in measuring the two offenses I see an imbalance.

I don't quite agree with you but I certainly see your point and respect your opinion.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 - it definitely is t enough time and drunk driving isn’t taken serious enough in this country. there was some lawyer in Buffalo who killed a girl and got like 6 months. It happens all the time sadly.

2 - as awful as all of his decisions were, he didn’t sent out to Jill someone. Made a million poor choices but the guy doesn’t deserve life.

3 - hundreds if not thousands of people will do the same thing (maybe not the speed) leaving football games this fall. 

49 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Have these idiots not heard about this new technology?   It’s Iber, tuber, oh UBER YOU MORONS!  I’m sorry but I have little compassion for these guys.  Whether is Britt Reid, Riggs or anyone else.

Hell I have wings sports bar approximately 1 mile from my home and on some gamedays of I’ve had three or more beers I Uber home.  It’s cost

like $6, but I didn’t hurt myself

or anyone else.  If I haven’t had enough I have the Uber driver pit stop at the 7/11.  It doesn’t happen often, but I work in sales.  I lose my career if I ever received a dui.  No one would ever pick me up. Even if we’re just three glasses of wine at dinner.  Two is my max when on a date with a woman.  It’s just not worth the third drink.

I salute you and wish you were the majority of people. But sadly, you are in the minority.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, AuntieEm said:

I don't think it is guaranteed he will be back in nfl.  No doubt there will be teams that give him a tryout but I don't see him as such a great talent that he will be given a contract as I think the outrage would be far greater than what any team could hope he contributes.

I would almost be willing to guarantee it not that it means that much from me lol 

If he’s in shape (he should be) someone will roll the dice. That 4.2 will blind a lot of eyes 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Should have been life 

I mean I understand it was a terrible situation but Ruggs didn't have any intent on doing that, he just got wasted and drove , I think these types of situations the person should get a 2nd chance. He's guilty of being a moron, especially with his $ and easy ability to call an uber

55 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1 - it definitely is t enough time and drunk driving isn’t taken serious enough in this country. there was some lawyer in Buffalo who killed a girl and got like 6 months. It happens all the time sadly.

2 - as awful as all of his decisions were, he didn’t sent out to Jill someone. Made a million poor choices but the guy doesn’t deserve life.

3 - hundreds if not thousands of people will do the same thing (maybe not the speed) leaving football games this fall. 

I salute you and wish you were the majority of people. But sadly, you are in the minority.

Buscuit,  I have no problems tearing it up with friends a couple times a year, but even though my kids are 24, 22, 19.  I never drink in front of them as it’s an old habit.

I’ll be up in Buffalo to see my cousins and old lifelong friends in Buffalo in October and I’m sure my liver will need a break after that weekend, but I’ll just Uber.  Just like I won’t drink and drive, I won’t let my friends either.

The things these buttheads don’t get is no one is saying you can’t tie one on every once in awhile, just don’t get behind the wheel.  Pretty simple right.

I want always this way, but having kids and a career will do that to you.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I mean I understand it was a terrible situation but Ruggs didn't have any intent on doing that, he just got wasted and drove , I think these types of situations the person should get a 2nd chance. He's guilty of being a moron, especially with his $ and easy ability to call an uber

Killing someone at 2x legal limit 3x speed limit w felony firearm possession is enough for me 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

possibly a controversial take but in this specific case I don’t really care his BAC. He was doing 156 on surface streets. He should get 3-10 it he doesn’t even hit someone at all, yet alone actually causing a death. 

he’s so far outside the realm of reasonable that on some primal level I’d want to be harder on him for being sober and doing it than being hammered. 

long story short - frustrating to see the issues with the collection but practically just as frustrating that it even makes a difference.

It's not even the collection.  The claim is that the judge did not have "probable cause" to issue the warrant for a blood draw of a man who just crashed into a vehicle doing 156 mph and was taken to hospital instead of having that delayed for a field sobriety test; the judge was not told he smelled of alcohol, had bloodshot eyes, and had admitted to drinking. 

This really puked me out.  It's not right to delay hospital transport of a patient who might require prompt treatment in order to administer a field sobriety test, but it's also not right to be able to turn the fact that there wasn't a field sobriety test prior to hospital transport into a roadblock or "get out of drunk driving charges free" card if transport is not delayed for the field test.

I ain't a lawyer, but it seems to me the

Your take is not controversial to me, but the charges revolved around BAC thus the prosecutor cares.

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm totally down with that, as long as you can arrange for the girl and her dog to get a 2nd chance, unburnt.

Oh, you can't?  Well then.

He's not just guilty of being a moron.  He's guilty of causing someone's death through voluntary choices he made.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

...he just got wasted and drove , I think these types of situations the person should get a 2nd chance. He's guilty of being a moron, especially with his $ and easy ability to call an uber

FFS.  Just F Christ's FS.  A woman (and her dog) are dead.  And you think he 'just' got wasted and deserves a second chance. 🤨

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

These are Texas laws if one gets caught selling heroine, cocaine, or another “group 1” drug:

To put 200 grams into perspective, it basically measures out to a cup and a half. Ruggs killed a woman, she and her dog burned alive, but he’ll do far less time than someone caught trying to sell a cup and a half worth of cocaine. Something seems very wrong with that picture.

To put the sentences into perspective, burning a woman to death from drunk driving only carries a 50% higher minimum sentence than selling ONE GRAM of cocaine. 

