Training Camp opens today! 2023 Season is upon us!

Chandler#81

36 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Yeah you def need to have a good d to win when it matters. The issue with us before this past offseason is the bills tried to “get by” on offense while loading up on d with premium assets. Meanwhile, the same defense was the reason we lost the 13 second debacle. I just feel like a great offense is always going to find a way. 

I agree with all but the bolded.  There can be several great offenses in any given season.  Only one champion.  

The bengals great offense scored 20 points to end their season two years in a row.  

Game plans (good or bad) - Injuries - refs. 
Lots needs to happen to hoist the Lombardi.  Not just great offenses

• Like (+1) 2

Beane interview on obl

Some nice nuggets - talks up Boogie and Groot being hampered by injury. Spencer and many others 

Williams will start behind Milano. 

Something that caught my ear though, I could be reaching but my 1st thought was Beane was talking about Edmunds around the 12:43 mark when MLB is discussed..

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It did on my iphone

It was a joke on top of the joke.  It's broken everywhere.  Most of the gifs I use I just google and then open them up in a new tab and then copy the image link and paste....................

Basically, I don't use the gif button, but still post gifs without it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

It was a joke on top of the joke.  It's broken everywhere.  Most of the gifs I use I just google and then open them up in a new tab and then copy the image link and paste....................

Basically, I don't use the gif button, but still post gifs without it.

😔 will have to do

6 minutes ago, Process said:

Jfc. Just throwing 2nd and 3rd round picks in the trash can the last several years. 

Glad we spent a third round pick on a special teams player when we already have 35 special teams LBs on the roster. 

Mid season form already Process.

31 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Beane interview on obl

Some nice nuggets - talks up Boogie and Groot being hampered by injury. Spencer and many others 

Williams will start behind Milano. 

Something that caught my ear though, I could be reaching but my 1st thought was Beane was talking about Edmunds around the 12:43 mark when MLB is discussed..

Yeah, you're reaching.

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Elam doesn't look to be a good fit in Buffalo. Certainly, he's been a disappointment as a first round pick. 

It could be that Benson is just better, not that Elam is bad or even a disappointment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, finn said:

It could be that Benson is just better, not that Elam is bad or even a disappointment. 

This is a real possibility. Not many want to consider this due to the investment in Elam, but this wouldn’t be the first time something like this has happened. 

19 minutes ago, finn said:

Maybe he just practices better because it wasn’t really shown on the field last year. Elam seemed to play better when given the opportunity. Definitely made more plays for us.

11 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Maybe he just practices better because it wasn’t really shown on the field last year. Elam seemed to play better when given the opportunity. Definitely made more plays for us.

Benford was hurt early. Elam had the benefit of development as the season wore on. There is no comparison since Benford didn’t get that opportunity. 

5 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Personally I'm finding the Taylor Rapp with the 1s to be interesting. 

I like the idea of Rapp playing big Nickel against 2 wr sets. Hated seeing how many FB's and TE's targeted Taron Johnson last season while he essentially played SAM in heavy sets. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Early starter MLB prediction:

Dobson in on more run plays.

Bernard in on more blitz packages.

And Rapp comes in on obvious passing downs as the hybrid safety. (Taking off Dobson or Bernard)

D williams backs up Milano this year and plays special teams mostly 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Early starter MLB prediction:

Dobson in on more run plays.

Bernard in on more blitz packages.

And Rapp comes in on obvious passing downs as the hybrid safety. (Taking off Dobson or Bernard)

D williams backs up Milano this year and plays special teams mostly 

Great, by week 3 everybody will know our gameplan

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Prepare to be disappointed.

We have McGovern, Bates, Edwards & Boettger. They are all ahead of Torrance at this time.

My assumption would be that they'll develop Torrence the same way they developed Brown-- start him on ST extra point, and field goal units, while he learns the playbook. Put him in late in garbage time, when available, and he'll hopefully start by midseason. If memory serves me correctly, that's what they did with Brown.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BananaB said:

Exactly. This is a McDermott problem. Elam was the best DB on the field in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

My assumption would be that they'll develop Torrence the same way they developed Brown-- start him on ST extra point, and field goal units, while he learns the playbook. Put him in late in garbage time, when available, and he'll hopefully start by midseason. If memory serves me correctly, that's what they did with Brown.

That is just stupid. The guy has played college football at the highest level. Virtually no learning curve at guard. Plug and play day one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Exactly. This is a McDermott problem. Elam was the best DB on the field in the playoffs. 

That is just stupid. The guy has played college football at the highest level. Virtually no learning curve at guard. Plug and play day one.

Our CBs did not have a good year last season, Elam seemed to be the only guy that made plays. He just rarely seen the field

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Oh no Josh was shaky on the first day of camp everybody panic he’s clearly regressing…do I have half this board right? 

I think maybe you should add in a snarky comment about focus and his actress girlfriend.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BananaB said:

Great, by week 3 everybody will know our gameplan

Haha I’m obviously stating a general rule of thumb.

There will be many times where Bernard is in coverage . It’s not like every time he’s in he is going to blitz, and not every time Dobson is in they will stack up against the run.

My point is I see them using a hybrid type role at the MLB position and will be game plan specific as well. Just my prediction, could be wrong 

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Haha I’m obviously stating a general rule of thumb.

There will be many times where Bernard is in coverage . It’s not like every time he’s in he is going to blitz, and not every time Dobson is in they will stack up against the run.

