McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

Just now, Ya Digg? said:

Dude what are you talking about?? How is your first thought about this a race thing?

Diggs has issue with things. McD and Beane are rewarded. Could be related could be not. We knows maybe Diggs went as far as saying the team needs a change in leadership and this is the message no it does not. 

• Vomit 4

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Failed to meet whose expectations?  The fans buoyed by excessive positive press the last two years?

It’s not about failing to reach expectations. It’s about HOW they failed which falls on McDermott.

I still believe McDermott’s seat gets hotter if the Bills get blown out again in the playoffs as opposed to missing the wildcard cut at 10-7.

• Eyeroll 1

32 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

There go the people who thought they were on the hot seat which I found laughable.

I didn't think they were on the ho seat. I also wouldn't extend them, not yet anyway. Most of these guys been watching football since birth. How long have you been in country?

8 minutes ago, ngbills said:

This is going to be an unpopular take. But the timing is interesting. Could it be a message from ownership to the players, especially the black players. The GM and coach are my guys, you are a player aka the staff and need to know your place. Diggs speaking up and challenging the coach and GM stirred the pot. So Pegula needs to show that he stands with them. Who knows maybe some of the character guys talk bothers players. It can be viewed as a certain way to some of the black players. It was interesting in the comments around this extension, specifically calling out being a good Christian, etc. 

Sure buddy. Got any more fan fiction for us? 

By the way, these extensions have been done for a while. They were just announced today. So your timing argument is just as invalid as the rest of these scribblings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Einstein said:

But, why?

Didn't they have several years of contract left?  

Was thru 2025

Strange to extend now.  

Guessing that Pegs for emotional and wanted them to christen the new stadium.

Let's hope that faith was well placed.  

20 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

It's excusable when you got 3 SB's and 2 wins there

Is it excusable when you are 1-4 between 2015 and 2018 after not getting it done in Philly? 

I love the argument that Reid needed a QB during those years, but McDermott would "do nothing" without Allen 😂

Edited by What a Tuel

58 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

This might ruffle a few feathers in here lol.

Congrats to the both of them.

57 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

They deserve it.

56 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Some Heads around here are exploding as we type, 😂

K extensions, especially with Pegula, do NOT mean they will be employed through the term of the new deal.

It just means they were extended.  If Pegula decides one or both have to go before end of term, they'll be gone and he'll eat the K.

He did precisely that with Sabres long time GM Darcy Regier.  Got a big multi-year extension a matter of months before he was fired.

This is basically meaningless information if you are trying to speculate about the future.

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Failed to meet whose expectations?  The fans buoyed by excessive positive press the last two years?

Exactly.  As the owners have stated, their expectations, for both the Bills and Sabres, are sustainable success with an opportunity to win championships.  Beane and McDermott have done that.  Adams and Granato are building the same way.  They want to win championships, but I think it is highly unlikely that Terry Pegula abandons the goal of sustainable success based on whim, or short term disappointment, or certainly fan expectations.  Their time will come.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Pegula offered them raises out of the blue because of all the bad media.

This was the first thing I was thinking also.

What better way to get people to stop making claims about rifts between the players and coaches than extending them.

I have no problem with the extension because they have done well enough to deserve it and it doesn't mean that thinks can't change later on.

52 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They don’t underperform. That’s the thing. At least not consistently. They are 1 of 2 teams to win a playoff game each of the last 3 years.

Two wild-card games and a Divisional game?

With Allen?  

I certainly hope that fan expectations going forward are higher than that. 

Just sayin''

• Thank you (+1) 1

I read a report that states McD and Beane were secretly conspiring to walk out on the team if they weren’t given an extension. They voiced their concerns with resignation papers in hand.  Terry folded to the pressure and here we are.

• Haha (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Diggs has issue with things. McD and Beane are rewarded. Could be related could be not. We knows maybe Diggs went as far as saying the team needs a change in leadership and this is the message no it does not. 

Methinks he had more of an issue with McD, and he probably got a phone call from McD, Beane, and TP after all the bad press.  

17 minutes ago, ngbills said:

This is going to be an unpopular take. But the timing is interesting. Could it be a message from ownership to the players, especially the black players. The GM and coach are my guys, you are a player aka the staff and need to know your place. Diggs speaking up and challenging the coach and GM stirred the pot. So Pegula needs to show that he stands with them. Who knows maybe some of the character guys talk bothers players. It can be viewed as a certain way to some of the black players. It was interesting in the comments around this extension, specifically calling out being a good Christian, etc. 

good lord

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Thru 2025 otherwise, three more seasons.

Extending them seems unnecessary if that's the case. Letting the next three seasons just play out would make sense. 

But it's whatever. It's not like an extension prevents them from being let go, if it comes to that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Gregg said:

They have changed the culture of the organization. Of course, Allen is a big part of that. Three straight division titles, 5 playoff appearances in 6 years so it's no surprise Pegula extended them. They need to get over the hump in the playoffs as these playoff disappointments are getting old.

Agreed, three wild-card round wins and one Divisional win, 0-fer on the road ain't cutting it with Allen.  

Some seem to be quite content with that however.  

The timing of this feels more like a PR move than anything else. A contract extension for the coach and GM means nothing, Pegula could still fire them tomorrow if he really wanted to. There's been a lot of media pressure on the Bills in recent weeks, mostly the Bills' own doing - their handling of the Stefon Diggs situation was a major PR blunder. Extending McDermott and Beane now feels like a way to let everybody in the building know nothing has changed and there is no added pressure. And that's fine. I don't think McDermott and Beane are really on the hot seat with Pegula. But if the season is a disaster this extension isn't going to be the thing that stops him from making changes.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

good lord

Yup, what some folk come up with, 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Agreed, three wild-card round wins and one Divisional win, 0-fer on the road ain't cutting it with Allen.  

Some seem to be quite content with that however.  

I agree with you. These playoff losses are frustrating. I was really mad after 13 seconds, but Terry is the one who calls the shots. He obviously feels they can do the job.

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

What a joke. This clown literally stole a potential super bowl from the team with that epic choke job in KC a couple of years ago and people still bow at his feet. He should have been fired on the spot right then and there.

The drought really has scarred many of you from dreaming big. We lucked into the most naturally gifted QB in the league. The bare minimum should be a playoff spot.

Clapmaster 2000 is the weakest link on this team. I had wished ownership could have seen this even if the pompom waving crowd couldn't.

Well, let's see how it all plays out.  

It's funny.  So many folks thought it was Super Bowl or Bust for McD.  Apparently, Terry didn't see it that way.  

I'm personally happy.  After 17 years of hopelessness, we finally have a legitimate shot at the Lombardi with these two.  

You can't win the dance competition without a ticket to the dance.  These guys give us tickets.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, ngbills said:

this is sick. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

The only reason I can think they wanted to extend through 2027 is because of the new stadium. I doubt Terry wants a new staff at the new stadium

lmao the random rationalization because it cant be they are happy with McDermott and Beane's progress of putting us in the position to finally win it all. Its gotta be x y z instead.

Once again here we have proof that NFL owners may be super rich, but most of them are as dumb as a rock. This move was NOT needed, and really is mind boggling. There's absolutely no good reason to do this.

Reminds me of the big contract given to Fitzpatrick years ago, mid season, after the Bills got off to a good start (5-1, I think). What happened for the rest of the year though? LOL

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ngbills said:

this is crazy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.