Colin Cowherd at it again

I'm Spartacus

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Thanks, I would like to read that article. And while I do respect the moves that were made this offseason, I remain just a bit peeved over the years of neglect wrt WRs and the OL.

For the record, I think that you and others will grow to appreciate Damien Harris this season. He is by no means a superstar but between his running, receivng, and his bg time willingness to block, he might be capable of winning us a game or 2. 

Harris interests me.  Motor didn’t exactly get the Big Bucks in FA so they must believe Harris added an element Motor did not - and Motor did fashion himself into a good blocker.  His hands were not what one wished, however.

I think overall we agree there has been a lack of quality investments on offense, especially prior to the 2022 season.  And of course doubling down at DE with Creed Humphries on the board pissed me off.

But my concern is that the root problem isn’t so much lack of offensive investment as spending what investment there was on the wrong guys

I don't blame anyone for listening to Cowherd, I did from 2004 until last year.

With that said, his show is awful. 

Same opinions day after day, same stories, same guests in the same time slots.

There is no real knowledge being shared.

He's a normal guy who watches some sports on the weekend in California. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don't blame anyone for listening to Cowherd, I did from 2004 until last year.

With that said, his show is awful. 

Same opinions day after day, same stories, same guests in the same time slots.

There is no real knowledge being shared.

His show is awful with no real substance but you listened for 18 years?   

:lol:

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

That’s the appeal. Cowherd isn’t a click baiter, not a provocateur, nor biased. He speaks intelligently and without a lot of bells/whistles on his show which is refreshing. Bills fans are upset because his points cut deep.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Lol "Bills fans" eh, Airseven? Letting the veil slip apparently

Cowherd is also a serial moron that switches his opinion from one week to the next. He was very much a champion of this McDermott coached team, as recently as picking them throughout the playoffs a whole 5 months ago. 

This team rips off a few early wins and his whole rationale will change, as any casual that has listened to this dope for more than two shows would know. He also still sounds like his teeth don't fit.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

He's not exactly wrong though...

We have a lot of money & resources tied up in the defense, even though it might've been better served to invest more in the offense. Trying to be good at everything instead of bolstering your biggest strength might be part of the reason for our failures.

We've had a top defense for a couple years now, and we don't have anything to show for it. Chiefs & Bengals have powerful offenses & have met in the AFCCG each of the last 2 years. Their defenses aren't better than ours, so what is it? Some would say their QBs, but I'd say more potent offenses & superior coaching.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Airseven said:

That’s the appeal. Cowherd isn’t a click baiter, not a provocateur, nor biased. He speaks intelligently and without a lot of bells/whistles on his show which is refreshing. Bills fans are upset because his points cut deep.

He discusses the same 4 topics everyday - Cowboys, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Westbrook, LeBron James, and a bonus topic is Patrick Mahomes ball washing now that Tom Brady is gone. 

Happy you get something out of his show, but I never tuned in to hear positive Bills talk. 

He's just an endless loop of the same topics everyday, with none of those creative topics from earlier in his career. 

Tell me again Colin how you've moved 7 times, or how great LA is because it's got beaches and mountains. 

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

His show is awful with no real substance but you listened for 18 years?   

:lol:

😅🤣😂 giggles

It was good for many years. 

There was a drop off when he moved to LA, for instance, the show became a my life in California commercial, but the topics have dried up to a point where the show is on a script. 

By the way, Nextmanup, of the National Shows - who is good? Should I be listening to Jay Will, Key and Max, and Max's obsessions with current best player in the world rankings, maybe I should listen to Dan Patrick and his "yeah, Paulie", "yeah Fritzie", "yeah McLovin", every 4-seconds with a Reggie Miller interview? 

You're the expert, so tell me. 

Pat Mcafee and the constant laughing? 

Maybe I should just listen to Schopp and Bulldog. Mike's brain has shrunk to betting and fantasy and odds making, and Bulldog hasn't left his house in 4-years since COVID and is proud to tell everyone that.  

15 hours ago, Airseven said:

Cowherd is very very clickbait driven he says all sorts of things just to be controversial. He got fired for racial comments in 2015 and while you can chalk that incident up to over sensitivity it wasn’t the only time he stirred up controversy 

You can like Cowherd but to say he is not a sensational driven media type is just not accurate 

Edited by billsfan89

On 6/13/2023 at 1:39 PM, benderbender said:

Just wait until his exposé on McDermott's handling of Diggs on tomorrow's show. Sprinkle in his court jester's critical prods due to his Jets fandom and it will be an awful show to listen to. Full of "Andy Reid would never" and "Offensive coaches know better."