34 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

FFS.  Just F Christ's FS.  A woman (and her dog) are dead.  And you think he 'just' got wasted and deserves a second chance. 🤨

That woman and her dog deserve a second chance, but they're not going to get it.  So neither should he.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I agree it's freaking horrific.  If that was my family I'd be devastated and I'd want justice but I believe he had zero intent on hurting/killing anyone and imo makes a big difference,  he needs to pay with his time but I definitely believe he deserves a 2nd chance 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

It's not even the collection.  The claim is that the judge did not have "probable cause" to issue the warrant for a blood draw of a man who just crashed into a vehicle doing 156 mph and was taken to hospital instead of having that delayed for a field sobriety test; the judge was not told he smelled of alcohol, had bloodshot eyes, and had admitted to drinking. 

This really puked me out.  It's not right to delay hospital transport of a patient who might require prompt treatment in order to administer a field sobriety test, but it's also not right to be able to turn the fact that there wasn't a field sobriety test prior to hospital transport into a roadblock or "get out of drunk driving charges free" card if transport is not delayed for the field test.

I ain't a lawyer, but it seems to me the

Your take is not controversial to me, but the charges revolved around BAC thus the prosecutor cares.

I'm totally down with that, as long as you can arrange for the girl and her dog to get a 2nd chance, unburnt.

Oh, you can't?  Well then.

He's not just guilty of being a moron.  He's guilty of causing someone's death through voluntary choices he made.

If Ruggs doesn’t deserve a second choice, are you supporting the death penalty in this instance?

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Probably on the bit too lenient side but I understand. Ruggs has shown contrition. Now he will face punishment, and get a second chance to prove it. 

You realize an eye for an eye in this case would entail strapping him in his car and burning him alive yes

First and foremost … second, after first … and in conclusion:    An innocent woman died a terrible and premature death and left a family that will grieve until they’re no longer with us.   Repeat that, for those who’d misconstrue what follows.

I am amazed at the posts that show no consideration, or understanding, or empathy for the young man who was driving.   It was his fault, period.

If my life came down to the mistakes and errors in judgment I made, especially when i was a twenty something, I’d be in a pickle deeper than I can imagine.

Bugger off, you hard justice warriors … and show me your life’s judgment resumes.    If you’ve made no egregious errors, whether you got away with them or not, you’re a cat I’ve not met.

There are victims, here.   Some are the victims of others, and some are the victims of chance and fate.   My heart goes out to both parties.

• Like (+1) 1

Regardless of this tragedy.... I've read through all the replies on this thread

And Henry rugs life is just as impacted as the woman that he killed accidentally

He is a kid.. and he will never be the same

I'm not going to kick him when he's down

Let ye who has not sinned cast the first stone

RIP to the lady

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I agree it's freaking horrific.  If that was my family I'd be devastated and I'd want justice but I believe he had zero intent on hurting/killing anyone and imo makes a big difference,  he needs to pay with his time but I definitely believe he deserves a 2nd chance 

he intended to drive drunk, with all that implies.  justice has been delivered.

he'll get another chance...in 3-10.  what's your point otherwise?

15 minutes ago, Neo said:

First and foremost … second, after first … and in conclusion:    An innocent woman died a terrible and premature death and left a family that will grieve until they’re no longer with us.   Repeat that, for those who’d misconstrue what follows.

I am amazed at the posts that show no consideration, or understanding, or empathy for the young man who was driving.   It was his fault, period.

If my life came down to the mistakes and errors in judgment I made, especially when i was a twenty something, I’d be in a pickle deeper than I can imagine.

Bugger off, you hard justice warriors … and show me your life’s judgment resumes.    If you’ve made no egregious errors, whether you got away with them or not, you’re a cat I’ve not met.

There are victims, here.   Some are the victims of others, and some are the victims of chance and fate.   My heart goes out to both parties.

Have you ever killed someone while making a mistake/error?  Or at least seriously injured someone? 

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Gonna go ahead and disagree here😂😂

In a practical sense, yea... But if you listen to my whole post

I quoted Jesus Christ who is my Lord and Savior

I believe that woman is in a better place as we all will be when we pass away

Her life was cut short.. but I believe she's with the Lord..

Henry will be living hell on Earth for the rest of his life because he knows that he inadvertently took a woman's life... That's torture

And it's not funny to have your laughing faces at the end of your post because this is a sad story for both families 

Edited by Buffalo716

I have evening drinks, nothing too crazy, but enough to get in trouble with the law. Sometimes the kids would ask me to drive out and get take-out food. They get a big fat NO from me.

On some occasions I've spoiled them with UberEats. I figure the extra $15 is better than a horrific accident, lawyer fees, and jail time.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

he intended to drive drunk, with all that implies.  justice has been delivered.

he'll get another chance...in 3-10.  what's your point otherwise?

My original point was responding to someone saying he deserves a life sentence,  and I disagreed because he intended to drive drunk but didn't intend to hurt or kill anyone.  Feel his sentence is fair, he made a dumb decision but there wasn't any violence on his mind

• Like (+1) 1

does anyone here ever watch Court TV?

There is a case currently where a 18 year old girl got totally wasted and killed a woman on her wedding day. Ran her and her new groom  over in their golf cart after the ceremony.

Yes people make mistakes that kill others and even sometimes themselves.  It's the sheer stupidity and audacity to get behind the wheel of a car and drive like a crazed lunatic as was both of these cases. both fueled by alcohol.  This fatal "Mistake" keeps happening and it pisses me off. My own frustration and indignation comes out more for the victims being the innocents. I have compassion for the Ruggs family too though. It sucks all around.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

In a practical sense, yea... But if you listen to my whole post

I quoted Jesus Christ who is my Lord and Savior

I believe that woman is in a better place as we all will be when we pass away

Her life was cut short.. but I believe she's with the Lord..

Henry will be living hell on Earth for the rest of his life because he knows that he inadvertently took a woman's life... That's torture

And it's not funny to have your laughing faces at the end of your post because this is a sad story for both families 

I'm not laughing at what happened, I'm laughing at the people who think getting loaded and doing 150+ in a residential area isn't inherently malicious

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.