Colin Cowherd at it again

I'm Spartacus

Cowherd is paid to rile people up, so don't worry about his chatter. For a defensive minded coach I would like to see them make a stop when needed. Reference the 13 second game. 

Frazier had a bend don't break mentality. I'm going to be very interested in seeing what McD does with the defense this year. Hopefully a more aggressive defense.

3 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Today, Cowherd is beating his drum again about his dislike of defensive minded coaches. He brought up the Bills again, saying they are the 2nd highest paying team on defense in the NFL. His take (again) is we did nothing to bolster the offensive side of the ball. I definitely think we did. Your thoughts?

Out Crowder, McKenzie, in Harty and the guy from Miami, slips my mind.  In Kincaid, in McGovern and Torrence and some options to compete at RT.    The Bills have scored the most points in the NFL over the last three years, does he mention that?  If he did, I would ask what is he really trying to "fix"?   How does a team that completely ignores offense score the most points over the last three years?  Every roster has issues to knit pick, he may have a point about resources spent on defense but the GM focuses on both sides of the ball but the Bills are not devoid of offensive talent, Cowherd may be though.

I went into the off season with the belief that "fix the offensive line, and you fix the offense." I think there is certainly reason to be optimistic that we've improved the O-line. That being said, I don't see any major improvements to the offense beyond that.

At WR, it still looks like we're rolling with Davis at #2WR-- or at least, there is no clear candidate to upgrade that position. He had a woeful catch percentage, and one of the worst drop rates in the league. Perhaps Harty will be an upgrade to McKenzie as a player, but I have a hard time seeing him really emerge as an effective slot. 

At RB, I'm happy with the addition of Murray as a third-and-short guy, but IMO Harris is a lateral move from Motor, at best. Their stats are very similar, but Motor has been running in our spread offense while Harris has been with a Belichick* team that had been built around their run game for a few seasons now (all the Mac & Cheese hype notwithstanding). 

At TE, I think we will at some point see a significant upgrade with rookie Kincaid.

Basically, I'm optimistic that the offense will be improved. But, it's all on paper. I can't yet believe that they'll be better than they were last season.

Cowherd certainly does know how to put out the click bait…,    DON’T TAKE THE BAIT 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Of course, you're correct that one can avoid Cowherd and other people one doesn't like hearing from, but it also seems entirely reasonable to listen to different viewpoints, including those one may disagree with.

As far as "not wrong", I grade him "mixed".

Cowherd may or may not be wrong in his dislike of defensive minded head coaches.  Sirianni actually got his start as a DB coach.  Mike Tomlin was a WR, but came up the coaching ranks as a defensive coach.  Youngest HC to win a Superbowl in 2010.   Harbaugh ST coordinator and DB coach before becoming Ravens HC and winning the 2012 Superbowl.   Offensive head coaches are very "trendy" right now, but I think a quality coach is a quality coach.

He's not wrong, obviously it's factual, that the Bills are the #2 spending team in the NFL on D, though given that it's not even training camp yet, it remains to be seen how things shake out on 53 man rosters across the league. But we're actually spending more of the cap (52.23%) on offense than on defense (51.85%)  So pointing out the #2 spending team on defense, prior to training camp, seems like one of those "true but what does it mean?" facts.

"Nothing to bolster the offensive side of the ball" is just plain wrong.  1st round pick, Kincaid, TE  2nd round pick, O'Cyrus Torrence, OG  Our 2 biggest FA acquisitions were on offense - Connor McGovern, OG for $22.35M and Deonte Hardy for $9.5M.  One can debate whether they're the RIGHT offensive acquisitions, but not whether the Bills in fact tried to bolster the offense.

A lot has changed since Tomlin and Harbaugh found glory over a decade ago. 

“Defense wins championships,” is an antiquated philosophy. 

And even if defense DID still win championships, I’m not sure throwing out a geriatric defensive backfield and hanging your hopes on a geriatric Von Miller is the right way to go about things. 