Hey to say I called it but let’s just say there’s a Cowherd drinking game where you take a shot every time he says “offensive coach” and everyone gets alcohol poisoning.

15 hours ago, Nelius said:

Lol "Bills fans" eh, Airseven? Letting the veil slip apparently

Cowherd is also a serial moron that switches his opinion from one week to the next. He was very much a champion of this McDermott coached team, as recently as picking them throughout the playoffs a whole 5 months ago. 

This team rips off a few early wins and his whole rationale will change, as any casual that has listened to this dope for more than two shows would know. He also still sounds like his teeth don't fit.

Yup.  He was a big fan of McD prior to his recent rants. I’m sure he was a big fan when he beat KC in KC last year with a healthy team.  How soon some forget

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Airseven said:

He's also intelligent, which threatens people who aren't equally intelligent.

On 6/12/2023 at 10:50 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

This team is SB or bust and has been for a couple years now. Anything less is a disappointment.  Doesnt matter the coach. You can have a good season with lots of regular season wins but at this point anything less than playing in the SuperBowl is a failed season. 

I agree with everything except "doesn't matter the coach."

Coach McD had a big hand in the Bills not making a SB appearence the last 2 year's. 

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree with everything except "doesn't matter the coach."

Coach McD had a big hand in the Bills not making a SB appearence the last 2 year's. 

Look at the defense for the eagles that let the chiefs score the winning TD and let a player run completely uncovered.

Do you blame that on the DC or the HC?

Honestly curious.

5 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Look at the defense for the eagles that let the chiefs score the winning TD and let a player run completely uncovered.

Do you blame that on the DC or the HC?

Honestly curious.

I don't know enough about how the dynamics of the Eagles coaching staff. 

Ultimately, the coach is responsible for the team's play. The DC does deserve scrunity too. 

I'd say both to answer your question. 

8 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Cowherd has a show because he's a good talker, not because he has good judgment.

I don't value his opinions.  Most of us on TBD know more about the Bills than he does.  

Yeah, and a lot of people confuse being a good talker with knowledge and intelligence. That’s how the show has been so successful, but you can actually hear the same stuff on any sports talk show. 

On 6/12/2023 at 2:26 PM, CSBill said:

Because the Jets have an offensive-minded HC, right?

lol, good point.

these guys spin a narrative, but are too lazy to spend 10 minutes covering the loose ends.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/15/2023 at 7:05 AM, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, and a lot of people confuse being a good talker with knowledge and intelligence. That’s how the show has been so successful, but you can actually hear the same stuff on any sports talk show. 

One reason I watch him some is….at least they are not all SCREAMING at each other like most ESPN shows. That’s a pretty low bar, and I’m listening to more music lately.   🤷‍♂️

Funny little side note regarding Cowher side kick JMac the Jets fan: In light of the Diggs Drama yesterday he said it’s about time the Bills have to face some adversity after 3 years of ascending reputation with no obstacles. WAIT! WHAT? We didn’t face any adversity last year? I won’t bother listing the adversities we faced last year, but it’s hard to think of a team that faced more adversity in a single season. 

These guys talk all day and are bound to say something stupid at some point, but that was just showing bias and ignorance wrapped in one statement. It’s why I can’t take them too serious. Like the games themselves, I have to remind myself it’s just a form of entertainment. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gary Marangi said:

He is doing his early division picks today said there is one early surprise. Wanna bet it's Buffalo not winning division and predicts us to finish 3rd in AFC East

He had Miami winning the AFCE with the Bills still making the playoffs as a wild card. 

That’s fine, it could happen and what do I care what he says at this point. Win a few in a row and look good doing the bandwagon will come back around. Whatever. 🤷‍♂️

On 6/12/2023 at 12:41 PM, The Wiz said:

I think it would be interested to know what everyone's opinion of McDermott would be if he was an offensive minded coach or if you just pretended he was.

Would people still be happy with the results that he's had or would they expect more?

My opinion of his past results would be the exact same, but I might be more hopeful than I am about future results.

I'm pretty well resigned that he's peaked.

Allen owned fangio’s defense in Denver. He made that game his personal highlight reel.

plus he gets to embarrass Ramsay.

