McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

3 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Is this true? I assume this is true. Wow.

Active coach at least.  I would assume it's true also.

Not that crazy if you think someone that has been coaching for 6 years though.

There are plenty other who have coached for less time that are on that list as well.

That doesn't make them bad coaches, just haven't been in the league as long.

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Indeed. The bar has changed but for many the bar is still low or too high. Depends on your perspective. 

So WHO IS? Name this magical man or men that could and can take Allen over the hump and into the promised land. 

WHO?

Who’s available or can be pried away? Who’s an offensive genius who’s just languishing coaching college ball? 
 Which “better coach” would take the job over their current deal with whatever team they’ve with?

Love how there’s never any concrete suggestions of actual people that would be better than McDermott that would realistically take the job.

”they’re out there” is all we get from these simps.

55 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

the problem is how many years do they have?  Personally i think it couldve be done by now.  And when it's done, then i think it'd all be gravy.  Guess you'd have to ask New England fans. One in these colors with that emblem, and i could deal with the human insatiable part. 

they have as many years as Allen is good, so yeah he’s going to be good for a bit longer.

Personally, I think it could’ve been done by now”…

Personally, what you think, or attempt to think, means less than nothing. 

Personally, YOU are not a professional football player, assistant, coach, GM or owner. Personally, you’re opinion about the expectations of the Buffalo Bills  means less than what I can scrape off my shoe.

19 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

You guys leave @Big Turkalone he don't know what else to say

I really wouldn’t poke that bear man. Just figure it out in DMs. Not a good look.

18 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

So WHO IS? Name this magical man or men that could and can take Allen over the hump and into the promised land. 

WHO?

Who’s available or can be pried away? Who’s an offensive genius who’s just languishing coaching college ball? 
 Which “better coach” would take the job over their current deal with whatever team they’ve with?

Love how there’s never any concrete suggestions of actual people that would be better than McDermott that would realistically take the job.

”they’re out there” is all we get from these simps.

It's been mentioned numerous times on varies topics here. I'm not about to reiterate them. 

It's absurd to think there are or were no reasonable options out there. 

There is life beyond McD. 

14 hours ago, ngbills said:

Could it be a message from ownership to the players, especially the black players. The GM and coach are my guys, you are a player aka the staff and need to know your place.

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

But hey, he’s our great white hope, so he gets a pass and Diggs is the issue. 

What is going on in this thread?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tanoros said:

Who wouldn’t be disappointed? We are Bills fans and we want a Super Bowl. With that being said, I think I would rather have years of a highly competitive team always on the verge vs winning a Superbowl and then falling on our face for years on end again (I know that’s a crazy take, and I also realize those aren’t the only options). I love watching Bills football and I love it even more when we have a chance in every game. I wound definitely trade that superbowl winning moment for years of true satisfaction watching the Bills week in and week out. Even though the Super Bowl is the ultimate goal, I’m a fan of a team that’s never one it yet. I just love being able to root for a team that truly stand toe to toe with the best.  There is no guarantee a new coach makes us better, and being in the chase every year means we have a shot to go on a run any of those years. Look at the Ravens with Harbough as an example. They are very competitive and generally always in the hunt. They and Flaco had a very nice run the season they won the Super Bowl. It’s not out of the question the Bills/Allen could do the same. I mean Allen is 10x the qb of Flaco. 

Look at the growing pains with Dorsey in his first year as OC, I think having a new up and coming offensive minded coach (as many seem to want) should come with the expectation that their would be growing pains from the coaching position too. Then, what does our defense look like? Does it regress, does the defense cost us games? What would be the consensus if our offense is truly elite, but our defense is holding the team back? 

I’m really excited to see what the defense looks like this year with McDermott calling the plays. I like the idea of having a cutting edge defensive minded coach in this era of offense. However, McDermott needs to show the defense can come to play in the playoffs. However, last year is hard to judge with all of the injuries. It’s supersizing they did (the whole team honestly) as well as they did with as banged up as they were. 

That's fair. Appreciate your post and views. 

I disagree with several points but nevertheless I hear where you are coming from. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 1onemangang7 said:

the problem is how many years do they have?  Personally i think it couldve be done by now. 

Could have easily been done in 2021.  It essentially was done.  We had it.  

Allen was on fire!

So why wasn't it?  Because the coach that just got extended made arguably the biggest reprehensible coaching blunder in the modern history of the NFL playoffs.  He undid it.  

