Do the Bills Practice as Hard as the Pats? Should They?

hondo in seattle

During the Pats' Reign of Terror there was a lot of chatter about "The Patriot Way."  Supposedly, the Patriot Way was different than "The Process" in Buffalo or any of the other systems and philosophies of team preparation practiced elsewhere in the NFL.  Then Brady left, the rings stopped coming, and nobody talked about the Patriot Way anymore.  In the minds of some fans, the Patriot Way was merely a mirage and Brady was the only actual thing that differentiated the Patriots from the rest of the NFL.

But Edelman recently said something I find interesting:

"I swear if I didn't play New England I'd still be playing because we practice so goddamn hard. That's honestly why I retired: I couldn't practice. I was getting three reps of practice and then I go get in the pool because my knee, you know, like I was fu**ed up...  You build your confidence through practice… [A team that practices hard] is a dying breed and that's why football is getting sloppy."

I think many fans overrate game-time decisions and underrate all the other stuff a coach does to build a winner.  Edelman's quote makes me think about that other stuff and wonder if McD is practicing the optimal amount.  

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/julian-edelman-reveals-how-playing-for-patriots-forced-him-into-early-retirement/ar-AA1e512N?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5d3d7a4baeb245c9bc7b95da3e34f212&ei=50

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with you. The Patriot Way included focussed attention to detail as well as fundamentals, more so than other teams.

It wasn't all Brady. I remember the Patriots' D making open field tackles when our guys would wiff on similar tackles and there D players always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.  It was the Patriots, I think, who first practiced tackling and punching the ball out.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

I agree with you. The Patriot Way included focussed attention to detail as well as fundamentals, more so than other teams.

It wasn't all Brady. I remember the Patriots' D making open field tackles when our guys would wiff on similar tackles and there D players always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.  It was the Patriots, I think, who first practiced tackling and punching the ball out.

Oh, and cheating! Don’t forget the cheating.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The Patriot Way to me was an emphasis on reducing both the mental and emotional errors when the games counted.

You rarely saw a Patriot lose their cool and get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.  You also rarely saw the mental gaffes.  That was a big part of why they were extremely tough to beat.  

The hard practices were likely as a means to reduce apprehension and hesitancy.  Getting hit with the full force of a grown man is a shocking experience to the body, and it's something that your brain and body have to be accustomed to happening.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Is this whining, or bragging? Maybe a bit of both? Edelman played for one team his entire career. What does he really know about how other teams practice? And not for nothing, all of the playoff games he played in represent a lot more practice sessions than most other teams during that time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

No that’s that’s the Greggo NO Aints in Bounty Gate.

That too. They got caught. I'm just remembering some moments like Gronk trying to break White's back and the helmet hit on Josh that knocked him out of the game rookie season. And wasn't there a game where Wilfork clearly went after Bledsoe's knee many years ago?

14 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

That too. They got caught. I'm just remembering some moments like Gronk trying to break White's back and the helmet hit on Josh that knocked him out of the game rookie season. And wasn't there a game where Wilfork clearly went after Bledsoe's knee many years ago?

If they can perfect cheating like that, maybe Tua can learn to fall down without getting hurt? 🤷‍♂️

Practice, practice, practice! 

13 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I'd like to know who taught Macnchz to alligator roll an ankle, or kick the DB in the nuts when sliding.

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

During the Pats' Reign of Terror there was a lot of chatter about "The Patriot Way."  Supposedly, the Patriot Way was different than "The Process" in Buffalo or any of the other systems and philosophies of team preparation practiced elsewhere in the NFL.  Then Brady left, the rings stopped coming, and nobody talked about the Patriot Way anymore.  In the minds of some fans, the Patriot Way was merely a mirage and Brady was the only actual thing that differentiated the Patriots from the rest of the NFL.

But Edelman recently said something I find interesting:

"I swear if I didn't play New England I'd still be playing because we practice so goddamn hard. That's honestly why I retired: I couldn't practice. I was getting three reps of practice and then I go get in the pool because my knee, you know, like I was fu**ed up...  You build your confidence through practice… [A team that practices hard] is a dying breed and that's why football is getting sloppy."

I think many fans overrate game-time decisions and underrate all the other stuff a coach does to build a winner.  Edelman's quote makes me think about that other stuff and wonder if McD is practicing the optimal amount.  