JA17 he already owns Miami, so im not worried about the fish. Especially with mr concussion waiting to happen at any moment. 

Miami is a paper tiger

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

My opinion of his past results would be the exact same, but I might be more hopeful than I am about future results.

I'm pretty well resigned that he's peaked.

This is kind of my point though.  A defensive minded coach was able to perform as well as and offensive minded head coach (in theory) but because he's not an offensive minded head coach he has no room to improve offensively?

If anything you would think it would be the opposite since he's not familiar with the offensive workings like an offensive head coach would be.

With that's being said, I still don't know how much, if at all, McD is involved regarding the offense and just gives that to his OC like he apparently did with daboll.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This is kind of my point though.  A defensive minded coach was able to perform as well as and offensive minded head coach (in theory) but because he's not an offensive minded head coach he has no room to improve offensively?

If anything you would think it would be the opposite since he's not familiar with the offensive workings like an offensive head coach would be.

With that's being said, I still don't know how much, if at all, McD is involved regarding the offense and just gives that to his OC like he apparently did with daboll.

I loved English and hated math. I got the same score on the SAT. Sister Jeanne made sure of that. You can’t have weak spots, like a lousy second serve in tennis. It will kill you. 

You can be a “defensive coach”, and still have a good offense. See the Buffalo Bills rankings the last several years in nearly every offensive category. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, The Wiz said:

That's a very bizarre set of logic. I'm extremely unsatisfied with McDermott and the results he's brought. To invent a scenario where an offensive coach had the same results, and say, "just as good" doesn't make any sense. I'd want that offensive guy gone too. The plan isn't to hire an underachieving offensive mind - it's to hire a great one.

I was against the McDermott hire from the beginning because of his defensive leanings, outdated scheme, and a lack of being an elite coordinator. Now, maybe he turned out to be a great hire for what we needed at the time, but I've seen enough of him on Sundays to know that he isn't at the level of Championship-tier coaches. He doesn't resemble Belichick, Reid, Pederson, McVay or guys on the cusp like Siriani and Shananhan.

Never, NEVER, have I gone into a game and thought, McDermott is going to out maneuver the other team today - the Coach is going to win this one.

If you want to win it all, I think you need a coach that can do that, even if he doesn't have to. That, or you need a lot of luck to swing your way.

20 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

That's a very bizarre set of logic. I'm extremely unsatisfied with McDermott and the results he's brought. To invent a scenario where an offensive coach had the same results, and say, "just as good" doesn't make any sense. I'd want that offensive guy gone too. The plan isn't to hire an underachieving offensive mind - it's to hire a great one.

I was against the McDermott hire from the beginning because of his defensive leanings, outdated scheme, and a lack of being an elite coordinator. Now, maybe he turned out to be a great hire for what we needed at the time, but I've seen enough of him on Sundays to know that he isn't at the level of Championship-tier coaches. He doesn't resemble Belichick, Reid, Pederson, McVay or guys on the cusp like Siriani and Shananhan.

Never, NEVER, have I gone into a game and thought, McDermott is going to out maneuver the other team today - the Coach is going to win this one.

If you want to win it all, I think you need a coach that can do that, even if he doesn't have to. That, or you need a lot of luck to swing your way.

Based on your standards it sounds like you need a perfect season and championship every year if you are extremely unsatisfied.

As far as his defensive leaning, outdated scheme and lack of being an elite coordinator, maybe we will see something different from the defense this year now that Frasier isn't calling the defense.  I'm sure this is where you will say that it's still McD's defense that Frasier was running but that's not the same thing as who is making the play calls.

The offense, as far as I remember from Allen's statements in the past, are in the OC's hands on game day so other than their game plan meetings, I don't think he's really doing much in challenging/changing anything that is being called by Dorsey.

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Based on your standards it sounds like you need a perfect season and championship every year if you are extremely unsatisfied.

As far as his defensive leaning, outdated scheme and lack of being an elite coordinator, maybe we will see something different from the defense this year now that Frasier isn't calling the defense.  I'm sure this is where you will say that it's still McD's defense that Frasier was running but that's not the same thing as who is making the play calls.

The offense, as far as I remember from Allen's statements in the past, are in the OC's hands on game day so other than their game plan meetings, I don't think he's really doing much in challenging/changing anything that is being called by Dorsey.

