Dawkins talks Bills, Diggs on Cowherd

Commish

Fun watch. Schnow is always candid.

- No detail on Diggs situation other than it’s a non-issue and media hype only.
- Talked about how flat they were top to bottom for Cinci playoff game but couldn’t explain why.  

- Spent some time on Josh Allen of course, his running and impact to o-line blocking
- Great things to say about Buffalo, the fans, and college-like gameday atmosphere.

- Talked about trench battles especially in division and gave props to Jets and Dolphins d-lines. Expressed dislike for Christian Wilkins and called him a chirper (I’m sure he wanted to say dirty but held back).

- Closed by going after McIntyre on his Jets fandom. 

Edited by Jukester
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 8

He wasn't that well spoken. Hopefully he is hitting the gym hard and not eating too much. The shirtless w sport coat deal the other day was comedy . 

We will see about Dawkins, but the game film shows a very uneven season last year. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Dislike 2

13 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

He wasn't that well spoken. Hopefully he is hitting the gym hard and not eating too much. The shirtless w sport coat deal the other day was comedy . 

We will see about Dawkins, but the game film shows a very uneven season last year. 

He has a staccato speech at times, where it feels like his brain is searching for the right words. He may not be an eloquent speaker, but he’s clear enough and is thoughtful, so that’s enough in my book.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The way he describes the playoff game is the way I saw it too. That is what it looked like on my tv set. 

Was it listless?  Or did he say over by the third possession? Because something was way off - no energy or emotion. 

Good interview. Dion is a fun guy. Good to hear him praise Buffalo's fans the way he does.

Not sure what Cowherd means when he insists that a team with a running QB who goes off script (like Josh can do) has a harder time establishing a run game with the backs — is he suggesting that the linemen are less focused on written-up plays? Not sure I agree.

9 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Good interview. Dion is a fun guy. Good to hear him praise Buffalo's fans the way he does.

Not sure what Cowherd means when he insists that a team with a running QB who goes off script (like Josh can do) has a harder time establishing a run game with the backs — is he suggesting that the linemen are less focused on written-up plays? Not sure I agree.

I think it's harder to establish a rhythm with 1-2 RB's because you're not really setting up a ton of run first plays. A lot of this type of running is predicated off PA/option plays. As for linemen, maybe its the mentality that you have to sell a ton of your blocking as pass and you have to wait for what happens in the backfield to then switch into upfield blocking and trying to set running lanes off script. It's a lot more mentally taxing to do that than to just know that on this play we're doing X.

Also teams tend to play a team with a strong running QB differently. There's ALWAYS a couple of players peeking into the backfield and keeping an eye on the QB and runners to close those gaps/limit breakaways.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Commish changed the title to Dawkins talks Bills, Diggs on Cowherd
1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

He has a staccato speech at times, where it feels like his brain is searching for the right words. He may not be an eloquent speaker, but he’s clear enough and is thoughtful, so that’s enough in my book.

I know right. God forbid he doesn't speak the Queen's English.😂

I've heard enough interviews from pro athletes over the years. Dion comes off as Anthony Robbins and Jordan Peterson compared to most.

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Because there are 12 gates in Heaven and if I'm gorging my mouth with cheeseburgers....I will feel like I'm in Heaven.

every day i find myself growing farther apart from you.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RichRiderBills said:

This guy is at least 30-40 pounds blubber beyond his true weight.  I guess they want them to do that these days, but he is just so overinflated with fat...I preferred the league when OLmen were just as athletic as everyone else on the field.

They might have only been 285, but it was a super strong, solid, lean,285 and they were still the biggest strongest guys on the field.

Very few of these guys are TRUE 340 pound monsters, though those guys do come along now and again.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This guy is at least 30-40 pounds blubber beyond his true weight.  I guess they want them to do that these days, but he is just so overinflated with fat...I preferred the league when OLmen were just as athletic as everyone else on the field.

They might have only been 285, but it was a super strong, solid, lean,285 and they were still the biggest strongest guys on the field.

Very few of these guys are TRUE 340 pound monsters, though those guys do come along now and again.

If lean 285 lb linemen were better than 320 lb guys with some blubber, the league would be filled with 285 lb linemen.  

