Training Camp 8/1 9:45

Beck Water

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Latavius Murray is training camp sacrificial lamb. Brought in to be the punching bag by everyone else that will make the roster.

of course, with the Hines injury, he could have an opening to make the roster may be.

By other reports, Murray laid the lumber on his next carry.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And draft coverage showed they were high on him all offseason and he had won them over big time with his dedication to being better and his notebook he had on all his mistakes and areas to improve.  

This notion we "panicked" to take him is not rooted in the reality of what went down.  Like Kincaid, he was the last player with a first round grade on their board, which is pretty typical when you draft late that there are few to no players left with a first round grade.  

@GunnerBill has a metric that indicated McD doesn't take CBs with arms as short as McDuffie's. That fella's take is a lot of surmise without substance.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

Good. Tired of candy ass sissies. Lawson brings energy. We need some of that intensity and energy on offense.

We haven't had that since feliciano 

Feliciano was a fake tough guy and a mediocre player

Edited by MWK
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’m a realist fan. I didn’t think we were going to the Super Bowl last year. However, this year feels different. I think von Miller is right. This team is better than last and I think we go to the Super Bowl. I think we hover around 10 to 11 wins and then hit our peak in the playoffs 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I have zero doubt in my mind if this defense actually plays together fully healthy it could be the best defense we’ve had under McD.  

We could possibly have 3 CB1s (I’m still confident in Elam and what they’re saying about Benford confirms why this is such a battle for the job).  

Stacked at DT with a great rotation set up.  

DE minus Von - all depends on Groot - why he’s getting reps at DT is very intriguing.  I’ve read multiple times he’s lined up there but nothing more.  Groot and Oliver up the middle with Von and AJ (maybe this is the year) coming off the edge on pass downs could be horrifying for offenses.  

Only question of course is MLB.  

Lucky if this defense cracks the top ten. Your post is overly optimistic. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Everyone is worried about Spencer brown including me. I feel like the only one who thinks Dawkins is a problem too. 

Dawkins will be fine. I think I he's overrated in most Bills fans eyes. He's not a liability but he's not elite either. Pretty dependable and the least of the Bills oline worries. 

• Disagree 1

49 minutes ago, boyst said:

Good. Tired of candy ass sissies. Lawson brings energy. We need some of that intensity and energy on offense.

We haven't had that since feliciano 

I always thought Feliciano was kind of a bully.  The guy who compensates for his lack of skill during the play, by acting tough afterwards. 

You see it differently?

32 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Everyone is worried about Spencer brown including me. I feel like the only one who thinks Dawkins is a problem too. 

If you search "Dawkins" I think you'll find your feelings are mistaken

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Seriously??  

You think the D is worse?  Or bc the schedule? 

I think there are some serious questions that need to be answered. Lots of unknowns and guts have to stay healthy and step up. 

The pass rush is anyone's guess. The key is Von because he makes everyone better. The other pass rushers aren't elite or game changers. Many are rototatiobal, unreliable, and inconsistent. In short, the pass rush is unproven. 

The Dline is another concern. Can guys stay healthy? will the new additions improve the line? Last year, they were inconsistent in stopping the run especially with Edmunds injured. 

Secondary with Poyer and Hyde healthy sound be good. Add in a healthy Tre and it looks very strong. Young core of guys that can absolutely contribute. Appears to be the strength of the defense. 

McD taking over should be a positive. I think he will be selectively more aggressive and unpredictable. 

On paper, the defense doesn't look bad nor does it look elite. Personally, I just don't see a top 5 dominant defense here. I'd land this defense in the top 10-15 area. That might be good enough if this offense can excell. 

I fully expect the Bills offense to be in the top 5. I believe it's the offense and Allen that will excell and hopefully get the Lombardi In Buffalo

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

We were a top 6 defense last year and that was without our starting secondary playing a single game together. 

2nd in points per game

5th in rushing yards per game

6th in total yards per game

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think there are some serious questions that need to be answered. Lots of unknowns and guts have to stay healthy and step up. 

The pass rush is anyone's guess. The key is Von because he makes everyone better. The other pass rushers aren't elite or game changers. Many are rototatiobal, unreliable, and inconsistent. In short, the pass rush is unproven. 

The Dline is another concern. Can guys stay healthy? will the new additions improve the line? Last year, they were inconsistent in stopping the run especially with Edmunds injured. 

Secondary with Poyer and Hyde healthy sound be good. Add in a healthy Tre and it looks very strong. Young core of guys that can absolutely contribute. Appears to be the strength of the defense. 

McD taking over should be a positive. I think he will be selectively more aggressive and unpredictable. 

