Colin Cowherd at it again

I'm Spartacus

Today, Cowherd is beating his drum again about his dislike of defensive minded coaches. He brought up the Bills again, saying they are the 2nd highest paying team on defense in the NFL. His take (again) is we did nothing to bolster the offensive side of the ball. I definitely think we did. Your thoughts?

• Haha (+1) 1

I think it would be interested to know what everyone's opinion of McDermott would be if he was an offensive minded coach or if you just pretended he was.

Would people still be happy with the results that he's had or would they expect more?

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I think it would be interested to know what everyone's opinion of McDermott would be if he was an offensive minded coach or if you just pretended he was.

Would people still be happy with the results that he's had or would they expect more?

This team is SB or bust and has been for a couple years now. Anything less is a disappointment.  Doesnt matter the coach. You can have a good season with lots of regular season wins but at this point anything less than playing in the SuperBowl is a failed season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

36 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Today, Cowherd is beating his drum again about his dislike of defensive minded coaches. He brought up the Bills again, saying they are the 2nd highest paying team on defense in the NFL. His take (again) is we did nothing to bolster the offensive side of the ball. I definitely think we did. Your thoughts?

He likes stirring the pot to get clicks and views, and he knows the Bills fanbase will fall into the trap he set.

Edited by Big Turk

40 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

The bigger issue is they spend a lot of money and resources on defense and still get steamrolled by good offenses. So, in that light, yeah it's a waste of money. 

Go out and put up 50 a game with a god tier Oline and weapons and dare people to keep up with you.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He's not wrong

If you don't like hearing about it tho it's easy to avoid him

Of course, you're correct that one can avoid Cowherd and other people one doesn't like hearing from, but it also seems entirely reasonable to listen to different viewpoints, including those one may disagree with.

As far as "not wrong", I grade him "mixed".

Cowherd may or may not be wrong in his dislike of defensive minded head coaches.  Sirianni actually got his start as a DB coach.  Mike Tomlin was a WR, but came up the coaching ranks as a defensive coach.  Youngest HC to win a Superbowl in 2010.   Harbaugh ST coordinator and DB coach before becoming Ravens HC and winning the 2012 Superbowl.   Offensive head coaches are very "trendy" right now, but I think a quality coach is a quality coach.

He's not wrong, obviously it's factual, that the Bills are the #2 spending team in the NFL on D, though given that it's not even training camp yet, it remains to be seen how things shake out on 53 man rosters across the league. But we're actually spending more of the cap (52.23%) on offense than on defense (51.85%)  So pointing out the #2 spending team on defense, prior to training camp, seems like one of those "true but what does it mean?" facts.

"Nothing to bolster the offensive side of the ball" is just plain wrong.  1st round pick, Kincaid, TE  2nd round pick, O'Cyrus Torrence, OG  Our 2 biggest FA acquisitions were on offense - Connor McGovern, OG for $22.35M and Deonte Hardy for $9.5M.  One can debate whether they're the RIGHT offensive acquisitions, but not whether the Bills in fact tried to bolster the offense.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

While we don't have a Lombardi to show for our efforts, we have been one of the best teams in the NFL for a few years now - both on offense and defense.  You can nitpick Beane and McD but overall, they've been very successful in a competitive field.  Let's not get too carried away with our criticisms.  

But the goal is the SB, so we do need to get better.  And offensively Beane added depth to the receiving corps as well as a new kind of weapon in Kincaid, bolstered the OL, and added power and talent to the backfield.

The cap forces GMs to prioritize and I think Beane has been guilty of under-prioritizing the OL.  But he addressed that this offseason.   

37 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

We would have certainly spent less draft capital on D-line during his tenure if he were offensive minded.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.