I’m happy that the O line has been addressed (finally), but I still think we need a WR who complements Diggs in the playoffs and so far … nothing. 

I think it’s a legitimate concern. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

His take (again) is we did nothing to bolster the offensive side of the ball. I definitely think we did. Your thoughts?

Im sure you know a lot of people posting here agree with this take right?… well perhaps not “nothing” but think that more could have been done 

6 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

He's not wrong about the defense part. McDermott has had incredible resources poured into his defense and has been a major disappointment with it, especially against good competition. 

I thought the concensus last season was that Frazier just was not getting it done. 

Coming up with solid post-season game plans and making the adjustments needed more quickly during a game.

We will see this season what kind of juice McD has as a game-day coach, particularly down the stretch.

I am really curious how that change manifests over the season. 

I don't think the problem is

1.  being defensive minded. Or
  2. being the #1 or #2 spender on the defensive side of the roster. or
  3. spending most of the draft capital since Josh Allen was drafted (before 2023) on defensive players. 

I think the problem is doing  1,2 & 3 and having as a result a defense that chokes or doesn't show up in playoff games. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Today, Cowherd is beating his drum again about his dislike of defensive minded coaches. He brought up the Bills again, saying they are the 2nd highest paying team on defense in the NFL. His take (again) is we did nothing to bolster the offensive side of the ball. I definitely think we did. Your thoughts?

We added

Damian Harris- a proven tough yards, physical

Murray- another tough back

Sherfield- #3 WR in Miami last year, physical, one of stars of OTAs

Conor, Edwards, Cyrus, Shell- 1200+#s of OL

Kincaid- “best hands in 8 years scouting”, matchup problem

Hardy- another star of OTAs, “electric”

Shorter- former top recruit, 6’5- and the other 6’5 WRs in mix- WR 6 will be a battle!

Beane is still tinkering with roster, it’s very fluid.

Thats 9+ quality additions to Bills offense.

Cowherd showing he’s a fool who knows nothing about Beanes wizardry.  

mcfly Coward- you are going to learn

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Here’s an idea The Hoodie, Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson,  Chuck Noll  are all defensive minded coaches all are in Canton Ohio and have a combined 15 Super Bowl wins….every single one of them has a Hall of Fame QB.

8 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Colin has biases like that one which are way off base... he has ignored our moves on offense I think on purpose to make his point. One thing will solve this problem- McDermott has to show progress and why him coaching the D up instead of Frazier will make a marked difference.

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Of course, you're correct that one can avoid Cowherd and other people one doesn't like hearing from, but it also seems entirely reasonable to listen to different viewpoints, including those one may disagree with.

As far as "not wrong", I grade him "mixed".

Cowherd may or may not be wrong in his dislike of defensive minded head coaches.  Sirianni actually got his start as a DB coach.  Mike Tomlin was a WR, but came up the coaching ranks as a defensive coach.  Youngest HC to win a Superbowl in 2010.   Harbaugh ST coordinator and DB coach before becoming Ravens HC and winning the 2012 Superbowl.   Offensive head coaches are very "trendy" right now, but I think a quality coach is a quality coach.

He's not wrong, obviously it's factual, that the Bills are the #2 spending team in the NFL on D, though given that it's not even training camp yet, it remains to be seen how things shake out on 53 man rosters across the league. But we're actually spending more of the cap (52.23%) on offense than on defense (51.85%)  So pointing out the #2 spending team on defense, prior to training camp, seems like one of those "true but what does it mean?" facts.

"Nothing to bolster the offensive side of the ball" is just plain wrong.  1st round pick, Kincaid, TE  2nd round pick, O'Cyrus Torrence, OG  Our 2 biggest FA acquisitions were on offense - Connor McGovern, OG for $22.35M and Deonte Hardy for $9.5M.  One can debate whether they're the RIGHT offensive acquisitions, but not whether the Bills in fact tried to bolster the offense.