And that's part of the problem. The rest of the coaches I mentioned are chess grandmasters of the NFL. Other coaches put pressure on our team, and we settle for the scraps instead of outsmarting them. The Cincinnati game was a prime example of us having absolutely no answer to gameplan adversity. We defer to dictate the pace of play far too often in big games. The heatstroke game in Miami is another example.

I don't need a perfect season by any means. What i need is situational awareness and execution that shows a coach knows exactly what he's doing. Coincidentally, if we had that, I believe we'd already have a championship or two. McD's teams run the most vanilla "beat the man across from you" systems I've seen in years. He's a coach born 40 years too late.

having an offense/defense that's top 5 is meaningless when the goal is to win a championship. Those ranking are determined in aggregate. Championships are determined based on situational football. When your team has to make 1 play, can they do it? What will the coach dial up?

Edited by BullBuchanan

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

And that's part of the problem. The rest of the coaches I mentioned are chess grandmasters of the NFL. Other coaches put pressure on our team, and we settle for the scraps instead of outsmarting them. The Cincinnati game was a prime example of us having absolutely no answer to gameplan adversity.

I don't need a perfect season by any means. What i need is situational awareness and execution that shows a coach knows exactly what he's doing. Coincidentally, if we had that, I believe we'd already have a championship or two. McD's teams run the most vanilla "beat the man across from you" systems I've seen in years. He's a coach born 40 years too late.

having an offense/defense that's top 5 is meaningless when the goal is to win a championship. Those ranking are determined in aggregate. Championships are determined based on situational football. When your team has to make 1 play, can they do it? What will the coach dial up?

I'll agree with you about the Cincy game.  Both the offense and defense had no answer for what they should do.

I do believe that Mcdermott has the situational awareness like the other coaches but like you said in your previous post, I really do think it does sometimes come down to just plan dumb luck.  A good example of that was against the titans when Allen slipped on 4th down.  I'd want them to go for that every time and I think he would instead of kicking for the tie and OT.

The thing that I will say that McD doesn't have that many of these other coaches have is a killer instinct.  He doesn't have that Belichick "if they can't stop it, we're just gonna keep running it" mentality.  He takes the foot off the gas when they get a 2 score lead and goes to a basic game plan.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I'll agree with you about the Cincy game.  Both the offense and defense had no answer for what they should do.

I do believe that Mcdermott has the situational awareness like the other coaches but like you said in your previous post, I really do think it does sometimes come down to just plan dumb luck.  A good example of that was against the titans when Allen slipped on 4th down.  I'd want them to go for that every time and I think he would instead of kicking for the tie and OT.

The thing that I will say that McD doesn't have that many of these other coaches have is a killer instinct.  He doesn't have that Belichick "if they can't stop it, we're just gonna keep running it" mentality.  He takes the foot off the gas when they get a 2 score lead and goes to a basic game plan.

The bolded is such a killer. I don't remember exactly which game it was, but it was a good way through the season and we we clamoring for the bills to run the ball and they finally started to. Going into halftime we were just wrecking them on the ground picking up 5-6 yards a clip. Then the bills come out int he 2nd half with a lead and just start throwing hail mary's again and we let the opponent back in the game.

We played multiple teams with battered offensive lines, including the Bengals who were down 3 starting linemen in our playoff game. Instead of changing up our looks and bringing pressure that backup olinemen cant deal with, they ran the same vanilla soft zone, rush 4 coverage they schemed in august.

And that type of stuff - taking advantage of glaring personnel weakness or broad scheme is the 101 stuff. That's the bare minimum and we don't do it. Guys like Reid and Belichick do things like, "I know they've seen us do a thing on tape, so we're going to set it up like we're doing that and then do a totally different thing to move the better player out of position to take advantage of the weaker player". Without being int he room, I'm fairly convinced that's how Travis Kelce is routinely open with no one 10 yards around him despite being the primary threat in nearly every game he's in.

On 6/12/2023 at 1:23 PM, benderbender said:

I really hate that he knows the formula and we’re too naïve to keep his mentions low. 

Yup. It’s wild to me that there are people who actually listen to him and Cowherd (Stephen A used to be in the same boat but he is entertaining to me). They know nothing about sports and say the dumbest things, why would anyone take them serious? But people listen, get mad, and they are doing their job. 

this extends into politics (that dork Clay Travis has admitted to creating the conservative sports outlet since he wasn’t good enough at his first effort) as well. Nothing like finding red meat to feed to people, get them all riled up, and then walk away smiling to the bank. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.