True story!  

Edited by PBF81

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

It's been mentioned numerous times on varies topics here. I'm not about to reiterate them. 

It's absurd to think there are or were no reasonable options out there. 

There is life beyond McD. 

so these people, these stone cold lock coaches/gms have been “mentioned numerous times” and yet you can’t name me one. Give me your best - just one name then, since I must have missed the virtual geyser of coaching and GM candidates better than McBeane all you lay on your ass on the couch experts have in your little sticky red white & blue binders. Please 🙏 enlighten us

1 hour ago, 1onemangang7 said:

the problem is how many years do they have?  Personally i think it couldve be done by now.  And when it's done, then i think it'd all be gravy.  Guess you'd have to ask New England fans. One in these colors with that emblem, and i could deal with the human insatiable part. 

Actually the problem is you’re working with 2 beers shy of a sixer and there’s no use arguing with someone either this stupid or this deranged.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

It is fair, yup.

But the same - lost opportunities - can be said of any team that makes the playoffs - or comes close - without winning the SB. Andy Reid had a lot more than three years of lost opportunities as an HC till things came together for him. And he's very far from the only one.

But yeah, it certainly is a fair statement.

I think for the Bills you have to put it in a proper perspective. 

It cuts both ways as far as missed opportunities and future opportunities. 

Agree the Bills missed some opportunities. Is it a small sample? Not sure if it is or isn't. The missed opportunities don't sit well in my head. It doesn't exactly elude confidence going forward. It's put up or shut up time sort of speak. 

Can the Bills thrive in future years under McD and Beane. Yes and yes. Can they win it all? Absolutely. 

I think the biggest failures are Beane and the Bills organization not fully capitalizing on Allen's rookie contract. That was the optimum window to crush it. They squandered it with very poor draft choices and acquisitions. Look at Cinci, KC, and Philly as prime examples of success. Bills clearly don't fit into that category despite have a monster QB. 

Fast forward to today and it becomes more difficult to win it all. The cap and money restrictions have had its toll. Beane himself has addressed this issue and eluded to Cinci and Burrow still on his rookie contract in his presser. 

It appears the Bills path to the SB is becoming increasingly more difficult. Perhaps, I'm off on my thinking here? There are whispers amoung the football experts that the Bills are going to descend. Take that for what it's worth. 

We are about to find out shortly the path of the team. What's clear like it or not is Beane and McD are likely riding the ship for several more years. They still have a lot to prove...

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think for the Bills you have to put it in a proper perspective. 

It cuts both ways as far as missed opportunities and future opportunities. 

Agree the Bills missed some opportunities. Is it a small sample? Not sure if it is or isn't. The missed opportunities don't sit well in my head. It doesn't exactly elude confidence going forward. It's put up or shut up time sort of speak. 

Can the Bills thrive in future years under McD and Beane. Yes and yes. Can they win it all? Absolutely. 

I think the biggest failures are Beane and the Bills organization not fully capitalizing on Allen's rookie contract. That was the optimum window to crush it. They squandered it with very poor draft choices and acquisitions. Look at Cinci, KC, and Philly as prime examples of success. Bills clearly don't fit into that category despite have a monster QB. 

Fast forward to today and it becomes more difficult to win it all. The cap and money restrictions have had its toll. Beane himself has addressed this issue and eluded to Cinci and Burrow still on his rookie contract in his presser. 

It appears the Bills path to the SB is becoming increasingly more difficult. Perhaps, I'm off on my thinking here? There are whispers amoung the football experts that the Bills are going to descend. Take that for what it's worth. 

We are about to find out shortly the path of the team. What's clear like it or not is Beane and McD are likely riding the ship for several more years. They still have a lot to prove...

Big jumbo $3 extra word salad. Still haven’t named a name. Or combo GM/head coach names. Go ahead

20 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

so these people, these stone cold lock coaches/gms have been “mentioned numerous times” and yet you can’t name me one. Give me your best - just one name then, since I must have missed the virtual geyser of coaching and GM candidates better than McBeane all you lay on your ass on the couch experts have in your little sticky red white & blue binders. Please 🙏 enlighten us

As mentioned for coaches were Sean Payton, Ben Johnson, and Lou Anarumo. 

No one is saying they are or were locks. They were options. 

I'm fine with you disagreeing. 

Now can you stop with the borderline chastising? 