So to sum it up, the Bills spend more on offense because they have Allen and Diggs vs Defense.  Cool.   Now the biggest additions to the team were guys averaging ~7m and 3m a year on offense, but we had no issue dropping 20M a year in Miller.  So I agree w Coward, entirely too much dumped into D, when O is winning the big dance.

46 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Here’s an idea The Hoodie, Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson,  Chuck Noll  are all defensive minded coaches all are in Canton Ohio and have a combined 15 Super Bowl wins….every single one of them has a Hall of Fame QB.

completely different era long long gone 🤷‍♂️🙄🤷‍♂️

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Out Crowder, McKenzie, in Harty and the guy from Miami, slips my mind.  In Kincaid, in McGovern and Torrence and some options to compete at RT.    The Bills have scored the most points in the NFL over the last three years, does he mention that?  If he did, I would ask what is he really trying to "fix"?   How does a team that completely ignores offense score the most points over the last three years?  Every roster has issues to knit pick, he may have a point about resources spent on defense but the GM focuses on both sides of the ball but the Bills are not devoid of offensive talent, Cowherd may be though.

Get off the points per game, you have one of the best QBs in the game that has to shoulder the entire load bc he has arguably the worst line in the NFL, zero running game and only 1 WR that’s ever sniffed 1000 yards in a season. The reason it fails is being completely predicated on Allen balling out.   When it’s stop one player, playoff teams get it done. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This is what I wish they’d do… as opposed to giving money to guys like Floyd and brining back Poyer, give that money to Hopkins… I mean if your defense is going to get its ass kicked in the playoffs no matter who you sign, then what’s the difference?

I'll always be an 'invest in offense first' guy, but hoping McD defense delivers! Well live and die by that this year and see what he's made of. He needs to dig deep. I dunno if he has it,  but believe he'll give everything he has

2 hours ago, Pete said:

We added

Shorter- former top recruit, 6’5- and the other 6’5 WRs in mix- WR 6 will be a battle!

I am not taking Cowherd's side here, seriously... but...

Damian Harris is a lateral move from Motor-- at best.

Murray is 33 years old (that's really, really old in dog years!!!).

Sherfield is a little known commodity with a 56.3% catch percentage. That's just a hair above Gabe Davis.

Kincaid should be great, but he is a rookie.

Deante Harty has had four starts in his career. He's spent the bulk of his career as P/KR.

Shorter is a 5th round rookie. 

The one thing I have confidence in are the additions to the O-line-- but all of it's just on paper. There is reason to be optimistic that the offense will be improved from last season. But such an ascendence is certainly reliant on quite a few "ifs" falling in our favor.

Edited by Rocky Landing

2 hours ago, Pete said:

We added

Damian Harris - average RB

Murray - old, average RB

Sherfield - undrafted nobody who has never done much as a receiver

Conor McGovern - paid very good money for a guy whose never been a full time starter

Edwards - damaged goods

Torrence - rookie and built for different scheme than rest of Bills OL

Broeker - late round rookie

Shell - washed up vet who spent part of last season on practice squad until injuries forced him into action

Hardy - undrafted, very undersized, has produced little as a receiver and missed most of last year injured

Shorter - special teamer

That's the outside opinion of the Bills offensive acquisitions.   Every team has a bunch of these rando's who they hope will be better than they've been recently or ever.

Kincaid is the only one whose potential is very intriguing.........but he's a rookie.

I do think that that they threw enough chips at the OL that it should be improved even if a couple of those guys are failures.    If Kincaid turns into a star, then the WR corps could be good enough........but it's a big ask for a rookie.   The WR free agent additions are just shots in the dark.   Hopefully they produce but we thought that about OJ Howard and Jamison Crowder as well.   Heck, you might be one of the Tavon Austin-believers from when he was "electric" in OTA's last year.:lol:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Did not have a lot of money to spend, but often to free agents would you have liked to of seen that we could’ve actually afforded

Keep in mind, most of the people we brought are on minimum deals

He gave Oliver a big new contract.  Was that really the best possible use of resources?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.