6 Deshawn Watson

7 Patrick Mahomes

8 Josh 

soon to jump up

Joe Burrow

Justin Herbert 

next year 

Trevor Lawrence 

We get on Brandon from time to time but just an amazing job by the front office to lock Josh up early he’s looking more and more like they shopped at Walmart for a franchise QB. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Just kind of how it goes, as he makes his way down that list he slowly approaches the moment he jumps back to the top.

1566000901391-1864761995.jpg.4be424977da7fb3f2367705be89ec107.jpg

Edited by DJB
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Beane had to fork over the highest guaranteed money in league history at the time to get that deal with Allen done.

That other QBs got paid more subsequently isn't due to Beane's contract skills.

No but he paid him earlier than many on here wanted him to pay Josh.  That is due to his contract skills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

40 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

1. Lamar Jackson 

2. Jalen Hurts

3. Aaron Rogers

4. Russell Wilson 

5 Kyler Murray

6 Deshawn Watson

7 Patrick Mahomes

8 Josh 

soon to jump up

Joe Burrow

Justin Herbert 

next year 

Trevor Lawrence 

We get on Brandon from time to time but just an amazing job by the front office to lock Josh up early he’s looking more and more like they shopped at Walmart for a franchise QB. 

Welcome to the modern QB market. 

• Agree 2

So, why does anyone care what any of these guys get paid, I mean really?  Rest assured they are all doing really well when compared to all incomes in the US, in fact they are all top two percent annually. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

So, why does anyone care what any of these guys get paid, I mean really?  Rest assured they are all doing really well when compared to all incomes in the US, in fact they are all top two percent annually. 

I think that as Bills/NFL fans, a lot of folks are interested in how their salaries impact the salary cap and how that helps or limits the team's ability to sign other quality players.  That's where I fall.  The other perspective is that, as a fan, people think "their guy" is the best, and since their salaries are public, they want to see their guy at the top of the list.  Personally, I like it when my guy is willing to take less so that the team can benefit more.  Brady did this, Mahomes is doing this, and Allen is doing it too.  Allen could have held out for more money than the Bills paid him, but instead took a very fair deal that took care of him nicely and also left some room for the team to sign other guys.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

No but he paid him earlier than many on here wanted him to pay Josh.  That is due to his contract skills

he resigned him after his 4th year of his rookie contract.  That’s when you sign a star franchise QB who is lighting up the league….

• Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

he resigned him after his 4th year of his rookie contract.  That’s when you sign a star franchise QB who is lighting up the league….

No he signed him after his 3rd year, that was the leap that not all teams have made it and it certainly saved the Bills some money. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

This.  

Imagine if Beane had waited as long to extend Allen as Baltimore waited to extend Jackson.  

Not to mention how much more work they'd create for themselves when trying to sign other players.  Players see you playing games with a talent like Josh they may not want to play for a team that's is managed that way.  If they already put in the effort on the field with their play they surely won't feel they should have to put in more effort just to get what they earned.  

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

1. Lamar Jackson 

2. Jalen Hurts

3. Aaron Rogers

4. Russell Wilson 

5 Kyler Murray

6 Deshawn Watson

7 Patrick Mahomes

8 Josh 

soon to jump up

Joe Burrow

Justin Herbert 

next year 

Trevor Lawrence 

There's nothing special about this at all from a GM's point of view. Everyone but Mahomes was signed after Allen, and the money a franchise QB gets is pretty automatic. Any new contract is going to put a guy at or near the top even if he isn't the best. in 2014 Jay Culter was the highest paid player in the league. No one, not even his parents, ever thought he was the best player in football.

If you want to pump up Beane, credit him for something he actually had control over.

https://www.businessinsider.com/jay-cutler-bears-nfl-salary-cap-2014-1

The real measure of Beane's ability — and Josh's commitment to winning with the Bills — will be when he signs his next one. Will he want to be number one or two again? Or will he do a Brady and accept a reasonably hefty deal but not one that hamstrings the organization's ability to spend on other players.

I hope it's the latter, but I won't be sure till if and when it happens.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

1. Lamar Jackson 

2. Jalen Hurts

3. Aaron Rogers

4. Russell Wilson 

5 Kyler Murray

6 Deshawn Watson

7 Patrick Mahomes

8 Josh 

soon to jump up

Joe Burrow

Justin Herbert 

next year 

Trevor Lawrence 

His is 12th in cap hit this year. 5th next year (ahead of Mahomes), and 2nd in 2025. Only Watson's stupid contract carries a bigger cap number.

We have barely entered his big contract years. He will have to have an extension to lessen what will likely be very heavy cap hits in the next few seasons. Sometimes AAV is good, sometimes it doesn't tell the whole story. Sure Allen's total value may or may not be worth more, but what matters is the yearly cap number and it is about to be very high very soon. 

Josh has a fair deal, but we aren't getting a mid tier QB contract coming down the pike any time soon.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2025/cap-hit/quarterback/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-25102/cash-earnings/

Edited by Mango
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

The real measure of Beane's ability — and Josh's commitment to winning with the Bills — will be when he signs his next one. Will he want to be number one or two again? Or will he do a Brady and accept a reasonably hefty deal but not one that hamstrings the organization's ability to spend on other players.

I hope it's the latter, but I won't be sure till if and when it happens.

Not really, putting homerism aside Josh is pretty undisputedly a top 5 QB in the NFL and when one of them reaches the point where you have to pay them again you ***** pay them, and it's ridiculous to expect Josh to take less than he's worth.

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

1. Lamar Jackson 

2. Jalen Hurts

3. Aaron Rogers

4. Russell Wilson 

5 Kyler Murray

6 Deshawn Watson

7 Patrick Mahomes

8 Josh 

soon to jump up

Joe Burrow

Justin Herbert 

next year 

Trevor Lawrence 

With the exception of Patty and Aaron, the rest of that list is crap 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Not really, putting homerism aside Josh is pretty undisputedly a top 5 QB in the NFL and when one of them reaches the point where you have to pay them again you ***** pay them, and it's ridiculous to expect Josh to take less than he's worth.

Mahomes recently said he doesn't need to be the highest paid player. Considering he's the most accomplished QB and most valuable player in the league, that's what we're up against:

It’s not about being the highest-paid guy,” Mahomes said. “It’s not about making a ton of money. I’ve made enough money where I’ll be set for the rest of my life. But at the same time, you got to find that line where you’re making a good amount of money but you’re still keeping like great players around you so you can win these Super Bowls and you’re able to compete in these games.”

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article275756221.html#storylink=cpy

I wouldn't be surprised if 9 out of 10 QBs go for the most money but I would be happy to have the outlier who doesn't demand the most so the team can better compete. Does Josh need his ego to be fed, or does he still want to make more money than he will ever spend but have a better shot at a real legacy?

Edited by Nephilim17

6 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if 9 out of 10 QBs go for the most money but I would be happy to have the outlier who doesn't demand the most so the team can better compete. Does Josh need his ego to be fed, or does he still want to make more money than he will ever spend but have a better shot at a real legacy?

Related: they say Brady took less money so that his team could afford better role players. They say. Kind of appears true, because he's not even on this list of the top 8.

13 minutes ago, boater said:

Related: they say Brady took less money so that his team could afford better role players. They say. Kind of appears true, because he's not even on this list of the top 8.

If you put your sports ego aside and trust your GM. Take $30M instead of $50M per. Let your GM use that $20M to build the team around you. Win a few super bowls, be a superstar like Brady. You will earn that $20Mper back in endorsements and marketing while playing and have even more money waiting for you when you retire. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

2 hours ago, boater said:

How much did he get under the table---we're talking New England here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.