On paper, the defense doesn't look bad nor does it look elite. Personally, I just don't see a top 5 dominant defense here. I'd land this defense in the top 10-15 area. That might be good enough if this offense can excell. 

I fully expect the Bills offense to be in the top 5. I believe it's the offense and Allen that will excell and hopefully get the Lombardi In Buffalo

We were one of the best defenses last year and had something close to 40 games missed by Miller, White, Oliver, Hyde and Poyer.  That’s 4 All Pros for a significant amount of time.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

With all the Shakir discussion today, this was a timely interview. 

Good listen if you have time.

*Teaser: Brownie also discusses the "alleged drop" on the post route, that triggered some fans.  

Was the "next step" getting into coaching?   

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

Leonard Floyd is good. Versus Spencer Brown he is elite. Spencer Brown is playing awfully bad right now and it is not surprising. He was arguably the worse starter on both sides of the ball last year. 

Leonard Floyd will be just as good week 1 against the Jets. Their tackles aren’t any better than Spencer Brown/Dion Dawkins 

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm about done with Shakir at this point. You can't have below average physical gifts and below average hands and still be successful in this league. Allen has had too many incredible plays dropped by his pass catchers since he was a rookie. I'm so over it.

She is just not good enough for him !

43 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We were one of the best defenses last year and had something close to 40 games missed by Miller, White, Oliver, Hyde and Poyer.  That’s 4 All Pros for a significant amount of time.

Stop with the facts. Opinions only!! 

• Thank you (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

With all the Shakir discussion today, this was a timely interview. 

Good listen if you have time.

*Teaser: Brownie also discusses the "alleged drop" on the post route, that triggered some fans.  

Good speed...great separation rate....but ability to reduce drops or master jump balls not there yet.

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Connor McGovern is not a DEpth player

Meet Ed Oliver Day ?
Maybe Ed is a bit better then some here think.

With the current his current surrounding cast of characters , i think Ed might be doing the some to plenty of guards this season

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't listen to the interview, but from the clips here, that's exactly what it sounds like.  And exactly what a lot of fans have been saying for a year.  Elam is a natural cover corner, and Benford really gets the coverage schemes that McD's pass defense thrives on.  I've always thought that's why McDermott didn't keep Gilmore.  

And as lots of people have been saying, it's up to Elam.  If he internalizes the schemes, he'll be the starter, because Benford simply can't "learn" some of the physical skills that come naturally to Elam. 

Also, I don't see how a platoon system works with corner back.  When you platoon running backs, you're always sending some signals about what you might do, because the running backs have different skills.   That's okay, however, because offense is all about putting a combination of threats on the field.   DBs seem different to me - putting a different DBs in the game signal your weaknesses, not your strengths.  Benford's in, if the offense puts a #1 receiver out there, the offense knows the defense is in zone or double coverage, because the Bills won't leave him out there alone.   Elam's in, and the offense knows he's the soft spot in the zone.   Jackson gives you the best disguise.  

What the Bills really need, really need, is for Elam to step up.   If he can win the job (if he can get good enough playing the schemes), then the Bills have the best option out there, and Benford gets freed up for a possible move to safety, maybe as early as next year. 

This is also why it's puzzling to draft a cover corner to play zone when that cover corner has little to no history of playing zone, and when it certainly isn't his strength.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, major said:

I’m a realist fan. I didn’t think we were going to the Super Bowl last year. However, this year feels different. I think von Miller is right. This team is better than last and I think we go to the Super Bowl. I think we hover around 10 to 11 wins and then hit our peak in the playoffs 

It doesn't hurt to not have that favored expectation shadowing us.  

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Your post is overly pessimistic.  Per usual.  We’ve had a top 2 scoring defense 3 of the last 4 years.  

We have the toughest schedule in the league and face the best QBs we’ve faced in a season…. So I get where you come from- but count on us having one of the best defenses in the league if healthy. We’ve proven to be a top D year in year out.   People should be optimistic based on our defensive track record. 

You hate the HC/DC - so you’re obviously biased

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

We were a top 6 defense last year and that was without our starting secondary playing a single game together. 

2nd in points per game

5th in rushing yards per game

6th in total yards per game

The defense wasn't that good last year. I don't care what the stats said. Also, the previous two years the Bills were the top rated defense. Only to get their doors blown off come playoff time.

Don't get caught up in the stats. If so, it's fair to say the Bills loss in the playoffs under McD with a sub 500 record and disappointing early exits. Isn't that the only stat that realty counts? 

Let's call it as it is even if it's unpopular and unpleasant. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.