21 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

As mentioned for coaches were Sean Payton, Ben Johnson, and Lou Anarumo. 

holy s**t those are the guys huh.

One is absolutely not available. (And won a total of 1 super bowls (against a bad team) with a HOF QB despite being tied to that QB for a decade+)

One is very okay, also hasn’t won anything and has the luxury of Burrow/Chase/Mixon/Higgins

One is another defensive guy, which I thought you people had half the problem with.

yep. All clear upgrades.

And they were never options.

Edited by JoPoy88

12 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

It's not that difficult to establish a winning tradition when you have a quarterback who will literally do anything in his physical power to win football games

NOT THAT DIFFICULT??  Shirley you jest! Until these guys arrived, establishing a winning tradition wasn’t possible since Flutie retired. -Fitz & Bledsoe were even better than lil Dougie. 

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

holy s**t those are the guys huh.

One is absolutely not available. (And won a total of 1 super bowls (against a bad team) with a HOF QB despite being tied to that QB for a decade+)

One is very okay, also hasn’t won anything and has the luxury of Burrow/Chase/Mixon/Higgins

One is another defensive guy, which I thought you people had half the problem with.

yep. All clear upgrades.

And they were never options.

I answered your question. 

So much wrong with your post. 

Clearly, you want to argue, fight, and insult rather than have a civilized debate. 

Have a great day. I'm finished responding to you. Not mad or angry. Just don't want to waste my time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

NOT THAT DIFFICULT??  Shirley you jest! Until these guys arrived, establishing a winning tradition wasn’t possible since Flutie retired. -Fitz & Bledsoe were even better than lil Dougie. 

Exactly the point he's making. None of those QBs can even compare to Allen. 

I think it's fair to say Allen makes a coaches job easier. Allen definelty equates to plenty of regular season wins. 

I'm on the record saying any decent coach could probably have taken the Bills to the playoffs the last few years. It says more about Allen than it does about McD. 

The risk factor is not great at all. I don't think this is a unrealistic statement. Allen is simply that good where the previous Bills QBs were not. 

Do the Bills with Allen win because of McD or despite McD come regular season and playoff time? How much do the Bills win or lose because of Allen or McD? No easy answers there. 

What's pretty indefensible is Allen equates to the Bills winning. Can you say the same for McD? Can another coach do more or less? 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

I've said this before but at this point it would have to be an established extremely successful offensive head coach who's won or been to a Super Bowl recently.  I can't think of any that were available.  You could make the case for Sean Payton but he hasn't won one since 2009.

If you're Pegula you'd look like an idiot if you fire a proven winner who hasn't quite broken through in the playoffs yet, hire the best next young offensive coordinator like Ben Johnson, and then realize he's not meant to be a head coach (Josh McDaniels, Nate Hackett, Adam Gase, Marty Mornhinweng, Mike McCoy, Cam Cameron, Norv Turner, etc..).  Plus, it's not really fair to hire a first time head coach and have the fan base saying Super Bowl or bust their first year. 

Then there's always the fear that McDermott will turn around a franchise somewhere else and win a Super Bowl making you look like even more of an idiot.  Don't think these thoughts aren't going through Pegula's head as he is human after all.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

85% of your posts are little jabs. Like super weak jabs thrown by a babies toe weak. 

15% of your posts, I see a rational side of you.  With thought.  Not emotions

you need to temper your expectations bro..

Ha ha ha ha ha

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I've said this before but at this point it would have to be an established extremely successful offensive head coach who's won or been to a Super Bowl recently.  I can't think of any that were available.  You could make the case for Sean Payton but he hasn't won one since 2009.

If you're Pegula you'd look like an idiot if you fire a proven winner who hasn't quite broken through in the playoffs yet, hire the best next young offensive coordinator like Ben Johnson, and then realize he's not meant to be a head coach (Josh McDaniels, Nate Hackett, Adam Gase, Marty Mornhinweng, Mike McCoy, Cam Cameron, Norv Turner, etc..).  Plus, it's not really fair to hire a first time head coach and have the fan base saying Super Bowl or bust their first year. 

Then there's always the fear that McDermott will turn around a franchise somewhere else and win a Super Bowl making you look like even more of an idiot.  Don't think these thoughts aren't going through Pegula's head as he is human after all.

I don't think that's Pegula's mindset at all. He isn't scared of making a change based on looking foolish. That's something I just can't buy into. My sense thinks Pegula feels McD and Beane can progress the team further. Hopefully, he's right. 

