Aaron Schatz picks the Bills and 49ers in the Super Bowl

Utah John

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

(Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders)

Some of us keep our receipts.  This is what Schatz had to say about Allen after the draft:

"A parody of an NFL quarterback prospect, Allen was abysmal in 2017 en route to not even making an all-Mountain West team. We don't want to say there's absolutely no chance he'll ever be good – he's got a deep ball, he's got some ability to make plays on the run and under pressure – but there is zero empirical evidence to support him becoming a reasonable NFL starting quarterback. And if you thought the excuses for his supporting cast were bad in Wyoming, wait till you see this Bills offense. ... Allen is the battleground that old scouts are going to die on, whether they're right about it or, as all evidence suggests, wrong about it."

Plus of course the comment "I would rather have Tyrod Taylor quarterbacking my team over the next four years than Josh Allen."

I gained some respect for Sal Capaccio after one twitter exchange where Schatz tried to white-wash his post-draft take as saying "I said he had a chance to be good" and Sal said "you called him a parody of an NFL quarterback prospect and said there was zero evidence to support him becoming a reasonable starting quarterback"

As for the old scouts, I would say they're not dead yet, so don't sleep on them.

I don't think any of Schatz pre-draft takes are really wrong. Allen is just THAT unique and special as a QB. I really can't think of a comparable QB. Maybe 30 years ago with Favre out of Southern Mississippi? But Favre was 2nd round pick compared to Allen being top 10. 

The most recent comps before Allen were guys like Paxton Lynch and Jake Locker. Now we will see how guys like Richardson and Will Levis translate to the next level. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Aaron is a surprisingly accurate guy when it comes to such things. Considering all the bashing the National Media has done to the Bills about their window closed it’s nice to get at least a little good news. 

Ahhh, this is opinion, not news.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I don't think any of Schatz pre-draft takes are really wrong. Allen is just THAT unique and special as a QB. I really can't think of a comparable QB. Maybe 30 years ago with Favre out of Southern Mississippi? But Favre was 2nd round pick compared to Allen being top 10. 

The most recent comps before Allen were guys like Paxton Lynch and Jake Locker. Now we will see how guys like Richardson and Will Levis translate to the next level. 

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but when you call a guy "a parody of an NFL quarterback prospect" and use the words "zero" and "all", any evidence at all that the guy isn't a "parody" and any single piece of evidence supporting that he has a chance, make you wrong.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but when you call a guy "a parody of an NFL quarterback prospect" and use the words "zero" and "all", any evidence at all that the guy isn't a "parody" and any single piece of evidence supporting that he has a chance, make you wrong.

always take the words zero and all with a grain of salt. There are always exceptions to every rule. We know that.

Schatz uses those words to drive home, his larger point or big picture view on Allen before the draft. And it’s that larger point and the big picture view that I agree with.

Bills vs Browns in the afc title fame, Vikings vs Lions in the nfc title game, the earth explodes the next day. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yup. Guess what? The next next sub 60% passer who didn’t 1st or 2nd team Mountain West conference will be doubted just as much as Allen. 

the bills did a great job at developing a truly special unicorn. Both the team and Allen deserve all the credit but Allen is the exception rather than the norm.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

I really want people to stop picking the Bills entirely. They tend to not live up to others expectations of them, so I’d rather them stay a bit under the radar since being pressured makes them fold under it. 

That is ridiculous. Next you will tell us how you don't step on sidewalk cracks and avoid black cats.

On 8/7/2023 at 7:27 PM, Utah John said:

As the great swami once said…

WHOOP, THE BILLS COULD GO ALLLLL THE WAYYY!

PRIMETIME!

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

My two favorite teams... born in San Fran, raised in Buffalo.

Also wasn't 49ers the team Josh rooted for being it was just down the road from his hometown?  So likely he dreamed to qb the 49ers so he gets to play and beat the team he followed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.