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/julian-edelman-reveals-how-playing-for-patriots-forced-him-into-early-retirement/ar-AA1e512N?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5d3d7a4baeb245c9bc7b95da3e34f212&ei=50

Just look at Belichick's record without Brady. His being the GOAT is a joke. 

I think McDermott's practice routine in not a problem. I think he needs to get better with game time decisions. 13 seconds was an absolute blunder. He does seem to learn, so I give him credit for that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

The Patriot Way to me was an emphasis on reducing both the mental and emotional errors when the games counted.

You rarely saw a Patriot lose their cool and get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.  You also rarely saw the mental gaffes.  That was a big part of why they were extremely tough to beat.  

The hard practices were likely as a means to reduce apprehension and hesitancy.  Getting hit with the full force of a grown man is a shocking experience to the body, and it's something that your brain and body have to be accustomed to happening.  

They were great at maximizing execution and eliminating unforced errors.

Just doing your job correctly, on every play, and not doing dumb crap, can add up to a lot of wins and few losses.

BB obviously understands that and preaches it; I suspect he also is the type of coach who motivates through fear...which happens to be a GREAT motivator.

4 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

Thought it was Losman, but just going off memory

3 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Just look at Belichick's record without Brady. His being the GOAT is a joke. 

I think McDermott's practice routine in not a problem. I think he needs to get better with game time decisions. 13 seconds was an absolute blunder. He does seem to learn, so I give him credit for that.

Sorry, but Vince Lombardi isn't winning any Super Bowls with that New England roster. 

People are obsessed with trying to give either Brady or BB credit for the Dynasty. BB knew how to put his teams in the best positions to win games. Sometimes in doing so he would absolutely cross the line. His strength in coaching was attention to detail and managing egos. He might have been the best ego manager in the history on the NFL. Almost a 20 year run of winning or threatening to win the SB. Unheard of before or since. 

Now that Brady is gone, he is basically maxed out at a wild card. Take away Mahomes or Allen and you aren't going to see a much different outcome. You need good players to win. Great players to win it all. A coach is not going to be able to do it alone. Not close. That doesn't discredit him as an integral part of that run. If it was almost anybody else coaching that team it would have been about a 5 year run like most dynasty's. He is the reason it was 20 years. 

I'm going to go hang with my dad now

Sincerely, 

Stevie

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dpberr said:

Well, true...until last year:

• Haha (+1) 1

All the world even the NFL has become a much more sensitive place !! And Bill comes from another time which could be why we may never see another team or coach achieve wha the has .

And Brady was more than likely the same way ! 

Champions are made from a different cloth ! M.J. - Brady - Russel - Tyson - Rose - BB -  all went to the extreme to be the absolute best at their craft which is why they will be remembered as such through out time .

Edited by T master

Others have said it but I'm confused by some of this  - so did they stop practicing that way? If not why are they likely the worst team in the division? All of this reads as if "The Patriot Way" is a thing of the past, which likely means it's not very sustainable, especially if you don't have a legendary QB allowing it.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, dpberr said:

The Patriot was way Brady taking less money and Bill Belichick being a defensive mastermind.  Plus cheating.  As far as mental gaffes,

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I mean, let's be honest.  If Belichick coached the Bills the past 2 years, 13 seconds doesn't happen and neither does the home blowout in the playoffs. They may have actually won the superbowl 2 years ago

No he’d coach like it was 1990 and try and run the ball, play defense.  He’d squander Allen’s talent.  Brady was the show for those SB wins.

I can’t stand his arrogant tone, but he really is the GOAT.  We just hate it because he schooled us for 20.

• Agree 1

On 7/20/2023 at 1:27 PM, mushypeaches said:

So are the Pats just not practicing as hard these days, or are they just missing a HOF QB?

Well, coaching matters.  But so does talent.  A good coach can make a QB somewhat better but can't transform a toad into a prince.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

17 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I mean, let's be honest.  If Belichick coached the Bills the past 2 years, 13 seconds doesn't happen and neither does the home blowout in the playoffs. They may have actually won the superbowl 2 years ago

If Bill and the Pats part ways after this year and the Bills fail in the playoffs again then watch those Bill to Buffalo rumors heat up from fans/media. Would Terry do it. Who knows but the media will speculate that it could/would happen. That will start a thread here that reaches 1,000 pages :)

Didn't Josh say something to the effect that he's just likes expensive whiskey and golf in the offseason, and that he doesn't work out that much, unless you count his new movie star squeeze?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.