My point is I see them using a hybrid type role at the MLB position and will be game plan specific as well. Just my prediction, could be wrong 

But that’s how this team works sometimes.  Last year at times we seen Jackson on the field playing zone and Elam getting sent out when we were playing man. First time ever I seen a CB rotation. 
 A few years ago when Gore was playing it got to the point he never stepped on the field unless it was short yardage situation and most of the times he got the ball. 

There are times we have gotten very predictable because of our player rotation

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BananaB said:

But that’s how this team works sometimes.  Last year at times we seen Jackson on the field playing zone and Elam getting sent out when we were playing man. First time ever I seen a CB rotation. 
 A few years ago when Gore was playing it got to the point he never stepped on the field unless it was short yardage situation and most of the times he got the ball. 

There are times we have gotten very predictable because of our player rotation

Very good points

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I agree. But I don't mind Bates for now, I think a few days after the pads come on we'll see Torrence starting.  That'd be clutch , he's a physical freak. Hope his mental matches. 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Harty is going to be a beast on st and this O. Great underrated signing.  Been saying it all off season.  We added some nice chess pieces on o. They have the versatility to be super unpredictable and even better

Subscription, but good article from Joe B in The Athletic.  Some concerning inaccuracy from Allen.

As the Bills took to the practice field Wednesday, it wasn’t exactly an award-winning first day out for quarterback Josh Allen and the passing offense. When the Bills got to team drills, there were quite a few instances of Allen not being on the same page with some of his teammates, some inaccurate throws and a somewhat disjointed first day of practice. There were a handful of missed opportunities to top tight end Dawson Knox that led the way. On one, he waited too long to throw as Knox was headed toward the sideline, Allen’s throw was slightly behind Knox, allowing the defender to break up the pass. On another, Knox found himself open in the back of the end zone, but Allen airmailed the throw just out of Knox’s reach with a jumping attempt. Then when targeting receiver Gabe Davis, Allen overshot him on a deep ball by quite a bit and on a later play, wasn’t on the same page as he threw one route to Davis at the sideline while Davis ran another. There was an interception at the goal line mixed in, as well.

Joe B attributes this to "slight rust" and points out that offense is often behind defense at the start of camp.

As long as those good moments become more common in the next week or so, the Bills likely have nothing to worry about.

A couple other interesting points.  On Benford/Elam, Joe feels Elam needs to step up his game:

this year, Benford didn’t have to wait until mid-camp to get some time with the first-team defense. Although it wasn’t a ton, he mixed in with the first unit as the running mate to top cornerback Tre’Davious White. The Bills remain high on Benford, with general manager Brandon Beane praising Benford’s excellent defensive instincts and saying, “you’ve either got it or you don’t.” More days like Wednesday could open more opportunities for first-team time for Benford.

Outside of Benford, Dane Jackson took the majority of first-team defensive snaps. Jackson remains a legitimate option to win the job in 2023, just as he did to begin the 2022 year. Second-year cornerback Kaiir Elam didn’t get much time with the top unit on Wednesday and allowed some receptions in direct coverage during Day 1. The Bills are publicly staying patient with Elam, who continues to believe in his talent and added he didn’t play in this style of defense in college. But eventually, Elam will need to make a move in his second year.

Joe also liked some of what he saw from 2015 1st round pick and 2 season CFL player Shane Ray.  I'm kinda skeptical - it's a tough break that he had torn ligaments and needed surgery and maybe tried to come back too soon, and it's a tough break he ended his Argonauts season with a torn bicep, but that's A Lot to come back from at age 30.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No learning curve? Wow.

56 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Harty is going to be a beast on st and this O. Great underrated signing.  Been saying it all off season.  We added some nice chess pieces on o. They have the versatility to be super unpredictable and even better

I really don’t want Harty playing ST’s if he’s going to be an explosive part of the offense. 

Everything reported about the guy alludes to injuries being the thing that holds him back from being a big time player in the league. 

Dude is small and I’d hope we limit his hits. 

Hoping Shakir takes those duties. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I really don’t want Harty playing ST’s if he’s going to be an explosive part of the offense. 

Everything reported about the guy alludes to injuries being the thing that holds him back from being a big time player in the league. 

Priority one, two, and three.

1. Catch the ball

2. Secure the ball

3. Maintain possession of the ball

Anything in a return is a bonus.

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im just saying in a strictly returner spot. He was an all pro on st

Especially with Hines down 

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

That's not at all my memory of what happened with Spencer Brown, so I actually looked it up.

It's true that Brown saw a few snaps on ST - 25%-ish- to start the season

But the OL that started the season in 2021 wasn't getting it done.  Darryl Williams was not looking good at RT.

Cody Ford was looking worse at RG.  Feliciano wasn't looking like "all that" at LG, then was injured and "out" going into Game 4.

So the team started Boettger at LG, slid Williams inside to RG, and started Brown at RT in Game 4.

And the R side of the line looked better, so they kept it that way (Feliciano got his job back until he was injured)

Brown only played 3 games before sustaining a back injury that kept him out 2 games, played a game, missed two more, then played the rest of the season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You never want a 5'6" receiver taking a lot of hits in the NFL..........but it's not the hits that have sidelined him it's soft tissue and tendon injuries.

Sharty's been sidelined by hamstring(many times) and turf toe(most of 2022) injuries.    

If he figures out how to not hurt himself just running around then hopefully he can make an impact.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.