Edited by HereComesTheReignAgain
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The way he describes the playoff game is the way I saw it too. That is what it looked like on my tv set. 

It was a bummer. I kept waiting for the spark but it never came around. The infinite Bengals third down conversions were met with a lot of *siiiigh* "They just look like they're completely outta gas today." Just the worst time to have their worst game. 

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Was it listless?  Or did he say over by the third possession? Because something was way off - no energy or emotion. 

He said it was just flat. There was something and it wasn't the true Bills. That is how it looked to me. We played our worst football game for a season and a half (since the Jags loss) but sadly played it in a home playoff game. It sucks. But players are human beings not machines. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah I agree. Actually good to hear that come from a player. Hard to pinpoint what the reason was that they came out that flat in that arena. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He said it was just flat. There was something and it wasn't the true Bills. That is how it looked to me. We played our worst football game for a season and a half (since the Jags loss) but sadly played it in a home playoff game. It sucks. But players are human beings not machines. 

I was there.  If we hit the stutter and go to Diggs on the first series it might have been a different game.   Maybe.  But we were just listless.  It was like there was no air in the place.  

Sometimes off-field stuff matters.  I think there was a lot of that last year, including the night before the game.  These guys dealt with a lot last year on and off the field, and … in hindsight I get it.  We were due to run out of gas, and I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if something beyond their control and off the field was the final straw. 

15 minutes ago, DJB said:

is Toney even able to formulate a sentence?

Seriously.  If I’m a show producer, he’d be one of my first choices as a guest.  Guaranteed 5M views on YT if the interviewer grills him

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

Yeah I agree. Actually good to hear that come from a player. Hard to pinpoint what the reason was that they came out that flat in that arena. 

I mean... they were just as bad the first few possessions in the first Bengals game up until Hamlin went down

I don't think we need to invent excuses for getting stomped by a better side

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, teef said:

does being a buddhist involve hating people?

Yes....people who don't love cheeseburgers.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Lineman are bigger, stronger, faster and more athletic today than they were 30+ years ago.

If it was better to be at 285 lbs, most would be there.  

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Lean 285 lb lineman? That’s Lebron James bro, it’s extremely far from common. Who of Wolford, Hull or Frerote fit this description? If anything they were just slightly smaller fat guys.

Edited by Nelius
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I know right. God forbid he doesn't speak the Queen's English.😂

I've heard enough interviews from pro athletes over the years. Dion comes off as Anthony Robbins and Jordan Peterson compared to most.

I found Dion to be incredibly articulate.  It was a great interview,  even with Cow continuing to stir the Diggs pot.

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I was there.  If we hit the stutter and go to Diggs on the first series it might have been a different game.   Maybe.  But we were just listless.  It was like there was no air in the place.  

Sometimes off-field stuff matters.  I think there was a lot of that last year, including the night before the game.  These guys dealt with a lot last year on and off the field, and … in hindsight I get it.  We were due to run out of gas, and I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if something beyond their control and off the field was the final straw. 

By ‘including the night before the game’, you’re referring to Cops being called to Allen’s house, right?

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I found Dion to be incredibly articulate.  It was a great interview,  even with Cow continuing to stir the Diggs pot.

If by Articulate you mean some pretty stammering responses and long winded metaphors ... He honestly sounded nervous. 

I know Dion is no dummy, but I just don't see the aspect of him being eloquent in this session or having some broadcast future. 

In a perfect world, I could honestly care less about his weight, I just see the correlation to his build and declining speed and performance. The film was much worse than his PFF grade....and even that is not great.  I'm worried about Dawkins. It's a huge year for him, and I'm hoping he gets focused. 

Edited by RichRiderBills

Good interview.  He's talkative and definitely has his own point of view.  Clearly loves Buffalo.   Funny how he gave the Jets-loving sidekick grief.  

Favorite quote:  "We're a group of men that love each other, play with each other... there are no worries."  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Those 280 pound lineman no matter how technically sound and a strong would get destroyed today

Ruben Brown was a machine and cut down to like 290… And he looked great, played awful

There’s a reason why there’s not 200lb linebackers … mass does matter When you’re on the field with a bunch of huge humans

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.