Most coaches would gladly accept the challenge of the Bills head coaching job. Having Allen aboard makes their job instantly successful or at the very least easier. Coaches know the risk they take. I don't believe the it's not fair philosophy applies whatsoever. 

It's an assessment of risk vs reward. Weigh them and ask yourself are the Bills better with McD as their head coach. I think most fans would answer yes.

Fear of change is often an obstacle to success. Just something to ponder. 

Edited by newcam2012

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I hope it wasn’t one of the first things you learned about him…..like so many of the people who ever attended Harvard. 

Nope- it took two years for me to find out.  His brother told me,and it wasn’t a brag.  Brilliant family, but very humble and honorable 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Active coach at least.  I would assume it's true also.

Not that crazy if you think someone that has been coaching for 6 years though.

There are plenty other who have coached for less time that are on that list as well.

That doesn't make them bad coaches, just haven't been in the league as long.

1). John Madden is the only coach of the 73 Super Bowl coaches in the history of the NFL to have gone longer than McD without making a Super Bowl appearance.  Madden did it in Season 8.  

2). Only 11 coaches won their 1st Super Bowl season 7 or later, only 3 (Tom Landry, John Madden, Bill Cowher) did so with their 1st team as Head Coach.

3).  In fact of the 35 different Super Bowl winning head coaches, 29 of them won their 1st championship within the first 5 seasons.

4). No team has ever started the same QB under the same head coach for more than 5 years and seen that duo win its 1st championship.

These historical stats, along with the current trend from last 5 Super Bowls of only 1 defensive coach (Belichick last SB in 2018 season) being defensive get me to the conclusion that McD even making, let alone winning a Super Bowl is extreme long shot.  

Yes he could be the exception to all this information, but no one would bet those odds.  

Furthermore, it’s not personal for me.  I’m pretty sure he is a great man and I know he is a really good head coach.  That just doesn’t change the facts, data, and historical trends that tell me he is not likely to get to the ultimate prize with the Bills.  I sincerely hope he proves all this information and me wrong.

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McD is a very good coach who has shown the ability to self-scout and course-correct.  He deserves the job security.

Beane, on the other hand?  He’s one of those employees who bet on the right horses (McDermott and Allen) and has mostly survived by hitting it straight down the fairway.  Frankly he’s lucky to have somehow made it past the 2022 offseason - maybe he convinced Terry not to penalize him for Von’s injury.  Because the 2022 draft and free agency forays were unmitigated disasters for a team that needed a real talent infusion to get it over the top.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the bottom line fact at this junction is these extensions are premature

If by chance we goto the playoffs and implode or fail to show up... again... then I believe we need to move on

My confidence in the McDerott and Beane is dwindling. Beane may be good at the salary cap, but the players he has signed and drafted are more misses than homeruns, and alot of Ho-Hum types... Maybe this year is different, but by chance if we see the same type of stuff as last season his extension is going to get ripped as more fans pile on 

If McD cannot fix our bend don't break D and eliminate playoff gafs, or having a team who looks unprepared for a stretch of the season and seeing it the playoffs then the extension is going to get ripped as more fans pile on

I believe this season had to be let's see if they can fix their short comings then we'll talk extension but for some reason Pegula's thought they had to rush to get this done before we actually see the baby

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

McD is a very good coach who has shown the ability to self-scout and course-correct.  He deserves the job security.

I guess I need examples of self-scout and course-correction... 

55 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

1). John Madden is the only coach of the 73 Super Bowl coaches in the history of the NFL to have gone longer than McD without making a Super Bowl appearance.  Madden did it in Season 8.  

2). Only 11 coaches won their 1st Super Bowl season 7 or later, only 3 (Tom Landry, John Madden, Bill Cowher) did so with their 1st team as Head Coach.

3).  In fact of the 35 different Super Bowl winning head coaches, 29 of them won their 1st championship within the first 5 seasons.

4). No team has ever started the same QB under the same head coach for more than 5 years and seen that duo win its 1st championship.

These historical stats, along with the current trend from last 5 Super Bowls of only 1 defensive coach (Belichick last SB in 2018 season) being defensive get me to the conclusion that McD even making, let alone winning a Super Bowl is extreme long shot.  

Yes he could be the exception to all this information, but no one would bet those odds.  

Furthermore, it’s not personal for me.  I’m pretty sure he is a great man and I know he is a really good head coach.  That just doesn’t change the facts, data, and historical trends that tell me he is not likely to get to the ultimate prize with the Bills.  I sincerely hope he proves all this information and me wrong.

Really solid data backing up your viewpoint. 

I happen to agree with you. 

Also, I would like to add some unscientific data to the equation. Just do an eyeball test and ask yourself why do you think McD is the man? Just look at his playoff history. The Texans loss. The Jags loss. The 13 second heart ripping disaster. The Cinci embarrassment.

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Lighten up dude/dudette

He has an opinion. If you don't like it go back to your sausage party, muslim festival or LGBTQ fest and live it up. We don't care what u think either.

McD and beaner got what they deserve! Let's be happy we have them.

It's fans (or tools) like yourself that make this world a menutia.

• Dislike 1

10 hours ago, Dopey said:

Reid didn’t make the afc championship game until year 6.

Uhm, no.

Reid made the AFC Championship game in year 3, 4, 5, and 6. And went to the Super Bowl in year 6.

By the same point in his career that McDermott is in now, Reid had been in 3 more championship games and a Super Bowl.

I must admit. I laughed when I saw that @Augie liked your post that was filled with factual errors. Shows that some posters don’t want facts - they simply want their feelings and opinions validated.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Also, I would like to add some unscientific data to the equation. Just do an eyeball test and ask yourself why do you think McD is the man? Just look at his playoff history. The Texans loss. The Jags loss. The 13 second heart ripping disaster. The Cinci embarrassment.

Certainly, again not personal.  I like the man, and he is a good coach.

Bills defense in last 3 playoff losses:

CIN:  27 pts, 412 yards, 30 1st downs, 60% allowed on 3rd/4th down

KC:  42 pts, 552 yards, 30 1st downs, 64% allowed 3rd/4th down

KC:  38 pts, 439 yards, 29 1st downs, 64% on 3rd/4th downs

0 Turnovers forced and 4 total sacks

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsflyer12 said:

How many coaches have not made the Super Bowl? Well if you go by the numbers… 518 HC’s in the history of the NFL with 73 making appearances in the big one… that leaves 445. Of that I have no doubt there are numerous really good head coaches 

Can’t knock you for trying to see the silver lining. It’s admirable and I don’t disagree that Sean is a good coach. He is. Undoubtably. I just feel they should have seen what this year gives the franchise before another extension. 

Shottenheimer. Chuck Knox. John Fox. Dennis Green. Norv Turner just to name a few who were great HCs that never got it done. 

Does it matter with the extensions? Not really. There’s plenty of turnover at the drop of a hat but I fear for our team that he turns into Chuck Knox and falls short of getting to the doorstep. 

A win is a win in the playoffs, yes. One and only one of his 4 P/O wins were convincing when Buffalo were clearly the superior talent. This team has had blunders and no shows. Something, at least to my experience, comes from coaching when it is a repeat occurrence. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am not sure why Terry Pegula decided to extend McBeane now. I doubt they would be wanting to go anywhere. But noone has mentioned that there would be that possibility if a team came a knocking if they weren't extended at the end?

some nippy errr chippiness reading up in here y'all. I know we love the Bills sooo Serious. It's a done deal. Count me Happy! I threw in nippy to get a grin out of you alpha males lmao

In summary noone will convince me otherwise that this upcoming season is not THE YEAR we win the Lombardi

Prove me wrong.

**snicker snicker** see what I did there?

GO BILLS!~!~!!!

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't think anyone disputes the recent success of the Bills. Indeed Its way more fun watching Bills games. That's a given. 

The real question is can the Bills progress in the playoffs, make a SB appearence, and win a SB. 

It's a realistic goal because they have Allen. 

No one knows the future. I'd ask will you feel disappointed if 10 years from now the Bills haven't appeared in a SB? Assuming Allen was relatively healthy and still the Bills QB. 

I know I will be disappointed regardless of their regular season record. 

I'm disappointed every year we don't win a Super Bowl.  It's heart-breaking. The four falls is still on my mind. But it's sure a lot easier watching this version of Buffalo football compared to the Rex, Marrone, Jauron eras.  We've really only had 3 coaches who brought consistent success to Buffalo (Phillips, Levy and McD.)  It's nice to have that now. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I thought you didn’t like beating the dead horse?

• Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.